MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardShowerVoice - 04-08-2021

I imagine if KP has any real differences/beefs with anyone with the Mavs, it is with Carlisle and not Luka.   It's one thing to be Chris Bosch and have to take a backseat to a couple of first ballot Hall of Famers like Dwayne Wade and LeBron, but KP is having to sit on the bench or take a backseat in the offense for replacement level players at the end of games even when KP is playing well (in last night's case, the only one on the team playing well).   I doubt that was the sales pitch that Cubes made to him when he sold him on resigning here for the max.  

And also, I dont know where this idea got started that star players have to be best bros on and off the court to get the job done.  I mean, the relationships between guys like Pippen/Jordon and Bird/McHale were legendarily chilly.   It's a professional workplace, like any other environment.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 01:18 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: I imagine if KP has any real differences/beefs with anyone with the Mavs, it is with Carlisle and not Luka.   It's one thing to be Chris Bosch and have to take a backseat to a couple of first ballot Hall of Famers like Dwayne Wade and LeBron, but KP is having to sit on the bench or take a backseat in the offense for replacement level players at the end of games even when KP is playing well (in last night's case, the only one on the team playing well).   I doubt that was the sales pitch that Cubes made to him when he sold him on resigning here for the max.  

Mavs made big runs with KP on the bench. The comeback in the 4th happened with KP on the bench. That´s obviously not all on KP but it´s not like the team is performing any worse without him.
I get that he is frustrated and thinks of himself as a "star" player but I don´t think RC cares. The coach is trying to win games. With or without KP. This is not a 1a/1b kind of situation. Luka is the undisputed best player on the team and KP is having a mediocre season (especially on defense, main reason why RC benches him).

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 12:14 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: The other trade I like probably the best would be a Collins + something else package for KP.
Collins and Turner, make it so...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 01:28 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs made big runs with KP on the bench. The comeback in the 4th happened with KP on the bench. That´s obviously not all on KP but it´s not like the team is performing any worse without him.
I get that he is frustrated and thinks of himself as a "star" player but I don´t think RC cares. The coach is trying to win games. With or without KP. This is not a 1a/1b kind of situation. Luka is the undisputed best player on the team and KP is having a mediocre season (especially on defense, main reason why RC benches him).

Bless you. 

Question: when did we decide that 23 points on 19 shots was a good game, let alone good enough to make us overlook a petty bad defensive effort and making Kelly Olynyk look like Dennis Rodman?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 04-08-2021

No one is making the point they need to be best bros off the court. 

The problem is their on court chemistry. It’s not what we hoped. You would think a unicorn with Luka should be he most unstoppable pick and roll combo in the league.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 01:37 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: No one is making the point they need to be best bros off the court. 

The problem is their on court chemistry

AMEN.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 01:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Question: when did we decide that 23 points on 19 shots was a good game, let alone good enough to make us overlook a petty bad defensive effort and making Kelly Olynyk look like Dennis Rodman?

You must have missed it. Actually it was Melli who was responsible for Olynyk looking like Moses Malone. KP had great "individual" stats so he couldn't have been the problem last night. Sorry if you were out of the loop, but I am glad to bring you up to speed.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 01:49 PM)Kammrath Wrote: You must have missed it. Actually it was Melli who was responsible for Olynyk looking like Moses Malone. KP had great "individual" stats so he couldn't have been the problem last night. Sorry if you were out of the loop, but I am glad to bring you up to speed.

1)  Clap, clap, clap --- You beat me to it.  Just like FREAKIN Kirk over a MMB who thinks that was KP guarding Olynk.  KP was guarding Wood...  Wood had 22/10 and KP had 23/12 -- while Melli had?  yeah, I know.

2)  To KL above --- 23 points on 10-19 is  FREAKIN' good game when the rest of the team is performing way worse.  How is 9-26 a better option?  (and it was even worse, because Luka went 2-3 on wide open layups when the game was out of hand and Houston was letting people run at the basket). 

3)  And the "we can't do worse" crap needs to go.  It selectively ignores that KP's 23/12 were a part of that game last night and if you put Powell in his place to replace that production and put up 19 shots -- which wasn't coming from anyone else -- it would have been a much bigger loss.

Face it...the problem is always going to be KP, and it doesn't matter what the truth is or what actually is the problem.  If we trade KP, then who will we blame?

The facts are the Luka, as wonderful as he is and HE IS, will NOT win a championship by himself.  KP isn't another win where you can take turns ala Leonard and George...

If KP is going to be maximized, Luka, the PG, will determine how well that happens, because there is no offensive big man in history that EVER was maximized offensively without an offensive system and a PG that set him up to do so.  

