MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 03-09-2021

I've been on board with waiting to the end of the season. I think a healthy fresh off a good playoff run KP is where we'll get the best value out of him if this thing isn't salvageable [I'm kinda fine if it isn't at this point cause I'm constantly wondering when (not if) he'll get injured again]. If someone wants to give us that type of value at the deadline however, I'm fine with making it happen sooner rather than later.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 03-09-2021

(03-09-2021, 01:00 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: [I'm kinda fine if it isn't at this point cause I'm constantly wondering when (not if) he'll get injured again].

And that's why I hope it happens soon. It's the ultimate game of hot potato.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 03-09-2021

(03-09-2021, 01:19 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: And that's why I hope it happens soon. It's the ultimate game of hot potato.
The ultimate game of hot potato where KP goes to another team and becomes the superstar we all envisioned. That would be pretty horrible.

If he goes to another team and becomes a superstar and we got good value out of him? I don't care.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-09-2021

(03-09-2021, 02:18 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If he goes to another team and becomes a superstar and we got good value out of him? I don't care.

If the value we get back isn't a superstar as well then I'd care a lot. We all know in the NBA the team trading the best player is the 99.9% of the time the loser of the trade. 

I can already see the threads "Donnie is a terrible asset manager. Giving up KP at his lowest point, got back spareparts, and now look he's averaging 28/11 on XXX"

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 03-09-2021

(03-09-2021, 12:12 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Has anyone floated this theory:

1. KP doesn't like the fit with Luka. He wants the ball more. He doesn't especially like being asked questions that include the phrase "your best player" when the interviewer is talking about Luka. He doesn't really want to play the way RC would ideally like for him to play. And the rumors in the past of KP being selfish and hard to work with are all turning out to be true (sad news for Mavs fans).

2. KP broached the trade idea with the Mavs. KP's people have even had some off the record conversations with the Warriors.

3. But!!! The Mavs are not reacting to this by agreeing to trade him. Instead, they're saying, "KP, you're under contract, we want you here, we have a plan to make you and Luka great together, and it can all work if you stick with us. We're not trading you. If you work with us there will be plenty of shots, wins and credit to go around. So stick with us, keep a TEAM attitude, let Rick's vision for you and Luka play out, and it's going to work out great. 

I don't know that I believe this, but wanted to at least put it on the table.

1.  I think this is true.
2.  This is possible minus KP's people talking to GSW.  I'd learn to this not happening at all.
3.  I think the MBT desire is to keep KP.  

All that said, KP's recent injuries probably put a kink in the hose.  Maybe all this noise is rumors and speculation but it feels like there is a bit too much smoke for this to be absolutely nothing.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 03-09-2021

(03-09-2021, 01:53 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: The ultimate game of hot potato where KP goes to another team and becomes the superstar we all envisioned. That would be pretty horrible.

And then we will get hundreds of posts on how the Mavs screwed it up once again... Big Grin

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - embellisher - 03-09-2021

(03-09-2021, 12:12 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Has anyone floated this theory:

1. KP doesn't like the fit with Luka. He wants the ball more. He doesn't especially like being asked questions that include the phrase "your best player" when the interviewer is talking about Luka. He doesn't really want to play the way RC would ideally like for him to play. And the rumors in the past of KP being selfish and hard to work with are all turning out to be true (sad news for Mavs fans).

2. KP broached the trade idea with the Mavs. KP's people have even had some off the record conversations with the Warriors.

3. But!!! The Mavs are not reacting to this by agreeing to trade him. Instead, they're saying, "KP, you're under contract, we want you here, we have a plan to make you and Luka great together, and it can all work if you stick with us. We're not trading you. If you work with us there will be plenty of shots, wins and credit to go around. So stick with us, keep a TEAM attitude, let Rick's vision for you and Luka play out, and it's going to work out great. 

I don't know that I believe this, but wanted to at least put it on the table.

Interesting theory. If true, I hope we get value for him, or he comes around to the idea of being a really good Robin, because I'm frankly no longer sure he has what it takes to be a Batman. 

I do firmly believe that the rumors didn't come from the Mavs. They're either from his brother or one of the teams they've talked to, if your theory is correct. 

Nice to see you posting. I hadn't seen you in a while and I was hoping everything was OK.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - michaeltex - 03-10-2021

I'm not as immersed as some on the board seem to be, but was KP EVER Batman? Even in Euro leagues? I don't recall anything saying he was and his numbers don't look like it.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/kristaps-porzingis-1.html

So why the expectation (even from KP?) that he's capable of playing as the Alpha player? Sure, his compensation reflects that, but there are a lot of over paid players in the league.

