MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-21-2021

I would even take Brogdon + Lamb if they gave a protected future first that could be useful. Pacers have all their first round picks and would be drafting in the lottery twice this draft. It's conceivable that with two lotto picks, one of them is a guard that replaces Brogdon.

For Mavs they could either hang onto Lamb or flip him for something else with the pick attached.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardsShowerVoice - 05-21-2021

Guess I never realized what an elite passing big man Mason Plumlee was.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-21-2021

(05-21-2021, 02:26 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Guess I never realized what an elite passing big man Mason Plumlee was.

As a starter in Portland he averaged more than three assists. Peaked at four. Now he is putting up similar numbers on a bad Pistons team. Easily one of the better passing bigs in the league. Problem is that he isn´t doing anything else on an elite level or even above average level.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Hypermav - 05-21-2021

We need some better pentagons.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dynamicalVoid - 05-21-2021

(05-21-2021, 04:44 PM)Hypermav Wrote: We need some better pentagons.

Nah...just run everything through Luka...we'll be good.  100% usage.

Moneyball the other positions

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Jason Terry - 05-21-2021

(05-21-2021, 01:54 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I reserve the right to change my mind based on how KP plays in the playoffs but pre-playoffs my favorite trade idea so far is:

- KP to GSW
- Wiggins, Minney to Indy
- Brogdon, Warren to Dallas

GSW gets KP who they want, Indy gets Wiggins to replace Warren and the Minney pick would be used to draft a new long-term PG and Mavs get 2nd playmaker plus shooter in Warren.

Mavs could retain THJ + shore up big rotation in free agency. Holmes would be the dream but I think you could do a committee approach and still be fine.

Option1: 

Luka/Brunson
Brog/THJ/Green
DFS/Warren
Powell/WCS
Holmes/Maxi

Option 2:

Luka/Brunson
Brog/THJ/Green
DFS/Warren
Powell/WCS
Maxi/[FA big]

Mavs would have lots of shooting and still have rim-rolling as well. Everything revolves around Luka altho Brog is a secondary guy to take some of the strain off of Luka.
I think this is close to what it will be. I would argue though that for the Pacers, if I’m them then the guys I’m building around are Brogdon and Sabonis. It just feels like they would rather trade Turner. Sabonis at the 5 and get some better players around that. Wiggins and Minny pick would help them. 

GS: KP

DAL: Turner and Warren

IND: Wiggins, Terry, MIN 1st, DAL 2nd

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-21-2021

I don't think Turner and Warren is a good enough return for KP. It depends on how the Mavs are feeling ab KP and what his market is. Turner and Warren at least are two good players that fit what the Mavs want to do, so there's that.

With no obvious holes I would try to operate over the cap and just beat teams with depth. We have killed J Rich all year but if you are over the cap then he is probably worth keeping on a deal that you can always move later. With MLE you can add another piece or two. I think McDermott will go for more than MLE but you could try to get someone of that quality. You can never have enough shooters.

Rotation would be:

Luka/Brunson
THJ/Rich/MLE guard or wing
DFS/Warren
Powell/WCS
Turner/Maxi

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 05-21-2021

(05-21-2021, 05:59 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: I think this is close to what it will be. I would argue though that for the Pacers, if I’m them then the guys I’m building around are Brogdon and Sabonis. It just feels like they would rather trade Turner. Sabonis at the 5 and get some better players around that. Wiggins and Minny pick would help them. 

GS: KP

DAL: Turner and Warren

IND: Wiggins, Terry, MIN 1st, DAL 2nd
Indy needs a complete tank and rebuild, Brogdon is too old for their timeline.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - khaled1987 - 05-22-2021

(05-21-2021, 08:32 PM)Branduil Wrote: Indy needs a complete tank and rebuild, Brogdon is too old for their timeline.

I doubt it, I think they will retool and change coach.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 05-22-2021

(05-22-2021, 02:28 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: I doubt it, I think they will retool and change coach.
They're not very smart if that's their plan. Their fundamental problem is that they have some good players, but no great ones, no superstars, and they have no way to change that because they're over the cap and no superstar wants to play for them.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 05-22-2021

(05-21-2021, 08:32 PM)Branduil Wrote: Indy needs a complete tank and rebuild, Brogdon is too old for their timeline.

Indy was destroyed by injuries this year. Turner and Brogdon were out for a significant time and Warren was essentially out for the year.

Plus their coach apparently was cancerous.

When healthy they have Brog/Lavert/Warren/Sabonis/Turner with a strong bench. That team is solid. No way they're blowing it up because of a lockout shortened year.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 05-22-2021

(05-22-2021, 05:28 AM)Branduil Wrote: They're not very smart if that's their plan. Their fundamental problem is that they have some good players, but no great ones, no superstars, and they have no way to change that because they're over the cap and no superstar wants to play for them.

Cracks me up, when people always give other (succesful) franchises the advice that it´s over, they need to rebuild and just give the Mavs their best players. Turner and Sabonis are 25. LeVert is 26. Warren is 27. Brogdon is 28. They are all on the same timeline. They won 39 games (adjusted for 82 games), while Warren missed 68 games, Turner missed 36 games, Levert/Oladipo missed 36 games, Lamb missed 36 games, Brogdon missed 16 games, Sabonis missed 10 games. You can argue they need to due to fit etc.

