MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 06:24 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Because they have no reason to be jealous or negative about him at all...

He might be cooking, but he is not done at all.

Yes, a knee INJURY is cause for concern. This has not been deemed a knee injury though.

To sum this all up.

He played 0 of 31 games in 2018/2019
He played 51 of 67 games in the 2019/2020 regular season
He played 9 of 14 games in the bubble 2019/2020
He played 40 of 62 games in the 2020/2021 regular season

So far he has played 100 out of 174 games for the Mavs (57% of games), which is the exact same percentage he played for the Knicks. So that is pretty much who he is. He´ll be available 57% of the time, which means roughly every 2nd post-season. Maybe if he played like Embiid or at least Gobert, you´d live with that.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 06:52 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Jealous
Yes, of the trade.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 04-30-2021

I think KP needs to be moved but I always think the "soft" label is kind of strange.  Outside of scheduled rest he hasn't really missed that many games.  No one is calling Luka soft for resting yesterday but people jump at the chance with KP.  No one is calling:

Anthony Davis,
Jaren Jackson Jr,
Jusuf Nurkic,
Christian Wood,
James Wiseman,
Mitchell Robinson 

Soft despite them all missing more games.  That doesn't include Embiid or KAT who have also missed around 20 games.

I understand the dude has a history of being in street clothes but this isn't really the year to go after his health, he missed a few games with the back and has missed a few now because of the ankle/knee but in a regular schedule he wouldn't have missed games due to the meniscus and came back way quicker than people expected.  Most of the missed games are precautionary.

Also, no one was calling him soft when he dropped 30/15 on that same torn meniscus in the playoffs.

The dude has his flaws but I always hate when injury prone bigs (which is like all of them other than Shaq) get called soft.  By all accounts he wants to be out there, can't imagine being attacked over something you can't control.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mapka - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 10:13 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I think KP needs to be moved but I always think the "soft" label is kind of strange.  Outside of scheduled rest he hasn't really missed that many games.  No one is calling Luka soft for resting yesterday but people jump at the chance with KP.  No one is calling:

Anthony Davis,
Jaren Jackson Jr,
Jusuf Nurkic,
Christian Wood,
James Wiseman,
Mitchell Robinson 

Soft despite them all missing more games.  That doesn't include Embiid or KAT who have also missed around 20 games.

I understand the dude has a history of being in street clothes but this isn't really the year to go after his health, he missed a few games with the back and has missed a few now because of the ankle/knee but in a regular schedule he wouldn't have missed games due to the meniscus and came back way quicker than people expected.  Most of the missed games are precautionary.

Also, no one was calling him soft when he dropped 30/15 on that same torn meniscus in the playoffs.

The dude has his flaws but I always hate when injury prone bigs (which is like all of them other than Shaq) get called soft.  By all accounts he wants to be out there, can't imagine being attacked over something you can't control.

Yes, this soft thing always seems sooo strange to me. Not only did he take a tech to protect Luka in the playoffs (we should have someone else for this), he also get literally in a barfight with some russian thugs protecting someone else. This is like badass in a movie tough (hope this will never happen again).

He also has this "I´ll eat your children alive, if you mess with me" - stare, sometimes.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - BasketballJones41 - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 10:33 AM)Mapka Wrote: Yes, this soft thing always seems sooo strange to me. Not only did he take a tech to protect Luka in the playoffs (we should have someone else for this), he also get literally in a barfight with some russian thugs protecting someone else. This is like badass in a movie tough (hope this will never happen again). 

He also has this "I´ll eat your children alive, if you mess with me" - stare, sometimes.
I agree with this for sure. KP isn’t soft. Injury prone is probably accurate but that doesn’t equal soft. KP making Morris look like a bitch he is was one of my favorite moments of the series last year. Euros for whatever reason get unfairly hit with the soft label. It was bullshit when they said it about Dirk and it’s bullshit when anybody says it about Luka or KP. That being said I’m genuinely torn on trading him or not. I’d say I’m right at 50/50. We’ll see what happens in the playoffs.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 10:44 AM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: I agree with this for sure. KP isn’t soft. Injury prone is probably accurate but that doesn’t equal soft. KP making Morris look like a bitch he is was one of my favorite moments of the series last year. Euros for whatever reason get unfairly hit with the soft label. It was bullshit when they said it about Dirk and it’s bullshit when anybody says it about Luka or KP. That being said I’m genuinely torn on trading him or not. I’d say I’m right at 50/50. We’ll see what happens in the playoffs.

