MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 05:37 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: I'm 100% correct in what I said and you can't refute it, but you want to be contrary, so you repackage and regroup to twist the stat to make it appear that I am wrong, BUT I'M NOT.

Why don't you cool down, take a deep breath and have another look at your chart? The percentage is not the share of all shots taken but the conversion rate. Most shots KP took were three pointers. That is a very simple fact, which you can see in your chart too. If you don't believe official NBA data.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-22-2021

Folks, lets relax. I know KP ignites our fandom passion because of his beautiful stroke and strong 7'3 frame.

Doesn't mean we need to kill each other over his greatness. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhhSFKgMhlo

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-22-2021

https://twitter.com/dallasnews/status/1374166008353718277

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 03-22-2021

I dont think his trade value is anything close to what most Mavs fans hope it is.  For that reason, there's no way I'd trade him right now.

With his max contract, I think he needs to play a full season without looking like a defensive liability.  I dunno if there's enough time left this year unless he shines in the playoffs (in which case the Mavs wont want to trade him).

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 08:28 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/dallasnews/status/1374166008353718277

While it's true that they have this particular struggle in common, that's where the similarities end for me. I mean, they're both great shooters I guess, but young Dirk's face up game - his two dribble pull-ups, his ability to floor the ball and drive with effective purpose, his ability to go coast to coast with the ball - was sooooo much more varied and lethal than KP's is right now. Those extra 3" work against him in terms of coordination, I think, relative to Dirk. 

Doesn't mean KP is destined to fall flat here, I'm just saying that we're doing him a disservice by comparing him to Dirk. On the flip side, young Dirk had no business playing center, probably even in today's game.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 03-22-2021

KP's form is nice but I wouldn't call him a great shooter.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 09:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: While it's true that they have this particular struggle in common, that's where the similarities end for me. I mean, they're both great shooters I guess, but young Dirk's face up game - his two dribble pull-ups, his ability to floor the ball and drive with effective purpose, his ability to go coast to coast with the ball - was sooooo much more varied and lethal than KP's is right now. Those extra 3" work against him in terms of coordination, I think, relative to Dirk. 

Doesn't mean KP is destined to fall flat here, I'm just saying that we're doing him a disservice by comparing him to Dirk. On the flip side, young Dirk had no business playing center, probably even in today's game.

The article isn't even mentioning KP's talent in relation to Dirk. Obviously Dirk's game blows KP out of the water. They're not in the same stratosphere. That's well understood.

All Townsend was saying was it isn't unheard of for undersized defenders to bother shooting bigs, no matter the talent. I mean the fact that Bowen/Jackson both had such great success in slowing down Dirk is proof in the pudding that that archetype counters stretch bigs more often than not. 

If anything, because Dirk was so great and had well documented issues with small guys mean we should give KP more rope since he isn't nearly as talented as Dirk.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 10:28 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The article isn't even mentioning KP's talent in relation to Dirk.

Agreed, and I'm not claiming it is. I'm using the article as a springboard to make an additional point that I find more interesting than the obvious one in the article, which is aimed at folks like my farther, who only watch every third game.

I'm happy to hear you make a distinction between KP and Dirk, and that you think it's "obvious." I agree, but I'm not confident it's obvious to everyone here, based on some of what I've read from people.

(03-22-2021, 10:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm happy to hear you make a distinction between KP and Dirk, and that you think it's "obvious." I agree, but I'm not confident it's obvious to everyone here, based on some of what I've read from people.

I mean Dirk by age 25 had already lead DAL to 4 playoff series wins and 4 50+ win seasons while averaging close to 25 a night during a time when the pace was super slow. They're not even close lol.

I sure hope that's obvious to others. I'm probably the most staunch KP defender here but I'm not delusional.

(03-22-2021, 10:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agreed, and I'm not claiming it is. I'm using the article as a springboard to make an additional point that I find more interesting than the obvious one in the article, which is aimed at folks like my farther, who only watch every third game

Fair. I didn't get that initially (something must be in my tea because I've been misreading your posts all day).  Anyways I'm glad we're both in agreement of Dirk's greatness. Maybe we'll be in agreement of KP's greatness soon  Smile

(03-22-2021, 10:45 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Fair. I didn't get that initially (something must be in my tea because I've been misreading your posts all day).  Anyways I'm glad we're both in agreement of Dirk's greatness. Maybe we'll be in agreement of KP's greatness soon  Smile

No worries at all. Everything about this message boarding is tricky, starting with people's reasoning for quoting a post, which can vary. I could have made it more clear.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - meistermatze - 03-23-2021

My take on KP, taken form my post in mavsluvrs gamethread (was about Luka getting doubled in the playoffs):

"That's why you need a second star at least, and that's where KP comes into play. I like him as a player and I was sure he had superstar potential whilst in New York. I still see it, but I don't think it is going to be in Dallas. He still feels like a foreign body in our offense - even if he's on fire (don't get me wrong, his play is okay for his standards right now and I see signs of improvement still) and drops 25+ it doesn't feel natural. It's him hitting difficult (and sometimes awkward feeling) shots. If he does, great, if he doesn't, he gets you 12, like last night.

