MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 03-05-2021

(03-05-2021, 07:38 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Rick is not going anywhere.

I don't think so either but much like Donnie, keeping him around isn't the right move.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - BolsDamols - 03-05-2021

My heart wants to believe that people are reading too much into what KP says while there's really nothing there
But in my mind, I am starting to believe that KP might just have the level of intelligence and savvy to exhibit the right mix of truth/ passive aggressiveness to still keep people guessing, while subtly getting his message across...He is no DSJ people

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-05-2021

(03-05-2021, 05:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/currysmo1/status/1365069033679294464

I mean c'mon

Take a look at this dudes twitter. Even he offers a more reasonable explanation:

https://twitter.com/Currysmo1/status/1365122749052706819

He says:

lol 11k views because the idiot KP accidentally pressed a button. If he actually comes he will be my something (pollo is chicken but idk if he means that), and I will defend him more than curry when he has 1/32.

What's more plausible? KP accidentally liking a tweet where he was mentioned or him liking a tweet because he wants out and then quickly unliking said tweet?

(03-05-2021, 07:26 PM)cow Wrote: If he stays or if he goes, I think it's time to part ways with Carlisle this offseason. 

I wonder what a Rick Carlisle trade can net you in terms of assets...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 03-05-2021

(03-05-2021, 09:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I wonder what a Rick Carlisle trade can net you in terms of assets...

I think he'd be perfect to push a talented team over the top.  Candidates:  Boston or Denver (I think it's too early to pull the plug on Malone who I really like).  I'm sure Atlanta and bunch of other team not ready to contend would be interested too.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-05-2021

(03-05-2021, 10:04 PM)cow Wrote: I think he'd be perfect to push a talented team over the top.  Candidates:  Boston or Denver (I think it's too early to pull the plug on Malone who I really like).  I'm sure Atlanta and bunch of other team not ready to contend would be interested too.

I could see a team like CHA or ORL as well throwing picks.

I'd be happy to trade Carlisle for Stevens.

(03-05-2021, 10:46 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I could see a team like CHA or ORL as well throwing picks.

I'd be happy to trade Carlisle for Stevens.

I was pretty high on Stevens for a while but that team just seems to be spinning its' wheels in the mud.  He's done a nice job developing Tatum and Brown though.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-05-2021

(03-05-2021, 09:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I mean c'mon

I never said anything about it one way or the other. @"DanSchwartzgan" asked, I provided what had been referenced. That is all. I haven't seen ANYONE act like that is some big piece of evidence.

Chicago shopping for a star to pair with LaVine.  

[Image: 200.gif]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 03-06-2021

(03-05-2021, 01:47 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I have a new theory (might not be new, but I don’t recall reading it).  What if the agent/brother told the Brain Trust that KP is unhappy and to protect his reputation, sought permission to quietly gauge interest.  Donnie/Cuban know things aren’t working and say yes (which gives them plausible deniability and maybe even plausible indignation at the suggestion they were making calls).  Where do you go first if you are KP?  Yeah, Golden State.  Me too.  Big contracts to trade.  Plenty of spacing and a Point PF who could care less about shooting (and plays good perimeter D).  Its a nice fit and a wonderful outcome for the sequence of big contracts that started with the DRussell S&T.

So, my theory is a deal was proposed.  Maybe there was some haggling.  Eventually someone said no.  GS thinks they hold the cards and decides to squeeze Dallas a little by finding a way to make this public.  Maybe this getting out forces Dallas to come back to the table.  After all, there aren’t that many viable options.  Instead Dallas gets pissed.  They tell KP to STFU and play.  He does, but he just can’t help his passive aggressive nature (I read this the same as Kamm).

This feels like a divorce is coming.  Dallas needs to find leverage (a viable second team or even a third).  Washington is in the picture.  Schwartz goes to work (Dallas will make a max offer to Collins) bringing Atlanta into the picture.  Peak pressure will be right at the TDL as long as KP stays healthy and keeps his mouth shut.  If I’m in charge, I don’t wait.  I’m lining up the deal after the KP deal and I’m doing the KP deal relatively soon.  Give the new team as much time to gel as possible.  BTW, one way of making this all about Schwartz is to do this with Atlanta and bring in Collins (PF) and Drummond ©.  

