MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - IamDougieFresh - 05-10-2021

For me, KP either plays every playoff game this year and plays well or I'm out.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - embellisher - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 02:35 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: For me, KP either plays every playoff game this year and plays well or I'm out.

I'm sure that's the plan, barring a season ending injury.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dynamicalVoid - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 11:46 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: We have seen KP roll hard in some big games. I honestly think we need to reserve judgment for the playoffs.

2 things I think we should see unveiled in the playoffs:

1. More aggressive KP, especially in high screen PnR with hard rolls to the basket. We have seen it before.
2. Lots of Luka on the block, especially in the 4th quarter with KP flanked out to the perimeter. The defender in the middle is stuck btwn two bad options and Luka will either get a good shot or get KP an open shot. 

Just knowing Rick I think he saves some stuff for the playoffs, for better or worse.

I fully understand you cant believe everyone online...

But a lot of talk on this message board is about how Luka needs a PNR partner, KP sucks at it, etc...

I get that maybe the Mavs are saving a polished Luka/KP PNR game for the playoffs...but the talk on here makes it sound like KP is not ideal at all.

I guess Im confused.  Is he trash at offensive PNR?  If so...why?  

Definitely agree that we need to wait for Playoffs and see what transpires.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 02:58 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I fully understand you cant believe everyone online...

But a lot of talk on this message board is about how Luka needs a PNR partner, KP sucks at it, etc...

I get that maybe the Mavs are saving a polished Luka/KP PNR game for the playoffs...but the talk on here makes it sound like KP is not ideal at all.

I guess Im confused.  Is he trash at offensive PNR?  If so...why?  

Definitely agree that we need to wait for Playoffs and see what transpires.

59.4 percentile. 1.15 ppp. As the role man. Not good enough to be the main focus of the pick and roll attack.

For comparisation:

Dwight Powell 2021 88.4 percentile 1.35ppp
Dwight Powell 2020 86.6 percentile 1.35ppp
Dwight Powell 2019 90.3 percentile 1.33ppp

It all starts with KPs screens. If we can even call them screens. More often than not he is not even setting a legit screens and slips early. Trying to force the switch.

Powell 3.2 screen assists in 16.1 minutes (4.7 in 26.5 minutes last season)
Porzingis 3.0 screen assists in 31.1 minutes

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dynamicalVoid - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 03:18 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: 59.4 percentile. 1.15 ppp. As the role man. Not good enough to be the main focus of the pick and roll attack.

For comparisation:

Dwight Powell 2021 88.4 percentile 1.35ppp
Dwight Powell 2020 86.6 percentile 1.35ppp
Dwight Powell 2019 90.3 percentile 1.33ppp

It all starts with KPs screens. If we can even call them screens. More often than not he is not even setting a legit screens and slips early. Trying to force the switch.

Powell 3.2 screen assists in 16.1 minutes (4.7 in 26.5 minutes last season)
Porzingis 3.0 screen assists in 31.1 minutes

And this is what I dont understand...

It cant be THAT hard to correct how you screen.  It cant be.   

Which brings me back to my questions above...

Is it risk of injury(too much contact setting screens)?  Doesnt like that play style?

For 30M a year...it cant be that he sucks at it or he's insubordinate.  Cant be.   Right?  

The Mavs cant teach him how to properly set a screen?  Thats coaching not the player.  I find that hard to believe...which points the finger back to KP.

He cant suck at it because the Mavs are a top notch program and have the ability to teach him up on proper screens, right?  So...why is KP not wanting to set proper screens?

Or is this one of those bluff moves and KP is going to set Steven Adams-like screens come Playoffs?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 05-10-2021

There are times where the ball handler moves waaaay before KP gets there. To me they seem to wait on Powell to get in place. Now, mind you, that could be KP either moving too slow, or not being familiar enough with the offense to know where and when he needs to be there. However, I don’t think that is not the “it” you’re looking for.

I will say I’ve seen him more timely on the pick lately where he gets a bit of body on the defender, but not frequent enough I’m afraid. 

He will do this thing where he runs up to the defender and basically put his hand on them as if to say...”I’m setting a pick on you right now” and the defender at times will switch as if he did actually set a pick, but it just looks like a weird game of tag.

Once defenders figure out he isn’t setting a hard pick like Powell does though, it becomes useless.

(05-10-2021, 02:35 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: For me, KP either plays every playoff game this year and plays well or I'm out.

I am with you on this...

I will add that if there is some surgery or issue where KP cannot work on his game this summer...I would really be thinking about moving him depending on how great he looked in Playoffs.

Some on here have suggested that working out in the summer is not a big deal and the value of it is overhyped by fans(Maybe the Mavs Organization doesnt think its a big deal either)...and this could be.  But...in KP's case...he has been injured and sidelined from working out for what...like 3 summers?  Hes young and can improve his game.  He needs to be available to strengthen his body and improve his bball skills in the summer.  I dont think thats asking too much for 30M.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 03:18 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: It all starts with KPs screens. If we can even call them screens. More often than not he is not even setting a legit screens and slips early. 

