MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 08:35 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: For all the on time and on target passes that people seem to hear about Luka, the only guy he can't find on time and on target is KP.

Luka assisted KP exactly 118 times this season. KP converted on 60 attempts. There is only one player that received more passes from Luka - THJ.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 08:57 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: You are all reading too much into the Luka side of things. If he wants Porzingis gone, he´s gone. Luka doesn´t need to play stupid little mind games. He basically owns this franchise. Porzingis might sense some hostility, because sub-consciously he now realizes, what hasn´t been so obvious 18 months ago. That Luka is a generational talent of LeBron/Michael proportions and that he is not even Pippen/Wade. Would be nice though, if Porzingis was Kukoc or Bosh.

Exactly. There is no one else to be blamed for KP "problems" than KP himself. And I am saying he is playing great lately, even if not scoring. And what is more important - Mavs are playing a beautiful and efficient basketball. Nothing else is important... If KP is more worried about his stats than team success than Mavs have a problem. And Luka is not it. 

I don't see Luka stat hunting. He is very efficient with his shots and he can actually create for himself. I don't think anyone would say anything (Luka included), if KP would be creating his own efficient shots. But he is not. He is assisted on like 90 % of his shots (I saw the exact number a couple of days ago but I am to lazy to look it up). I said it before - KP brings a lot of good to the team when he is engaded. Individual numbers are irrelevant.

I mean, we have somehow come to a twist where Luka shooting 19 shots with 8-9 from three is supposed to be a problem... Because KP shot just 7. Are people serious here?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dynamicalVoid - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 10:25 AM)omahen Wrote: Luka assisted KP exactly 118 times this season. KP converted on 60 attempts. There is only one player that received more passes from Luka - THJ.

Just curious if that is adjust for games played/minutes or is that total?

Is a 50% conversion rate good on assists?  I am pretty sure 50% FG% is considered good for shooters...but should assisted attempts be at a higher conversion rate?  I assume assists around the basket should be higher maybe?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 10:25 AM)omahen Wrote: Luka assisted KP exactly 118 times this season. KP converted on 60 attempts. There is only one player that received more passes from Luka - THJ.

That's good to know. 

I really think people are just coming to grips with the idea that KP isn't who we all hoped he'd be, exactly, and that we're all doing it in a variety of ways. It's a tough thing to swallow. 

For me, the make or break issue is defense. If he can play defense AT LEAST as well as he has over the past three weeks or so (hopefully even better as time goes by) I can handle the offensive disappointment. Just because he's nowhere near the same class as Dirk (who he's being compared with by the people here, whether consciously or not) doesn't mean he's not incredibly useful on that end. If he can just learn to punish teams for guarding him with forwards, somehow, then having him pull the opposing bigs out of the paint will be difference-making on offense whether he gets shots off or not. 

But, I'll say it again: you cannot have a good defense if your center isn't a good defender. I like what I've seen from him on that end more lately, but it's still not where I hoped it would be on the day they traded for him. He has bought a little hope from me that he's improving though. My mind is a little more open about it than it used to be.

(03-22-2021, 10:33 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Just curious if that is adjust for games played/minutes or is that total?

Is a 50% conversion rate good on assists?  I am pretty sure 50% FG% is considered good for shooters...but should assisted attempts be at a higher conversion rate?  I assume assists around the basket should be higher maybe?

That was a total number, not adjusted. Both THJ and KP have very similar conversion rate, a bit over 51 %. They are both shooters, not like KP is scoring a lot under the basket. I think the number has a lot to do with what defense allows. I think KP gets a lot of attention, much more than THJ. DFS and also JRich are often left wide open, which is why they receive a lot of passes.

So is a smart Luka play to pass to guarded KP or to an open DFS/Maxi/JRich?

(03-22-2021, 10:38 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I really think people are just coming to grips with the idea that KP isn't who we all hoped he'd be, exactly, and that we're all doing it in a variety of ways. It's a tough thing to swallow. 