Soft is probably the wrong word but compared to Dirk he clearly lacks some strength. Dirk obviously wasn´t a shot blocker but he had the lower body strength to hold his position in the post and boxout legit 7ft 260+ guys. On offense he could create a lot of space with his bumps. KP is getting bullied in the paint and cannot backdown guards. Best example. First quarter yesterday.  6´8 I.Stewart was pushing him around in the paint and he couldn´t do anything about it.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 04-30-2021

I am ready to trade KP. Too injury prone and I don't think he's happy here. I am rooting for him to finish the year strong. I expect him to play well in the playoffs and make us think twice about trading him. That would be ideal though bc it means Mavs could trade him while his value is up. I just don't think long-term this situation is going to work out and there's too much risk as well that because of injury or coach conflicts or whatever that his value goes way down.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - BasketballJones41 - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 10:55 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Soft is probably the wrong word but compared to Dirk he clearly lacks some strength. Dirk obviously wasn´t a shot blocker but he had the lower body strength to hold his position in the post and boxout legit 7ft 260+ guys. On offense he could create a lot of space with his bumps. KP is getting bullied in the paint and cannot backdown guards. Best example. First quarter yesterday.  6´8 I.Stewart was pushing him around in the paint and he couldn´t do anything about it.
Completely agree. Dirk was a tough dude and was severely underrated as a rebounder.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 10:55 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Soft is probably the wrong word but compared to Dirk he clearly lacks some strength. Dirk obviously wasn´t a shot blocker but he had the lower body strength to hold his position in the post and boxout legit 7ft 260+ guys. On offense he could create a lot of space with his bumps. KP is getting bullied in the paint and cannot backdown guards. Best example. First quarter yesterday.  6´8 I.Stewart was pushing him around in the paint and he couldn´t do anything about it.

He is not soft. He´s not lacking strength. He´s just too tall to play basketball in the NBA (especially the new NBA) for an extended period of time > 8 years / +500 games.

I have been telling Rockets fans this 15 years ago about Yao Ming´s load management. He was playing for the Chinese national team every summer, so he was literally playing 100 professional games every year. Yao was probably less injury prone, more skllled and playing at a slower pace. He lasted three full schedule, then the cracks appeared and by season 7 he was finished.

That was always the huge risk, when making this trade. All the statistical evidence was there, but for what we had to give up, it was still a reasonable decision to make the trade.

The extension though was HORRIBLE. Look at all the injury clauses the Sixers negotiated with Embiid. Here is what Embiid´s contract breaks down:

Full contract: 147/5 (basically like Porzingis)

If he gets hurt badly in....

Year 1: 84/5 (guaranteed)
Year 2: 98/5 (guaranteed)
Year 3: 113/5 (guaranteed)
Year 4: 129/5 (guaranteed)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 04-30-2021

The bottom line on KP

Throw all speculation of any kind aside. This is the ONLY thing that matters when assessing the question of whether to keep KP or trade him: his fit with Luka on the court.

[Image: Screenshot-2021-04-30-1.43.30-PM.png]

The Luka+KP net rating ranks the Mavs as 14th in the NBA

The Luka rating without KP (+6.1) ranks the Mavs 3rd in the NBA.

So the bottom line is this:

• When Luka and KP have played together this year the Mavs have been a fringe playoff team or lottery team.
  • When Luka has played without KP this year the Mavs have been an elite contender.

(04-30-2021, 01:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The bottom line on KP

Throw all speculation of any kind aside. This is the ONLY thing that matters when assessing the question of whether to keep KP or trade him: his fit with Luka on the court.

• When Luka and KP have played together this year the Mavs have been a fringe playoff team or lottery team.
  • When Luka has played without KP this year the Mavs have been an elite contender.

Well there is one other option: try to find a new coach that makes it work on the court. *meltdowns incoming* Big Grin

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - IamDougieFresh - 04-30-2021

What does KP + Shitardson get us? I'll even throw in Dwight.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mapka - 04-30-2021

What does a 1.1 point net rating make them?

I´ll say it happily again: every stat is skewed this year, every single one. And the ones for the Mavs are doubled and trippled skewed.

I´m fine if you tell me KP was bad just after his injury - I´m fine if you tell me he looks not happy or wants to be involved (he should want to be) or him being injury prone.

I´m not fine with making players plus-minus a conclusion.

