MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-17-2021

Ya we will see. I know the Mavs all want redemption from last year. Maxi is a real X factor. Don't know if he will play and he shot terribly last year. J Rich may need to contribute in a major way.

At any rate we have been waitjg for aggressive KP to show up and I expect to see him play well on both ends. The other thing that helps KP is that the other defenders are trying a lot harder. When DFS just let's his guy blow by it doesn't put KP in a great spot. At any rate the season series was super intense and I expect it to be triple the intensity.

Like I said above all I want KP to stay healthy. If he gets injured we are in trouble. Even if it's a knee soreness thing or some kind of minor injury that takes him out.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-17-2021

Clearly one of the better matchups for KP. No dominant pick and roll playmaker. No great big. Zubac is strong and can push him around in the paint but if KP is somewhere close to his best he should be able to take advantage of the matchup on offense.
Only problem is the Clippers 3-point shooting. If they try to attack KP with 5-out spacing the Mavs are in trouble. Needs a really good defensive scheme to keep KP in the paint and take advantage of his help defense and rim protection. Mavs need him to shadow PG`s and Kawhi`s iso attempts and drives.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 05-17-2021

(05-17-2021, 08:28 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: he's a max player

This needs to be shouted from the roof tops. The Mavs have not gotten even close to their money's worth on him and that should be an undeniable fact at this point.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 05-17-2021

(05-17-2021, 08:42 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Clearly one of the better matchups for KP. No dominant pick and roll playmaker. No great big. Zubac is strong and can push him around in the paint but if KP is somewhere close to his best he should be able to take advantage of the matchup on offense.
Only problem is the Clippers 3-point shooting. If they try to attack KP with 5-out spacing the Mavs are in trouble. Needs a really good defensive scheme to keep KP in the paint and take advantage of his help defense and rim protection. Mavs need him to shadow PG`s and Kawhi`s iso attempts and drives.

If the Clippers guard KP with Zubac, that plays right into Carlisle's hands. If they put Morris on him, then whomever Zubac does guard (DFS?) needs to have a big series shooting the ball. 

Defensively, you're right about this being a decent opponent for KP, I think. Way less pick and roll than just about any other possible opponent. All he has to do is recover to the shooters fast enough to make some type of impact.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-17-2021

They will put Morris on Doncic, Zubac on KP I imagine. Mavs handled the Clips really well in their last meeting for what it's worth. I think KP trying hard can keep Zubac off the glass to an extent. Mavs matchups are better this year for the most-part I think. We won't have Seth Curry guarding Leonard at any point during this series so that's good.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Chicagojk - 05-17-2021

I have been in the pro- Keep KP crowd, but this year has been tough to see a long term future.  I think he is back next year, but I have trouble seeing him her 3 years from now.

One thing I want to see the Mavs/Luka do is when KP hits two shots in a row, the next possession should at least get a touch from KP.   For all of Luka's greatness, I think one area of growth is recognizing who has the hot hand, who needs an easy basket, etc.  Hopefully that comes in time.   I think too many times, KP doesn't get enough touches on offense.  Does that impact his defense?   Sometimes when you are not involved in the offense, it can impact defense.   I don't blame this all on the coaching staff and luka.   KP needs to be aggressive if he is not getting the ball.  Go get it.  Crash the boards, Cut hard to the rim, etc.

Luka is our superstar.  But I can understand some frustration when you think you are not involved in the offense and then see Luka do a lot of dribbling and take a step back three on a no pass possession.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 05-19-2021

https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/1394824941942497280

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 05-19-2021

(05-19-2021, 11:51 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/1394824941942497280

But they don't feature this....WHY?!?!?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 05-19-2021

(05-19-2021, 11:51 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/1394824941942497280

More context....

KP is 1.12 PPP as the roll man which ranks him as 50th percentile, dead center of the pack. He is 0.06 PPP better with Luka.

Jarrett Allen is 1.41 PPP.

Ayton is 1.39 PPP.

DP is 1.38 PPP.

Gobert is 1.34 PPP.

RH is 1.30 PPP.

Myles Turner is 1.28 PPP.

So wait, why are we praising this 1.18 PPP again???

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 05-19-2021

(05-19-2021, 11:56 AM)Kammrath Wrote: But they don't feature this....WHY?!?!?

Have absolutely no idea. It's actually the reason why I posted it here in the KP thread. 

Cubes confidently saying "Now they know what we know guys" meanwhile they barely run the play....????

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 05-19-2021

(05-19-2021, 12:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: More context....

KP is 1.12 PPP as the roll man which ranks him as 50th percentile, dead center of the pack. He is 0.06 PPP better with Luka.

Ayton is 1.39 PPP.

DP is 1.38 PPP.

Gobert is 1.34 PPP.

RH is 1.30 PPP.

This might be apples and oranges.  Those PPP numbers you posted are just one side of the equation...when the roll man gets credit for a possession.  Do you know the criteria for the third “P”?  or are those points per shot attempt?  I think the number Cuban is bragging about is any time a pick is set by KP for Luka.  It doesn’t matter who scores or how.  That’s my guess, but we need more data.

(05-19-2021, 12:35 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think the number Cuban is bragging about is any time a pick is set by KP for Luka.  It doesn’t matter who scores or how.  That’s my guess, but we need more data.

That makes more sense. I was trying to make heads and tails of the data. 

I would also like to put "sets a pick" for Luka in quotes in regard to KP..... "sets pick" is a loose translation what actually happens on the court.... Smile

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 05-19-2021

(05-19-2021, 12:38 PM)Kammrath Wrote: That makes more sense. I was trying to make heads and tails of the data. 

I would also like to put "sets a pick" for Luka in quotes in regard to KP..... "sets pick" is a loose translation what actually happens on the court.... Smile

Absolutely.  There should be a distance requirement for KP picks (like what is considered a "close" defender on a 3 point attempt).  Does it count if KP comes within one foot of the guy he's picking.  What about when he comes within three feet or six feet.

One of the reasons I appreciate Powell.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 05-19-2021

(05-19-2021, 12:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: More context....

Ayton is 1.39 PPP.

DP is 1.38 PPP.

Gobert is 1.34 PPP.

RH is 1.30 PPP.

You’re using single player stats while this is a 2 person stat. However, why is Luka/DP not higher than Luka/KP?

(05-19-2021, 12:48 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: why is Luka/DP not higher than Luka/KP?

Probably not 300 reps. That cut off probably skews the data.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Hogmelon - 05-19-2021

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1395104167065268227

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1395085765839839234

Quote:Happy Porzingis

[Image: giphy.gif]

I would LOVE nothing more than to be DEAD wrong on KP and to see him suddenly sprout incredible pick and roll chemistry with Luka AND to get back to moving his feet on D with a purpose. 

Dozens and dozens of games tell me this will not happen, but if it does I will be elated!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-19-2021

Maybe KP's happy bc he realizes it's fun going to the playoffs every year.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 05-19-2021

(05-19-2021, 11:56 AM)Kammrath Wrote: But they don't feature this....WHY?!?!?

Carlisle waiting on the Playoffs to torch teams with this elite play... Big Grin