MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Fuerza1 - 11-08-2019

Quote:"... Doncic might already be the league's best lob passer.

He has great chemistry with Powell and Kleber. His partnership with Kristaps Porzingis is a work in progress. Opponents have outscored the Mavericks by 4.5 points per 100 possessions with both stars on the floor. Meanwhile, the Mavs are plus-28 in the 67 minutes Doncic has played without Porzingis -- and a monster plus-25 in 44 minutes with both out.

Porzingis spends a lot time spotting up around the Doncic/Powell and Doncic/Kleber two-man games; Doncic and Porzingis have partnered for only about 19 pick-and-rolls per 100 possessions, compared to 40 for Powell and 31 for Kleber.

That spot-up role is valuable. Rick Carlisle has other sets to spring Porzingis. Doncic and Porzingis have complementary skill sets; they will discover their sweet spots, though to make this thing sing, Porzingis has to get better abusing smaller defenders when opponents switch the Doncic-Porzingis pick-and-roll. Fadeaways aren't cutting it. He's not Dirk."

From Lowe's 10 things article on ESPN today. Seems like the Mavs have played much better without Porzingis thus far.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SportPsychMav - 11-08-2019

That's what is called upside Wink.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Tyler - 11-08-2019

(11-08-2019, 02:27 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Seems like the Mavs have played much better without Porzingis thus far.

And they also played better without Luka!

Which just goes to show that +/- is more about the timing of the coaching substitutions, picking his spots where he knows the bench can succeed without the stars, than it is about the play of any one player overall.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - michaeltex - 11-08-2019

I know this is the KP thread, but...

Watching the lob pass from Luka to Maxi, it looked like a QB hitting his receiver on a post pattern behind the safety. Lot of moving parts, but after the completion all the receiver had to do was score. That's the type of action they need to develop with KP.

Now if he could just start getting more respect from the referees...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - TanMan - 11-08-2019

I found this to be an interesting read and learned some new things about the deterioration of the relationship between KP and the Knicks...

https://nypost.com/2019/11/08/inside-toxic-kristaps-porzingis-knicks-marriage-that-made-trade-inevitable/

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - michaeltex - 11-08-2019

(11-08-2019, 04:16 PM)TanMan Wrote: I found this to be an interesting read and learned some new things about the deterioration of the relationship between KP and the Knicks...

https://nypost.com/2019/11/08/inside-toxic-kristaps-porzingis-knicks-marriage-that-made-trade-inevitable/
Anyone notice the difference in muscle definition between the Mavs and Knicks photos?

Any chance his improved strength affects his shot for a while? I know it's been a gradual thing while he rehabs, but in a game you revert to learned behavior and maybe he's still learning?

Just spit ballin' here...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ClutchDirk - 11-08-2019

https://twitter.com/TheFrankIsola/status/1192955437060173825

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Fuerza1 - 11-08-2019

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1192953925898559488

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Kammrath - 11-12-2019

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1194094891917357061

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SportPsychMav - 11-12-2019

0.55 points per post play

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Mavs2019 - 11-12-2019

(11-12-2019, 01:17 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: 0.55 points per post play
Well duh. It seems every person, but the headcoach can tell that Porzingis sucks at it. He´ll eventually have to improve these areas of his game, but for now play him at center and get him open face-up catch and shoots, plus a few lobs at the rim. For example have they ever run the Dirk trail three for him? Confused

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Fuerza1 - 11-12-2019

Flush it. 

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - fifteenth - 11-12-2019

(11-12-2019, 01:32 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
Well duh. It seems every person, but the headcoach can tell that Porzingis sucks at it. He´ll eventually have to improve these areas of his game, but for now play him at center and get him open face-up catch and shoots, plus a few lobs at the rim. For example have they ever run the Dirk trail three for him? Confused

The coach doesn't give up after 10 games like message board people. And yes he has hit catch and shoot 3s above the break

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - mavsluvr - 11-13-2019

(11-08-2019, 04:16 PM)TanMan Wrote: I found this to be an interesting read and learned some new things about the deterioration of the relationship between KP and the Knicks...

Summary of seasons with Knicks --

2015-2016  Things went well, except for some minor injuries. However, Phil Jackson sought offers for KP after the season. Had big picture concerns about long-term durability. Saw that smaller, more muscular players could successfully defend against KP postups. Balance issues with KP's shot. Did not pull the trigger on a trade. KP probably never knew he was shopped around. 

2016-2017  The situation deteriorated from both sides. KP was unhappy that the front office was trying to run Melo off, as he looked up to Melo. The team perceived that KP was exhibiting diva behavior, citing cursing the head coach during practice, parking haphazardly in front of the players' entrance instead of using his assigned spot, missing the team's biggest season-ticket holders' event, and asking for an "inordinate" number of free tickets for the US Open and then cancelling when he didn't get them all. He also blew off his exit interview at the end of the season.

Jackson again pursued offers for KP after the season, believing that he could get a huge haul. In addition to the above issues, Phil did not like KP's brother/agent Janis and thought he was too inexperienced. The Celtics offered a "trove of assets," but Jackson did not complete the trade, possibly on orders of Jim Dolan. 

2017-2018  Jackson was fired during the offseason, and Steve Mills sought to bury the hatchet, but KP did not trust him. KP brought his personal physiotherapist to NYC on his own dime, and wanted the team to hire him, or give him access to the facilities.  Janis also wanted a job with the Knicks, but the team wasn't interested. KP was voted an All-Star, but the Knicks experienced rampant losing. In February, KP tore his ACL. The Knicks were disappointed when he decided to rehab in Spain, but went along with it. 

