MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 02:30 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I come up with five teams that fit:

Boston:  Grant Williams or Tatum or both can play forward next to KP
Charlotte:  P. J. Washington can play forward next to KP
Detroit:  Grant can play forward next to KP
GS:  Draymond can play forward next to KP
Toronto:  Siakam or Boucher can play forward next to KP.

I have a few dark horses.

Spurs: 47.8m projected capspace and a mediocre free agent market. They have added some young talent but still refuse to embrace the rebuild. They also have more traditional schemes on both ends. Less switching on defense. Less 3s. More Post ups/midrange on offense.
Pelicans: Could easily use Adams and Ball (sign and trade) to mach salaries. On paper the "healthy/best" version of KP is a perfect fit next to Zion. Spaces the floor and protects the rim.
Wizards: Rumored to be interested at the deadline but I just don´t see a package that makes sense for the Mavs.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 02:30 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Everyone else either already has a center or the other big can’t be paired with KP.  It does no good to wish for a Myles Turner for KP deal as there is no way of pairing KP with Sabonis.  These KP for LaVine proposals sound nice in the fantasy realm until you realize in the real world that means KP and Vucevic are playing together.  Yeah, right.
Really good read as always! This paragraph however assumes no third team involved. If GSW or Was (or any of the teams you mentioned) want him really bad and KP isn’t a target for Ind, however, we see the value in Ind players, a deal can be done. With rumors flying around about multiple Ind players it sounds like they’re in the mood to switch things up.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 02:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Spurs: 47.8m projected capspace and a mediocre free agent market. They have added some young talent but still refuse to embrace the rebuild. They also have more traditional schemes on both ends. Less switching on defense. Less 3s.

I think Spurs want to put Pop on top of the list of coaches with most wins. He is 25 wins behind number 1 Nelson. So another semi mediocre season is enough. That's why I think they will not go full tank for another season. KP would make sense for them. I would want White plus in the trade. I'd prefer Murray but I doubt SA is willing to trade him for anyone.

I love THJ but I don't believe he can work next to Luka. There is just not enough D. I'd love him to stay but as a 6th man.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 02:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Spurs: 47.8m projected capspace and a mediocre free agent market. They have added some young talent but still refuse to embrace the rebuild. They also have more traditional schemes on both ends. Less switching on defense. Less 3s. More Post ups/midrange on offense.

This is making more sense to me with each passing day, personally. If there's one team in the league desperate enough to avoid going full rebuild to think they can build around KP, it's SA. And the stuff you mention about their cap/roster situation is highly relevant, too. It's one of the few KP destinations where maybe, just maybe a deal doesn't have to result in the Mavs eating a crap sandwich in return, imho.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-30-2021

One thing I was thinking about is relating the KP situation to the bungled Wolves Butler trade which turned out to be worse. Wolves traded Lauri + LaVine to the Bulls to Wolves and Butler never really fit into the Wolves roster. Butler was a bit more publicly sour than KP. Not an exact comparison as Butler was older, better, grumpier and on a shorter contract at the time. 

The Wolves only really got Robert Covington and Saric (when we thought Saric was better than he turned out to be). RoCo was in his prime and on a great contract but that's still a pretty small return for multiple time all-star Jimmy Butler.

Again KP is in a different situation, younger but not as good with a long-term deal. I think at the end of the day you will get something good back just like the Wolves got a good player in RoCo back but you aren't going to get a "star" probably unless you get someone in a S&T.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 02:30 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I come up with five teams that fit:

Boston:  Grant Williams or Tatum or both can play forward next to KP
Charlotte:  P. J. Washington can play forward next to KP
Detroit:  Grant can play forward next to KP
GS:  Draymond can play forward next to KP
Toronto:  Siakam or Boucher can play forward next to KP.

A big consideration will be does the team paying for $100 mil for KP is does he want to be there? We are seeing right now what it's like to have a max player who doesn't want to be here. I think Boston, GSW, & probably Toronto could probably answer yes to that question or find out by talking to KP's agent. I am not sure KP would want to be in Charlotte or Detroit since they aren't premier destinations or contenders. Detroit to me would just be another NYK situation where you are going to be mediocre.