Atlanta gets KP and JRich (good defender next to Young)
Cleveland gets expiring Snell and Johnson (and some draft compensation from someone)
Dallas gets Bogdanovic (3 guard rotation w/Luka and Brunson), Collins and Drummond

Collins is kept this summer.  Drummond’s status depends on how he fits and whether Dallas can sign Holmes for less.
That makes some sense, although if GS thought they could pressure the Mavs to sell KP for pennies on the dollar, I don't think they're too smart. The core of the deal would obviously be Wiseman for KP, so I'm guessing the disagreement is on the salary filler and draft compensation(Minny pick). No way do I take GS's bad salaries without getting the Minny pick as well.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 03-06-2021

(03-06-2021, 12:21 AM)Branduil Wrote: That makes some sense, although if GS thought they could pressure the Mavs to sell KP for pennies on the dollar, I don't think they're too smart. The core of the deal would obviously be Wiseman for KP, so I'm guessing the disagreement is on the salary filler and draft compensation(Minny pick). No way do I take GS's bad salaries without getting the Minny pick as well.

To be sure, this is just tea leaf reading.  I'm not envisioning "pennies on the dollar".  I'm envisioning the two sides are relatively close.  Maybe it is the question of which pick (Minnesota's or GS's own).  BTW, there is only about a 50/50 chance the Minnesota pick conveys this year.  It could be Wiggins vs. Oubre as the filler.  There is a relatively finite number of options.

I LOVE the upside of Wiseman.  With that said, the more practical and immediately helpful deal is probably the Atlanta deal centered around Collins.  I'd call Collins an average defender.  But, I think he's a better scorer than KP at all 3 levels...rim, mid range and 3.  I think you can find a defensive center more easily than we can find that perfect guy to fit next to KP (2 years in we still don't know what that is).  I think we need a better version of JRich to run a 3 man guard rotation alongside either Luka or Brunson.  I like Bogdonovic in that role a lot.  So, one trade solves two issues and you still have lots of flexibility this summer.  You can get to max money to replace THJ at SF and move DFS to the bench.  Or, you can retain THJ and use the MLE on a center.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-06-2021

https://twitter.com/Tim_NBA/status/1367995132948209664

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - mvossman - 03-08-2021

(03-06-2021, 10:14 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: To be sure, this is just tea leaf reading.  I'm not envisioning "pennies on the dollar".  I'm envisioning the two sides are relatively close.  Maybe it is the question of which pick (Minnesota's or GS's own).  BTW, there is only about a 50/50 chance the Minnesota pick conveys this year.  It could be Wiggins vs. Oubre as the filler.  There is a relatively finite number of options.

I LOVE the upside of Wiseman.  With that said, the more practical and immediately helpful deal is probably the Atlanta deal centered around Collins.  I'd call Collins an average defender.  But, I think he's a better scorer than KP at all 3 levels...rim, mid range and 3.  I think you can find a defensive center more easily than we can find that perfect guy to fit next to KP (2 years in we still don't know what that is).  I think we need a better version of JRich to run a 3 man guard rotation alongside either Luka or Brunson.  I like Bogdonovic in that role a lot.  So, one trade solves two issues and you still have lots of flexibility this summer.  You can get to max money to replace THJ at SF and move DFS to the bench.  Or, you can retain THJ and use the MLE on a center.

This all makes a lot of sense, but I find myself not terribly excited about either of these moves.  KP can be a tricky fit, but I'm not sure Collins is any better.  He operates in the paint more, and is a worse defender.  Not sure it will be that easy to find a perfect fit for him.  Plus, it seems like both guys might be disgruntled with their ball hogging point guards.  Not sure how swapping them makes this any better.  
Wiseman has upside, but this only works out for Dallas if he turns into a high quality defender.  Feel like there is a lot of risk there.  Not sure how that compares to the risk of KP being able to stay healthy.

To be honest, my preference of all of these options is for KP and Luka to work it out and see what this starting lineup could do this year.  Then reassess in the summer.  I would like to trade Johnson for something, and I am not worried about losing free agency options as there is not much out there I think we can reasonably get.  Love does not make much sense on this team (especially if we still have KP) but I would be interested in a Johnson/Powell/(maybe Green) trade for Horford.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 03-08-2021

(03-08-2021, 11:51 AM)mvossman Wrote: I would be interested in a Johnson/Powell/(maybe Green) trade for Horford.
I'm not understanding these trades for Horford that don't involve OKC tipping the trade partner. It took Phil a 1st rounder to get off his contract, why would the next team have to tip them to get off his contract as well? I don't get it. This is no different from the Love idea. If both teams are fine paying that contract, let them have the players!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 03-08-2021

(03-08-2021, 03:51 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I'm not understanding these trades for Horford that don't involve OKC tipping the trade partner. It took Phil a 1st rounder to get off his contract, why would the next team have to tip them to get off his contract as well? I don't get it. This is no different from the Love idea. If both teams are fine paying that contract, let them have the players!

I think there are three reasons. Horford is the best player in this proposal, his contract is now half a season shorter and Powell has almost as much left on his contract as Horford does.  

