MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-19-2021

(05-19-2021, 04:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I would LOVE nothing more than to be DEAD wrong on KP and to see him suddenly sprout incredible pick and roll chemistry with Luka AND to get back to moving his feet on D with a purpose. 

Dozens and dozens of games tell me this will not happen, but if it does I will be elated!

Ya I mean we will just have to see. KP missed a lot of games recently so hopefully that means he's well rested. We will know that he and everyone else will be giving full effort.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 05-19-2021

(05-19-2021, 04:03 PM)Hogmelon Wrote: https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1395104167065268227

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1395085765839839234

It's actually refreshing to see KP in a playful mood publicly. 

I know Latvians aren't necessarily known for their happy go lucky personalities but I feel is more serious than most.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 05-19-2021

(05-19-2021, 06:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's actually refreshing to see KP in a playful mood publicly. 

I know Latvians aren't necessarily known for their happy go lucky personalities but I feel is more serious than most.

I can't remember exactly when or where but one of our great Euro posters went into depth on this subject...what I remember is it was normal for KP's fellow country/ethic folks to be like he is...that poster was not concerned about his personality or the way he answered questions or how he acted on court...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardsShowerVoice - 05-20-2021

~10+ minute long Porzingis interview on Ben and Skin.   He comes off as very affable here and positive about being in Dallas and the direction of the team, though it's clear he's not satifisied with just being Channing Frye (and I don't think the Mavs traded multiple first round picks and paid him max to just be Channing Frye)  

"(Since I came back) it feels like I'm in a good rhythm right now.  As a big man, I'm not going to have the ball in my hands all the time.   It takes a little bit of time, and I've kinda learned that these last few seasons.   I've had so many ups and downs.  I've just got to stay with the process.   Put in the work behind the scenes.  Then on the court, just play freely.   And then the rhythm will come.  It will find you." 

Getting comfortable playing the 4 with Powell at the 5:  "It's more about being involved in the offense.  I want to be involved.   I want to feel utilized.   Sometimes when I played the four it seemed like I was just there to space the floor.   Which I always do, but now I think we have found ways to utilize my skillset more.   I want to feel utilized and involved and try to do my best for the team.  I think that's the direction we're going in, and that's a good thing."

Skin says Porzingis most underrated skill is his court vision and passing ability and seeing the next play:  "Yeah, I think I agree with that.  I think the games the ball has gone through me a lot and I know the ball will come back to me, I want to make sure everyone touches it.  Because then everyone feels better on offense, and then everyone gives it  their all on defense and it's a chain reaction.  I think that's a thing we're focusing on this season, and we're learning and heading in that direction.  I do enjoy being a facilitator.  Also things like handoffs and blur screens.  I just like to be in the play to open things up for my teammates" 

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1248-the-ben-and-skin-show-57481902/episode/kristops-porzingis-82742767/?cmp=web_share&embed=true

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 10:12 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: ~10+ minute long Porzingis interview on Ben and Skin.

Skin says Porzingis most underrated skill is his court vision and passing ability and seeing the next play:  "Yeah, I think I agree with that.
Porzingis probably thought are they trying to f*ck with me?

That´s like telling Gobert that his most underrated skill is his pull-up three.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - JamesConway - 05-20-2021

Typical local media bullcrap. Skin and Harp also were hyping up DeAndre‘s passing when Carlisle force fed him for a while before the trade.

KP is a bad passer. He has improved in terms of assist to TO ratio but it’s far from a strength.

(05-19-2021, 04:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I would LOVE nothing more than to be DEAD wrong on KP and to see him suddenly sprout incredible pick and roll chemistry with Luka AND to get back to moving his feet on D with a purpose. 

Dozens and dozens of games tell me this will not happen, but if it does I will be elated!
I hope it’s all due to them protecting him by keeping him out of those plays for the most part of the regular season. I was advocating for that a year ago or so.

It’s a Good thing that we will find out quickly if it was actually by design or not. He doesn’t have to be elite but there’s a lot of room for improvement from the 50th percentile.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 12:06 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Porzingis probably thought are they trying to f*ck with me?