More facts about KP offense. 71 % of his shots come after 0 dribbles and in 70 % of cases he holds ball for less than 2 seconds before he shoots. That is a definition of a catch and shoot guy. As you said - his range and ability to spread the floor is invaluable. If he learns how to punish small guys efficiently, he is what we need.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dynamicalVoid - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 10:38 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's good to know. 

I really think people are just coming to grips with the idea that KP isn't who we all hoped he'd be, exactly, and that we're all doing it in a variety of ways. It's a tough thing to swallow. 

For me, the make or break issue is defense. If he can play defense AT LEAST as well as he has over the past three weeks or so (hopefully even better as time goes by) I can handle the offensive disappointment. Just because he's nowhere near the same class as Dirk (who he's being compared with by the people here, whether consciously or not) doesn't mean he's not incredibly useful on that end. If he can just learn to punish teams for guarding him with forwards, somehow, then having him pull the opposing bigs out of the paint will be difference-making on offense whether he gets shots off or not. 

But, I'll say it again: you cannot have a good defense if your center isn't a good defender. I like what I've seen from him on that end more lately, but it's still not where I hoped it would be on the day they traded for him. He has bought a little hope from me that he's improving though. My mind is a little more open about it than it used to be.

I think KP can be a bigger threat on defense than what is being shown.   I could be wrong on this.

Just like our offense isnt showing what they are fully capable of night in night out(I assume saving tricks for the playoffs)...I think KP's paint defense might be way better than advertised.

I see plays where KP could have easily slid over to help Maxi in the paint but doesnt.  You can say that why he sucks.  But I think he is holding back...just like our offense.  I say this because these are professionals...making millions...you know better than to just stand there and not slide over to help in the paint.  It takes literally one step for these guys in the paint.  

I keep saying it and no one responds...but I know our offense isnt showing 100% and I think the Mavs are bluffing on their paint defense for the playoffs too.

Not saying we need to keep KP if he doesnt fit right or is bad on defense...just that I think we see a better paint defense in the playoffs...with or without KP.

I dont know how we can say our offense or defense is or isnt good when they dont show what they are capable of often.  Unless you are an insider and know what elements of the offense/defense the Mavs are working on from game to game or players the Mavs are working on from game to game....it seems like it is would be hard to evaluate how good or bad this team is right now.   Maybe closer to the end of the season...not now with all the experimenting.

(03-22-2021, 10:49 AM)omahen Wrote: That was a total number, not adjusted. Both THJ and KP have very similar conversion rate, a bit over 51 %. They are both shooters, not like KP is scoring a lot under the basket. I think the number has a lot to do with what defense allows. I think KP gets a lot of attention, much more than THJ. DFS and also JRich are often left wide open, which is why they receive a lot of passes.

I am not arguing with this...

But...I will say that some of Luka's bad chucks from three could be spread around to other teammates.

In his defense...I think he does it more on nights where we are trash on offense...we are in a hole and he is going to try and dig us out since no one else is stepping up or can create a shot for themselves.

IF...IF...KP is on our team still and we make the playoffs....IF KP can find a rhythm with that bank shot off the glass like he was hitting constantly in the bubble from 8-10 feet....that shot might be better than JRich or DFS shooting open shots.  But...I dont think the math guys like that shot.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 10:52 AM)omahen Wrote: More facts about KP offense. 71 % of his shots come after 0 dribbles and in 70 % of cases he holds ball for less than 2 seconds before he shoots. That is a definition of a catch and shoot guy. As you said - his range and ability to spread the floor is invaluable. If he learns how to punish small guys efficiently, he is what we need.

He did that better against Portland already. Posted up until he was within 3-5 feet from the basket, which resulted in double teams and he kicked it out. Later he got stripped, cause his awareness of the double-team was too slow.

