MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - fifteenth - 05-22-2021

(05-22-2021, 11:49 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Well you call that unintentional. I call it intentional. Nobody is born with a bias to favour Lebron James over Raul Neto. Refs are drilled to favour stars and extend series. That is implied. They understand that stars are not supposed to foul out, so they get very creative, when assigning fouls for example.

I have no first hand knowledge of these things. But my opinion or belief is based on this: refs don't need to be coached by the league in order to favor stars. Showing favor towards the more accomplished,  talented and powerful is human nature.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 05-22-2021

(05-22-2021, 02:20 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I have no first hand knowledge of these things. But my opinion or belief is based on this: refs don't need to be coached by the league in order to favor stars. Showing favor towards the more accomplished,  talented and powerful is human nature.

The point of a referee or if you want a judge in another areas of life, is that they are supposed to be above such potential bias to make correct/fair decisions based on one set of rules and regulations. A judge isn´t supposed to make decisions based on how much money or fame a person has, but whether they are guilty or innocent. So if a person that cannot upload THE MAIN REQUIREMENT of their job, then they should be removed from those positions.

If they are not removed, then the NBA is clearly fine with their interpretation of the rules. Therefore any new referee will automatically assume that´s how he is supposed to apply the rules, if he wants to advance his career in the NBA.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 05-22-2021

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1396253653070082048

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 05-22-2021

Rick with the media savvy.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 05-22-2021

(05-22-2021, 07:02 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1396253653070082048
Rick and I are on the same page. Not that I’m happy with KP’s game 1 (O N E game) but he took the best defender on the court away from Luka and/or THJ.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 05-22-2021

(05-22-2021, 07:18 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Rick and I are on the same page. Not that I’m happy with KP’s game 1 (O N E game) but he took the best defender on the court away from Luka and/or THJ.

This...

The Clippers went all out to stop him on offense...others benefited big time...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 05-22-2021

He had a pretty good final 6-8 minutes, honestly. Not a great overall game, but he did some really nice things when they needed them most.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - fifteenth - 05-22-2021

I was pretty frustrated with KP, but his 4th quarter helped the team win

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 05-22-2021

(05-22-2021, 07:33 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I was pretty frustrated with KP, but his 4th quarter helped the team win

Yeah, that one (might have been an ATO) where he pinned the defender in the paint, forced a foul and made both free throws was one of the biggest moments of the game, imo.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 05-22-2021

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1396244395641475075

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Aussiebballer - 05-22-2021

The other reason the Clippers put Kawai on KP was to make the KP and Luka pick pointless as then Kawai would switch onto Luka.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-22-2021

(05-22-2021, 07:31 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He had a pretty good final 6-8 minutes, honestly. Not a great overall game, but he did some really nice things when they needed them most.

Ya I am glad he wasn't a zero. 4th quarter he helped beat the trap. It's hard to trap Luka when KP is out there. KP also is a clutch FT shooter which helps. Offensively he is frustrating but I am not that worried about it bc his offense comes and goes and he definitely helps the spacing.

The thing I can't get over is his defense and rebounding just isn't good enough. He needs to get better in a hurry. Defensively the Mavs look better to me when he's not out there. At any rate a win is great so hopefully he can figure some stuff out. Maybe a home crowd will give him some energy who knows.

(05-22-2021, 08:26 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: The other reason the Clippers put Kawai on KP was to make the KP and Luka pick pointless as then Kawai would switch onto Luka.

Yeah, that's a good call.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-25-2021

I rewatched the defensive possessions and saw that KP was doing more switches than I remember, primarily on Kawhi and PG which seemed to work out pretty good. He would switch temporarily until his teammate could recover and then he fell back to try to catch Zubac before he got open near the basket.

I am still disappointed by his lack of hustle attacking the glass but it didn't look as bad as I remembered in the first half. The second half is where I am concerned because the Clips sat Zubac and played a lot of small ball. This forces KP to be caught in no-mans land where he won't really go all the way to the perimeter to close on shooters, but also isn't close enough to the basket to contest anything. Its not really KP's fault in this instance but it basically puts him in a bad spot and makes it easier for the Clips to get to the basket.

On offense it makes the offensive glass much easier for the Mavs when the Clips go small. It also gives KP some mismatches but then we have seen the problem that our offense gets bogged down when we hunt for KP mismatches. He just isn't as good at exploiting them to say the least. If you had Dirk out there was a small on him he would just destroy the team until they had to adjust. Not necessarily true at all with KP.

All that to say if Zubac continues to play then I think its a decent to good matchup for KP on both ends. If Clips run small its going to put KP and the Mavs in a tough spot. We saw Rick sit KP some in the 4th when Mavs played the Nets that first time to deal with their small lineup.

I saw this article - https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/5/25/22451157/the-dallas-mavericks-must-play-the-clippers-centers-off-the-floor today but I must warn, be careful what you wish for. The Mavs might succeed in pushing the Clips small but then the Clippers can counter with a pretty effective small-ball lineup.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 05-25-2021

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1397358125758435328

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 05-25-2021

[Image: E2ROJfuUUAYgL4r?format=jpg&name=large]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - khaled1987 - 05-26-2021

(05-25-2021, 08:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1397358125758435328

He should thank Lebron,  NBA was in no position to suspend him after Lebron incident

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - JamesConway - 05-26-2021

I’m more in the keep him crowd bc of his obvious talent, but it gets tougher defending him. He was lucky he didn’t get suspended.

OTOH he showed  a good reaction on the floor. Great shooting and competed on defense. Multiple steals and blocks, contested better.  His impact on spacing is tremendously important. We’ve outscored the Clippers by 23 points over the first two games with him on the court. For all the slander he gets this is pretty significant. He makes Luka’s life easier by pulling Kawhi away. 

I was a big advocate of the trade and was feeling darn good about my take during the bubble last summer but if I had to put a number on it I’m probably down to only 60/40 in favor of keeping him. He has to earn some trust back Imo.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-26-2021

(05-26-2021, 04:11 AM)JamesConway Wrote: I’m more in the keep him crowd bc of his obvious talent, but it gets tougher defending him. He was lucky he didn’t get suspended.

OTOH he showed  a good reaction on the floor. Great shooting and competed on defense. Multiple steals and blocks, contested better.  His impact on spacing is tremendously important. We’ve outscored the Clippers by 23 points over the first two games with him on the court. For all the slander he gets this is pretty significant. He makes Luka’s life easier by pulling Kawhi away. 

I was a big advocate of the trade and was feeling darn good about my take during the bubble last summer but if I had to put a number on it I’m probably down to only 60/40 in favor of keeping him. He has to earn some trust back Imo.

I am still hoping they sell high on KP this summer. After a good playoff run his value will probably be at its peak. I don't think he and Luka like each other which is a major problem.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Scott41theMavs - 05-26-2021

(05-26-2021, 09:12 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I am still hoping they sell high on KP this summer. After a good playoff run his value will probably be at its peak. I don't think he and Luka like each other which is a major problem.

My concern is that he has to play far better than he has so far in the series to generate trade value.