I would have Washington on the list because they have rumored interest and would be desperate to try to form a big 3. They have two star guards so KP would naturally fit as their star "big."

(05-30-2021, 03:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is making more sense to me with each passing day, personally. If there's one team in the league desperate enough to avoid going full rebuild to think they can build around KP, it's SA. And the stuff you mention about their cap/roster situation is highly relevant, too. It's one of the few KP destinations where maybe, just maybe a deal doesn't have to result in the Mavs eating a crap sandwich in return, imho.

Ya I like this whole Spurs angle a lot. Would definitely rekindle the Spurs / Mavs rivalry, to put it mildly.

Pop would be able to feature KP like he did Aldridge. Aldridge was more reliable offensively but Pop would also be probably the best coach in the league in getting KP good looks and getting buy-in from KP. To me the trade starts with a DeRozan S&T. Mavs would be able to "overpay" DR in that they are getting out of KP's contract. Mavs would need to talk DR into the fit side of things but offering a big contract would help. DR is one of those guys with an extremely high floor as a player. You know what you are getting from him.

Spurs would have an instant replacement for LA and would still have to figure out their guard situation but at least they would have a pretty good young group of players under contract (Murray, White, Walker, KP) and I think still cap space to add another player.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 02:54 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Really good read as always! This paragraph however assumes no third team involved. If GSW or Was (or any of the teams you mentioned) want him really bad and KP isn’t a target for Ind, however, we see the value in Ind players, a deal can be done. With rumors flying around about multiple Ind players it sounds like they’re in the mood to switch things up.

Thanks.  The NBA Podcast from yesterday has Caitlyn Cooper as a guest.  Really good listen as she is a goddess for all things Pacers if you want some insight on their team.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 03:25 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Ya I like this whole Spurs angle a lot. Would definitely rekindle the Spurs / Mavs rivalry, to put it mildly.

Pop would be able to feature KP like he did Aldridge. Aldridge was more reliable offensively but Pop would also be probably the best coach in the league in getting KP good looks and getting buy-in from KP. To me the trade starts with a DeRozan S&T. Mavs would be able to "overpay" DR in that they are getting out of KP's contract. Mavs would need to talk DR into the fit side of things but offering a big contract would help. DR is one of those guys with an extremely high floor as a player. You know what you are getting from him.

Spurs would have an instant replacement for LA and would still have to figure out their guard situation but at least they would have a pretty good young group of players under contract (Murray, White, Walker, KP) and I think still cap space to add another player.

I think the Spurs trade makes more sense as a salary dump with some young guys or picks coming back. At least for the Spurs. If they decide to make a move for KP they want to go for it in the next few seasons. KP would be the 1a/b next to DeRozan.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - loki - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 02:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I have a few dark horses.

Spurs: 47.8m projected capspace and a mediocre free agent market. They have added some young talent but still refuse to embrace the rebuild. They also have more traditional schemes on both ends. Less switching on defense. Less 3s. More Post ups/midrange on offense.
Pelicans: Could easily use Adams and Ball (sign and trade) to mach salaries. On paper the "healthy/best" version of KP is a perfect fit next to Zion. Spaces the floor and protects the rim.
Wizards: Rumored to be interested at the deadline but I just don´t see a package that makes sense for the Mavs.

I'm skeptical they would deal him within the division. Especially to New Orleans since he would be such a good fit with Zion. I'd put money on KP going East if he's moved.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 02:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I have a few dark horses.

Those were two of my last cuts.  I like Adams here, but struggle to see KP and Zion working well.

I think you schooled me once upon a time on the strengths of Poeltl defensively.  I eliminated them on the basis of KP with Poeltl.  Who covers the perimeter?  Are you thinking of KP instead of Poeltl.  White plus Poeltl as the outgoing?  Then SA hires the PF they need?  Of course, they’d largely be in the same position we are in now...finding a PF to fit next to KP.  I guess it doesn’t have to be strictly a cap room deal.  DeRozan as outgoing for a PF?

If Mavs did 25-30 mil/yr for DR they would still be able to keep THJ and add at least 1 more top 7-8 rotation piece.

