MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 03-10-2021

Same as last year...he has gotten better since a slow start after returning from injury...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-10-2021

RE: Should the Mavs trade KP?

I am still firmly in the trade-KP-this-summer camp. The whole idea of waiting till then was to up his value. 

The only thing that will change my mind will be consistently (20+ game sample) improved chemistry in the two-man/pick-and-roll game with Luka and moving without the ball like he did in the 4th tonight so Luka can find him for good looks in the flow of the offense. If he doesn't get that consistently by the end of the season he needs to go. I also need to see improved movement of his feet on D.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-10-2021

https://twitter.com/MavsDraft/status/1369866495598166018

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-11-2021

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1369875243318251524

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - fifteenth - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 12:38 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1369875243318251524

KP talks to Luka through the media and Rick talks to KP through the media.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 01:33 AM)fifteenth Wrote: KP talks to Luka through the media and Rick talks to KP through the media.

The thing is, I've normally agreed with KP every time he does statements like this. He seems to be consistently in Luka's blindspot. 

Tonight was a glimpse of what they can be. Lets hope RC can figure out a way to get KP in better positions where Luka prefers to pass.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardShowerVoice - 03-11-2021

Tonight was another reminder that Luka and KP have still only played ~50 games together, and I have a really hard time believing that the MBT are going to blow up this investment after 50 games .. especially when the Mavs are on track for their second playoff appearance in two years.     I wonder what the general opinion of KP would be if the NBA had started the season in mid/late January as everyone had originally anticipated and he had the full time to rehab his injury without having to miss training camp and/or games and forced on his conditioning and teammate chemistry on primetime TV in games that matter.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 12:38 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1369875243318251524

Below is a fair evaluation of things by MacMahon including a brief mention about trade rumors ("the perception among executives around the league is he is available").  Continued improvement is critical.  Good KP helps a lot and bad KP can't be overcome.

I'm disappointed by the Callie Caplan quote.  I thought KP was really engaged last night (as he should have been as SA didn't have anyone to cover him).  His body language ahead of the break was just horrible often showing visible frustration when he didn't get the ball when he expected it (either that or he was disengaged several feet behind the 3 point line).  None of that last night and he made it through the post-game interview with nothing but positive vibes.  

I didn't expect a few days off to fix everything, but I would like it much better if KP could just let it go with the veiled swipes at Luka through the press.  BTW, could we let it go with the "you people who want to dump KP for nothing" straw man.  I don't think anyone would have even been proposing trades if it weren't for the fact that 1. Mom and Dad are having issues.  2. KP's play hasn't been good.  And 3. The rumors of talks had too much smoke to them to have not been true at some level.  Ideally KP would always be healthy, happy and engaged 100% of the time.  You don't trade that guy if he exists.  The real question is whether that guy still exists or can be regenerated in a Mav's uniform.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30972031/why-kristaps-porzingis-key-dallas-mavericks-second-half-hopes

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Chicagojk - 03-11-2021

I have been pretty harsh that the Mavs really need a PF compliment to KP who provides some toughness, an interior presence, be able to defend multiple positions, and hit an open shot.  I still think the Mavs need that to pair with Maxi. 

Although in fairness, their vision of KP is not something we have seen consistently.  When you see it (how KP played last night), the Mavs vision becomes more clear.    He is too mobile/skilled for the Poetl's of the world and too big for the long wings San Antonio has.   It is what I hoped for with Luka and KP.  That no matter what the other team does (going big or small), the mavs have the answer.  And their answer is better than yours.   

Basketball is a complicated game, but it is also simple.   If Luka and KP play like they are capable of playing, the Mavs will win much more than they lose.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardShowerVoice - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 08:15 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I have been pretty harsh that the Mavs really need a PF compliment to KP who provides some toughness, an interior presence, be able to defend multiple positions, and hit an open shot.  I still think the Mavs need that to pair with Maxi. 

Although in fairness, their vision of KP is not something we have seen consistently.  When you see it (how KP played last night), the Mavs vision becomes more clear.    He is too mobile/skilled for the Poetl's of the world and too big for the long wings San Antonio has.   It is what I hoped for with Luka and KP.  That no matter what the other team does (going big or small), the mavs have the answer.  And their answer is better than yours.   

Basketball is a complicated game, but it is also simple.   If Luka and KP play like they are capable of playing, the Mavs will win much more than they lose.

Agreed, and for me the big difference in KP is when he can make opponents pay for guarding him with smaller player, because blowing buy the Poetl's of the world while facing the basket is easy for him.   He just hasn't developed the signature move/low post game to consistently beat the smaller forwards who can stay in front of him, but that doesn't mean he can't or won't.  I still maintain this is a side effect of his injuries, because every offseason spent in the trainer's room rehabbing a leg is an offseason he could have spent working on these things in the gym.  Embiid saw a similar stunting of his development for the exact same reason earlier in his career.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 08:13 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: but I would like it much better if KP could just let it go with the veiled swipes at Luka through the press

I didn't read that quote as a swipe at anyone at all. What I understand is - "I didn't get good looks but I didn't force my shots. I was patient. " Certainly different from previous games, when he was impatient and was forcing his shots. Why I said he palyed a smart game. I didn't read that the part with "didn't get good looks" is a swipe at anyone - it was just a fact, no one to blame. If anything, I understood that he recognized his previous mistakes and improved.

(03-11-2021, 08:13 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: 1. Mom and Dad are having issues.

