MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cjeter24 - 05-29-2021

(05-29-2021, 09:05 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Let me start by saying that Mavs gave KP the ball a lot during the reg season and also KP needs to show he can take advantage of his size...

But last night almost seemed like a slap in the face towards KP...

He doesnt get many touches or shots in first 3 quarters(people claiming Brunson looking him off even though he wide open - same thing was done during the reg season with Brunson and Luka not passing to him even though he was wide open)...then Mavs are down in a heated Playoff game and the start of the 4th quarter the Mavs start pushing the ball to KP.   Almost like they were saying we dont want to do this but lets prove to people you cant produce on offense inside the 3 line...so here are a few touches in a row if you think you can prove yourself.   

He didnt really do anything.

Not that at all. It was "Oh you are going to go small? We'll just abuse you with our 7 footer." KP got some great looks too and missed all of them lol. 
There are other ways to exploit the size difference other than backing down someone in the post every possession. I expect that's the adjustment in game 4 and KP has a big game.

(05-29-2021, 09:12 PM)Branduil Wrote: I mean KP is a max player. Max players need help sure, but he plays next to Luka Doncic. If he still can't succeed in that situation, if he can't motivate himself to play hard with a playoff series on the line, maybe that's on him.

I don't think it's a matter of motivation or effort but frustration with his play. He's always had a bad issue with how he is playing on offense, effect his entire game. It's maddening. 

He's clearly very week minded and goes too much off emotions. He needs to grow the heck up too.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-29-2021

The Lauri rumor is pretty interesting.

Also related if SA was previously interested in KP, now interested in Lauri (similar player) would they be interested in a DR S&T? Seems like they would have to be given the likelihood that DR just walks for nothing. Both sides would be retaining a "star" player in that situation. Mavs could then try to land Lauri in a S&T as a KP replacement.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HoosierDaddyKid - 05-29-2021

(05-26-2021, 12:26 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: For Boston would you take back Smart, Horford + a first round pick in a 3 way deal?

The trade would be KP + filler to Boston. Kemba to OKC (who every year basically takes on a bad contract), Horford, Smart plus a Celtics lotto-protected pick. Boston would do this because KP adds another dimension to their offense they are lacking. Smart's stock is lower but would be a great fit I think on the Mavs. Horford does more what Rick needs his stretch 5 to do on both ends. Mavs would probably then resign THJ and fill in depth with MLE.

Luka/Brunson
Smart/THJ
DFS/Green
Powell/WCS
Horford/Maxi

THJ would get paid a lot to come off the bench but like Jet he would be bench in name only basically. Rick would have the option to start THJ and bring Smart off the bench.

Last time I checked, Horford is on the Thunder.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cjeter24 - 05-29-2021

In regards to his fit with the offense as a whole.... I think that the injuries are a big reason why that is still a problem. 

He's not been able to go at the start of the season in full swing. They still had him going thru a program the first year and he really struggled out of the gate. No chance to get chemistry or fit there. And then he's been hurt and started the season late here. Short offseason. Lots of factors that kill the time to figure out his game and place. 

I think you can give some of the blame to RC here too. Now he's had to win games best he can and try to implement him on the fly multiple times but it's really hard to figure out what the Mavs really want him to be doing on offense. Is it be a post guy? Spot up 3 pt shooter? PNR/PNP big? They need to figure out what he is. 

Frankly I think he's completely under utilized here based on his skillset. He's a good passer and very quick for his size. I mean you see him able to put the ball down and drive past other bigs. I think you got to find ways to let him be more of a facilitator and also find ways to move him around more. He's basically only popping and getting the ball thrown into him into the post like he's Dirk. He's not Dirk and I don't think RC and the Mavs have realized he's got a completely different game other than being able to shoot 3s. Or they refuse to adjust their offense out of the dirk mold.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 05-29-2021

(05-29-2021, 08:45 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: I think half of KPs issues are on KP and half is on Carlisle.
KPs effort is very random but Carlisle has been terrible at getting KP involved in the offence.

If Carlisle can’t or won’t get KP better opportunities then they definitely need to trade him.
Kind is scared about what they can get back for him unless a lesser team thinks KP can be their 1a or 1b option.