He just does not seem involved, he just doesn't fit somehow and why is a mystery to me. On paper, he should complement Luka almost perfectly, yet he is not involved most of the time.

In another thread, Kamm and Killer were talking about how maybe Luka does not feel that he is good enough to justify more consideration in the offense. Luka will make the play and find the open man. You only change that it you have a better option per se (e.g. star player x) than player y being in a good position.

I think there is some truth to this and coaches seem to be unwilling to impose something else on Luka (like special treatment for KP). Their two-man-game got a little better over the last couple of weeks but they don't use it consistently as it looks out of sync.

I don't mean to be a downer but that's what I see and it's a huge red flag.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Paul Gasol - 03-23-2021

@"meistermatze" Yes, all of this. I think killer and kamm have been spot on with their observations about Porzingis lately, and I think you’ve summarised it nicely. Something just feels very forced about Porzingis play and his integration into the team.

I’m personally in the camp that think he believes he should be a number one option, and things should be primarily run through him, but... it’s just not realistic.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 04:35 AM)meistermatze Wrote: My take on KP, taken form my post in mavsluvrs gamethread (was about Luka getting doubled in the playoffs):

"That's why you need a second star at least, and that's where KP comes into play. I like him as a player and I was sure he had superstar potential whilst in New York. I still see it, but I don't think it is going to be in Dallas. He still feels like a foreign body in our offense - even if he's on fire (don't get me wrong, his play is okay for his standards right now and I see signs of improvement still) and drops 25+ it doesn't feel natural. It's him hitting difficult (and sometimes awkward feeling) shots. If he does, great, if he doesn't, he gets you 12, like last night.

He just does not seem involved, he just doesn't fit somehow and why is a mystery to me. On paper, he should complement Luka almost perfectly, yet he is not involved most of the time.

In another thread, Kamm and Killer were talking about how maybe Luka does not feel that he is good enough to justify more consideration in the offense. Luka will make the play and find the open man. You only change that it you have a better option per se (e.g. star player x) than player y being in a good position.

I think there is some truth to this and coaches seem to be unwilling to impose something else on Luka (like special treatment for KP). Their two-man-game got a little better over the last couple of weeks but they don't use it consistently as it looks out of sync.

I don't mean to be a downer but that's what I see and it's a huge red flag.

Let me first state that I think KP is an awesome player and I was super happy when Mavs traded for him. Still am. He basically has unlimited range which creates huge problems for opposing defense. However, he has a clear limitation that he can't really create for himself, let alone others. I don't think this is a consequence of Luka "ignoring" him or the Mavs system. It is just a simple fact and KP is the only one who can change that. 70 % of his shots are catch and shoots and his percentage is drastically dropping with number of dribbles he takes. Doncic for example only has 6.7 % of catch and shoot shots and his percentage is very stable even when he takes more dribbles. 

KP gets his touches and his shots, never mind small sample of last three games. No one can claim he doesn't. He is a clear number two guy. But, you can pass him the ball all you want and he will unfortunately have little effect unless he is left at least a bit open by opposing defense. His go to move is a post up and unfortunately he hasn't been really efficient. Offense can't miracoulously create open looks for KP, if defense is giving him attention.

All that being said - I am ok with that. I accept KP is who he is and I still think he is great for the team. IF he accepts his role. Since he is supposed to be such a student of the game, it should be clear to him what his limitations as a player are. I have a hard time believing he would think he should have the ball all the time and force something to try to prove he is something else than he really is. Just because he is a max player and he should be allowed to do what he wants or something. He might be frustrated by his inability to provide more, but that is not really Luka (or Mavs system) fault. 

I totally agree Mavs can't survive with Luka being asked to create everything. But I also think KP is not the answer here, again not because Luka is ignoring him or Mavs are not involving him, but because he just isn't able to be that player at this stage of where he is as a player. Not until he can reliably exploit his height advantage against smaller players. And I am ok with that. I would be super happy if KP would be able to improve and start punishing teams that would put smaller players on him. Than he would become a beast. Smaller players too small to guard him and centers too slow. Just look games like against Pelicans where he is guarded by Adams. He was killing it. And with Zion and Adams as very bad perimeter defenders, Pelicans just can't afford to throw a wing to guard KP. And KP is great in those games. But when playing Portland or Clippers, they put a wing (Kawhi, Jones, Hood and similar) on KP and he has a problem exoiting that. He is not strong enough and has high center of gravity to just push them below the rim. It is clear his worst games come against teams that throw good perimeter defenders on him (all three games against Portland, for example) and he thrives against the likes of Atlanta (Capella, Collins and Gallo are questionable perimeter defenders at best) or Pelicans.

