MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-29-2021

(05-29-2021, 12:33 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1398637919708004352

Is he saying this happens a lot?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 05-29-2021

(05-29-2021, 12:58 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Talking about his value.
How can you say people are talking about his value when we had a TDL FULL of it including you!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-29-2021

(05-29-2021, 01:17 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: How can you say people are talking about his value when we had a TDL FULL of it including you!

I think this was just phrased badly. Started a new line of thoughts. But in general...
Because even the last few posters that were in denial are finally coming to the conclusion that KP is not as good or valuable. Here is the not so nice version.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 05-29-2021

(05-29-2021, 01:30 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think this was just phrased badly. Started a new line of thoughts. But in general...
Because even the last few posters that were in denial are finally coming to the conclusion that KP is not as good or valuable. Here is the not so nice version.

[Image: giphy.gif]
When or if he is traded, I will post the same thing to you. He's not as invaluable as you are saying.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Scott41theMavs - 05-29-2021

(05-29-2021, 11:22 AM)Tikkun Olam Wrote:
I think Turner and Warren is an excellent return for KP.

Sure... and it even becomes realistic if the Mavs send Brunson, DFS, three unprotected picks and two pick swaps as well.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-29-2021

(05-29-2021, 01:34 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: When or if he is traded, I will post the same thing to you. He's not as invaluable as you are saying.

We will see. I hope that you are right. Maybe some GMs are still in denial. Just don´t see it.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - khaled1987 - 05-29-2021

https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1398497792419516420

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 05-29-2021

https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/1398708540353568768?s=20

(05-29-2021, 01:38 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: We will see. I hope that you are right. Maybe some GMs are still in denial. Just don´t see it.
I’m afraid that ours might be the dumbest ones in that regard.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 05-29-2021

(05-29-2021, 03:55 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I’m afraid that ours might be the dumbest ones in that regard.

Not sure if this is meant seriously or "tongue in cheek" but tbh, when Cuban bought the team about 50% of the front offices around the league were run very poorly, and these days it's really hard to find an idiot to fleece. I don't know if I'm ready to say the Mavs' front office is the dumbest, but then again, they did get us into this mess. It's not a crazy statement.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - burekemde - 05-29-2021

He is just not a fit for this team, in terms of mentality, chemistry, toughness. It's completely obvious, there has been an issue between him and other teammate/s earlier in season, and Rick. It was between the lines in all of the statements made by Rick, and also by KP. The matter has since then been "solved", but only temporary (IMO judging by his expression on and off the court). He will IMO get traded after this season, unless he starts to play well and we make a run.

He has many of the skills we need, and even the bbIQ. He is a better player than what he plays at this moment. He is however lacking some of the skills to be truly elite. He cant hold onto the ball and he cant bully defenders like you want for a big guy as that.

My problem with KP is not the skills. But the mental and physical part. He seems to have a weakness in both areas, and is not a fit for this team.

However, I dont think we should be too quick to count him out. Mental parts of the game can sometimes quickly be fixed. He did had more chemistry with the teams in stretches last season for instance. The physical part can less be fixed, but this is more a matter of how to use KP. In that sense this can also be fixed. Dont play him in high post, as he cant bully anyone back to the basket. He is not good at this. Use him inside in different ways. He is great making the dunk.

If Mavs make a serious run and he improves his game, many of the things can be fixed. If he does not improve on his attitute and commitment to this team, it is obvious he needs to be traded.

Bottom line is, he can and will play a lot better, if the chemistry and the way we use him improves. KP is in control of some of the mental part, but Mavs are in control of some of the part of how we use him.

The best part of KP is last season, how he defended that rim. It was awesome and that part is compeltely gone. That is way more important than his offensive contribution. At times with him and Maxi, going into their paint, you just didnt do that without getting blocked. All that rim protection is completely missing right now. That is mental part and about chemistry and effort. This is on KP IMO. On offense, its mainly more on our coaches, but to some degree also on KP.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 05-29-2021

It's funny.  I watched some footage of KP in New York when he was successful.  He's trying to do the same things...pick and pop, slip and pin, post up.   The only real difference, besides the success, is that the passes were quicker and it actually looked like people expected it to happen and everything was much smoother.

