MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 04-20-2021

(04-20-2021, 12:53 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: This is if you are one of the people that thinks KP could be a lot better if he actually had a healthy offseason to strengthen and work on his game. 

This would hurt his trade value as teams would question whats going on.  Again...this is only if you think the potential is there for him to be a lot better with a healthy off season and because it doesnt seem like the Mavs are trying to do anything this year.

More than a healthy offseason, I think he needs NBA GAMES to learn and grow. The offseason does offer growth opportunities but it has become this mythical beast for many, like the offseason will somehow turn him into a different kind of player.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dynamicalVoid - 04-20-2021

(04-20-2021, 01:15 PM)Kammrath Wrote: More than a healthy offseason, I think he needs NBA GAMES to learn and grow. The offseason does offer growth opportunities but it has become this mythical beast for many, like the offseason will somehow turn him into a different kind of player.

I mean...Dirk, Luka and Harden all add stuff to their games to make them harder to stop every off season.   I get what you are saying.  In the last three years...how many off seasons has he had to work?  Hes pretty young too.   I think a healthy off season would help him.   Mavs may not care one bit and are ready to move him...but I think KP has a lot of room to grow if he wants to.

Something that takes work to wire your brain to get it but something that would be easy to help KP be better quickly...someone tell him to stop getting faked out on pumps.   He is tall/long enough and quick enough to just wait until the guy commits and then go for the block.   He gets caught in the air too much and easy foul....when he would be more disruptive to not jump, keep his hands up and make the ball handler make another move.  Even when he is dragging a step behind a player about to make a layup...wait like a quarter of a second longer to make sure the guy doesnt pump.

KP has that bank shot that was money in the bubble and he uses every now and again...but another off season of working on that shot could up his FG% a bit even if its a shot teams dont like these days.   He could work on catching the ball in the post and protecting the ball from a wildcatter come from the backside and snatching the ball out of his hands(that is part team not communicating to him...but he needs to expect a wildcatter from backside every time he touches the ball).   He can work on a tighter dribble and protecting the ball more when he puts it on the floor.   Work setting screens...maybe find a technique that he doesnt feel vulnerable to injury or whatever the issue with his screens are.  Work on boxing out.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - JamesConway - 04-20-2021

He has already addressed his wrist issue as something that might have to be dealt with in the offseason. He didn’t specifically mention surgery but that might be what he is referring to here:

https://youtu.be/dn20MGWMJlo

Around 0:25

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - burekemde - 04-21-2021

KP is a good player. I think what hinders him in becoming a great, dominant player, is the inability to adjust to opponents strategy. He is not out there playing a chess game, as you can tell about other players, Luka being one. KP can shoot the three well, in the post sometimes, and that's it. There is not much variety in his game. He can be quiet dominant, but he can be shut down given the right strategy, and he does not have the ability to adjust, and destroy you in multiple ways. That being said, when the defense doesn't adjust, and he is playing well, he is a huge factor. His biggest impact however, is when he plays well on defense, and protects the rim. Sometimes this can be the most important impact for this team performing well. I think his playing style, sometimes hinders chemistry to unfold at offense, as he is mechanical and not fluid and adaptable in his game. It can sometimes stall the flow of the offense. He is not setting good screens and distributing the ball well, and that has some negative impact on the offensive flow.
IMO he should work on his inside game and strentgh. This is his only path to a truly dominant player. If he could hold his own inside, he has the frame and skills to dominate inside. This way, the defenses could not adjust to him at all.

Unfortunately, I dont see him develop the inside game and becoming that player, he has potential for. His mentality is leaning more to the outside and making the 3, rather than inside and find a way to dominate there. It might be to protect his body, or simply the style of play he prefers more.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 04-21-2021

^Good post except I would never say a talented 25 yo player cannot do anything.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 04-21-2021

KP's spent a lot of time rehabbing so when he is on the court, he has to rely on what he knows.  He can't use games to develop a post game without giving away those possessions.  He needs a healthy offseason or two to practice the footwork so that it becomes second nature.  I wouldn't put the label on him that he can't develop as he hasn't had a ton of opportunity to do so.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardsShowerVoice - 04-21-2021

I think his post game has improved, but it's not the Hakeem esque back to the basket on the block old school post game that people are familiar with. 