Sry if this sounds harsh, I might be a little triggered by some knicks fan trolling us against KP and pulling so many people on his side Smile

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 01:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote: So the bottom line is this:

First of all, the emphasis is on this year. Even not whole year, just this year so far. A very strange and special year, one might add. Is it really that difficult to at least wait till the end of the season? Can't we perhaps also have a look at last season? Why is the conclusion that it can only get worse. Why is there no possibility for a conclusion, it may get better? There are multiple signs that it can be better.

Second - there is a huge amount of noise in those net ratings, it is far from bottomline. We can add a bit more context. When Luka played and KP didn't, Mavs were 11-8, 57 % win share. When both played Mavs were 22-15, 59 % win share. When Luka-JRich-DFS-Kleber-KP started, Mavs were 16-6, good for 73 % win share. Needless to say no other combination came close to this success. When Powell went in for Kleber, Mavs are 2-0. It clearly shows there was a large amount of games where Luka and KP played, but the supporting crew was weak. This also gives hope that Mavs are actually good when everybody is available. It just wasn't very often that everybody was available.

(04-30-2021, 02:11 PM)omahen Wrote: First of all, the emphasis is on this year. Even not whole year, just this year so far. A very strange and special year, one might add. Is it really that difficult to at least wait till the end of the season? Can't we perhaps also have a look at last season? Why is the conclusion that it can only get worse. Why is there no possibility for a conclusion, it may get better? There are multiple signs that it can be better.

Second - there is a huge amount of noise in those net ratings, it is far from bottomline. We can add a bit more context. When Luka played and KP didn't, Mavs were 11-8, 57 % win share. When both played Mavs were 22-15, 59 % win share. When Luka-JRich-DFS-Kleber-KP started, Mavs were 16-6, good for 73 % win share. Needless to say no other combination came close to this success. When Powell went in for Kleber, Mavs are 2-0. It clearly shows there was a large amount of games where Luka and KP played, but the supporting crew was weak. This also gives hope that Mavs are actually good when everybody is available. It just wasn't very often that everybody was available.

That´s what I actually wanted to say. Big Grin

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 04-30-2021

Where are you getting those stats? I've scoured BBref, ESPN, NBA that uses ORTG/DRTG/Net rating along with lineup data. 

Are you using 5 man combinations? If so you don't think there could be noise in that data? Namely 3 other players on the court that could be affecting that overall net rating? 

KP is apart of our 4 best 5-man lineups in terms of 100 possessions.
Brunson/DFS/JRich/Kleber/KP- +19.8, 31 minutes
Brunson/Jrich/Luka/DFS/KP- +17.7 30 minutes
Brunson/Jrich/THJ/DFS/KP- +17.5 113 minutes
Luka/JRich/DFS/Kleber/KP- +12.4 282 minutes

The last one being our most played 5 man lineup. 

In fact this trend holds true with almost every lineup combination data. KP is apart of almost every positive lineup. 

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 01:57 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Well there is one other option: try to find a new coach that makes it work on the court. *meltdowns incoming* Big Grin

Doesn't really move the needle for me if KP is only going to be available 60% of the time.  I'm not putting KP at fault for his luck when it comes to medicals, but it is what it is.

(04-30-2021, 02:36 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Where are you getting those stats? I've scoured BBref, ESPN, NBA that uses ORTG/DRTG/Net rating along with lineup data. 

Are you using 5 man combinations? If so you don't think there could be noise in that data? Namely 3 other players on the court that could be affecting that overall net rating? 

In fact this trend holds true with almost every lineup combination data. KP is apart of almost every positive lineup. 

I guess there is some KP-WCS-JJohnson-WesIwundu-Luka 5 min Lineup with a -248 per 100 position dragging him down in this graphic.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 02:36 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Where are you getting those stats? I've scoured BBref, ESPN, NBA that uses ORTG/DRTG/Net rating along with lineup data. 

KP is a part of almost every positive lineup if we are simply ignoring all the other positive lineups and ignore all the negative lineups that feature him. I think I am taking a break for the rest of the day. This is going nowhere.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 02:59 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: KP is a part of almost every positive lineup if we are simply ignoring all the other positive lineups and ignore all the negative lineups that feature him. I think I am taking a break for the rest of the day. This is going nowhere.

Trying to convince people of your point on the internet is a useless endeavor Wink . 

On/Off data and lineups aren't my strong suit. My post wasn't more to prop KP up, but moreso was confused by Kamm's pic and where he got his data. 

After scouring BBref and NBA I found that KP was apart of some of our best lineups. Thats it.