That´s like telling Gobert that his most underrated skill is his pull-up three.
When I’ve watched him put the ball on the ground I’ve seen some really good passes from him. His height (like Luka) is a strength in seeing the floor.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardsShowerVoice - 05-20-2021

When KP first came into the league, one of the things that stood out to me was what a natural passer he was for a big at that age.   Below is an example of just the kinds of passes he would make in a 2 game sample.    It's stagnated since coming to Dallas, and part of it is the vanilla stagant hero ball offense we've often utilized with young Luka.  I keep saying, Luka has unworldly vision pulls off some some mindblowing passes,  but I don't think that means it's easy to play with him right now.     #1 this year in time per possession.  Among the leaders is Average seconds per touch.  Among the leaders in average dribbles per touch.   I think LeBron is a legit basketball genius and probably the greatest point forward of all time,  but bigs like Kevin Love and Chris Bosch  had trouble adapting their games to his ball dominant style at the outset.    Luka is going to have develop his overall game over time to better utilize and get the most out of his teammates, just like all the greats have.    Luka is phenomenal, but he's not a finished product.  There is o reason to believe he's beyond the same maturation process that Michael Jordan needed early in his career.   Porzingis, Luka and Carlisle all need to do better to get this back on track and develop a more fluent and less predictable offense. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSf3SBb4KzU

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 05-20-2021

There are certain times I wished we had a downvote option... Big Grin

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - JamesConway - 05-20-2021

He’s not a good passer, I don’t know what to tell you guys. 

Career averages: 1.5 assists to 1.7 TOs while on 26+ % usage rate after all these years in the league.

He has improved to the point that he finally averages more assists than TOs since coming here but he’s still not even close to „good“ in that department.

He is huge, I fully agree that his dribble moves look cool when they work and I like to watch his youtube highlights  as much as anyone of you but he’s an easy target for good perimeter defenders when he floors it. 

Barnes in his time here was about as good a passer as he is.

Ugh, yeah ... Barnes was a forward.    

It's not unusual for a big to have more turnovers than assists.   Embiid currently averages more turnovers than assists in his career.   KAT's TO to Assist numbers are basically dead even for his career.  Unless you're Joker, you're rarely asked to facilitate the offense as a center to rack up big assist totals.   There's plenty of other valid stuff to be critical of KP about on the defensive side of the ball without have making up things to be a hater about.

(05-20-2021, 03:31 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Ugh, yeah ... Barnes was a forward.    

It's not unusual for a big to have more turnovers than assists.   Embiid currently averages more turnovers than assists in his career.   KAT's TO to Assist numbers are basically dead even for his career.  Unless you're Joker, you're rarely asked to facilitate the offense as a center to rack up big assist totals.   There's plenty of other valid stuff to be critical of KP about on the defensive side of the ball without have making up things to be a hater about.
Dirk, KG were good passers for bigs, Jokic is elite historically. KP isn’t „good“ at passing. That’s not hating, just the truth. You’re way off here.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 12:46 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: When KP first came into the league, one of the things that stood out to me was what a natural passer he was for a big at that age.   Below is an example of just the kinds of passes he would make in a 2 game sample.    It's stagnated since coming to Dallas, and part of it is the vanilla stagant hero ball offense we've often utilized with young Luka.  I keep saying, Luka has unworldly vision pulls off some some mindblowing passes,  but I don't think that means it's easy to play with him right now.     #1 this year in time per possession.  Among the leaders is Average seconds per touch.  Among the leaders in average dribbles per touch.   I think LeBron is a legit basketball genius and probably the greatest point forward of all time,  but bigs like Kevin Love and Chris Bosch  had trouble adapting their games to his ball dominant style at the outset.    Luka is going to have develop his overall game over time to better utilize and get the most out of his teammates, just like all the greats have.    Luka is phenomenal, but he's not a finished product.  There is o reason to believe he's beyond the same maturation process that Michael Jordan needed early in his career.   Porzingis, Luka and Carlisle all need to do better to get this back on track and develop a more fluent and less predictable offense. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSf3SBb4KzU

Mavs need to make more cuts. Right now everyone just stands in place. So a guy like KP isn't going to pass with no one cutting unless he gets a double and sometimes he passes, sometimes he gets in trouble. I do think he has potential to grow in that area.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 04:22 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Mavs need to make more cuts. Right now everyone just stands in place. So a guy like KP isn't going to pass with no one cutting unless he gets a double and sometimes he passes, sometimes he gets in trouble. I do think he has potential to grow in that area.