Until KP will learn how to punish smaller players, Mavs will have a dire need for a capable creator. I am optimistic and I think one healthy offseason can solve that.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 05:48 AM)omahen Wrote: I accept KP is who he is and I still think he is great for the team.

The problem is that he hasn't been "great for the team."

This season when KP plays the Mavs are 3.2 pts worse (8.8 pts worse defensively and 5.6 pts better offensively).

Even in the last 15 games where KP has been playing way better the Mavs are only 0.3 pts better with him playing (9.7 pts worse defensively and 10.0 pts better offensively).

He has been horrible for the defense and to me that points to his disgruntled state. I think he has been giving a little better effort and stance defensively recently but it hasnt translated to better team defense. I think KP is like SO many players who only give full defensive effort when they are "happy." I just don't think KP is happy in DAL and with Luka. 

But even if all my theories are wrong (and they might be), the FACTS are that the team has not been better with KP and he has not been "great for the team" from a winning standpoint.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 05:48 AM)omahen Wrote: Let me first state that I think KP is an awesome player and I was super happy when Mavs traded for him. Still am. He basically has unlimited range which creates huge problems for opposing defense. However, he has a clear limitation that he can't really create for himself, let alone others. I don't think this is a consequence of Luka "ignoring" him or the Mavs system. It is just a simple fact and KP is the only one who can change that. 70 % of his shots are catch and shoots and his percentage is drastically dropping with number of dribbles he takes. Doncic for example only has 6.7 % of catch and shoot shots and his percentage is very stable even when he takes more dribbles. 

KP gets his touches and his shots, never mind small sample of last three games. No one can claim he doesn't. He is a clear number two guy. But, you can pass him the ball all you want and he will unfortunately have little effect unless he is left at least a bit open by opposing defense. His go to move is a post up and unfortunately he hasn't been really efficient. Offense can't miracoulously create open looks for KP, if defense is giving him attention.

All that being said - I am ok with that. I accept KP is who he is and I still think he is great for the team. IF he accepts his role. Since he is supposed to be such a student of the game, it should be clear to him what his limitations as a player are. I have a hard time believing he would think he should have the ball all the time and force something to try to prove he is something else than he really is. Just because he is a max player and he should be allowed to do what he wants or something. He might be frustrated by his inability to provide more, but that is not really Luka (or Mavs system) fault. 

I totally agree Mavs can't survive with Luka being asked to create everything. But I also think KP is not the answer here, again not because Luka is ignoring him or Mavs are not involving him, but because he just isn't able to be that player at this stage of where he is as a player. Not until he can reliably exploit his height advantage against smaller players. And I am ok with that. I would be super happy if KP would be able to improve and start punishing teams that would put smaller players on him. Than he would become a beast. Smaller players too small to guard him and centers too slow. Just look games like against Pelicans where he is guarded by Adams. He was killing it. And with Zion and Adams as very bad perimeter defenders, Pelicans just can't afford to throw a wing to guard KP. And KP is great in those games. But when playing Portland or Clippers, they put a wing (Kawhi, Jones, Hood and similar) on KP and he has a problem exoiting that. He is not strong enough and has high center of gravity to just push them below the rim. It is clear his worst games come against teams that throw good perimeter defenders on him (all three games against Portland, for example) and he thrives against the likes of Atlanta (Capella, Collins and Gallo are questionable perimeter defenders at best) or Pelicans.

Until KP will learn how to punish smaller players, Mavs will have a dire need for a capable creator. I am optimistic and I think one healthy offseason can solve that.

Well said.  Good evaluation of his offensive shortcomings.  Another capable creator might help.  Another thing that might help would be an offensive talent who was at or above KP in the pecking order so he wouldn't be forced to create his own offense in ways he's not good at.  As I say in another thread, as bad as he looks at times, he is having his most efficient shooting year by TS%.  What would that look like with an actual roll man in the offense who could also pick and pop and open up easier opportunities for KP inside.  Could KP adapt and become even more efficient (and go back to playing historically good D)?  Or would we become more of the apparently disgruntled employee Kamm is talking about.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - MFFL - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 04:35 AM)meistermatze Wrote: In another thread, Kamm and Killer were talking about how maybe Luka does not feel that he is good enough to justify more consideration in the offense. Luka will make the play and find the open man. You only change that it you have a better option per se (e.g. star player x) than player y being in a good position.

But will Luka share the ball with ANY star if this is the case?