2018-2019  KP stayed all summer in Spain. KP was accused of rape, and in October, the accuser wanted the team to mediate the situation. KP denied the accusation. As the season progressed, KP became more detached, arranging to come to rehab before Knicks practices, meaning that he would  spend very little time around teammates. When it came time to start practicing with assistant coaches, he stopped showing up. The Knicks were getting the feeling that KP had no intention of playing in 18-19, and started having discussions with other teams after Christmas. In January, Janis announced that KP wanted a trade, and that if he were not traded, he would return to Spain to complete his rehab. 

He was traded to the Mavs. The Mavs hired the personal trainer, who works mostly with KP and rides on the team plane to road games. The Knicks were not able to sign a star free agent with the cap space created by the trade.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - mavsluvr - 11-13-2019

(11-13-2019, 12:13 AM)balldontliez Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 12:06 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:

Summary of seasons with Knicks --

2015-2016  Things went well, except for some minor injuries. However, Phil Jackson sought offers for KP after the season. Had big picture concerns about long-term durability. Saw that smaller, more muscular players could successfully defend against KP postups. Balance issues with KP's shot. Did not pull the trigger on a trade. KP probably never knew he was shopped around. 

2016-2017  The situation deteriorated from both sides. KP was unhappy that the front office was trying to run Melo off, as he looked up to Melo. The team perceived that KP was exhibiting diva behavior, citing cursing the head coach during practice, parking haphazardly in front of the players' entrance instead of using his assigned spot, missing the team's biggest season-ticket holders' event, and asking for an "inordinate" number of free tickets for the US Open and then cancelling when he didn't get them all. He also blew off his exit interview at the end of the season.

Jackson again pursued offers for KP after the season, believing that he could get a huge haul. In addition to the above issues, Phil did not like KP's brother/agent Janis and thought he was too inexperienced. The Celtics offered a "trove of assets," but Jackson did not complete the trade, possibly on orders of Jim Dolan. 

2017-2018  Jackson was fired during the offseason, and Steve Mills sought to bury the hatchet, but KP did not trust him. KP brought his personal physiotherapist to NYC on his own dime, and wanted the team to hire him, or give him access to the facilities.  Janis also wanted a job with the Knicks, but the team wasn't interested. KP was voted an All-Star, but the Knicks experienced rampant losing. In February, KP tore his ACL. The Knicks were disappointed when he decided to rehab in Spain, but went along with it. 

2018-2019  KP stayed all summer in Spain. KP was accused of rape, and in October, the accuser wanted the team to mediate the situation. KP denied the accusation. As the season progressed, KP became more detached, arranging to come to rehab before Knicks practices, meaning that he would  spend very little time around teammates. When it came time to start practicing with assistant coaches, he stopped showing up. The Knicks were getting the feeling that KP had no intention of playing in 18-19, and started having discussions with other teams after Christmas. In January, Janis announced that KP wanted a trade, and that if he were not traded, he would return to Spain to complete his rehab. 

He was traded to the Mavs. The Mavs hired the personal trainer, who works mostly with KP and rides on the team plane to road games. The Knicks were not able to sign a star free agent with the cap space created by the trade.

@mavsluvr 

man i thought your name might be an imposter until i read that in depth analysis. i think i speak for all when i say i missed your game recaps. i got way more info from those than any blog or article. 
feel free to post those here, if you so incline. if not, no worries, we are thrilled to have you here. one of the few posters i always stop scrolling to read every word. 

sorry to hear about the difficulties registering. ill get this fixed asap. we appreciate your patience.
Thanks so much for ur kind words, bdl. I look forward to some Mavs chat with you and the other great posters here this season!

Further on KP, the Knicks suspected Melo might have poisoned the well with KP. Don't know if that was real or not.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ClutchDirk - 11-13-2019

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1194682396483969024

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1194653932926177281

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1194680485940809728

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Mavs2019 - 11-13-2019

(11-12-2019, 09:16 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

The coach doesn't give up after 10 games like message board people. And yes he has hit catch and shoot 3s above the break
Maybe you should give up the preconceptions with which you read each of my posts. Who said anything about giving up?

The guy hasn´t played basketball in 18 months, he´s rusty, probably low on confidence (at least in his body) and playing for a new team. A team that cannot afford to work on such things mid-season, unless you are willing to sacrifice this post-season for long-term success. Maybe we could focus on his strengths for now and then gradually work on his weaknesses later, given that we have him for the next five years.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SportPsychMav - 11-13-2019

(11-13-2019, 02:20 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 09:16 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

Maybe you should give up the preconceptions with which you read each of my posts. Who said anything about giving up?

The guy hasn´t played basketball in 18 months, he´s rusty, probably low on confidence (at least in his body) and playing for a new team. A team that cannot afford to work on such things mid-season, unless you are willing to sacrifice this post-season for long-term success. Maybe we could focus on his strengths for now and then gradually work on his weaknesses later, given that we have him for the next five years.
He will do so after 20/30 games.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - JamesConway - 11-13-2019

Porzingis is in the 6th percentile right now in post plays. In his last year for the Knicks he was in the 74th.

If he gets back to that level he'll be more than fine. He just needs more time, that's it. Porzingis has shown what he can do plenty of times in NY already. He alone was good enough to keep them in the playoff race that season, the moment he went down they went on a terrible run and pretty much stopped winning basketball games.

We have other stuff to worry about...mainly the subpar talent level behind Luka and KP. But that's on the front office.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - fifteenth - 11-13-2019

(11-13-2019, 02:23 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Wrote: Maybe you should give up the preconceptions with which you read each of my posts. Who said anything about giving up?

I don't have preconceptions about your posts, I don't even know who you are. I just responded to what you said:

"It seems every person, but the headcoach can tell that Porzingis sucks at it." 

I responded to that. 

What do you think my preconceptions are?

You also asked if he'd hit trail 3s. I assumed it was a legit question, so told you what I've seen.