MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 02-28-2021

https://twitter.com/RyanMainville/status/1366152649217892356?s=20

This is notable, imo, and his ppp is better in these situations than I realized.

For comparison, look at Drummond. YIKES.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 02-28-2021

(02-28-2021, 05:33 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://twitter.com/RyanMainville/status/1366152649217892356?s=20

This is notable, imo, and his ppp is better in these situations than I realized.

For comparison, look at Drummond. YIKES.

Drummond's more of an outside sniper.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 02-28-2021

(02-28-2021, 05:50 PM)cow Wrote: Drummond's more of an outside sniper.

[Image: 32NC.gif]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - vfromlmf - 03-01-2021

Curious ... KP has now played about 75 games with the Mavs. What has been his best stretch of games and is KP's presence translating to wins?

Mavs are .500 with KP and without KP this year and until the Nets game KP has been terrible on defense so if you're looking for a solid stretch of play, I think you have to look at last season.

People often bring up KP's bubble performance. He has good stats but the Mavs only won two overtime games and lost four. By my count KP fouled out of half the bubble games.

KP also put up solid numbers from Jan 31 through the shutdown last season... that's 15 games but the Mavs were 8-7 over that stretch. Doncic missed 7 of those games and the Mavs were 4-3.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 03-01-2021

KP hasn’t really put it all together yet. Once again, he hasn’t had the benefit of being able to work on his game in a real meaningful way for the last 3 offseasons. There are spurts when he has been beyond all the noise of injuries and game shape that show what he could become. So to answer the above question, there’s not a lot to go off of. In my mind, the playoff series against LaC would have been a ton closer if he stayed healthy and didn’t get hurt the first game. He was also ranked top 10 for his performance in the bubble, that can’t be discounted.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Hypermav - 03-01-2021

https://theathletic.com/2390175/2021/03/01/kristaps-porzingis-injuries-dallas-mavericks-nba/

The recent concerns about Porzingis’ defense mostly focus on his mobility. The lanky center has never been at his best defending on the perimeter, but his lateral quickness this season has seemed to prevent him from reaching shots he used to swat. It’s concerning for a player who recently underwent his second knee surgery — but it’s also not inconceivable it could be explained by the season’s all-around unfortunate circumstances.
One reason for those struggles is an inconsistent defensive stance. It sounds simple, and it is — the first few times. But a player receiving heavy minutes will sink into this defensive position dozens of times per game, which requires mental concentration and, more importantly, physical conditioning. It’s been described as something akin to the common “wall sit” exercise, which quickly exerts the quadriceps and other leg muscles even for someone in good shape.
“It is very challenging (to be in that stance repeatedly),” Carlisle says. “Particularly when you’re 7’3 and you have all this angularity going with your body type.”

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 03-01-2021

From @"Hypermav"'s article above, this nugget caught my eye:

"The specific procedure is understood to be a partial meniscectomy, a diagnosis consistent with Porzingis’ own comments and recovery timeframe. The operation only removes the damaged part of the meniscus, keeping the remainder of the cartilage intact to continue its primary function of absorbing shock in the knee. Porzingizis likened the process of rehabbing his torn ACL to stumbling through a desert with no end in sight. This, comparatively, was an oasis.  Tangible progress was being made every day."

That's disappointing, because a few of us believed through context gained over the off-season that the procedure had been a meniscus repair, and not a meniscus removal.  This explains why he came back so quickly, but it isn't the best case scenario down the road.  

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 03-01-2021

I think it's kinda crazy that Luka and KP haven't developed a 2 man game yet (I mean, it doesn't even look like it's a focus at all). KP needs to learn how to screen appropriately for sure to make it happen, but that was what I thought was the vision when we acquired him.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 03-01-2021

(03-01-2021, 12:18 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think it's kinda crazy that Luka and KP haven't developed a 2 man game yet (I mean, it doesn't even look like it's a focus at all). KP needs to learn how to screen appropriately for sure to make it happen, but that was what I thought was the vision when we acquired him.

