MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 05-11-2021

KP for Turner and Lamb.
And the Mavs wouldn't have to go after Holmes.
Replaces JR and/or THJ with Lamb.

And have all the money to offer Collins and a playmaker.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 05-11-2021

(05-11-2021, 01:05 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: He was basically fine until he said "it is what it is", then he rambled off a bit of possible telling information. Not conclusive at all, but is fuel to any fire people want to use it as such and nothing to those that aren't looking for something.

Exactly. All he should've said is "I'm ready to do whatever to help the team win and looking forward to the playoffs" 

Of course he could have meant that in a roundabout way with his answer, which is why I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, but like you said his reply can be used as fuel to any fire. 

(05-11-2021, 12:58 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: But yeah, I can see where you're coming from with the above. He didn't really seem interested in communicating a "hey, it's great that Dwight is playing so well, and I'm excited to fit in and add to what's working" vibe when posed with that question.

That's all he had to say. But of course KP doesn't just give a simple canned reply when speaking to the media. I think he enjoys answering questions. Which isn't inherently bad. In fact I do enjoy his thoughtful replies, though answers like these are a byproduct of that ability.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 05-11-2021

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1391846711002288135

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-11-2021

(05-11-2021, 11:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1391846711002288135

Ya that's pretty interesting. The thing with KP is he doesn't want to do "center" things on offense like setting screens. He generally sets 1-2 "half" screens before he goes to wherever he wants/needs to go on offense. KP wants to have plays run for him and/or do iso/post-ups for his offense. Right now he does a little bit of that but also acts as a spacer on offense. It feels like an awkward fit. KP is talented enough that he still has pretty good numbers but it doesn't feel like an RC offense.

With Powell in the mix I feel like KP actually looks fine. With DP setting screens and introducing more movement it feels like everything gets "loosened" up for the other guys, including KP. I know KP likes to complain but if he is getting his numbers and Mavs are winning games I think he will be happy "enough." In the playoffs he should be more heavily involved with PnR action at a minimum.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 05-11-2021

It really does feel like we are heading to a divorce.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-11-2021

(05-11-2021, 04:19 PM)cow Wrote: It really does feel like we are heading to a divorce.

It's really hard to tell. I go back and forth.

I did some win counting without KP and Mavs are 16-8 without KP (but with Luka). Mavs of course have a terrible record without Luka and KP, I think they lost all 4ish of their games without both.

KP did help the Mavs win a couple games where Luka was out. All that to say it seems like the Mavs are almost better without KP, as talented as he is, at least in his current form and role on the team.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - F Gump - 05-11-2021

(05-11-2021, 11:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1391846711002288135

The way Townsend reported that, noting the pauses, makes it seem like there's something noteworthy or evasive in the hesitation.

But when you watch the video, and observe the body language and expressions, it seems apparent to me that it's closer to the opposite, and appears to be a case of a non-native speaker trying to find the right words in English rather than hiding some secret agenda.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 05-11-2021

(05-11-2021, 05:03 PM)F Gump Wrote: The way Townsend reported that, noting the pauses, makes it seem like there's something noteworthy or evasive in the hesitation.

But when you watch the video, and observe the body language and expressions, it seems apparent to me that it's closer to the opposite, and appears to be a case of a non-native speaker trying to find the right words in English rather than hiding some secret agenda.

+41 +77

(05-11-2021, 05:03 PM)F Gump Wrote: The way Townsend reported that, noting the pauses, makes it seem like there's something noteworthy or evasive in the hesitation.

Fake news

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Omega_Supreme - 05-11-2021

I think its safe to say that the Knicks won the KP trade, their roster is put together beautifully. A combination of young talent and vets and all players have a defensive mentality with no weak links. They finally have a culture and I am very envious. 

The scary part is that the Knicks have Cap room and are missing their best big. 
They are going to be scary good for a long time in the East. 

Donnie fucked up not going after Julius Randle

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SwisherPrice - 05-12-2021

Gimme Kemba Walker for KP straight up. Celtics will be desperate to shake things up after underachieving this season. KP can go back to the East and be a king with the east coast market like when he was in NY. Both sides win

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 05-12-2021

(05-11-2021, 11:19 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: Donnie fucked up not going after Julius Randle

I don't know how anyone can say this with a serious face. 

The Julius Randle today wasn't anything like the Julius Randle 2 years ago. Dude his hitting career highs everywhere on top of radically transforming his game.

If Randle was a 41% 3pt shooter 2 years ago you seriously don't think the Mavs wouldn't have gone after him?

HECK the entire league didn't give 2 craps about Randle. He had to settle going to a tanking Knicks team that gave him a 3 year contract with team options and non-guarantees.

Revisionist history up the wazoo.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 05-12-2021

(05-12-2021, 12:37 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't know how anyone can say this with a serious face. 

The Julius Randle today wasn't anything like the Julius Randle 2 years ago. Dude his hitting career highs everywhere on top of radically transforming his game.

