MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 03-24-2021

Ya I don't think the Wiz have stuff the Mavs want honestly outside of Beal which the Wiz wouldn't do. The Wiz would have to give up a bunch of picks and pick swaps to even be in the convo + their best young players but I don't think it's enough to even be worth consideration. The only caveat is if this summer the Mavs find a guy they like better with cap space and thus KP is expendable but I don't see that either.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 03-24-2021

One hypothetical fake trade, would you do Collins + Wiseman for KP where he heads the GSW and Atlanta gets filler + the Minney pick? You would have to be sure that Collins and Wiseman would make a good tandem.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 02:51 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: One hypothetical fake trade, would you do Collins + Wiseman for KP where he heads the GSW and Atlanta gets filler + the Minney pick? You would have to be sure that Collins and Wiseman would make a good tandem.

No brainer. Collins has been the better player this season and could easily replace KP in the Mavs current system. Wiseman is the typical low floor/super high ceiling pick. If he ever figures out how to use his athleticism and length he is going to be a two-way star. That´s worth a gamble.
Nice pipe dream...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavsfan12 - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 02:51 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: One hypothetical fake trade, would you do Collins + Wiseman for KP where he heads the GSW and Atlanta gets filler + the Minney pick? You would have to be sure that Collins and Wiseman would make a good tandem.

I like KP, but this would be a great return for him.  I'd say yes right away for this.

The trouble with replacing KP is you want a 5 that can defend and score, and there just aren't many of those guys that are even close to available. Even if you want to lean into a guy that is more defensive oriented with less scoring (Jarrett Allen-type?) I can't really think of many names there either. 

Looking at some contenders:
- Lakers have AD who plays center in crunch time. He and LeB ron + any collection of role guys is very hard to beat.
- Nets don't really have a center but will try to overwhelm you with offense
- 76ers have Embiid who is a monster on both ends
- Nuggets have Jokic who is himself a unicorn
- Bucks have Lopez but Giannis is such a monster defensively he covers a lot of ground
- Jazz have Gobert who is all-NBA defense and really good at the traditional big man offense. I have doubts this will work in the playoffs.
- Heat have Bam who is the new prototype of what NBA teams will want. Great two way player.

I am not yet ready to put Suns or Clips in contention.

All that to say KP on paper gives you offense and defense. My hope is that he and the Mavs can figure it out bc I am skeptical we can get someone better than KP if he is traded away.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 03:44 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: The trouble with replacing KP is you want a 5 that can defend and score, and there just aren't many of those guys that are even close to available. Even if you want to lean into a guy that is more defensive oriented with less scoring (Jarrett Allen-type?) I can't really think of many names there either. 

Looking at some contenders:
- Lakers have AD who plays center in crunch time. He and LeB ron + any collection of role guys is very hard to beat.
- Nets don't really have a center but will try to overwhelm you with offense
- 76ers have Embiid who is a monster on both ends
- Nuggets have Jokic who is himself a unicorn
- Bucks have Lopez but Giannis is such a monster defensively he covers a lot of ground
- Jazz have Gobert who is all-NBA defense and really good at the traditional big man offense. I have doubts this will work in the playoffs.
- Heat have Bam who is the new prototype of what NBA teams will want. Great two way player.

I am not yet ready to put Suns or Clips in contention.

All that to say KP on paper gives you offense and defense. My hope is that he and the Mavs can figure it out bc I am skeptical we can get someone better than KP if he is traded away.
Turner is the right fit giving us money to spend at the other positions to guve more offense.

I keep saying this ab Turner. He is a darling here but then I am not sure GM's love him so much. Remember Ainge could have had him basically for free and was like nah I am good with Tristan Thompson.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 05:39 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I keep saying this ab Turner. He is a darling here but then I am not sure GM's love him so much. Remember Ainge could have had him basically for free and was like nah I am good with Tristan Thompson.

Ainge refuses to give up anything for players that could help his team contend right now. He loves his picks.

(03-24-2021, 05:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Ainge refuses to give up anything for players that could help his team contend right now. He loves his picks.

I think he's going to get AG. He has to get somebody.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Aussiebballer - 03-24-2021

Seems like Ainge has cost the Celtics a chance at multiple title runs by trying to WIN every trade.
Wasted a lot of pick values over the years. He has done some great work but may have wasted a lot of opportunities to improve his team by being greedy.

(03-24-2021, 06:05 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Seems like Ainge has cost the Celtics a chance at multiple title runs by trying to WIN every trade.
Wasted a lot of pick values over the years. He has done some great work but may have wasted a lot of opportunities to improve his team by being greedy.

Yes I agree. And everyone thought he was a genius before. He was saving all of his picks for a Giannis-like move. His team should be better than it is. I think not taking Turner for Hayward was dumb but maybe they will get a better player now for picks + that big trade exception.

(03-24-2021, 06:05 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Seems like Ainge has cost the Celtics a chance at multiple title runs by trying to WIN every trade.

All about the right balance. Mavs need a little bit more "Ainge". Celtics need a little bit more "Donnie".

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-24-2021

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1374909283670884355

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-29-2021

https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1376724842360279044

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-29-2021

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1376720608009060354

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Jym - 03-29-2021

going to be interesting to see how OKC handles all these picks
I feel like they should have already been trading and consolidating them into better picks and young talent

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 03-30-2021

(03-29-2021, 11:26 PM)Jym Wrote: going to be interesting to see how OKC handles all these picks
I feel like they should have already been trading and consolidating them into better picks and young talent

For sure they will do that at some point. One thing that having so many picks does its let you move up and down to get the guy you want so there's that. Think of where the Mavs would be if they had more ammo to move up for Haliburton who they were going hard after in the draft. So it's not necessarily that OKC will cash those in on like Bradley Beal or some vet, it could just be that they are able to leverage picks to get to the spots in the draft where they can get their guy each year.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 03-30-2021

(03-29-2021, 09:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1376720608009060354

KP looking really good including defensively. I think if he doesn't get injured we are in good shape.

It's hard for me to picture why he'd be unhappy enough to demand a trade any time soon. I mean ya maybe he'd like a couple more touches a game but if that's really all he needs I imagine the Mavs brass could make that happens. As things stand he still is 20 ppg so its not like a situation where he's only getting enough looks to get 15 points a game or something. He is still productive with the looks that he is getting.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - michaeltex - 03-30-2021

KP looks like he's focusing more on playing and contributing, not as much worried about the physical aspects. The drive and slam had me holding my breath, but he didn't seem worried and aggressively attacked the rim.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 03-30-2021

(03-30-2021, 11:19 AM)michaeltex Wrote: KP looks like he's focusing more on playing and contributing, not as much worried about the physical aspects. The drive and slam had me holding my breath, but he didn't seem worried and aggressively attacked the rim.

I agree 100%. He is playing with a bit more courage out there. Seems like he's more confident in his body than he was a few weeks back. I hope that's a good thing, and not a one-way ticket back to the operating table.