Overall Porzingis should use his energy on the defensive end first. That´s another factor to consider. At 7´3 he won´t have the energy to be effective on both ends of the floor and/or increase his injury risk again. We need his actual presence and activity more on that end of the floor, especially if we are aiming for a 2nd (offensive) option via trade/FA. I´m just not sure whether Porzingis is willing to accept that he should aim to be Gobert and can´t be Jokic/Embiid.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - michaeltex - 03-22-2021

Like I said in another thread, I'm hoping he can stay healthy and have an offseason of skills development rather than trying to get back to normal after surgery. 

I haven't seen many games this season (thanks FSSW, not) but he does not seem to be very effective when guarded by a smaller player, even in the paint. If he can develop enough to make opponents pay for "under guarding" him, then he'll really take a step toward actual Unicorn status.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 12:19 PM)michaeltex Wrote: If he can develop enough to make opponents pay for "under guarding" him, then he'll really take a step toward actual Unicorn status.
All offseason, posting up DFS.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - michaeltex - 03-22-2021

I'm reminded of the stories of Dirk and Nash in their early times being gym rats and working together to improve. Each learning how to best defend the other and how to work together. 

All the COVID stuff and compressed schedules and injuries+recovery has eliminated those bonding opportunities for Luka and KP, if was even a possibility.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardShowerVoice - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 12:58 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I'm reminded of the stories of Dirk and Nash in their early times being gym rats and working together to improve. Each learning how to best defend the other and how to work together. 

All the COVID stuff and compressed schedules and injuries+recovery has eliminated those bonding opportunities for Luka and KP, if was even a possibility.

To further the comparison, small defenders used to give Dirk fits the say way it gives KP fits.   Bruce Bowen routintely gave Dirk fits in the playoffs, and the ultimate was when Nellie put Stephen Jackson on Dirk in the 2007 playoffs against Golden State and completely got in his head.    Then Dirk went back to the lab with Holger in the offseason and they worked on Dirk's low post game.   KP just needs to stay healthy enough to go to a lab in the offseason instead of a trainer's room and develop his version of the 1 legged fadeaway.  

And KP and Luka together  have been pretty good.

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1372575491668934659

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 10:49 AM)omahen Wrote: That was a total number, not adjusted. Both THJ and KP have very similar conversion rate, a bit over 51 %. They are both shooters, not like KP is scoring a lot under the basket. I think the number has a lot to do with what defense allows. I think KP gets a lot of attention, much more than THJ. DFS and also JRich are often left wide open, which is why they receive a lot of passes.

The obvious answer is what is their conversion rate...what is it?  I assume if you can get it for KP and THJ, you can get it for the others, right?  What is their conversion rate?

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=what+is+kristaps+porzingis%27+shot+chart

This is KP's shooting chart for the year.  Btw, by far (like 2-3 times as much), the most shots he's taken are at the rim.  For comparison with Luka, Luka has shot 3 times a many shots as KP overall over the entire year.

Of course, Luka hast taken more shots per game than any player in the league except Bradley Beal...about 4-5 more a game than Trae Young (talking about empty stats).  It is humorous that people want Brad Beal and Luka on the same team and don't see that after their 40-45 shots they would put up a game, no one else on the team would ever shoot.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Dahlsim - 03-22-2021

Quote:after their 40-45 shots they would put up a game, no one else on the team would ever shoot.

So you surround them with rebounders.  Dennis Rodman still around?  Big Grin

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 01:09 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: To further the comparison, small defenders used to give Dirk fits the say way it gives KP fits.   Bruce Bowen routintely gave Dirk fits in the playoffs, and the ultimate was when Nellie put Stephen Jackson on Dirk in the 2007 playoffs against Golden State and completely got in his head.    Then Dirk went back to the lab with Holger in the offseason and they worked on Dirk's low post game.   KP just needs to stay healthy enough to go to a lab in the offseason instead of a trainer's room.

And KP and Luka together  have been pretty good.

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1372575491668934659

And yet the sky is falling and we must trade KP.

Sure, I'll admit when they're on the court Luka/KP duo have looked rough around the edges, but at the end of the day the Mavs are a much much much better team with BOTH of them.