If Randle was a 41% 3pt shooter 2 years ago you seriously don't think the Mavs wouldn't have gone after him?

HECK the entire league didn't give 2 craps about Randle. He had to settle going to a tanking Knicks team that gave him a 3 year contract with team options and non-guarantees.

Revisionist history up the wazoo.
No it shows you put zero effort into your rant.

When Randle signed with the Knicks he posted the following numbers over 81 games.

21.4 PPG
8.7 RPG
3.1 APG
0.7 SPG
0.6 BPG

Shooting 52/34/73.

That is just as good as the Porzingis season before the Mavs acquired him.

He was 24 years old on an upward trajectory and begging the Mavs to sign him two years in a row.

So outside of the big 3pt shooting leap, Randle has improved by 2.6 PPG, 1.6 RPG and 2.8 APG in two years, while being made the #1 option on a team.

That´s probably close to the maximum improvement you could anticipate from a younger player, but to act like this is some miracle is just a result of the false perceptions people held about Julius Randle the player and the person.

It´s mostly perceptions that change with winning and losing. Just look at Westbrook this season. 

The Mavs opted to waste their rebuilding years on washed-up old money-grabbers like DeAndre Jordan instead of taking free swings on young UFA willing to come to the Dallas. They goofed on Randle and Lavine big time.

Also if Donnie´s job requirement as GM is to know that we should sign Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis or Giannis, then you can give the job to a well trained Labrador.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 05-12-2021

(05-12-2021, 05:19 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: No it shows you put zero effort into your rant.

When Randle signed with the Knicks he posted the following numbers over 81 games.

Shooting 52/34/73.

That is just as good as the Porzingis season before the Mavs acquired him.

He was 24 years old on an upward trajectory and begging the Mavs to sign him two years in a row.

This is how I can tell you love boxscore numbers. I'm sure you were a big fan of Stephon Marbury and Latrell Sprewell back in the day too.

Please elucidate to me, if Randle was having such an amazing career before signing with the Knicks, why did no one else in the league have interest? He signed in 2019. A year where the majority of the league had cap space. 29 other teams passed up on him. Even the Pelicans who had him on a cheap contract said "No thank you. Have a good career". He averaged 21 points for them too, by the way. 

Again, Randle signed a team friendly contract out of necessity. The Knicks threw money at him to reach the salary floor after striking out on all the big name free agents. If Randle was this amazing player why in the world were the Knicks SO bad last year with him as the main star? Why did no other team bother to even make a contract offer to Randle?

Randle has always been a terrible defender, turnover prone player that couldn't shoot outside of 10 feet. He had 1 go-to move that earned him the nickname beyblade. Heck, after his rookie contract ended and he averaged 16/8, where the only team that wanted him was NOP. They gave him a 2 year deal with a player option worth 17 mil total. Think about that. A young 23 year old forward that averaged 16/8, shot 56% from the field and played in all 82 games only got a 2 year contract worth about 8 mil a year.

R E V I S O N I S T history. 

(05-12-2021, 05:19 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: They goofed on Randle and Lavine big time.

Also what...? How were the Mavs magically supposed to get Lavine? Force Chicago to trade him? Go after him when he had RFA in 2018? Ridiculous.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 05-12-2021

(05-12-2021, 09:22 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: This is how I can tell you love boxscore numbers. I'm sure you were a big fan of Stephon Marbury and Latrell Sprewell back in the day too.

Please elucidate to me, if Randle was having such an amazing career before signing with the Knicks, why did no one else in the league have interest? He signed in 2019. A year where the majority of the league had cap space. 29 other teams passed up on him. Even the Pelicans who had him on a cheap contract said "No thank you. Have a good career". He averaged 21 points for them too, by the way. 

Again, Randle signed a team friendly contract out of necessity. The Knicks threw money at him to reach the salary floor after striking out on all the big name free agents. If Randle was this amazing player why in the world were the Knicks SO bad last year with him as the main star? Why did no other team bother to even make a contract offer to Randle?

Randle has always been a terrible defender, turnover prone player that couldn't shoot outside of 10 feet. He had 1 go-to move that earned him the nickname beyblade. Heck, after his rookie contract ended and he averaged 16/8, where the only team that wanted him was NOP. They gave him a 2 year deal with a player option worth 17 mil total. Think about that. A young 23 year old forward that averaged 16/8, shot 56% from the field and played in all 82 games only got a 2 year contract worth about 8 mil a year.

R E V I S O N I S T history. 

Also what...? How were the Mavs magically supposed to get Lavine? Force Chicago to trade him? Go after him when he had RFA in 2018? Ridiculous.
Lavine signed a $78M RFA contract with the Kings that the Bulls matched. Mavs could easily have build an offer and look whether cheap Reinsdorf would have matched it.