I 100% agree with this

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Chicagojk - 05-30-2021

I think a lot of us have been saying we want toughness.  Not dirty, but toughness.  These are the times where you need to see it.   Sure, I would like to see Porzingis make more shots and play better defense.  But it all starts with mental toughness and fight.  If that is not there, then the rest doesn't really matter.   Do they go down swinging?

Early in Dirk's career I remember a playoff series against the Spurs where he lost a tooth but came back and played well.   At that point, Dirk wasn't ready to lead a team to a championship (as we saw a few years later), but we all saw his fight and toughness.   

Sure your shots may not going down or you may not like how you are used on offense, but you got to show that fight.  You can't disappear for long stretches.   I think the rest of this series will give us a real good impression if KP is built for these high pressured playoff games.  It doesn't need to be pretty, graceful or even efficient.  But we need to see that fight!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ThisIStheYear - 05-30-2021

(05-29-2021, 08:45 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: I think half of KPs issues are on KP and half is on Carlisle.
KPs effort is very random but Carlisle has been terrible at getting KP involved in the offence.
If Carlisle can’t or won’t get KP better opportunities then they definitely need to trade him.
Kind is scared about what they can get back for him unless a lesser team thinks KP can be their 1a or 1b option.

I agree 50%!  If anything, Carlisle needs to figure out how to get KP involved on the defensive side. That’s his job one.  Last I checked, KP is playing center, the defensive anchor for an NBA team. Nine defensive boards and 3 blocks in three games while giving up nearly 75% at the rim isn’t nearly good enough, even for a bad starting center. The scoring will come and go. But an NBA center must contribute on the defensive side. That’s going to require individual effort and focus.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 09:43 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I agree 50%!  If anything, Carlisle needs to figure out how to get KP involved on the defensive side. That’s his job one.  Last I checked, KP is playing center, the defensive anchor for an NBA team. Nine defensive boards and 3 blocks in three games while giving up nearly 75% at the rim isn’t nearly good enough, even for a bad starting center. The scoring will come and go. But an NBA center must contribute on the defensive side. That’s going to require individual effort and focus.

Easier said than done. How do you hide KP on defense? Take advantage of his length around the rim? Cannot play a switching scheme because he is getting embarassed on the perimeter. Cannot play drop defense because Kawhi and PG cannot miss from midrange or just finish through KP. Cannot play zone because the Clippers have 5-out spacing. When they go small Kawhi is the guy with the worst 3-point percentage. Rest is shooting 40% +.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ThisIStheYear - 05-30-2021

Hide?  KP needs to be the man on defense!  Maybe he can’t stop the three point shot, but KP needs to rack up defensive boards and block shots when the Clippers get in the lane.  No one should consistently finish through him. He makes too much money for that.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 10:12 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Hide?  KP needs to be the man on defense!  Maybe he can’t stop the three point shot, but KP needs to rack up defensive boards and block shots when the Clippers get in the lane.  No one should consistently finish through him. He makes too much money for that.

KP is a liability. Yes. He should be the guy that you are asking for but he moves like oldman Dirk and cannot guard a chair on the perimeter. Clippers are playing 5-out small ball. I listed the most common options/schemes to counter it.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - khaled1987 - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 10:24 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: He should be the guy that you are asking for but he moves like oldman Dirk 

I wish he plays like 36 years Dirk, he would have at least punished those smaller match up he had

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs03 - 05-30-2021

If KP has any pride, we need a dominant performance from him.  Minimum 20 points and 10 rebounds against the small-ball lineup of the Clippers.  If Luka and THJ do their thing along with KP, we can weather the storm of the Clippers.  Hopefully, the crowd will be raucous like it was on Friday night.  What an atmosphere that was at the AAC.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 12:16 PM)Mavs03 Wrote: Hopefully, the crowd will be raucous like it was on Friday night.  What an atmosphere that was at the AAC.

I didn't really get that feel over the ESPN broadcast but they do mute the stadium sound. Was it really that raucous?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs03 - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 12:39 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:  

I didn't really get that feel over the ESPN broadcast but they do mute the stadium sound. Was it really that raucous?

