MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardShowerVoice - 03-03-2021

Right.  It's one thing if you got an offer for KP that you couldn't refuse, it's another when you're trading him off at 30 cents on the dollar just because you decided you have to trade him.    It's a star driven league.   I'm not trading off someone with star potential unless it's a means of last resort, and we're not even close to there yet.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-03-2021

RE: Mavs Lineup

1) That 5 man lineup of the Mavs is 44th in minutes played @ 121 mins.

2) That 5 man lineup is 12th not 1st in the NBA of 5 man lineups with 100+ mins together.

Look, it is GOOD that lineup is successful, but it is not the best 5 man lineup with large minutes and it also needs LOTS more minutes against better competition for us to see what it is really made of. I am glad for its good start, but this is definitely a "small sample size" situation where we need to let things play out. A really bad first quarter from this lineup in the next game could completely change its statistical outlook.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-03-2021

Maybe.... JUST MAYBE..... KP's mere presence causes opposing teams to react differently, thus opening the offense. Even if he takes dumb shots or isn't hitting them.

AND MAYBE he isn't as bad on defense as we thought. 

Just throwing it out there....

(P.S. KP Island is getting pretty barren. Please send food & water.)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 03-03-2021

(03-03-2021, 02:39 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Maybe.... JUST MAYBE..... KP's mere presence causes opposing teams to react differently, thus opening the offense. Even if he takes dumb shots or isn't hitting them.

It absolutely does. 100%

(03-03-2021, 02:39 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: AND MAYBE he isn't as bad on defense as we thought. 

You're on an island on this one, though I gleefully admit he has looked much better in the last two games. Hopefully, this is a noticeable new height on an upwards trajectory and not a temporary spike due to the extra snowmaggedon rest.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 03-03-2021

(03-03-2021, 02:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You're on an island on this one

He may be on an island, but he is not alone there :-)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 03-03-2021

(03-03-2021, 03:19 PM)omahen Wrote: He may be on an island, but he is not alone there :-)

I'm sure there are others. Send a flare up if/when you decide to seek rescue.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 03-03-2021

(03-03-2021, 03:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm sure there are others. Send a flare up if/when you decide to seek rescue.

I might leave it at home, sounds like all the fun people are on that island Smile

(03-03-2021, 03:41 PM)omahen Wrote: I might leave it at home, sounds like all the fun people are on that island Smile

Oh, well if you haven't left yet, take food. @"SleepingHero" makes it sound like they're hungry out there.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardShowerVoice - 03-03-2021

(03-03-2021, 02:39 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Maybe.... JUST MAYBE..... KP's mere presence causes opposing teams to react differently, thus opening the offense. Even if he takes dumb shots or isn't hitting them.

AND MAYBE he isn't as bad on defense as we thought. 

Just throwing it out there....

(P.S. KP Island is getting pretty barren. Please send food & water.)

Also, like  ... maybe ... the MBT purposely assembled the team with complementary skillsets so that the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts.   Because that's what front offices are supposed to do when they're evaluating and acquiring players.   

So trading KP only helps  the Mavs if you're trading him for a better player with a similar skillset to KPs.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - michaeltex - 03-03-2021

Soooo...

Let's see how everyone feels after OKC tonight without Luka. At this point-ish, last season we lost Luka for several games and KP just exploded. Could we see that again tonight?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 03-03-2021

(03-03-2021, 04:13 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: So trading KP only helps  the Mavs if you're trading him for a better player with a similar skillset to KPs.

I'd normally agree but I'd take dissimilar skillsets if approximately good if I had faith that the incoming player was prone to better availability.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-04-2021

RE: KP & Luka's Relationship

I am 100% convinced (more than ever) that the KP & Luka relationship is broken right now (beyond repair? hard to say, but seems like that might be the case).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylM9y_i--qI

The interview after the game starts at the 8:30 mark.

KP's answers are dripping with passive aggressiveness and digs at Luka, speaking of "sharing the ball" over and over and how guys "don't get a chance" and how the defense was better because guys were "sharing the ball," and that at some points it didn't even feel like they were missing anyone. Yikes. 

I am inclined to move up my prediction of a KP trade to this trade deadline. This kind of passive aggressive in-fighting cannot be sustained for long without addressing it. I am not sure the Mavs can wait till this summer.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 03-04-2021

Uh oh...

Better enjoy these gems while we can then:

https://youtu.be/EhhSFKgMhlo

https://youtu.be/JRJIf4HO2Ik

Or, my personal favorite:

https://youtu.be/Q2cZG3TgSJY

My take is that he's somewhere in between, but probably closer to Shawn  Sad

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 04:15 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Shawn

?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 03:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: RE: KP & Luka's Relationship

I am 100% convinced (more than ever) that the KP & Luka relationship is broken right now (beyond repair? hard to say, but seems like that might be the case).

