MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 07:08 AM)Kammrath Wrote: This season when KP plays the Mavs are 3.2 pts worse (8.8 pts worse defensively and 5.6 pts better offensively).

Couldn't this be heavily weighed down by the COVID stretch where the Mavs obviously were playing terrible?

(03-23-2021, 07:08 AM)Kammrath Wrote: But even if all my theories are wrong (and they might be), the FACTS are that the team has not been better with KP and he has not been "great for the team" from a winning standpoint.

I don't get how you can say that when the Mavs have been 14-6 in their last 20 games, which has coincided with KP's bounceback. It has also coincided with the Mavs getting back their starting lineup, and I don't think the sudden turnaround is all because KP is getting back in the groove. But the fact is the Mavs are better when KP plays. 

Like Bobby Karalla stated, the Mavs are 41-29 when Luka and KP play together in the regular season and have a >116 offensive points per 100 possessions. That's elite. Those are the facts.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 10:34 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't get how you can say that

Because again, even over the last 15 games the Mavs have been only +0.3 better with KP than without (and 9.7 pts WORSE on D). That is not "great for the team." Look, it is "great" that he hasn't been hurting the overall performance like he was, but that doesn't mean he is giving the impact you hope from a MAX contract second star.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - bin610 - 03-23-2021

Without even looking at stats, just watching the games, it has been pretty obvious to me that KP is having problems playing within the team on both offense and defense. I'm hoping that more games will help him become more comfortable somehow.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - vfromlmf - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 10:34 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: the Mavs are 41-29 when Luka and KP play together

FYI that's only a 49 win pace. 

Good but Mavs won 50 games or more 11 consecutive seasons with Dirk.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 11:29 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: FYI that's only a 49 win pace. 

Good but Mavs won 50 games or more 11 consecutive seasons with Dirk.

Correct. Obviously that win% is being pulled down by a lot of factors. I mean 6 of those losses came during the COVID issues just this year. 

Removing those because of extenuating circumstances puts them at a 53 win pace.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 03-23-2021

KP looked good defensively the other night from my perspective. Offensively the biggest thing I noticed was him passing the ball pretty effectively to the tune of 4 assists. When he is trying to pass he usually does a pretty good job. I do think KP struggles to pass against better defensive teams (which of course Portland is not). He still seems like a more awkward fit in this offense than you would think he would be on paper. Luka was draining so many shots that KP didn't get a lot of touches but I liked what he was doing defensively at least.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 08:26 AM)MFFL Wrote: But will Luka share the ball with ANY star if this is the case?

It's a valid question and Luka does share some blame in this situation, but it's not something that can be answered until we see him with another star.  To Luka's benefit, passing the ball to KP when he's covered more often that not doesn't lead to something productive.  If your second star was more of a ball handler/shot creation type, at least that would be an easy outlet for when Luka gets doubled.  If there is ball sharing issues in version 2.0 of the Luka lead Mavericks, that's a bridge to cross once you get there.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 04:41 PM)cow Wrote: It's a valid question and Luka does share some blame in this situation, but it's not something that can be answered until we see him with another star.  To Luka's benefit, passing the ball to KP when he's covered more often that not doesn't lead to something productive.  If your second star was more of a ball handler/shot creation type, at least that would be an easy outlet for when Luka gets doubled.  If there is ball sharing issues in version 2.0 of the Luka lead Mavericks, that's a bridge to cross once you get there.

I also second this being a valid question. I can see why a guy like Collins would have a strong appeal to MBT bc he doesn't need to be high usage to be effective.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 05:00 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I also second this being a valid question. I can see why a guy like Collins would have a strong appeal to MBT bc he doesn't need to be high usage to be effective.
Does he not? What is the issue he has with Trae then?

(03-23-2021, 07:32 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Does he not? What is the issue he has with Trae then?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2925867-report-hawks-john-collins-has-several-issues-with-trae-young-running-offense

So ya the offenses are pretty similar. It's possible Collins would have the same issue with Luka but given that the Mavs are talking to the Hawks I imagine that MBT knows from his agent that Collins would want to play here.

