MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-12-2021

Have we discussed this yet? https://nypost.com/2021/05/12/mark-cuban-throws-kristaps-porzingis-into-controversy-with-luka-doncic/

KP disputed Cuban's comments about "dust-ups" with Luka in a Spanish interview yesterday.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Hypermav - 05-12-2021

(05-12-2021, 04:17 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Have we discussed this yet? https://nypost.com/2021/05/12/mark-cuban-throws-kristaps-porzingis-into-controversy-with-luka-doncic/

KP disputed Cuban's comments about "dust-ups" with Luka in a Spanish interview yesterday.

Cuban would be stupid to disagree with KP now.  Actually Cuban was just dumb to go there in the first place, right or wrong.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - F Gump - 05-12-2021

Mavs world would be much better if Cuban learned to shut up. Unfortunately he's too in love with the sound of his own voice. So he'll keep shooting off his mouth and shooting himself in the foot, and Mavs fans will have to live with the fallout.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 05-12-2021

Just wanted to post some highlights. Its been a while since its been non-stop discussion the last 20 or so pages. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmT5lSB9yew&ab_channel=MavsFan

Some great highlights here. Made my morning tea taste better.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dynamicalVoid - 05-12-2021

(05-12-2021, 04:14 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Let me go big picture. I don´t think Knicks KP was as good as some people want to make us believe. He was way better on defense (legit top 5 rim protector) but his offense was mediocre. Solid volume, below average scoring efficiency and no playmaking for others. The entire hype was based on KPs potential. A unicorn with deep 3-point range that could play like a guard on offense and dominate the paint on defense. It never translated to team success for the Knicks but the potential was obvious. In stretches KP was putting up outstanding numbers (25/10, 2+ blks, great shooting percentages). Overall he only had one season with above average 3-point shooting. This is the first season of his career with above average TS. He also struggled with minor injuries and faded as the season progressed (anemia related).

Don´t think the Mavs made a mistake when they traded for him. It was a gamble and in hindsight they probably would be more hesitant but at the time it was the right move.
And this is where it gets more complicated. I already mentioned that the entire KP hype was more about his potential (not his on court production). That hasn´t changed. The entire "Unicorn" fantasy sounds great but in reality he has clear limitaitons and instead of being a nightmare matchup for the opponent RC has to figure out ways to hide him on defense.
We are getting flashes (bubble last season) but overall he isn´t living up to his contract. Things could obviously change. Maybe he just needs to stay healthy and will take the next step within the next two years but that´s a big "maybe".
If the Mavs want to keep KP they are gambling on two things. Him staying healthy. Him improving as a player. I would gamble on his health if he would have Durant/Embiid/Davis impact. I would gamble on his development if he could stay healthy. He misses out in both cases. Not quite good enough to accept the big risk. Not healthy enough to expect big improvements.

Good response.

Do you think his play in the Bubble was just a good stretch?  Do you think he would be a liability in a WCF or Championship?

Your comment about RC having to hide him on Defense.  How was he in the Bubble on defense?  I dont really remember talk about him being trash.  I assume that in the Bubble when there is more at stake is the best way to determine how good or bad he is on Defense.  I dont know the game well enough to know if he did poorly or not on defense....or...a better way to ask regardless on if he did the small things good or not....was he a liability in the Bubble on Defense?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 05-12-2021

(05-12-2021, 03:30 PM)F Gump Wrote: Too many here are advocating to "take whatever offer you get, and move on" based on the belief that KP has no NBA value, to the Mavs or anyone else, and they have to hope for a taker. In their mind, any return is a good deal.

That's just absurd.

If you decide you want to move him, you only get great value when you demand great value. And to some team, perhaps quite a few, a KP who might be ill-fitting in Dallas could be the piece they feel they have been waiting for. Tease, talk, dangle, bargain, let buyers figure out how much better KP will be on their team, let them compete to meet your price and more. The mindset should be to "negotiate for a good deal" and refuse to settle for less. Unicorns are expensive, EVERYONE knows that and starts with that mindset, and you're an idiot if you have a unicorn and only ask for scraps.

I'd equate it at the very least to the trades the Mavs made to move Antoine Walker and Antwan Jamison years ago. They were very talented players, who didn't fit. The Mavs looked for a return commensurate to how other teams valued those players, and they got it, rather than one based on the clunky fit in Dallas. They certainly didn't take "whatever they could get."

This rebuttal paints an extremely inaccurate picture of where I am with this. 

I am not suggesting they "take what they can get." I am suggesting that his worth is what it is. I hope it's close to what you believe it might be, and I absolutely agree that the team should try to get as much as possible in return, should they trade him. But, I won't be shocked he's not worth what you'd want. Either way, a bad investment is a bad investment. Surely, nobody here believes the Mavs have gotten their money's worth out of this KP thing, so far. 