KP's answers are dripping with passive aggressiveness and digs at Luka, speaking of "sharing the ball" over and over and how guys "don't get a chance" and how the defense was better because guys were "sharing the ball," and that at some points it didn't even feel like they were missing anyone. Yikes. 

I am inclined to move up my prediction of a KP trade to this trade deadline. This kind of passive aggressive in-fighting cannot be sustained for long without addressing it. I am not sure the Mavs can wait till this summer.

Funny.  I said something very similar this morning...post #8 (even included the same YouTube link.

https://www.mavsboard.com/showthread.php?tid=850

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 03:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: KP's answers are dripping with passive aggressiveness and digs at Luka, speaking of "sharing the ball" over and over and how guys "don't get a chance" and how the defense was better because guys were "sharing the ball," and that at some points it didn't even feel like they were missing anyone. Yikes. 

I mean, sounds like he's been airing it out to at least the coaching staff (probably the FO and maybe Luka too), after we heard some of the rumblings, things did change a bit. 

I think the issue is Luka is all or very little. When he doesn't have the ball in his hands creating, he's not doing much, or just running through the play to get the ball back in his hands.

I'm going back to if this isn't some growth that Luka establishes soon, getting rid of KP might be looked at as he doesn't need to change. If you get in a tiff with your teammate, we'll ship them out and stick up for you. I will say, RC echoes the ball movement thing in many post game interviews. Is he being passive aggressive?

I also want to say, I'm not sticking up for KP in doing this (IF this is indeed a "thing"), he is in the wrong too.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 03:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: KP's answers are dripping with passive aggressiveness and digs at Luka, speaking of "sharing the ball" over and over and how guys "don't get a chance" and how the defense was better because guys were "sharing the ball," and that at some points it didn't even feel like they were missing anyone. Yikes. 

On the one hand, I can kinda see  the "digs" you're talking about. But they're pretty flimsy imo.

For one second, lets pretend we don't know anything about the Mavs and the team as a whole. KP essentially answered in the most generic athlete speak. The question was, 'your teams best player was out how did you win?' "We moved the ball and defended. This team is talented and can survive a guy going down".  Is that really passive aggressive? 

I understand it's not so simple, and the previous remarks from KP make it seem like he's once again being passive aggressive. BUT I can also see this as a generic reply to a generic question, and we're reading WAYYYY to into this.

Put it this way, KP has shown in the past he isn't afraid to be blunt about something that's bothering him. See his replies to not playing enough in the first quarter. He didn't mince words. He didn't make veiled passive aggressive comments. He said in essence "I spoke to the coaching staff about not playing enough and for some reason they're still not playing me enough and I feel I'd be better if I played for longer stretches."

Do we really think KP wouldn't be open to saying how he's not getting enough touches to the media? Sure he wouldn't come out and say "Luka sucks give me the ball". He'd be more professional than that. BUT that's not what he did here. 

And by the way during our delve down the "Trade KP Rabbit hole", the Mavs have won 10 of their last 13 games. As the old adage goes "Winning cures all issues"

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 03:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: RE: KP & Luka's Relationship

I mean I didn't really get any of that after listening to the interview.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dynamicalVoid - 03-04-2021

If that interview is laced with digs...it makes you think about the "it just kind of came out" comment KP made when asked about the trade rumors.  You could suggest the "it just kind of came out" comment was because its KP and his team that are applying pressure to be traded.   There is a slow build up until he actually gets traded...he doesnt want to make teams think he is a hard to deal with...but needs to apply pressure to be traded?

With no knowledge of what if anything is happening behind the scenes...I would like to see KP work out here if possible.

If KP doesnt want to be here because of fit or doesnt like second fiddle...move him.

If he wants to be here but thinks things could be a little different and his suggestions/concerns arent ridiculous...RC, FO or team need to step back and think about it at least.  Im sure that has been done, though.

Kind of funny how KP was not taking every shot last night and was passing the ball regularly....almost to show that he is willing to move the ball or that he would prefer the ball be moved more.   There has to be some issue with him and RC's offense/defense or Luka.  I hope it can be worked out because I think KP, with his flaws, will be hard to replicate.   I know...contract, missed games, defense, maybe Janis and KP apply pressure on teams...but I dont think you easily replace his potential.   I keep saying it...but if there is something going on and it is fixable...I would like to see KP in playoffs before he is moved(if no other injuries of course).

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 05:10 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I mean I didn't really get any of that after listening to the interview.

Me either.  The only thing I thought was that Harp should have phrased the question about "the best player being out" as "one of your best players", it just seems disrespectful to KP.

And even if KP was taking vailed shots, he's not wrong.  Luka is going to need to evolve beyond penetration kick outs, drives to the basket and step back threes.  That's not going to be a fun offense for any 2nd or 3rd start to participate in and it's also going to be hard recipe to make work on a championship level.  KP and probably the whole team would benefit from more ball movement on the offense.  James Harden on the Nets gives me a lot of hope.