This. Right now KP looks completly lost when he is getting doubled. Most of the time he rushes the shot/pass. Not a suprise. A lot of great players really struggled in similar situations. Olajuwon, Malone, Dirk or recently Embiid. All started of as really bad passers and improved over their career. That´s the next step for him on offense. Learn how to take advantage of mismatches. Learn how to deal with double teams. That´s what Embiid did over the last two seasons. That´s what turned an all star caliber big into a legit top 3 MVP contender.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-20-2021

Ya KP and doubles is another reason to not have him operate on the block. Or if he does he needs to get better at it. KP is better when he is decisive. When he gets the ball at the 3 point line he can shoot or make one move. The issue is he dribbles into traffic a lot, altho sometimes I have seen him drive and kick effectively. 

I like when he goes to the 3 point line bc it gives him a simple pump fake option and also makes it easier for the ball handler to find him. He has the option to cut to the basket off-ball or get to the basket faster for rebounds and put backs. I really wish he would spend more time there.

In the mid-range he is also better if he gets the ball in space and can just shoot or make 1 quick move. This again prevents the scenario where he's standing there thinking about what he wants to do and allowing the defense to swarm him.

(05-20-2021, 04:44 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Ya KP and doubles is another reason to not have him operate on the block. Or if he does he needs to get better at it. KP is better when he is decisive. When he gets the ball at the 3 point line he can shoot or make one move. The issue is he dribbles into traffic a lot, altho sometimes I have seen him drive and kick effectively. 

I like when he goes to the 3 point line bc it gives him a simple pump fake option and also makes it easier for the ball handler to find him. He has the option to cut to the basket off-ball or get to the basket faster for rebounds and put backs. I really wish he would spend more time there.

In the mid-range he is also better if he gets the ball in space and can just shoot or make 1 quick move. This again prevents the scenario where he's standing there thinking about what he wants to do and allowing the defense to swarm him.
The assist to TO ratio going from negative to pretty consistently positive over his first two years here is a good sign of progress. 

It really all comes down to health for him. Getting an offseason to work on his craft would be crucial. I hope the wrist issue isn’t too bad.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardsShowerVoice - 05-21-2021

(05-20-2021, 03:45 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Dirk, KG were good passers for bigs, Jokic is elite historically. KP isn’t „good“ at passing. That’s not hating, just the truth. You’re way off here.

I mean, if you're not as good two First Ballot Hall of Famers/Top 30 All Time players (both career forwards) and the best passing big to possibly ever play the game, then I guess you must "suck" if that's the binary standard.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HAguiar95 - 05-21-2021

https://twitter.com/The_BBall_Index/status/1392245634221043714/photo/1

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-21-2021

I reserve the right to change my mind based on how KP plays in the playoffs but pre-playoffs my favorite trade idea so far is:

- KP to GSW
- Wiggins, Minney to Indy
- Brogdon, Warren to Dallas

GSW gets KP who they want, Indy gets Wiggins to replace Warren and the Minney pick would be used to draft a new long-term PG and Mavs get 2nd playmaker plus shooter in Warren.

Mavs could retain THJ + shore up big rotation in free agency. Holmes would be the dream but I think you could do a committee approach and still be fine.

Option1: 

Luka/Brunson
Brog/THJ/Green
DFS/Warren
Powell/WCS
Holmes/Maxi

Option 2:

Luka/Brunson
Brog/THJ/Green
DFS/Warren
Powell/WCS
Maxi/[FA big]

Mavs would have lots of shooting and still have rim-rolling as well. Everything revolves around Luka altho Brog is a secondary guy to take some of the strain off of Luka.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 05-21-2021

[Image: Playmaking-Grades.png]