I haven't completely made up my mind yet, but with each passing day I'm less and less convinced that Porzingis is even a good player, to be completely honest. The injuries, alone, are enough to make him far less valuable than some people insist, but it's more than that. I don't respect his game much - at least not what we've seen here in two years. Not enough defense to play center, not enough foot speed or coordination to play anywhere else. I LOVE the idea of pulling opposing bigs out of the paint, but he doesn't seem to have any kind of counter to punish teams for sticking forwards on him. People talk about how "mobile he is for a big man," but he's not even the most mobile 7-footer on the team, imo.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 05-12-2021

(05-12-2021, 04:14 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The entire "Unicorn" fantasy sounds great but in reality he has clear limitaitons and instead of being a nightmare matchup for the opponent RC has to figure out ways to hide him on defense.
We are getting flashes (bubble last season) but overall he isn´t living up to his contract. Things could obviously change. Maybe he just needs to stay healthy and will take the next step within the next two years but that´s a big "maybe".
If the Mavs want to keep KP they are gambling on two things. Him staying healthy. Him improving as a player. I would gamble on his health if he would have Durant/Embiid/Davis impact. I would gamble on his development if he could stay healthy. He misses out in both cases. Not quite good enough to accept the big risk. Not healthy enough to expect big improvements.

Bravo. I'm in lockstep with this.

(05-12-2021, 05:32 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Your comment about RC having to hide him on Defense.  How was he in the Bubble on defense?  I dont really remember talk about him being trash.  I assume that in the Bubble when there is more at stake is the best way to determine how good or bad he is on Defense.  I dont know the game well enough to know if he did poorly or not on defense....or...a better way to ask regardless on if he did the small things good or not....was he a liability in the Bubble on Defense?

Yes, he was absolutely a liability on defense in the bubble. The loss against Portland, in the bubble, was a turning point for my opinion of his play. Very eye opening.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-12-2021

(05-12-2021, 05:32 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Good response.

Do you think his play in the Bubble was just a good stretch?  Do you think he would be a liability in a WCF or Championship?

Your comment about RC having to hide him on Defense.  How was he in the Bubble on defense?  I dont really remember talk about him being trash.  I assume that in the Bubble when there is more at stake is the best way to determine how good or bad he is on Defense.  I dont know the game well enough to know if he did poorly or not on defense....or...a better way to ask regardless on if he did the small things good or not....was he a liability in the Bubble on Defense?

1)I think the bubble version is really similar to early 2017/18 KP.  He started the season on a hot streak but even prior to his injury scoring volume and efficiency declined. In the past anemia was mentioned as the reason not sure about the current situation. That´s the the best version of KP we have seen so far. Even without injuries he has never been able to do it for an entire season. 
The bubble was basically the best case scenario for him. Time to get in shape and get back into rhythm. Long break and time to rest. Bubble started. If I could get an guarantee that this version of KP is available for the playoffs every single year I could probably live with a mediocre regular season. But even the best version of KP has some limitations. Especially on defense.

2) I have no idea in what kind of shape KP will show up today. If he moves like his january self the Mavs are in trouble and he probably shouldn´t play at all. If he is closer to the best version of himself he can help the team.
Him being a liability really depends on the matchup. A good pick and roll offense can easily expose him. Especially guards like CP3, Lillard or Curry. That´s what we saw earlier in the season. In the playoffs matchups are even more important and a smart team would try to force him into the pick and roll on every single possession.
Teams with five out spacing are a problem as well and he would probably lose the individual matchup against elite bigs (Davis, Jokic, Embiid) but those are issues that can be solved with good schemes. Also should at least mention that he can do some damage on offense as well.
If we are talking about this years playoffs I think healthy KP could be huge in a first round series against the Nuggets (no Murray/no pick and roll threat) and Clippers (iso heavy offense).

3) Looking at his entire career KP has been a clear positive on defense. In his best seasons he ranked among the best rim protectors in the league (top 3 in DFG% in the paint and blocks). Prior to his injury he also had above average lateral quickness for a big. That´s not the case anymore.
The bubble already show cased his weak pick and roll defense but his rim protection made a big impact in the series against the Clippers. Difference is that this season teams started to target his weakness. Or maybe it is just easier to recognize the problem because the switch heavy defense without KP is looking really good.
In a way KP is the anti unicorn on defense. Unique but not in a good way. Not quick enough to defend the perimeter. Forcing him to play center. Not strong enough to bang with guys like Embiid, Valanciunas or Adams. Leading to matchup problems in the paint.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - fifteenth - 05-12-2021

(05-12-2021, 04:29 PM)F Gump Wrote: Mavs world would be much better if Cuban learned to shut up. Unfortunately he's too in love with the sound of his own voice. So he'll keep shooting off his mouth and shooting himself in the foot, and Mavs fans will have to live with the fallout.