What qualifies Kristaps Porzingis as more of a winning player or having more upside than Randle at the time?
Oh that he has a better PR agent, who branded him as a Unicorn, while his team was still losing over 50 games every season.

Porzingis has horrible peripheral court-vision, slow reaction times and therefore awful assist numbers, but Randle with an career-average of over 3.0 APG was the tunnel-vision one-trick bully pony. How did he get those three assists every game? Probably from all the potential turnovers, that his teammates gobbled up and converted into points swiftly. Meanwhile poor Unicorn suffers from his teammates shooting 12% off his passes otherwise he´s be above his 1.2 APG?

Tell me am I doing your advanced analytics right.

I bet you are one of those people that believe Russell Westbrook is a losing player. Shy

(05-12-2021, 10:00 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: What qualifies Kristaps Porzingis as more of a winning player or having more upside than Randle at the time?

Huh...? 

You're not answering my question. Tell me why no one else was interested in Randle 2 years ago if he was this amazing all-star that was waiting to be signed?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Chicagojk - 05-12-2021

Availability is a skill.    I have always been in the camp that this team's easiest path to a championship is with KP.   I still believe that, but this year has raised a lot of doubts over missed games and lackluster play from him.    I too always expect the worst when he jumps near the rim with others around him.   That is not a good sign.  

I expect he is with the team next year.   It would be great to see him with a good 2-3 month play with unicorn results.  That may improve our options not only on the court but if they decided to move him.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dynamicalVoid - 05-12-2021

(05-12-2021, 10:15 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Availability is a skill.    I have always been in the camp that this team's easiest path to a championship is with KP.   I still believe that, but this year has raised a lot of doubts over missed games and lackluster play from him.    I too always expect the worst when he jumps near the rim with others around him.   That is not a good sign.  

I expect he is with the team next year.   It would be great to see him with a good 2-3 month play with unicorn results.  That may improve our options not only on the court but if they decided to move him.

Genuine question...

If KP balls out like in the Bubble...he shows signs that the Mavs have coached him up in certain areas...hes more aggressive on boards, sets better pix, plays solid defense....

If he looks like a bona-fide Max player...one that can produce in a Playoff atmosphere...

Do we move this guy?

I dont know about drama behind the scenes if there is any...I dont know about all the talk about fit issues.   But...if the guy proves he can produce in Playoffs...is missing reg season games that big of a deal?  I am not saying let the expensive Max guy be lazy...but if you can win with this guy if he is healthy...wouldnt you load manage him?   Or do we owe it to fans to have someone on the court?  Would teammates get frustrated with him?

Also...if he looks really good...dont you kind of tailor the scheme to include him as opposed to just moving him?

My angle is on this post is...I dont care about reg season so much as I do Playoff production.   I get that it might be KP is a good player but has a laundry list of negatives attached to him and it would just be easier to move on from said good player even at a return loss.   If winning is such a big deal...it seems like Playoff production is what matters.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 05-12-2021

(05-12-2021, 11:35 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Genuine question...

If KP balls out like in the Bubble...he shows signs that the Mavs have coached him up in certain areas...hes more aggressive on boards, sets better pix, plays solid defense....

If he looks like a bona-fide Max player...one that can produce in a Playoff atmosphere...

Do we move this guy?

I dont know about drama behind the scenes if there is any...I dont know about all the talk about fit issues.   But...if the guy proves he can produce in Playoffs...is missing reg season games that big of a deal?  I am not saying let the expensive Max guy be lazy...but if you can win with this guy if he is healthy...wouldnt you load manage him?   Or do we owe it to fans to have someone on the court?  Would teammates get frustrated with him?

Also...if he looks really good...dont you kind of tailor the scheme to include him as opposed to just moving him?

My angle is on this post is...I dont care about reg season so much as I do Playoff production.   I get that it might be KP is a good player but has a laundry list of negatives attached to him and it would just be easier to move on from said good player even at a return loss.   If winning is such a big deal...it seems like Playoff production is what matters.
For sure playoffs are the be all end all of discussion, however, the player has to be uninjured for all of the playoffs. Klay isn’t doing anything for the Warriors and hasn’t for 2 years. I’d rather not take the chance that KP gets to that point. I do believe healthy KP is most of what this team needs, just don’t like worrying when the next injury is gonna happen. This is why I trade him as soon as we get a deal that is at or above the value we sent out to get him.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-12-2021

(05-12-2021, 11:43 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This is why I trade him as soon as we get a deal that is at or above the value we sent out to get him.

This is something I really don´t get. The Knicks trade is done. Sunk costs no matter what. Yes it would be nice to get some value in return for KP but if he isn´t the right player for the Mavs I wouldn´t wait for a big offer that might never come. Take the L and move on.
Even a pure salary dump (hard to do with limited capspace around the league) wouldn´t be the end of the world. Trade KP (try to attach Burke). Renounce all capholds and decline all options. Go to work with 67.5m in capspace.