To  me, the biggest weakness is the inability to get to the line.   It's just a killer when you have 7'3" player who handle s the ball a lot in your offense who is only getting to the line 3 attempts a game.    While other high level 7 footers like Joel Embiid are getting to the line 12 times a game.     And I don't think KP will ever be Embiid, but that gulf is hard to square away.   It should be at least hovering around the 5-6 attempts per game where KAT is.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 04-21-2021

(04-21-2021, 02:40 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I think his post game has improved, but it's not the Hakeem esque back to the basket on the block old school post game that people are familiar with. 

To  me, the biggest weakness is the inability to get to the line.   It's just a killer when you have 7'3" player who handle s the ball a lot in your offense who is only getting to the line 3 attempts a game.    While other high level 7 footers like Joel Embiid are getting to the line 12 times a game.     And I don't think KP will ever be Embiid, but that gulf is hard to square away.   It should be at least hovering around the 5-6 attempts per game where KAT is.

Well, if he adds some more traditional post moves to his arsenal, more free throw trips should come.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - michaeltex - 04-21-2021

(04-20-2021, 03:24 PM)JamesConway Wrote: He has already addressed his wrist issue as something that might have to be dealt with in the offseason. He didn’t specifically mention surgery but that might be what he is referring to here:

https://youtu.be/dn20MGWMJlo

Around 0:25

Is this this years injury he'll spend all summer rehabbing and come to camp rusty and try to work his way back during the season...again?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 04-22-2021

https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/1385453561413181445

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 04-22-2021

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1385452729372274688

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 04-23-2021

(04-22-2021, 11:53 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1385452729372274688

This is a good omen. Means that KP doesn't feel that its that bad.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Scott41theMavs - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 12:12 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: This is a good omen. Means that KP doesn't feel that its that bad.

Maybe Dirk bequeathed him his rubberband ankles.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 04-23-2021

I really hope KP will be ready for the second game. None of the other Mavs bigs is capable offensively, to say it politely. You can survive with one guy who is limited to PnR or three pointers, but not with two of them. The alternative Mavs often use is to go small. But Lakers are big - if you put DFS on Davis is like child is guarding him. He has absolutely no chance.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Fuerza1 - 04-23-2021

So, why would Luka be mad at KP for getting hurt in the playoffs? It's not like he did it on purpose. If what Cubes is spitting is actually true, Luka might be a sociopath. I guess greatness comes at a cost.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Scott41theMavs - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 03:02 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: So, why would Luka be mad at KP for getting hurt in the playoffs? It's not like he did it on purpose. If what Cubes is spitting is actually true, Luka might be a sociopath. I guess greatness comes at a cost.

It wasn't an actual quote.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 03:02 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: So, why would Luka be mad at KP for getting hurt in the playoffs? It's not like he did it on purpose. If what Cubes is spitting is actually true, Luka might be a sociopath. I guess greatness comes at a cost.

Rumor has it that KP is a serial wedgie giver.  Luka limps around a lot on the court but it isn't because of his ankles or knees.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 03:19 PM)cow Wrote: Rumor has it that KP is a serial wedgie giver.  Luka limps around a lot on the court but it isn't because of his ankles or knees.

I heard a very different version of the story. Luka demanded a trade for Boban as he is the only guy bigger than KP. Now they are bullying him all the time. Locking him in the lockerroom, sinking head first in the toilet and similar. I heard Cuban often participates as he finds it funny.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 03:25 PM)omahen Wrote: I heard a very different version of the story. Luka demanded a trade for Boban as he is the only guy bigger than KP. Now they are bullying him all the time. Locking him in the lockerroom, sinking head first in the toilet and similar. I heard Cuban often participates as he finds it funny.

I could see KP being pretty upset about a swirlie.  His hair is usually immaculate.

(04-23-2021, 03:28 PM)cow Wrote: swirlie

I knew there had to be a word for that Smile 

Sure he was upset. I heard KP had a deal for Bertans lined up at TDL. Washington was basically giving him away as they overpaid him. They offered Bertans, Bonga, 2022 second round pick and the right for a free raid of the Capitol for half an hour - security camera switched off and everything. Luka blocked the trade as he was too affraid of the Latvian connection.