MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardShowerVoice - 04-01-2021

Going ultra small is high risk/high reward/high variance approach that teams do when they're desperate (ie down 19 in the 4th quarter).  A bit like going no huddle and flinging it around in the NFL when you're in catch up mode.    It often works until the variance catches up, and then it doesnt ... which is why teams don't do it all the time.   I'm not freaking out over this.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 08:44 AM)fifteenth Wrote: It was the things he did that got people to stop listening to him that was the problem

One can argue that what happened to Carlisle in DET was also because of the things he did to people that got them to stop listening to him in the locker room.

I don't think it's a coincidence that after Carlisle got replaced, DET went on and won a championship the very next season. Albeit one where they weren't very favored at any point. 

Look, Carlisle is a fantastic overall coach. It's evident he's in the upper echelon based on his entire resume. But is he the right coach for Luka/KP?  That I'm not so convinced of at this point.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - fifteenth - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 09:00 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: One can argue that what happened to Carlisle in DET was also because of the things he did to people that got them to stop listening to him in the locker room.

I don't think it's a coincidence that after Carlisle got replaced, DET went on and won a championship the very next season. Albeit one where they weren't very favored at any point. 

Look, Carlisle is a fantastic overall coach. It's evident he's in the upper echelon based on his entire resume. But is he the right coach for Luka/KP?  That I'm not so convinced of at this point.

I was just talking about the lil General. Your comments about Rick and DET don't sound like the story I remember, but I'd have to go back and read stuff to refresh my memory, which I'm probably not going to do. Regarding whether Rick is the right coach, I'd rather wait and see what actually happens with the season. Reaslistically, if he doesn't have a contract for as long as he wants it, next season is probably the key season for judging whether he's doing right.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 07:49 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Man, you are helllbent on always being right. Hack-a-Shaq was a later in his career development to handle Shaq throughout, and especially at the end of, the games (including the last 2 minutes). You know I'm right (just throwing it back at you). Shaq was traded around and a journeyman later in his career because of it (I'm right, you're wrong...so childish).

More aggression in this post than Luka had in the 4th quarter.

And you aren't?  You are wrong.  I let a lot of stuff go on this board and don't NEARLY post about a lot of things, because unlike you, everyone doesn't need my opinion on everything.  If you can't handle it, then just block me, mute me, or ignore me...but I'm not backing down when I'm right and your snark doesn't make you right.

The point I answered was "If you cannot play your 2nd best player in ANY clutch scenario (minus foul trouble or a single specific play) then he needs to be traded or the coach needs to be fired. "

And I proved quickly that this wasn't a standard held for every max player, and I could go on with other players as examples, and usually they are big men, and I could go on about how the game is officiated differently, spacing is VASTLY different with the onset of the drive and kick game and the deep three...on and on.

You want to make your comment and leave me out of it, not quoting me, knock yourself out, but if you are going to quote me and debate me, you aren't going to get what you really want ("Oh, It's Go Time, you're so right, and I'm a fool, let me bow to your superior point and intellect"), because...you...are...wrong.  You are just mad because you thought you'd call me out and straighten me out and get you some praise and it didn't happen.  It's a message board, man.  Don't put so much of yourself on the line on a sports opinion and you might not have to hang on like a dog with his last bone.

Deal with it.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - fifteenth - 04-01-2021

OK, Bama. This is what I tell my 4 and 6 year olds. You each get to tell each other "no", "not true", "I think that's wrong", one time. Once you've both said it, you can't say it anymore. 

Bama said it once. IGT said it once. Now you gotta move one.

[Image: giphy.gif]

the gif was the best I could do....couldn't find "two cute kids saying yes sir" gif

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 09:34 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: The point I answered was "If you cannot play your 2nd best player in ANY clutch scenario (minus foul trouble or a single specific play) then he needs to be traded or the coach needs to be fired. "
Shaq was traded from the Lakers not long after the hack-a-Shaq strategy came out. Shortly after, he became a journeyman because it was hard to play him.

I myself don't think the quoted statement is all that controversial. KP is a max guy and second best player on the team. I agree that if the coach won't play him and figure out a way to utilize him at the end of games, either KP needs to be traded or RC needs to be replaced with a coach that can figure it out.

Honestly, I'm fine with not throwing barbs out, I've not felt the need for a long time. What I was receiving from you was what I was dishing out. Not mad at all.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardShowerVoice - 04-01-2021

Quite a rollercoaster for KP.  He goes from franchise cornerstone to sworn enemy of Luka in a heated blood fued to completely washed up to trade fodder for pennies on the dollar to getting back to unicorn status  to completely unplayable in the 4th quarter..... just depending on what happens in the previous 12 hour window.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mapka - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 11:50 AM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Quite a rollercoaster for KP.  He goes from franchise cornerstone to sworn enemy of Luka in a heated blood fued to completely washed up to trade fodder for pennies on the dollar to getting back to unicorn status  to completely unplayable in the 4th quarter..... just depending on what happens in the previous 12 hour window.