To me, most of the time, our guards seem surprised or are more like "not again" when he posts up a guard or pops.  Entry passes, comparing the two, now, are just way later, and not on rhythm.  It's amazing to see Brunson look at him when it's clear he has an open shot, as the alleged second best player on the team, with Luka off the floor, and take on two guys at the rim....it would piss me off if I was KP.

I'm fine with trading him....I want the Mavs to succeed, so whoever is on the team is fine with me, BUT I've never understood the griping and moaning over having to fit him into the offense.  Every big man that has ever existed, EVEN Dirk, has relied on the spacing and offensive system to get them the ball in the spots they want it, on time and in rhythm.  

If you compare it to football, a big man is more like a wide reciever....you can run decoy all day, but most team's find a scheme to get him open to that they can get the benefit of the player's ability.  But the offensive calls get them going.  Some WRs like quick slants, some like the bubble screen or other plays, but the good offensive coordinators know how to get their players going.

If you got Joel Embiid and just put him in the corner to shoot 3s...u wont get a s much put of him.

Personally, I'm kind of tired of everyone calling Carlisle a genius who is known for finding a way to get production out of any player, no matter how unskilled, then we blame KP because he doesnt get regular touches in spots on the floor that maximize who he is.  We've seen this before though.

I'm like this....if CRC isnt going to tweak the offensive scheme to get production out of KP, then trade him, and dont trade for players that don't fit CRC's system...no anger or malice, if it's a brain trust or Triangle of Trust, then dont waste time just getting talent that doesn't fit.

(05-29-2021, 04:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not sure if this is meant seriously or "tongue in cheek" but tbh, when Cuban bought the team about 50% of the front offices around the league were run very poorly, and these days it's really hard to find an idiot to fleece. I don't know if I'm ready to say the Mavs' front office is the dumbest, but then again, they did get us into this mess. It's not a crazy statement.
It was mostly meant to say “be prepared” for another year of KP here. In response to him talking about finding a FO to fleece with a KP trade. However, I’m not fully against your interpretation either.

Edit: “be prepared” because I’m not fully convinced our FO is as done with him as many here are, that’s kinda the “dumb” part.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-29-2021

The Wizards and GSW I believe are the only two teams so far to be rumored to have interest in KP. I suspect we will hear some more names after the season. It's also possible we hear some negative interest such as "Warriors are not interested in KP" or something along those lines.

With GSW the trade to me is Wiggins + Minney and I think that will be on the table. Mavs could probably get that deal or expand it to add teams. KP is still a great fit for the role he would have there.

For the Wiz Mavs would be basically taking back role players for KP + Washington's 15 pick. I don't think Wizards control their picks for a long time so you would only get that one pick but its a pretty good spot.

The package would be (I think) Bertans who would be useful as a shooter, Bryant who was having a really nice year but had a bad injury, Rui or Avdija who were both #9 picks that seem like useful rotation players on rookie contracts.

For the Wiz I think they would do that because they aren't giving up really any major asset to form their "big 3." 

Mavs would plug some holes with useful rotation players and also clear space in future years. Bertans shoots almost eight 3's a game at career 40% so I think he would definitely be good here. If Bryant doesn't come back well from his injury he is an expiring deal. Mavs would have #15 to draft another guy who hopefully would be a rotation player. The MLE would still be there to fill any remaining holes.

The rotation would be something like:

Luka/MLE (Dragic?)
THJ/Brunson
DFS/Avdija/Green
Maxi/Bertans
Bryant/Powell/WCS
+ #15

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Jason Terry - 05-29-2021

(05-29-2021, 06:02 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: The Wizards and GSW I believe are the only two teams so far to be rumored to have interest in KP. I suspect we will hear some more names after the season. It's also possible we hear some negative interest such as "Warriors are not interested in KP" or something along those lines.

With GSW the trade to me is Wiggins + Minney and I think that will be on the table. Mavs could probably get that deal or expand it to add teams. KP is still a great fit for the role he would have there.

For the Wiz Mavs would be basically taking back role players for KP + Washington's 15 pick. I don't think Wizards control their picks for a long time so you would only get that one pick but its a pretty good spot.