Joel Embiid doesn't bring the ball up the court.  He needs to offense to set him up.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 12:31 PM)cow Wrote: I've been thinking about an unhappy for unhappy scenario centered around Siakam and KP.  

The only thing is that Siakam is a much worse player than KP. Ideally he'd fit perfect next to Luka/KP, but a Luka/Pascal pairing is much worse in my eyes.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 01:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Question: when did we decide that 23 points on 19 shots was a good game, let alone good enough to make us overlook a petty bad defensive effort and making Kelly Olynyk look like Dennis Rodman?

I mean 23 points on 19 shots is a pretty good game. 53% from the floor overall. Thats well above average for most players on any given night. 

I don't see why we're diminishing the only player that remotely had a good game for us last night.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 02:31 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I mean 23 points on 19 shots is a pretty good game. 53% from the floor overall. Thats well above average for most players on any given night. 

I don't see why we're diminishing the only player that remotely had a good game for us last night.

Because Luka is the "good son" that no one can blame, so they need to blame KP...there you go.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardShowerVoice - 04-08-2021

Quote:Face it...the problem is always going to be KP, and it doesn't matter what the truth is or what actually is the problem.  If we trade KP, then who will we blame?

KP is rapidly becoming the new Wes Matthews/Harrison Barnes.   Luka plays incredibly sloppy all night, 3 of our 5 starters go a combined 12 points in 89 minutes  .. and the first finger gets pointed at KP.  

(04-08-2021, 03:26 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Because Luka is the "good son" that no one can blame, so they need to blame KP...there you go.

I think what also factors into it is KP is a unique and non-traditional player for his position .... where as guys like DoDo and Richardson are (bad versions of) traditional familiar types of players.  So you might be losing games with DoDo and Richardson as starters, but at least youre losing in "acceptable" ways.

(04-08-2021, 03:40 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: I think what also factors into it is KP is a unique and non-traditional player for his position .... where as guys like DoDo and Richardson are (bad versions of) traditional familiar types of players.  So you might be losing games with DoDo and Richardson as starters, but at least youre losing in "acceptable" ways.

I agree...And I think it's fair to say that KP sometimes comes off arrogant and irritating.

I think KP is just an easy target and fans vault from "he does nothing" to "why doesn't he do everything" whenever it suits their pre-determined narrative.

And by the way, I'm not trying to bag on Luka either.  If it was either KP or Luka, I'm going Luka all day long...He is a good guy, but he is going to have to learn that to lead a team, you may have to lead people you don't like or who are irritating or irrational sometimes.  Rarely do you ever have a team or an organization without some hard to manage people in it.   KP is his right now...and part of that is realizing that KP is a useful player, but he's only going to be as useful as Luka decides for him to be.

There is a reason that you have the sentiment that you "have to let the big dog eat" or you "have to reward the big man", and talented offensive players want their shots...NONE of this is some new phenomena only to KP and it's not only to "bad" players or "malcontents"...If Luka wasn't getting his shots, he would handle it differently (I didn't say better), but he wouldn't like it.

There also has never been a big man that didn't depend on the PG and the offensive scheme to get shots.  Luka just takes them when he wants them, but KP can't do that.  If we want someone to just let them take turns, we need to trade KP for someone like Bradley Beal and then he and LUka can just take turns.

(04-08-2021, 03:52 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: I agree...And I think it's fair to say that KP sometimes comes off arrogant and irritating.

I think KP is just an easy target and fans vault from "he does nothing" to "why doesn't he do everything" whenever it suits their pre-determined narrative.

And by the way, I'm not trying to bag on Luka either.  If it was either KP or Luka, I'm going Luka all day long...He is a good guy, but he is going to have to learn that to lead a team, you may have to lead people you don't like or who are irritating or irrational sometimes.  Rarely do you ever have a team or an organization without some hard to manage people in it.   KP is his right now...and part of that is realizing that KP is a useful player, but he's only going to be as useful as Luka decides for him to be.

There is a reason that you have the sentiment that you "have to let the big dog eat" or you "have to reward the big man", and talented offensive players want their shots...NONE of this is some new phenomena only to KP and it's not only to "bad" players or "malcontents"...If Luka wasn't getting his shots, he would handle it differently (I didn't say better), but he wouldn't like it.

There also has never been a big man that didn't depend on the PG and the offensive scheme to get shots.  Luka just takes them when he wants them, but KP can't do that.  If we want someone to just let them take turns, we need to trade KP for someone like Bradley Beal and then he and LUka can just take turns.