We Ain't Done Yet

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - F Gump - 05-12-2021

(05-12-2021, 06:04 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This rebuttal paints an extremely inaccurate picture of where I am with this. 

I am not suggesting they "take what they can get." I am suggesting that his worth is what it is.

And I am saying that's a fail.

The reality is, there is no "what it is" as to his value. That's what you're not seeing.

Market or trade value is all perception, and negotiation, and tease, and salesmanship. Market value is what you make it, to a significant degree. You have to define the market value by your expectations - and then work to get even more.

Those who want to just take "whatever is being offered" don't get that. And maybe the Mavs don't either, as their negotiating results have always felt weak compared to other teams. But if there's a unicorn on the market, you need to let teams know you want unicorn values in return. Some will walk because they are hoping you're in "take any offer we can get mode", but others will figure out how they can meet that cost - and those are your buyers.

(05-12-2021, 07:03 PM)F Gump Wrote: Market or trade value is all perception, and negotiation, and tease, and salesmanship. Market value is what you make it, to a significant degree. You have to define the market value by your expectations - and then work to get even more.

Ok, sure. 

But in this case, we're talking about a guy who misses a lot of games and often plays badly when healthy. I'm not arguing the thought that they should wring every ounce of value possible out of the situation. That's universally true of every situation, and I agree with your often stated opinion that the Mavs have been guilty of underachieving at the negotiating table. But, if the idea is to accept the reality that the team is stuck with a guaranteed rookie max extension attached to a guy who literally makes the basketball team worse simply because they don't like the offers they're getting...man, I think that's cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

You can disagree with the idea that he makes the team worse, and who knows - next year he might come back and make this entire conversation silly. But, IF he REALLY is as bad as he has looked this year (and OMG has he looked bad this year) then I'm honestly unsure what we're arguing about.

(05-12-2021, 07:03 PM)F Gump Wrote: Some will walk because they are hoping you're in "take any offer we can get mode", but others will figure out how they can meet that cost - and those are your buyers.

To be even more clear, I DO NOT DISAGREE with the above.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 05-12-2021

(05-12-2021, 07:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You can disagree with the idea that he makes the team worse, and who knows - next year he might come back and make this entire conversation silly. But, IF he REALLY is as bad as he has looked this year (and OMG has he looked bad this year) then I'm honestly unsure what we're arguing about.
This is what I believe, sans a trade demand, the FO sees is happening with him. How many instances of down years have we seen with players to see them come back the next year and look like themselves? Of course there are also instances of players continuing to not play well too. My belief is that the FO sees the former in him (again, as long as there is no demand in place), or at the very least will never come close to divulging the latter until he’s gone.

All the flaws you have been pointing out can be worked on and he can get better at. He still has youth on his side. He just hasn’t been healthy long enough to do so.

I’ve always stayed in the corner of trading him this offseason because of the constant fear of losing him to injury. You’re right that sooner or later those injuries will accumulate and slow him down eventually. That time is not now, I don’t think. He hasn’t had enough accumulation to be deemed incapable of getting better like I believe I’ve seen you say (maybe it was someone else). In other words, I don’t believe this year is the year to say “he is what he is”. We may look back and that might be true, but there just isn’t enough, to me, to say it right now.

(05-12-2021, 08:44 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: All the flaws you have been pointing out can be worked on and he can get better at. He still has youth on his side. He just hasn’t been healthy long enough to do so.

True. 

He has looked pretty good tonight, and if he accepts this decision by Carlisle to go back to playing him as a spacer while Luka runs the main action with other people, like Powell, that is going to go a long way towards smoothing out at least one end of the floor, imho. 

Like I said, my mind is still open. But, he NEEDS to do something this post season.

(05-12-2021, 07:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Ok, sure. 

But in this case, we're talking about a guy who misses a lot of games and often plays badly when healthy.etc etc etc

Yes that's what the buyer says, trying to get him at half price.

Even if KP has a flaw here or there, I promise EVERY asset being offered in return will have its own flaws too! Those buyers will come to you, hoping to get your guy for players they aren't really satisfied with. They WANT what you have. And they think the flaws can be minimized or erased if they have that player. But before buying, those flaws are all they want the conversation to focus on, not the treasure or great and rare value you have in your hands.

Gotta think like a seller here.

The Mavs have The Unicorn. The Unicorn. Anyone buying is expecting they can find a way to lessen or erase the flaws, but they will shine a spotlight on the flaws. But the smart seller remembers "If you want a unicorn, you pay a unicorn price." Come hard after him, or don't bother at all, would be my attitude.