The package would be (I think) Bertans who would be useful as a shooter, Bryant who was having a really nice year but had a bad injury, Rui or Avdija who were both #9 picks that seem like useful rotation players on rookie contracts.

For the Wiz I think they would do that because they aren't giving up really any major asset to form their "big 3." 

Mavs would plug some holes with useful rotation players and also clear space in future years. Bertans shoots almost eight 3's a game at career 40% so I think he would definitely be good here. If Bryant doesn't come back well from his injury he is an expiring deal. Mavs would have #15 to draft another guy who hopefully would be a rotation player. The MLE would still be there to fill any remaining holes.

The rotation would be something like:

Luka/MLE (Dragic?)
THJ/Brunson
DFS/Avdija/Green
Maxi/Bertans
Bryant/Powell/WCS
+ #15
I think you’re on to something with that Wizards trade package. To me they are similar to GSW in that they desperately need to try to win now with the guys they have. Makes sense that those two teams would be teams who want KP even after he’s been exposed this year. Maybe this summer there will be more suitors? 

I don’t think we would take this package or the Wiggins + Minny either. In both cases i think those assets would end up on a 3rd team looking to trade someone to us. That’s where IND, TOR, CHA, CHI, SAC and any other teams that may be moving guys we like comes into play as a 3rd team

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Aussiebballer - 05-29-2021

I think half of KPs issues are on KP and half is on Carlisle.
KPs effort is very random but Carlisle has been terrible at getting KP involved in the offence.
If Carlisle can’t or won’t get KP better opportunities then they definitely need to trade him.
Kind is scared about what they can get back for him unless a lesser team thinks KP can be their 1a or 1b option.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dynamicalVoid - 05-29-2021

(05-29-2021, 08:45 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: I think half of KPs issues are on KP and half is on Carlisle.
KPs effort is very random but Carlisle has been terrible at getting KP involved in the offence.
If Carlisle can’t or won’t get KP better opportunities then they definitely need to trade him.
Kind is scared about what they can get back for him unless a lesser team thinks KP can be their 1a or 1b option.

Let me start by saying that Mavs gave KP the ball a lot during the reg season and also KP needs to show he can take advantage of his size...

But last night almost seemed like a slap in the face towards KP...

He doesnt get many touches or shots in first 3 quarters(people claiming Brunson looking him off even though he wide open - same thing was done during the reg season with Brunson and Luka not passing to him even though he was wide open)...then Mavs are down in a heated Playoff game and the start of the 4th quarter the Mavs start pushing the ball to KP.   Almost like they were saying we dont want to do this but lets prove to people you cant produce on offense inside the 3 line...so here are a few touches in a row if you think you can prove yourself.   

He didnt really do anything.

Ya that's nuts. I am not crazy about how the game was coached. Mavs could have had a 20 point lead at the end of the first quarter had they just let Luka play the whole quarter.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cjeter24 - 05-29-2021

(05-29-2021, 04:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not sure if this is meant seriously or "tongue in cheek" but tbh, when Cuban bought the team about 50% of the front offices around the league were run very poorly, and these days it's really hard to find an idiot to fleece. I don't know if I'm ready to say the Mavs' front office is the dumbest, but then again, they did get us into this mess. It's not a crazy statement.

I think people need to come off the ledge a bit based off his performance in the playoffs. He's been bad no doubt. But context matters. 

Is he the 2nd star we need? No. Is he now overpaid? Yes. Is he a bad player? Absolutely not. He's very good. And other than the ability to trade 1sts in future trades right now, the KP trade was still a very good trade. Two starting players for a few crappy 1sts? I'm all about that. 

Some more perspective. Only 20 players scored 20ppg, shot 47% and had an eFG of 54 and KP was one of them. The entire list is all stars except for KP, SGA and Wood. Now his defense has been absolutely awful at times and again in this series. But this was also a guy a year ago that was fantastic during the playoffs against the same team before getting hurt. On both ends of the court. I don't think KP is moving terrible (he was at the beginning of the year). I think he's just playing really bad. I don't think this is the entire rest of his career.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 05-29-2021

I mean KP is a max player. Max players need help sure, but he plays next to Luka Doncic. If he still can't succeed in that situation, if he can't motivate himself to play hard with a playoff series on the line, maybe that's on him.