This is not a fact, this is an assumption

(03-11-2021, 08:13 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: 3. The rumors of talks had too much smoke to them to have not been true at some level.

There was basically one report and another national guy saying that it is true. Nothing else. Main thing - the level at which the KP trade talk is going on is totally unclear. Theoretical possible span is from Mavs actively shopping him to Mavs didn't immediately put down the phone when someone asked about KP. Main "smoke" about the KP trade talk on this board came from tea leaf reading.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 08:15 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I have been pretty harsh that the Mavs really need a PF compliment to KP who provides some toughness, an interior presence, be able to defend multiple positions, and hit an open shot.  I still think the Mavs need that to pair with Maxi. 

I wish we could get second half KP for 4 quarters every game but we haven't seen it. He looks like a 2nd year player still figuring things out. I don't know what's going on with him or Rick. As an example he clearly is most comfortable operating on the left side. When he is at the top of the 3 line he can shoot it okay but when he pumps and drives he usually drives into traffic. On the block he is slow to make a decision when the double comes. On the left side he just seems more decisive. I also like it when he sets up in the corner like DFS likes to do bc then he has a short 3 but also has a quick path to the basket with almost no traffic if he attacks a closeout. He also has a faster path to the basket for rebounds and put-backs (like Dorian), as well as alley-oops (a lot of teams get alley oops from that spot). Anyways I am still underwhelmed by him overall bc the good things he does he doesn't do enough and I don't know why.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 03-11-2021

What has Stein said about the KP rumors or has he acknowledge them at all?...

I don't think Stein has said anything about KP rumors, but Stein generally considers it beneath him to report on low level front office executive/player agent gossipy grapevine stuff.   Working for the NY Times he just has to write his column.  He's not forced to make frequent TV appearances to Feed The Beast with rumors like the guys who work for ESPN.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 09:20 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: He looks like a 2nd year player still figuring things out.

That´s actually the thing. He not only missed 1 1/2 seasons because of his injuries. He also couldn´t really work on his game in the last three off seasons. Recovering from injuries or trying to get back in shape instead of adding new skills.
I guess most of us still remember Dirk coming back with a new move every single year. Players rarely make big leaps in the season. That´s what happens in the off season.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 09:31 AM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: I don't think Stein has said anything about KP rumors, but Stein generally considers it beneath him to report on low level front office executive/player agent gossipy grapevine stuff.   Working for the NY Times he just has to write his column.  He's not forced to make frequent TV appearances to Feed The Beast with rumors like the guys who work for ESPN.

Yep...not a single report says the Mavs have done anything...just rival exec(s) inventing a narrative for some unknown yet reason...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - fifteenth - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 08:13 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Below is a fair evaluation of things by MacMahon including a brief mention about trade rumors ("the perception among executives around the league is he is available").  Continued improvement is critical.  Good KP helps a lot and bad KP can't be overcome.

I'm disappointed by the Callie Caplan quote.  I thought KP was really engaged last night (as he should have been as SA didn't have anyone to cover him).  His body language ahead of the break was just horrible often showing visible frustration when he didn't get the ball when he expected it (either that or he was disengaged several feet behind the 3 point line).  None of that last night and he made it through the post-game interview with nothing but positive vibes.  

I didn't expect a few days off to fix everything, but I would like it much better if KP could just let it go with the veiled swipes at Luka through the press.  BTW, could we let it go with the "you people who want to dump KP for nothing" straw man.  I don't think anyone would have even been proposing trades if it weren't for the fact that 1. Mom and Dad are having issues.  2. KP's play hasn't been good.  And 3. The rumors of talks had too much smoke to them to have not been true at some level.  Ideally KP would always be healthy, happy and engaged 100% of the time.  You don't trade that guy if he exists.  The real question is whether that guy still exists or can be regenerated in a Mav's uniform.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30972031/why-kristaps-porzingis-key-dallas-mavericks-second-half-hopes

Agree an all counts. 1. Almost everyone here wants a KP who meets his potential. 2. It's obvious that KP talks to Luka through the media (not a good sign), and 3. The rumors are substantial enough that they at least say someone (Mavs or KP's people) gauged interest with someone.

None of that means it can't be worked out, though.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 03-11-2021

(03-10-2021, 08:42 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: That´s what Donnie and the MBT need to figure out.
I don't think they can figure that out without being able to see him day in/day out. Do you?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 10:05 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don't think they can figure that out without being able to see him day in/day out. Do you?

That´s how it works. Talent evaluation and scouting. Find players with potential. Find players that are playing the wrong role on another team. Once they turn into a star player it is nearly impossible to get them. Best recent examples: Julius Randle. He was available for free just two years ago. Now he is an allstar and the best player on a Knicks team with a winning record.
Most recent example for the Mavs. Most of us (me included) thought that THJs contract was all time bad. Overpaid chucker that cannot defend. Turns out that he actually is one of the better high volume 3-point shooters in the league. New team...different role...better player.

Wisemans rookie stats aren´t bad. Just looking at the counting stats he could be the next AD or the next Bagley. If you trade for him and he turns into AD 2.0 you have the foundation of a dynasty. If he is Bagley 2.0 you wasted all remaining assets on a player that hurts the team when he is on the floor.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 03-11-2021

(03-10-2021, 08:42 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: We don´t know if he is the real deal. That´s what Donnie and the MBT need to figure out.
So, here is the full quote. We can't know if he's the real deal without seeing him day in and day out. I don't think it's reality to expect that either.