Luka/Brunson
DR/THJ
DFS/Green
Maxi/FA
Powell/WCS

+ FA additions

Mavs in this situation are very guard heavy to say the least. That being said DR has position flex on offense so the issue is more about having enough defensive players to surround Luka/DR/THJ & Brunson. All 4 of those guys are good closers but defensively its hard to picture how you could play them all at the same time.

Also because of the money situation Rick might be inclined to start all 3 of Luka, DR and THJ or at least try it. One of them, probably Luka would sub out in the first to have Luka and DR staggered some. At any rate the roster is not perfect but at least it solves your KP problem.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 05-30-2021

I say we figure out how to get this starting lineup:

Luka/THJ/DDR/LM/Vuc

Why play defense when you can play offense?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 02:30 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: teams that fit

Can you talk me through why OKC wouldn't be a possible fit? 

I think OKC could use KP as a way to use and consolidate some of their current picks WHILE rehabbing KP's image so they can try to flip him again in a trade in a couple years.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 03:43 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think you schooled me once upon a time on the strengths of Poeltl defensively.  I eliminated them on the basis of KP with Poeltl.  Who covers the perimeter?  Are you thinking of KP instead of Poeltl.  White plus Poeltl as the outgoing?  Then SA hires the PF they need?  Of course, they’d largely be in the same position we are in now...finding a PF to fit next to KP.  I guess it doesn’t have to be strictly a cap room deal.  DeRozan as outgoing for a PF?

Poeltl can stay as back up C or third big. If SA renounces everyone they have roughly 50 mil of cap space. Even if the only outgoing salary in the KP trade would be White, they would still have over 30 mil to play with. They would have Murray and Walker at guards, Johnon and Vassell at wings. Samanic as back up PF or fourth big. The only big hole they'd have would be PF. So they can go with Collins, Olynik, Theis for example. I think they have credible options. KP/Collins would be awesome summer for them.

(05-30-2021, 03:57 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Can you talk me through why OKC wouldn't be a possible fit? 

I think OKC could use KP as a way to use and consolidate some of their current picks WHILE rehabbing KP's image so they can try to flip him again in a trade in a couple years.
Hmmm, a Horford/pick centric trade might not be horrible. Issue would be what can we do in trade to get players out of the picks?

Edit: I’m talking a lot of picks though. One for taking on Horford and 3 for KP.

I still think GSW will want KP for Wiggins and the Minney pick. Mavs could probably route Wiggins elsewhere if they don't want him altho he would be a solid 2 way wing. Horford is a guy you could get to play the stretch 5 if you don't want Wiggins.

(05-30-2021, 03:43 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Those were two of my last cuts.  I like Adams here, but struggle to see KP and Zion working well.

I think you schooled me once upon a time on the strengths of Poeltl defensively.  I eliminated them on the basis of KP with Poeltl.  Who covers the perimeter?  Are you thinking of KP instead of Poeltl.  White plus Poeltl as the outgoing?  Then SA hires the PF they need?  Of course, they’d largely be in the same position we are in now...finding a PF to fit next to KP.  I guess it doesn’t have to be strictly a cap room deal.  DeRozan as outgoing for a PF?

All three teams I listed would probably send their current starting center to Dallas. Adams. Poeltl. Bryant.
White is a good option for the Mavs. Would definitely ask for him or one of the younger guys (Vassell, picks).
Already mentioned it. I think the Spurs do a trade like this if they intend to bring back DeRozan. Build around DeRozan/KP. On paper they have some young and talented wings/ perimeter forwards that can play next to KP (Samanic, Johnson).

For the Mavs it would be a salary dump + x deal. You already mentioned the possibility of a KP trade that creates additional capspace.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 02:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Wizards: Rumored to be interested at the deadline but I just don´t see a package that makes sense for the Mavs.

I would take Bertans, Avdija, Bryant, and #15 for KP.

(05-30-2021, 04:00 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Hmmm, a Horford/pick centric trade might not be horrible. Issue would be what can we do in trade to get players out of the picks?

Edit: I’m talking a lot of picks though. One for taking on Horford and 3 for KP.

I suppose OKC has picks to burn to maybe not the craziest idea. Horford would fit the scheme better and Mavs would have picks to make more moves.