I wonder whether there is a Pacers fan out there saying: Kleber, THJ, DFS, Burke are so much older than Luka. Brunson plays the same position. Porzingis is injury-prone. Mavs just need to be real about it. Time to re-build around Luka.  Big Grin

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 05-22-2021

(05-22-2021, 06:14 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Cracks me up, when people always give other (succesful) franchises the advice that it´s over, they need to rebuild and just give the Mavs their best players. Turner and Sabonis are 25. LeVert is 26. Warren is 27. Brogdon is 28. They are all on the same timeline. They won 39 games (adjusted for 82 games), while Warren missed 68 games, Turner missed 36 games, Levert/Oladipo missed 36 games, Lamb missed 36 games, Brogdon missed 16 games, Sabonis missed 10 games. You can argue they need to due to fit etc.

I wonder whether there is a Pacers fan out there saying: Kleber, THJ, DFS, Burke are so much older than Luka. Brunson plays the same position. Porzingis is injury-prone. Mavs just need to be real about it. Time to re-build around Luka.  Big Grin
I mean if you think that Indy team has a prayer in hell of being a contender, versus the multiple teams ahead of them with at least one high-level superstar, you're welcome to bet on that.

Your own comparison shows the flaw in your argument: Indy doesn't have a Luka to build around.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - khaled1987 - 05-22-2021

(05-22-2021, 05:28 AM)Branduil Wrote: They're not very smart if that's their plan. Their fundamental problem is that they have some good players, but no great ones, no superstars, and they have no way to change that because they're over the cap and no superstar wants to play for them.

Here is the problem, NBA teams rarely think that way. 

It isn't a star or bust for them, because they know the chances to get such superstar is very slim to say at least, and by the time they get developed, they will want out. Never mind the injury chances.
Prime example for them is PG.  
If you look at each decade, half of the league rarely reach the true contender status anyway. 

The "we aren't good enough to contend, let's blow it up" isn't for every team, and it doesn't mean they aren't smart. 

Indiana won't blow it up before they get a new coach with this group

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 05-22-2021

(05-22-2021, 07:40 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:  
If you look at each decade, half of the league rarely reach the true contender status anyway. 

Exactly.

21 teams have won titles in NBA history. 10 of them were one time champions. One of them flat out doesn´t exist anymore.

Then you got teams, whose titles can be traced to won era/player like Chicago, New York, Miami, San Antonio, Houston.

The only teams that have build truly independent championship teams in NBA history are the Celtics, Lakers, Warriors, Pistons, 76ers.

The Nuggets and Grizzlies are two of the best run franchises in the NBA and have never even made the finals.

Even if the Pacers build top class teams, you really think the NBA would allow Sabonis, Brogdon and Levert to win an NBA title. The team that is buried on NBA TV every year. These refs know their jobs. It´s been drilled down through generations.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - fifteenth - 05-22-2021

I don't think the NBA is rigged. I think refs get influenced by stars, so there's on unintentional skew, but I don't buy the league conspiracy theory

(05-22-2021, 11:27 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't think the NBA is rigged. I think refs get influenced by stars, so there's on unintentional skew, but I don't buy the league conspiracy theory

Well you call that unintentional. I call it intentional. Nobody is born with a bias to favour Lebron James over Raul Neto. Refs are drilled to favour stars and extend series. That is implied. They understand that stars are not supposed to foul out, so they get very creative, when assigning fouls for example.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Jommybone - 05-22-2021

(05-22-2021, 11:27 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't think the NBA is rigged. I think refs get influenced by stars, so there's on unintentional skew, but I don't buy the league conspiracy theory

Straw man alert! Love me some 15th takes. But “rigged” isn’t really the accusation. “Handicapped” would be a more descriptive term. IMHO, people who deny that this kind of manipulation is rampant in the NBA either don’t know the game of basketball very well or haven’t watched very many games in which they don’t care who wins.

I’m guessing 15th is in the latter category, cause he sure seems to know his stuff. And I certainly get that my own bias can get in the way of my perception. But the manipulation just jumps off the screen in games where you can confidently call yourself unbiased. 

And don’t come back at me with that lame old bad-reffing-in-both-directions argument. Of course they manipulate it in both directions. The last 2 GSW games were classic efforts to help the underdog secure an early lead and then help the favorite mount a thrilling comeback. (My emotions feel soooooo manipulated.)

C’mon, man. Next you’ll be telling us UFOs are just weather balloons.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-22-2021

In that case the Mavs need some trainings sessions with Draymond. No one gets away with more. Be it a hard foul with contact to the face or screaming in the refs face. Not a flagrant. Not a T. A few seconds later he is joking with the refs.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-22-2021

(05-22-2021, 12:57 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Straw man alert! Love me some 15th takes. But “rigged” isn’t really the accusation. “Handicapped” would be a more descriptive term. 

Speaking of, LeBron doesn't have to quarantine despite breaking safety protocol bc evidently there is some wiggle room if the player is the face of the league and its the playoffs.