Yes it was.  Great atmosphere.  I watched it on Bally Sports Southwest.  I switched it to the ESPN broadcast for a brief moment and quickly went back to Bally.  Richard Jefferson is a terrible analyst.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-30-2021

KP has to be aggressive on defense and stop saving fouls. I think he will get the message this game. If he isn't contesting shots inside he is too much of a liability on both ends of the court in this matchup. I don't really care if he's unhappy about it.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HoosierDaddyKid - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 12:46 PM)Mavs03 Wrote: Yes it was.  Great atmosphere.  I watched it on Bally Sports Southwest.  I switched it to the ESPN broadcast for a brief moment and quickly went back to Bally.  Richard Jefferson is a terrible analyst.

Agreed. He's horrible. Don't know who's worse, him or CWebb.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 05-30-2021

I thought I’d entertain the idea of KP trades today.  At least partially this is an attempt to influence the cosmos.  Normally if I post a “trade Player X” deal, they will go off for 30/12 the next game (fingers crossed).  I’ve largely ignored the KP situation outside the first week or so when the rumors broke in February.  I don’t have a strong feeling about this, but have felt (until recently) the Mav’s would stand pat.  Not so sure right this minute.

I tend to start either with money or with the needs of other teams.  Not much point in starting with players I want if the other team isn’t going to want KP.  I think you have to have a specific personnel mix to make KP work.  He’s going to wine incessantly if you don’t play him at center and you can’t play him at all if you don’t have another big who can help with the boards and perimeter D. 

I come up with five teams that fit:

Boston:  Grant Williams or Tatum or both can play forward next to KP
Charlotte:  P. J. Washington can play forward next to KP
Detroit:  Grant can play forward next to KP
GS:  Draymond can play forward next to KP
Toronto:  Siakam or Boucher can play forward next to KP.

Everyone else either already has a center or the other big can’t be paired with KP.  It does no good to wish for a Myles Turner for KP deal as there is no way of pairing KP with Sabonis.  These KP for LaVine proposals sound nice in the fantasy realm until you realize in the real world that means KP and Vucevic are playing together.  Yeah, right.

It probably pays to note financial before getting to deep into returning players.  Boston gave away Theis to avoid LT this season.  I think there are deals to be done here, but not if Dallas is throwing them well into the LT.  The nice thing about Charlotte, Detroit and Toronto is they have significant financial flexibility this summer, so you don’t have to salary match.  I don’t think Detroit is at the right place in its development to do a KP deal (it would be the ultimate in impatience IMHO).  GS has been talked about before.  The issue is someone has to want Wiggins (or pay Oubre $20 million in a deal that also includes Looney).

Starting with Boston, I see two paths and both include Robert Williams III.  Either you go Smart/Thompson/RWIII or Kemba/RWIII.  Note that Smart and Kemba are Excel guys and both Grant and Robert Williams are Duffy guys.  My leaning is the former and Dallas can either keep or S/W Thompson.  Boston is going to have to pay Smart in a year or lose him for nothing (which they’ve done a lot of in recent years).  Fournier and the rookies can absorb the minutes that have traditionally gone to Smart.  

Any Toronto deal probably involves a S&T for someone.  Boucher has a year left and his agent is the same as the agent for Willie and Burke.  Lowry is a Bartelstein guy as is THJ.  

I’ve posted on Charlotte deals before.  I think they have some nice pieces.  It is probably Rozier and a younger player.  Rozier has a year left and Charlotte has to make decisions about Graham and Monk right now.  They will probably lose Monk now or Rozier later.  So, why not cash in Rozier for their biggest need.  PJ probably needs to stay to make KP work, so, it would probably need to be Bridges or maybe McDaniels.  Monk and Zeller are Excel guys and McDaniels is a Duffy guy.

I’m not going to try to balance out with picks or other players.  This also ignores another important element of the summer.  Sending out KP for a player or two from either Boston, Toronto or Charlotte probably leaves significant cap room to fill in whatever holes are still left.  Many of the names we often discuss would still be in the discussion for the remaining room.  For instance, with Smart and RWIII, there would be a part to LM and THJ...or Collins to play next to RWIII.  In a Charlotte deal, Holmes makes sense next to McDaniels/Maxi (or Maxi/McDaniels if you prefer).