Sometimes its just personality issues too. Like is Trae annoying to play with? I have no idea. Also Luka is a superior player to Trae so there's that. Collins might see himself on the same level as Trae or close vs anyone who comes to Dallas knows Luka is the clear alpha. So ya I dunno but like I saif given that MBT is going hard after him they don't see it being an issue.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 03-23-2021

At this point, I firmly believe that if we do get another "star" player with KP that he would pretty quickly force his way out because he doesn't want to be put in the Bosh role.

(03-23-2021, 07:54 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: At this point, I firmly believe that if we do get another "star" player with KP that he would pretty quickly force his way out because he doesn't want to be put in the Bosh role.

Ya maybe. Well I don't have a lot of confidence that we can get another star anyway so KP can sleep comfortably.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-24-2021

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2937945-kristaps-porzingis-trade-rumors-teams-feeling-out-mavs-for-potential-deal

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/dallas-mavs-make-nba-trade-offer-for-evan-fournier-report-nba-deadline-tracker

Quote:Mavs owner Mark Cuban recently told DallasBasketball.com that the team has no intention of trading Kristaps Porzingis. But that hasn't stopped at least two teams from what a source termed "feeling out'' the concept of trading for KP, as one source puts it.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 03-24-2021

I bet this is just Mavs getting lowballed to see how desperate they are.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 09:50 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
Quote:Quote:

Mavs owner Mark Cuban recently told DallasBasketball.com that the team has no intention of trading Kristaps Porzingis. But that hasn't stopped at least two teams from what a source termed "feeling out'' the concept of trading for KP, as one source puts it.

2 teams? Could they perhaps be the Washington Wizards and Golden State Warriors? 

The fact that the BR article is rehashing most of the rumor article on KP that came out in February (also written by BR) makes me think there is absolutely nothing new on that end and they're just trying to generate clicks from an old rumor.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 10:05 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: The fact that the BR article is rehashing most of the rumor article on KP that came out in February (also written by BR) makes me think there is absolutely nothing new on that end and they're just trying to generate clicks from an old rumor.

That is a quote from Mike Fisher YESTERDAY, March 23.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 10:13 AM)Kammrath Wrote: That is a quote from Mike Fisher YESTERDAY, March 23.

I understand the quote might be from yesterday, but it's likely the quote is quoting information we've known since February.

(03-24-2021, 10:28 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I understand the quote might be from yesterday, but it's likely the quote is quoting information we've known since February.

I just fundamentally disagree unless Fisher is being 100% disingenuous in his reporting. 

Fisher is saying that despite Cuban shooting everything down about KP that he has learned from a source that at least two teams are feeling the Mavs out about their willingness to trade KP and what it might take to get him.

(03-24-2021, 10:31 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I just fundamentally disagree unless Fisher is being 100% disingenuous in his reporting. 

Fisher is saying that despite Cuban shooting everything down about KP that he has learned from a source that at least two teams are feeling the Mavs out about their willingness to trade KP and what it might take to get him.

I know what Fisher is saying. He isn't mentioning the teams for a reason. It's trade deadline season. Clicks=money. 

And just because he's rehashing this rumor, doesn't mean he's being disingenuous. For all we know there is continued interest from the Warriors and Wizards on KP, and they hope to trade for him despite the Mavs rebuffing them, and Fish is reporting that.

Even the language is too similar from the rumors in February: https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/rumor-nba-trade-rumors-washington-wizards-eyeing-move-kristaps-porzingis

Washington "eyeing a move on KP". The fact there are again 2 teams looking at KP, when there were 2 teams eyeing him back in February. Just saying a lot of random coincidences on top of the BR article posted 95% of it consists of the same information back from February.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 03-24-2021

2 teams called to ask about KP...Donnie listened cause he has to keep up relationships with his counterparts... he listened and said no we aren't looking to trade him right now...

BR finds out and runs with the story...Fish gets intel about these calls and decides since it happened he would get some clicks also...BR who is trying to be "Insiders" use that as further proof KP is being shopped...

Yes if LA offer AD for KP the Mavs would pull the trigger immediately...that aint happening though...