If Luka is just going to get the ball in the right spot regardless of what player it is, then star player x = role player y

Most stars will not like that

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - meistermatze - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 08:26 AM)MFFL Wrote: But will Luka share the ball with ANY star if this is the case?

If Luka is just going to get the ball in the right spot regardless of what player it is, then star player x = role player y

I think if Luka recognizes that a player x (meaning star player) is usually a better option, even if not open, than player y (roleplayer) open he of course would do it. Obviously not many players fit that description and in Luka's mind, maybe even less palyers would fit it but I would be he'd at least agree when the guy was LeBron.

So yes, I am saying if player x has a certain amount of talent, Luka will recogize him as the best option in most situations and include him. Either KP ist not that guy or Luka would adjust to no one, regardless their talent. I'd wager the former.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Chicagojk - 03-23-2021

It is a tricky riddle.   But one where KP needs to play better is the answer.   I think there are several reasons (KP, Luka, coaching, etc) that may be part of the issue.  That is not to say, they are to blame.  

I think the next step in Luka's development is finding the hot hand or knowing when a player needs some confidence.  Luka plays his game.   He creates to score and if that is stopped, he almost always makes the right play.   That is good basketball.   But it is my opinion that we will not win a championship when the whole offense always goes thru Luka.  I think the offense just needs to give KP more touches.   Sure he looks like a giraffe on skates in the post and sometimes looks really bad making passes, but there is only one way this gets better.  Give him more touches.   Also, I wouldn't fault KP if he felt some frustration that Luka sometimes treats him as DFS.  As in, he will get the ball if Luka is stopped and you are the guy left open.   I can understand KP's frustration.  Before his first injury with the Knicks, he was building to be the guys most teams would build around.  Now a few years later, he is behind a supernova.   

KP needs to do his part as well.  If he isn't getting the ball as much, he needs to go an get it.   He needs to get to the free throw line more.   He needs to be a willing cutter.   It may not be the sexy stuff that grabs the highlights, but the more active he is the more opportunities he will get.  

Lastly, I think the coaching staff needs to find ways to get KP more touches 15 feet and in.   I don't like when he spends the majority of his time outside the three point line.   I don't know the full story behind the scenes, but I haven't been overly impressed how they have utilized KP for most of his time here.  I expected it would be a process, and a difficult one.    I just hoped we would be further along at this point.  

My ultimate vision is Luka and KP (and the players that surround them) could play any style and beat you at your playing style.  If you went big, Dallas could go big but play small.  If you went small, Dallas could go small, but play big.    I think Luka has lived up to this billing.  KP still needs to take a few improvement steps.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 07:08 AM)Kammrath Wrote: The problem is that he hasn't been "great for the team."

This season when KP plays the Mavs are 3.2 pts worse (8.8 pts worse defensively and 5.6 pts better offensively).

Even in the last 15 games where KP has been playing way better the Mavs are only 0.3 pts better with him playing (9.7 pts worse defensively and 10.0 pts better offensively).

I don't agree with this take and I think stats interpretation in this regard is wrong. If the net rating is used, than all of the following are net negative for the team (last 15 games): Brunson (-6.5), DFS (-2.9), THJ (-5.1) and Richardson (-9.9). Out of top 7 rotation guys only Luka (+7.7), Maxi (+7.9) and KP (+0.3) are actually positive in this span. 

On the other hand Burke, Bobi, Johnson, Powell, WCS post real nice net ratings. Are we sure we are playing the right guys? Smile  

I think too many factors impact the on/off to be used as a tool to show player impact. 

Perhaps it is better to compare overall team ratings in the last 15 games (although I think last 9 were the games Dallas finally played well) with first 9 games where KP wasn't playing. Mavs net rating in last 15 games is +7.1 (+8.9 in last 9), while Mavs net rating in first 9 games was just +4. Of course there are many other factors making this comparison difficult, such as "getting in shape" Luka, team playing together for the first time, still a lot of developmental minutes,...

(03-23-2021, 08:26 AM)MFFL Wrote: But will Luka share the ball with ANY star if this is the case?

A player who can create for himself and hopefully others will get the ball and create. Not just shoot it or pass it back to Luka "to do some magic". That would be the main difference. Luka IS passing the ball and IS sharing it. Ball is often shared with players before Luka starts action. Problem with current team is that no one is really able to create for others.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - MFFL - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 08:51 AM)omahen Wrote: A player who can create for himself and hopefully others will get the ball and create. Not just shoot it or pass it back to Luka "to do some magic". That would be the main difference. Luka IS passing the ball and IS sharing it. Ball is often shared with players before Luka starts action. Problem with current team is that no one is really able to create for others.

That description is not one that fits a lot of bigs

Most of them have a few favorite spots on the floor and when they get the ball they do their thing