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 02:30 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I thought I’d entertain the idea of KP trades today.  At least partially this is an attempt to influence the cosmos.  Normally if I post a “trade Player X” deal, they will go off for 30/12 the next game (fingers crossed).  I’ve largely ignored the KP situation outside the first week or so when the rumors broke in February.  I don’t have a strong feeling about this, but have felt (until recently) the Mav’s would stand pat.  Not so sure right this minute.

I tend to start either with money or with the needs of other teams.  Not much point in starting with players I want if the other team isn’t going to want KP.  I think you have to have a specific personnel mix to make KP work.  He’s going to wine incessantly if you don’t play him at center and you can’t play him at all if you don’t have another big who can help with the boards and perimeter D. 

I come up with five teams that fit:

Boston:  Grant Williams or Tatum or both can play forward next to KP
Charlotte:  P. J. Washington can play forward next to KP
Detroit:  Grant can play forward next to KP
GS:  Draymond can play forward next to KP
Toronto:  Siakam or Boucher can play forward next to KP.

Everyone else either already has a center or the other big can’t be paired with KP.  It does no good to wish for a Myles Turner for KP deal as there is no way of pairing KP with Sabonis.  These KP for LaVine proposals sound nice in the fantasy realm until you realize in the real world that means KP and Vucevic are playing together.  Yeah, right.

It probably pays to note financial before getting to deep into returning players.  Boston gave away Theis to avoid LT this season.  I think there are deals to be done here, but not if Dallas is throwing them well into the LT.  The nice thing about Charlotte, Detroit and Toronto is they have significant financial flexibility this summer, so you don’t have to salary match.  I don’t think Detroit is at the right place in its development to do a KP deal (it would be the ultimate in impatience IMHO).  GS has been talked about before.  The issue is someone has to want Wiggins (or pay Oubre $20 million in a deal that also includes Looney).

Starting with Boston, I see two paths and both include Robert Williams III.  Either you go Smart/Thompson/RWIII or Kemba/RWIII.  Note that Smart and Kemba are Excel guys and both Grant and Robert Williams are Duffy guys.  My leaning is the former and Dallas can either keep or S/W Thompson.  Boston is going to have to pay Smart in a year or lose him for nothing (which they’ve done a lot of in recent years).  Fournier and the rookies can absorb the minutes that have traditionally gone to Smart.  

Any Toronto deal probably involves a S&T for someone.  Boucher has a year left and his agent is the same as the agent for Willie and Burke.  Lowry is a Bartelstein guy as is THJ.  

I’ve posted on Charlotte deals before.  I think they have some nice pieces.  It is probably Rozier and a younger player.  Rozier has a year left and Charlotte has to make decisions about Graham and Monk right now.  They will probably lose Monk now or Rozier later.  So, why not cash in Rozier for their biggest need.  PJ probably needs to stay to make KP work, so, it would probably need to be Bridges or maybe McDaniels.  Monk and Zeller are Excel guys and McDaniels is a Duffy guy.

I’m not going to try to balance out with picks or other players.  This also ignores another important element of the summer.  Sending out KP for a player or two from either Boston, Toronto or Charlotte probably leaves significant cap room to fill in whatever holes are still left.  Many of the names we often discuss would still be in the discussion for the remaining room.  For instance, with Smart and RWIII, there would be a part to LM and THJ...or Collins to play next to RWIII.  In a Charlotte deal, Holmes makes sense next to McDaniels/Maxi (or Maxi/McDaniels if you prefer).

Great stuff here, @"DanSchwartzgan"!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HoosierDaddyKid - 05-30-2021

You guys want toughness?  Mavs have nobody on their team that has the persona to muck it up.  Luka might be the closest one. You had JJ he had it in spades, but he's gone. And most on here complained about his play.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 02:37 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: You guys want toughness?

Toughness attached to a player who is good enough to be in the playoff rotation, and not just some deep bench novelty would be an improvement, yes. 

Although, I will say the team seems much tougher mentally than last season, at least to me. I think the last problem with softness is centered around their paint defense and ability to clear the defensive glass and not about their willingness to standup to the other team, if that makes sense.