Is there a chance Rick opens the press conference with "April, April"?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 04-01-2021

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1377697600703504387

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 02:07 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1377697600703504387

Not intending to come down on the side of not playing KP in that situation last night, but I will say that decisions like that one would probably be easier to make in his favor if he actually had an inside game that punishes smaller players. I assume it would've been Tatum guarding him inside, and I have absolutely no faith in KP's ability to produce clutch baskets going against Tatum 1-on-1. 

And then, if missed shots had led to KP having to guard Tatum sometimes at the other end? Yikes. 

This isn't intended to slight KP, either, as I thought his first half was EXCELLENT, and Stevens probably went small as a way to neutralize KP at the Mavs' defensive end. He can't defend the paint if he's at the 3-point line, face guarding a much smaller, faster player. 

What the Mavs did last night instead of playing KP wasn't exactly a great solution, so I hope both he and Carlisle are working together to be more prepared to counter the small ball strategy next time.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 02:15 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: What the Mavs did last night instead of playing KP wasn't exactly a great solution, so I hope both he and Carlisle are working together to be more prepared to counter the small ball strategy next time.

The thing is, I felt KP abused a small on him quite well against BOS. Numerous times he either drew a foul or made a shot. It was a noted change by how aggressive he was in getting post position and didn't let them bully him around.

Sure there were times where he got the ball poked away or he missed the bunny, but no player is perfect every time. 

I agree that KP historically has been abused by smaller defenders. But to not play him because you're afraid of him missing down low with a small on him on a night where he wasn't doing that at all wasn't a smart decision. At least, I think it was better than what RC chose to do.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 04-01-2021

Rick and Luka had a case of the dumb brains in the 4th quarter.  Playing matchups is all well and good but with a big lead, you should be taking the position of strength and dictating the matchup, not the other way around.  The strategy Rick put into place didn't work, in fact the opposite happened and yet KP stayed on the bench.  KP played really well last night and was basically treated how coaches used to treat DAJ/Shaq when hack-a-Shaq was being implemented.  Luka did his part in the debacle by trying to dribble out the clock for the last 4 minutes.  We are just fortunate he hit another ridiculous three and that the Celtics collectively couldn't hit sand if they fell off a camel.  

If I were KP, I'd be pretty upset.  Why spend all those assets to bring him here and then give him a max contract if this is how we are going to use him?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - michaeltex - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 08:44 AM)fifteenth Wrote: It was the things he did that got people to stop listening to him that was the problem

I was going to say 16th seeded GSW got him fired, but he stuck around for a season after that fiasco.

It seems like he helped Dirk become better as a posting, back-to-the-basket offensive threat. But B2B 1st round exits got him tossed.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 02:07 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1377697600703504387

Hm. Townsend has a bit different version of what KP said.

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1377696850946457605?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1377696850946457605%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - MFFL - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 04:11 PM)omahen Wrote: Hm. Townsend has a bit different version of what KP said.

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1377696850946457605?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1377696850946457605%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

If the reporter doesn't use quotation marks then he is paraphrasing a comment

I tend not to trust those comments

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Time Machine Dirk - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 02:26 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I agree that KP historically has been abused by smaller defenders. But to not play him because you're afraid of him missing down low with a small on him on a night where he wasn't doing that at all wasn't a smart decision. At least, I think it was better than what RC chose to do.

Has there ever been a case that something hasn't been a smart decision and has been a "Smart" Wink decision at the same time? Big Grin

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 04-01-2021

Rick thinks sitting our highest paid player is a good strategy.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 04-01-2021

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1377446381070209025

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 04-01-2021

Honestly, I understand the decision and have lobbied in this thread that it's not a big deal.

My personal preference, as it was in 2007 in the playoffs...do NOT gear down to your opponent.  

I thought they should have played Damp then and worked GS...I thought they should have put KP in and worked the mismatch there...

BUT....

...TO DO THAT...

...you HAVE to make the entry pass on time, on target and give KP the best chance for success, because you know this isn't his natural bent, but for Pete's sake...if you will hunt DFS a mismatch in the post against Kemba, why on God's green Earth can't you work a good play to get KP one.

But what happens, and you go watch.  He pins a guard on the switch, and they have to fake a 3 and pass at least once, before and if, they get him the ball at all.

If Luka would look to pass it to KP in the post as quick as he tries to hit Maxi or Richardson with an impressive pass, we'd see that work a whole lot better.

My opinion on KP is that he breaks to the post when a guard is trying to drive and spoils the drive, almost...ALMOST...like he's trying to force the pass into him...and they don't like passing it in to him.

It's not his thing...but if that's how htey are going to play him, he had better make it his thing and that's going to take REPS in game to get it there, BEFORE the playoffs...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 04-08-2021

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1379987284573884416