(03-22-2021, 01:34 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Btw, by far (like 2-3 times as much), the most shots he's taken are at the rim. 

Not really. He shot 37 % of shots in the 0-10 feet area and 39 % of his shots are three pointers. Luka on the other hand takes 39 % of his shots in that 0-10 feet area and a bit less than 38 % from three.
(03-22-2021, 01:34 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: t is humorous that people want Brad Beal and Luka on the same team and don't see that after their 40-45 shots they would put up a game, no one else on the team would ever shoot.

There are actually some 85-90 shots going around in a game. So it seems there would be room for a couple of more players. KP also doesn't have much to complain about. With a bit over 15 shots per game he is on 46th place in the league. So roughly right in the middle of number two guys.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 03:11 PM)omahen Wrote: Not really. He shot 37 % of shots in the 0-10 feet area and 39 % of his shots are three pointers. Luka on the other hand takes 39 % of his shots in that 0-10 feet area and a bit less than 38 % from three.

There are actually some 85-90 shots going around in a game. So it seems there would be room for a couple of more players. KP also doesn't have much to complain about. With a bit over 15 shots per game he is on 46th place in the league. So roughly right in the middle of number two guys.

Actually, you are wrong.  I posted the link and it's pretty clear.  Just reclassifying what I said and regrouping shots into different buckets to try to make your point sound better doesn't make a "not really".  

Front of the rim in the paint -- 126 shots (64% shooting percentage)
Left block - 23 shots (34.8% shooting percentage)
Right block - 35 shots (57%  shooting percentage)
Right wing (inside the arc) - 8 shots (12.5% shooting percentage)
Left wing (inside the arc - 6 shots (50% shooting percentage)
Left baseline (inside the arc) - 5 shots (80% shooting percentage)
Right baseline (inside the arc) - 4 shots (40.1% shooting percentage)
Right corner 3 - 7 shots (71% shooting percentage)
Right Wing 3 - 35 shots (30.6% shooting percentage)
Top of the key 3 - 80 shots (35% shooting percentage) --- the only one that isn't at half or less of the shots at the front of the rim
Left Wing 3 - 27 shots (30% shooting percentage)
Left baseline 3 - 6 shots (50% shooting percentage)
400 total shots
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=what+is+kristaps+porzingis%27+shot+chart
Let's don't play that kind of bull crap.  If it's going to be that way, I'll just write you off as a "try to win the debate" guy (not worth the time), not the "find the truth" guy (who's opposition or correction or sparring is greatly welcomed).

(03-22-2021, 05:22 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Actually, you are wrong.  I posted the link and it's pretty clear.  Just reclassifying what I said and regrouping shots doesn't make a "not really".  Let's don't play that kind of bull crap.  If it's going to be that way, I'll just write you off as a "win the debate" guy, not the "find the truth" guy.

I am stating facts from official data. Even your data confirms exactly what I am saying. He shoots more threes than shots ujnder the rim. Not even remotely close to your enigmatic claim that he takes like 2-3 times more shots at the rim.

92 shots in the restricted area, 156 threes. 

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/204001/shooting/

Or this way, 37 % from 0-10 feet, 39 % shots from three.

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/204001/shots-dash/

(03-22-2021, 05:31 PM)omahen Wrote: I am stating facts from official data. Even your data confirms exactly what I am saying. He shoots more threes than shots ujnder the rim. Not even remotely close to your enigmatic claim that he takes like 2-3 times more shots at the rim.

92 shots in the restricted area, 156 threes. 

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/204001/shooting/

Or this way, 37 % from 0-10 feet, 39 % shots from three.

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/204001/shots-dash/

All you are doing is repackaging and regrouping the official data that I shared, because you can't contradict my original point without trying to change the playing field.

I'm 100% correct in what I said and you can't refute it, but you want to be contrary, so you repackage and regroup to twist the stat to make it appear that I am wrong, BUT I'M NOT.