Also, I don't think Luka is necessarily an easy guy to play with, even though he is a great passer, for the same reason guys like Kevin Love and Chris Bosch had trouble adapting their games to LeBron even though LeBron is the greatest point forward in the history of the game.   He's an extremely ball dominant player and not a traditional table setting point guard.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 01:17 PM)DaRiv Wrote: I'm seeing what a lot of you are seeing.  Terrible chemistry between KP and Luka.  During the game and post-game.  To me, the tell-tale sign is Luka all but force-feeding Melli the ball for him to shoot.  But ignoring KP to the point that KP is wailing his arms at the top of the key when he is wide open. 

This times a million.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 03:31 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: KP is rapidly becoming the new Wes Matthews/Harrison Barnes.   Luka plays incredibly sloppy all night, 3 of our 5 starters go a combined 12 points in 89 minutes  .. and the first finger gets pointed at KP.  

I think most uf is acknowledged that Luka had a terrible game but we still have to figure out why the team was blown out with KP on the floor. The Mavs offense was really bad all game long but without KP the Mavs could at least stop the Rockets.
Mavs enter the 4th quarter down 11. When KP comes back they are down 4. Only allowed 9pts in more than 5 minutes. In the remaining 6:52 the Rockets score 18pts. KP isn´t touching the ball on offense (that´s also on Luka, Brunson and RC) and continues to be a liablity on defense (that´s the main reason why RC tends to bench him).
KP once again finishes a game with the worst +/-. This isn´t about individual talent. KP is the unicorn for a reason. This is about fit and scheme.
The Mavs are a better team when they play a switch heavy defense. That´s not possible with KP. The Mavs have an all time great ballhandler that needs spacing/shooting and bigs that can screen/roll-pop. KP is one of the worst screeners I have ever seen. He also loves to post up and asks for iso/post up touches (ranks 10th in the league, ahead of Sabonis, Valanciunas).
I would love to find a system that maximizes both of their talents but 1 1/2 seasons into the KP/Doncic experiment we have zero progress. No two-man game and growing concerns about their relationship. If it´s not possible to maximize both we have to choose and I don´t think anyone would pick KP over Luka.

(04-08-2021, 04:05 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think most uf is acknowledged that Luka had a terrible game but we still have to figure out why the team was blown out with KP on the floor. The Mavs offense was really bad all game long but without KP the Mavs could at least stop the Rockets.
Mavs enter the 4th quarter down 11. When KP comes back they are down 4. Only allowed 9pts in more than 5 minutes. In the remaining 6:52 the Rockets score 18pts. KP isn´t touching the ball on offense (that´s also on Luka, Brunson and RC) and continues to be a liablity on defense (that´s the main reason why RC tends to bench him).
KP once again finishes a game with the worst +/-. This isn´t about individual talent. KP is the unicorn for a reason. This is about fit and scheme.
The Mavs are a better team when they play a switch heavy defense. That´s not possible with KP. The Mavs have an all time great ballhandler that needs spacing/shooting and bigs that can screen/roll-pop. KP is one of the worst screeners I have ever seen. He also loves to post up and asks for iso/post up touches (ranks 10th in the league, ahead of Sabonis, Valanciunas).
I would love to find a system that maximizes both of their talents but 1 1/2 seasons into the KP/Doncic experiment we have zero progress. No two-man game and growing concerns about their relationship. If it´s not possible to maximize both we have to choose and I don´t think anyone would pick KP over Luka.

Great post.

[Image: d39aa704b2eb85e36ea7b93f09c83d525f5e9af9.gif]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 04-08-2021

I agree. I hope we just don't get 70 cents on the dollar in a KP trade if it happens. He is a good player and under contract so I don't want spare parts for him.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 04:05 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs enter the 4th quarter down 11. When KP comes back they are down 4. Only allowed 9pts in more than 5 minutes.

I think this stretch was more about Rockets reserves being bad than Mavs lineup being so much better without KP. I think Mavs actually played good defense in the first half, with the exception of PnR drop coverage. They were forced (or just training time?) to switch to zone defense because of that.

(04-08-2021, 04:05 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The Mavs are a better team when they play a switch heavy defense. That´s not possible with KP.

He played good defense lately, but his defense yesterday was bad again. Mavs were killed by Wall-Wood PnR. There was this one time KP gave Wall like 3 meters of space and Wall still blew by him for a layup. On the other side, as you said, Luka - KP PnR didn't produce anything as Houston was just switching everything. 

Still, I think Mavs played excellent basketball lately, once KP stopped worrying about his shots and forcing stuff. Everyone is dissapointed by this terrible loss, but I still have hope Mavs pull it together in the playoffs. I think this game is more about not being 100 % mentally than as a reference of things being fundamentally wrong. It will be certainly interesting to see how they respond tonight.