(05-12-2021, 09:45 PM)F Gump Wrote: The Mavs have The Unicorn. The Unicorn. Anyone buying is expecting they can find a way to lessen or erase the flaws, but they will shine a spotlight on the flaws. But the smart seller remembers "If you want a unicorn, you pay a unicorn price." Come hard after him, or don't bother at all, would be my attitude.

Love it. Right there with you.

...as long as the approach doesn't result in the team carrying a bad player who makes a lot of money and isn't often available for another season. 

If they get something good in return, or if they turn down what you'd consider bad offers and the dude actually contributes next season, GREAT!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dynamicalVoid - 05-13-2021

(05-12-2021, 09:45 PM)F Gump Wrote: Yes that's what the buyer says, trying to get him at half price.

Even if KP has a flaw here or there, I promise EVERY asset being offered in return will have its own flaws too! Those buyers will come to you, hoping to get your guy for players they aren't really satisfied with. They WANT what you have. And they think the flaws can be minimized or erased if they have that player. But before buying, those flaws are all they want the conversation to focus on, not the treasure or great and rare value you have in your hands.

Gotta think like a seller here.

The Mavs have The Unicorn. The Unicorn. Anyone buying is expecting they can find a way to lessen or erase the flaws, but they will shine a spotlight on the flaws. But the smart seller remembers "If you want a unicorn, you pay a unicorn price." Come hard after him, or don't bother at all, would be my attitude.

This is my stance on KP.

He is pretty much one of a kind and you arent getting a similar player back, imo.

There are major risks involved with KP at 30M+(Klay Thompson)...and at 30M you may want a drama free, low injury risk, unquestionably dominant player...and KP might not check any of those boxes.  

A lot of talk about fit issues, defense, injury risks, contract size, behind the scenes issues....BUT what I want to see is if he can duplicate his Bubble performance this post-season.  If he looks to be able to produce in Playoff atmosphere....mainly the ability to get off clean shots over defenders and display respectable defense...are we thinking that we will get an equal player back via trade(if KP isnt the one requesting)?

I get all the negatives attached to KP...but DOES HIS SIZE give him an advantage when the competition stiffens up?  I dont care about reg season stats...WHEN HEALTHY...IS HE ABLE TO OR DOES HIS SIZE(is he hitting shots because he is taking advantage or able to take advantage of a height difference) provide an edge during elevated competition?

If his size is an advantage during stiffened competition...I think I will take a Danny Ainge approach on KP..."You have to have multiple Stars to win in this League".   I have only heard others claim that Ainge has that opinion...havent heard him say it myself.   And...in this case a Unicorn.

I am not saying there are not major risks with KP...unloading him and not having to worry so much about a Klay issue is understandable.   But...IF there is any evidence after this post-season that KP is able to use his size to his advantage against stiff Playoff defenses and play decent defense himself...he might be a true Unicorn and maybe worth keeping.  At least until a fair/good fit trade comes along.   Unless you think chemistry/fit is more important than weapons to win it all.

Is he a weapon when it matters?  Or too much risk regardless?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 05-13-2021

I agree with the fundamental idea that we need to see the benefits of KP being 7'2" in this postseason. We've all seen the flaws, certainly, in terms of health and perimeter defense, so I think we definitely need to see him use his size to our advantage on both sides of the ball. He needs to be a stalwart rim protector while dragging the other team's rim protectors out of the paint.

Otherwise, I'll reiterate what I said in the other thread: if we're going to play KP as a stretch-4, could we not be better off with a shorter, cheaper, healthier stretch-4? I need to see that his UNICORN height is actually a benefit and not an unfixable flaw.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - michaeltex - 05-13-2021

To me, a 7-game playoff series is a whole different animal than most regular season games. The teams get to know one another and establish what does and doesn't work. I think this lets KP get into a comfort zone and better understand what he needs to do to help win.

LACs figured out they could get away with Morris bullying Luka, but they really didn't have a answer for KP. Harris didn't seem to be very effective. LAC best defense was KP hurting his knee.

The book now seems to be to double Luka hard. That leaves the rest playing 4v3, so there should be exploits there. If the opposition gets burned enough, they will play more straight up get Luka'd™. I think KP will have everyone talking, in a good way.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-13-2021

@"KillerLeft" I am not against the idea of KP being traded but saying he's been really bad this year is overstating the case against KP, to say the least. I don't care for his fit which we have discussed ad nauseam but he has still been productive, despite shortcomings on defense in particular. All that to say Mavs are not in some kind of dump situation with KP which some on the board might be inclined to believe.