Obviously Luka was and knows how to play that role, to DAL great benefit. He gets recognition for filling that role and will get paid soon. KP is more than a role player, but he's never going to be a league dominant player.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 03-10-2021

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/why-bob-myers-expects-more-warriors-aggressive-nba-trade-deadline

So given Bob Myers' "aggressive" approach if he gives you Wiseman, Oubre and Minney pick for KP you do that right? This assumes of course the Mavs like Wiseman as a foundational player and future star or something close to it.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 06:27 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: So given Bob Myers' "aggressive" approach if he gives you Wiseman, Oubre and Minney pick for KP you do that right?

Given Cuban literally came out and said "We're not making any trades unless a team is blowing it up and is giving us a star" then no they won't do that.

Wiseman isn't a star. Wiseman hasn't shown he can be a star. We'll see next year if he has that in him.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 03-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 06:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Given Cuban literally came out and said "We're not making any trades unless a team is blowing it up and is giving us a star" then no they won't do that.

Wiseman isn't a star. Wiseman hasn't shown he can be a star. We'll see next year if he has that in him.
Next year with the addition of Klay, it'll be even harder for him to showcase any skill he has other than defensive.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 06:56 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Next year with the addition of Klay, it'll be even harder for him to showcase any skill he has other than defensive.

And now we see why they're throwing his name in trades this year and trying to sell high.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 03-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 06:57 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: And now we see why they're throwing his name in trades this year and trying to sell high.
Ya, the little I've seen of him in addition to the defense you're putting up against, I'm not so high on the guy. I mean, even the guys who want him are saying he has the tools to be a good defender. Which is saying he's not a good defender, but he can, if given time, patience, hard work and the desire. That can be said of most guys in the league. 

This fascination with Wiseman is getting weirder and weirder.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - BasketballJones41 - 03-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 07:02 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Ya, the little I've seen of him in addition to the defense you're putting up against, I'm not so high on the guy. I mean, even the guys who want him are saying he has the tools to be a good defender. Which is saying he's not a good defender, but he can, if given time, patience, hard work and the desire. That can be said of most guys in the league. 

I agree. The other thing about Wiseman is I wonder how Luka would feel about it. Seeing how much it physically hurts him to lose I can’t imagine he would be real enthusiastic about trading KP for a project. I’m open to trading KP just not A fan of any of the hypothetical Golden State deals. I think a deal Chicago makes way more sense.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 03-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 06:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Given Cuban literally came out and said "We're not making any trades unless a team is blowing it up and is giving us a star" then no they won't do that.

Not arguing for the likelihood of this or any other specific proposed deal, but we’re all Mavs fans, so clearly we should all know that Cuban and Donnie both lie to us on the regular. Rightfully so.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 03-10-2021

(03-10-2021, 07:02 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Ya, the little I've seen of him in addition to the defense you're putting up against, I'm not so high on the guy. I mean, even the guys who want him are saying he has the tools to be a good defender. Which is saying he's not a good defender, but he can, if given time, patience, hard work and the desire. That can be said of most guys in the league. 

Sure. We don´t know if he is the real deal. That´s what Donnie and the MBT need to figure out. Thing is that KPs value isn´t high enough to get that kind of player. Why should any team trade a healthy "star" level player in his prime for an injury-prone "star" level player.
It´s not like KP is a sure thing. A lot of his value is still based around the assumption that he will improve in the future. Or at least stay healthy. No one would trade for the current net negative version.

If you don´t think that Wiseman is going to be a good/great player that´s a valid opinion but I disagree. Without the college ban he would have been the undisputed 1st overall pick. He was a dominant force on both sides of the floor in the few games he played (better than Ayton or Towns). In the end it is up to the MBT to make a call on his abilities but comparing his potential to the average NBA player makes zero sense. In terms of raw athleticism and mobility the only comparable bigs in the league are AD and Giannis.

I wonder how people would judge his performance if he would have a Towns or AD like rookie season. Putting up numbers on a tanking team instead of being a 20 minutes per game rotation player on a playoff team. His numbers are actually comparable to rookie AD but he is playing less minutes.

Last point: We are discussing Wiseman because the Warriors are among the most discussed deadline buyers. With Beal or KP as the rumored target.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-10-2021

Cuban saying that basically means less than nothing.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 03-10-2021

https://media.giphy.com/media/FAx0A9azPd6Hm/giphy.gif

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-10-2021

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1369860651401682947