In the OKC Philly deal OKC paid basically only expirings (Green, Ferguson), where Green is arguably the best player in the trade and Ferguson is sort of a young talent on a prove it contract.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 03-08-2021

(03-08-2021, 04:02 PM)omahen Wrote: I think there are three reasons. Horford is the best player in this proposal, his contract is now half a season shorter and Powell has almost as much left on his contract as Horford does.  

In the OKC Philly deal OKC paid basically only expirings (Green, Ferguson), where Green is arguably the best player in the trade and Ferguson is sort of a young talent on a prove it contract.
So the trade proposed was JJ/Powell/Green for Horford. That's us tipping them for the privilege of what? 

BBall-Ref shows Horford with $69M left guaranteed while Powell has $33M. Unless they have the reporting wrong, that's more than double the amount left. 

Powell might have a chance to get better, while Horford has the very real probability of getting worse.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 03-08-2021

(03-08-2021, 04:31 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: BBall-Ref shows Horford with $69M left guaranteed while Powell has $33M. Unless they have the reporting wrong, that's more than double the amount left. 

My bad, I thought Horford only has one year left.

(03-08-2021, 04:53 PM)omahen Wrote: My bad, I thought Horford only has one year left.
Last year is partially guaranteed. Edit: to the tune of $15M, which is still more than what Powell will make in his final year.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - fifteenth - 03-09-2021

Has anyone floated this theory:

1. KP doesn't like the fit with Luka. He wants the ball more. He doesn't especially like being asked questions that include the phrase "your best player" when the interviewer is talking about Luka. He doesn't really want to play the way RC would ideally like for him to play. And the rumors in the past of KP being selfish and hard to work with are all turning out to be true (sad news for Mavs fans).

2. KP broached the trade idea with the Mavs. KP's people have even had some off the record conversations with the Warriors.

3. But!!! The Mavs are not reacting to this by agreeing to trade him. Instead, they're saying, "KP, you're under contract, we want you here, we have a plan to make you and Luka great together, and it can all work if you stick with us. We're not trading you. If you work with us there will be plenty of shots, wins and credit to go around. So stick with us, keep a TEAM attitude, let Rick's vision for you and Luka play out, and it's going to work out great. 

I don't know that I believe this, but wanted to at least put it on the table.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-09-2021

(03-09-2021, 12:12 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Has anyone floated this theory:

1. KP doesn't like the fit with Luka. He wants the ball more. He doesn't especially like being asked questions that include the phrase "your best player" when the interviewer is talking about Luka. He doesn't really want to play the way RC would ideally like for him to play. And the rumors in the past of KP being selfish and hard to work with are all turning out to be true (sad news for Mavs fans).

2. KP broached the trade idea with the Mavs. KP's people have even had some off the record conversations with the Warriors.

3. But!!! The Mavs are not reacting to this by agreeing to trade him. Instead, they're saying, "KP, you're under contract, we want you here, we have a plan to make you and Luka great together, and it can all work if you stick with us. We're not trading you. If you work with us there will be plenty of shots, wins and credit to go around. So stick with us, keep a TEAM attitude, let Rick's vision for you and Luka play out, and it's going to work out great. 

Decent theory, but to me there is too much smoke that the Mavs have been actively shopping KP. So I would change your number three to something like:

3) The Mavs have told KP and his brother to keep a low profile and they will work to find KP a situation that is win-win for him and for the Mavs. But they need to be patient because it might take awhile.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dynamicalVoid - 03-09-2021

(03-09-2021, 12:12 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Has anyone floated this theory:

1)  He averages 16.1 FGA per game...6.3 3PA per game...playing 30 minutes a game through 20 games.  Per basketball-reference...that is par for the course his entire career.   Unless the Mavs promised something more during the acquisition...I dont see how KP can be upset with touches/shots(wanting the ball more).   There didnt seem to be a problem end of last year or in the bubble.   Its RC's offense and what KP is being asked to do, Luka's usage rate or a major personal issue with someone on the team or in the organization...if I had to bet.

2) All signs point to this.  Im not into tea reading and Im not going to list the sequence of events that leads me to believe this...but KP pressuring for a trade is where my money would be.   If there is nothing going on behind the scenes...there is some weird, unnecessary game being played that doesnt really relate to basketball what so ever.  Which would make you ask "Why else would those things have occurred?"

3) As someone mentioned on this board a few days ago...its in everyone's best interest for this to work out.  Especially the Mavs.   I dont see the Mavs being able to acquire someone of KP's caliber/potential elsewhere...best try and work it out.  If the team thinks he is too much to deal with or that his defense is too much of a liability then I guess move him...but he is going to be hard to replace.   When I say caliber/potential and hard to replace...I am talking about Playoff basketball...not regular season games.  

Lets just get into the playoffs and see what this squad can or cant do.