That drive me NUTS.  

BTW, I heard there was supposed to be a 2:15 press conference with Rick and KP today.  I was scared he was having another surgery but nothing in this thread so I guess no big news.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Hogmelon - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 04:33 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: That drive me NUTS.  

BTW, I heard there was supposed to be a 2:15 press conference with Rick and KP today.  I was scared he was having another surgery but nothing in this thread so I guess no big news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_px2IdMKcmM

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-10-2021

KP back on Weds sounds perfect to me. Get up to game speed those last 3 games and ready for the playoffs.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 05-11-2021

(05-10-2021, 04:37 PM)Hogmelon Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_px2IdMKcmM
Thanks for posting that interview. Super interesting responses from KP.

The first one and the biggest one to me was how he stressed how tough this year was for him. He waited for the surgery to take time off thinking the season would resume in March. Obviously that doesn't happen which forces him to be out all training camp, all preseason, and once the regular season started there have been basically zero practices.

Which KP emphasized. He came back early and was thrown in the fire and basically had no opportunity to practice and gel with the team. This can explain A LOT of why there's no chemistry while he's out there and can explain why he just always looks slow. It's no surprise to me that after the winter storm where the Mavs had a couple of practices KP comes back averaging 22/10 on great shooting and the Mavs looked dominant. All the more reason to give KP a chance to have an offseason with a clean bill of health before conjuring up another slew of trades shipping him out for a bag of chips. 

Another answer he gave that will probably get the most headlines because we live in a click baity world was how he tiptoed around playing the 4 and his dislike about it. I'll be honest I really hated how he answered that question and it painted him more about how he wants his versus team success. I'll give KP the benefit of the doubt and believe he didn't really mean it that way and was just worded poorly. In any case he should really try and be less candid with the media. Dude is too eloquent sometimes.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 05-11-2021

(05-11-2021, 12:46 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Another answer he gave that will probably get the most headlines because we live in a click baity world was how he tiptoed around playing the 4 and his dislike about it. I'll be honest I really hated how he answered that question and it painted him more about how he wants his versus team success. I'll give KP the benefit of the doubt and believe he didn't really mean it that way and was just worded poorly. In any case he should really try and be less candid with the media. Dude is too eloquent sometimes.

One thing I really like about KP is his interview game. He speaks so freaking well, and puts thoughts together quite cogently relative to other pro athletes. I don't know if he's just like that or if it's the result of the kind of media training you get when you get drafted by a New York team, but it's clear to me that he runs rings around our local reporters. 

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from with the above. He didn't really seem interested in communicating a "hey, it's great that Dwight is playing so well, and I'm excited to fit in and add to what's working" vibe when posed with that question.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 05-11-2021

(05-11-2021, 12:58 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: One thing I really like about KP is his interview game. He speaks so freaking well, and puts thoughts together quite cogently relative to other pro athletes. I don't know if he's just like that or if it's the result of the kind of media training you get when you get drafted by a New York team, but it's clear to me that he runs rings around our local reporters. 

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from with the above. He didn't really seem interested in communicating a "hey, it's great that Dwight is playing so well, and I'm excited to fit in and add to what's working" vibe when posed with that question.
He was basically fine until he said "it is what it is", then he rambled off a bit of possible telling information. Not conclusive at all, but is fuel to any fire people want to use it as such and nothing to those that aren't looking for something.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - F Gump - 05-11-2021

(05-10-2021, 04:37 PM)Hogmelon Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_px2IdMKcmM

Thanks for posting that. My impression from watching the actual video is that his intent was way less passive-aggressive than some of the selected quotes as reported made it sound. In particular the last question about positions, rather than being frustrated or resigned over what "position" he is playing, it sounded more in live stream that he's just taking it as it comes with the expectation that he can play with DP, or whoever, and he thinks they can make it work well.

I also think that, with English not being his natural language, he doesn't perceive and intend the nuance that we feel when he says "It is what it is." From watching his expression and context when he uses that (and he uses it repeatedly, as somewhat of a go-to expression when he seems to be at a loss for words), I think he means something like "I don't make those decisions, but I'm really not worried by that at all" rather than "I don't like it but that's life so I'll try to make do" as we tend to take it.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 05-11-2021

(05-11-2021, 04:27 AM)F Gump Wrote: Thanks for posting that. My impression from watching the actual video is that his intent was way less passive-aggressive than some of the selected quotes as reported made it sound. In particular the last question about positions, rather than being frustrated or resigned over what "position" he is playing, it sounded more in live stream that he's just taking it as it comes with the expectation that he can play with DP, or whoever, and he thinks they can make it work well.

I tend to agree.  I'm less interested in the throw-away line (it is what it is) and more interested in trying to read him when he says "we try to make it work" and "I hope I'll have my opportunities within the O".  On more than one occasion Tim Cato has passionately defended KP as a smart, brutally honest, introspective interview (my paraphrasing).  He will tell you exactly what the intent of a play was and why it worked or didn't.  I've definitely seen some passive-aggressive body language this season.  But, I didn't hear it in the answers in that interview.  I read the slight delay and stammering as he started to answer as more of a "here we go again" because almost anything he says...that is honest...is going to get picked apart.  

I went back and watched KP's shots in the three games where KP and Powell started.  Of course, KP and Powell aren't sharing the court for 30 minutes.  There are KP/Maxi minutes and KP/WCS minutes and KP/DFS at PF minutes too.  There are also lineups where Powell can be effective while KP is sitting.  Something I noticed in 37 shot attempts is VERY FEW of them came off passes from Luka.  It is mainly secondary action when Powell is in the game where KP and JRich or KP and THJ are running some version of a side PnR or post up action.  The assists from Luka came in early offense flow type Pick and Pops.  Otherwise, there looked to be only one set play where Powell pinned KP's man and he flashed to the FT line and got a pass from Luka that came out of the halftime break.  

I think playing "center" is an almost meaningless designation on D.  KP is going to pick up the guy that it makes the most sense for him to guard.  But, on "O", the term does have meaning and the "center" is involved more often in the primary action with Luka.  The "PF" goes to the corner and then gets involved in certain sets or as an alternative when the primary action breaks down.  I believe the issue for KP at PF is the opportunity set with the starters on the floor is limited if one of those starters is Powell or WCS.  I'm tempted to say "so what".  Any action that comes from Luka running the PnR with Powell or WCS is incredibly efficient.  I'll also note that JRich gets more floor time with KP than any other player.  Last year KP/Curry minutes were a +9 and this year KP/JRich minutes are +2.5.  I don't think the issue is playmaking.  I think it is JRich's lack of a consistent 3 point shot allows too much defensive pressure on KP.  BTW, last season when Powell, KP and Curry were on the floor, the team was +21.  But last year almost all KP/Powell lineups were incredibly positive.

If Powell and WCS are playing well, it is hard to justify 100% of KP's minutes at Center.  IF you are going to do that, then you need a better version of Maxi/Nelli/DFS at PF next to him.  You probably also need next year's version of JRich to be an outside shooter (and defender and secondary playmaker).  But, we all know that already.  Given where we are, I think it might be easier to figure out how to get more action between Luka and KP when a non-shooter like Powell or WCS is on the floor with KP.  Lots of other teams do this with a rim running center and it doesn't kill the opportunity set for their PF.  I really don't believe the issue is KP not wanting to play "PF".  It is the idea that in this offense the opportunity to contribute is somewhat limited.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - embellisher - 05-11-2021

(05-11-2021, 04:27 AM)F Gump Wrote: I also think that, with English not being his natural language, he doesn't perceive and intend the nuance that we feel when he says "It is what it is." From watching his expression and context when he uses that (and he uses it repeatedly, as somewhat of a go-to expression when he seems to be at a loss for words), I think he means something like "I don't make those decisions, but I'm really not worried by that at all" rather than "I don't like it but that's life so I'll try to make do" as we tend to take it.

Kind of like the GOAT starting almost every answer to a question with "obviously". It is almost a tic, or what they call in public speaking classes a "verbal pause". KP uses this a lot, could be one of the first expressions he used and understood when learning English.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Hypermav - 05-11-2021

I just don't see the MBT trading him.  

KP island will be a nice place to live, just "kneed" to remodel some condos and add a gym.  Those will be added over the summer per management.  KP island is easily accessible, located just off the Luka mainland.  Just check the ferry schedule as the passage is determined by the mainland.

Walker island is very small and has a rocky shore and has no unicorns.   There Ainge much demand for that broken down place.

I hear Beal island is fantastic, if we have to move.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Jason Terry - 05-11-2021

(05-11-2021, 08:58 AM)Hypermav Wrote: I just don't see the MBT trading him.  

KP island will be a nice place to live, just "kneed" to remodel some condos and add a gym.  Those will be added over the summer per management.  KP island is easily accessible, located just off the Luka mainland.  Just check the ferry schedule as the passage is determined by the mainland.

Walker island is very small and has a rocky shore and has no unicorns.   There Ainge much demand for that broken down place.

I hear Beal island is fantastic, if we have to move.
Parsonzingis Island isn’t so bad. There’s a lane that goes from one end of the island to the other. Never anything standing in the way of getting across. Maybe we can build gyms and condos? Risky though after Hurricane ACL. Even a tropical storm could rip apart new structures. Cost estimates $102 million over 3 years 

Yeah the rocky Walker Island surely would be bad for our ankles 

I don’t bealive we have the toll bridge fee to get to Beal Island but i hear it’s fancy

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 05-11-2021

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/262535/Porzingis-Doesnt-Know-What-Cuban-Is-Talking-About-Concerning-Doncic-Dust-Ups

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 05-11-2021

(05-11-2021, 08:58 AM)Hypermav Wrote: just "kneed" to remodel some condos and add a gym

[Image: dc7c3e24bdf2e5c39b02448925d26b1b.gif]