I think they're working on it. I just think that type of basketball is relatively new to KP. Gonna take time, I guess. 

Makes you appreciate Dirk/Jet, huh? Teams knew what they were doing for 10 years and couldn't stop them.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 03-01-2021

(03-01-2021, 12:18 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think it's kinda crazy that Luka and KP haven't developed a 2 man game yet (I mean, it doesn't even look like it's a focus at all)

Agreed. I feel there is a serious disconnect there. Luka misses KP wide open at the top of the key multiple times. He still finds an open man, usually in the corner where DFS/Maxi are sitting, so it's not like Luka is making a bad play. But you'd think there'd be an emphasis on finding our 2nd option more.

Is this coaching gameplan thing? Or a Luka preference thing? Either way, it falls on the coaches.

Another thing I'm a bit disappointed in is why doesn't Luka/KP just run a PnR rather a PnPop. 

Like look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-mnVJ1s7g

Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWgD_4o3qAI

Like that pocket pass I feel is there every time for KP. And when you have a 7'3 smooth shooter catching the ball in the middle of the paint like that, it's a very high percentage shot (KP is at an absurd 75% this year at the rim, and was 73% last year).

Why can't we run more of that?? Why is it always a pick and a fade out to the top? (*also ignore the fact that they are Trae videos. They were the only short ones I could find of the play I was looking for)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 03-01-2021

(03-01-2021, 02:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Agreed. I feel there is a serious disconnect there. Luka misses KP wide open at the top of the key multiple times.

I'm not arguing the point as it's what stands out the most, but Luka's court vision is supreme.  I'd change missing him to ignoring him.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-01-2021

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1366578120929771523

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 03-02-2021

His game was pretty meh last night despite an easy matchup. A lot of his rebounds were uncontested defensive rebounds. KP's second half was definitely better but his defense didn't look that great. I do still have hope that KP's defense will get better as the season goes on. I think a lot of it goes back to conditioning not his knees.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - vfromlmf - 03-02-2021

(03-02-2021, 10:32 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: His game was pretty meh last night despite an easy matchup

That tweet was pure PR ... Pumping up his value?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-02-2021

https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1366785998554877958

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - vfromlmf - 03-02-2021

Interesting ... Porzingis on/off stats. 

KP has been bad overall but the Mavs best & most used lineup with JRich, Doncic, DFS, Kleber and KP is +10.8. 

Compared to top teams, Utah and Philly, the Mavs best lineup has been used about 1/3 as often.

In other words, it clearly makes a difference when your best players play together 3x more often than not.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 03-02-2021

(03-02-2021, 03:30 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: best & most used lineup

Yep, according to the NBA.com stats:

121 mins 
ORating: 131.3 (would be the best ORating in the whole NBA, #1 Nets have 117.9)
DRating: 118.9 (would be the worst DRating in the whole NBA, #30 Kings have 118.7)
Net Rating: +12.4

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - michaeltex - 03-03-2021

(03-02-2021, 05:29 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yep, according to the NBA.com stats:

121 mins 
ORating: 131.3 (would be the best ORating in the whole NBA, #1 Nets have 117.9)
DRating: 118.9 (would be the worst DRating in the whole NBA, #30 Kings have 118.7)
Net Rating: +12.4
Of course the Net Rating would be #1 in the whole NBA as well. 35% higher than current #1 (Jazz) and almost double that of the #2 (Bucks). I know it's an apples vs oranges comparison, but if it's working maybe it needs more run. 

Maybe it's not a championship formula, but it sure makes the games fun to watch.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - vfromlmf - 03-03-2021

This is really interesting and surprising. I think it warrants more analysis. 

I think general consensus is the Mavs offense was the best ever last year but this year they've taken a step back. KP along with some role players missed time; and KP hasn't played competent defense since his return. So, maybe it's time to trade KP.

These numbers tell a different story.

These numbers tell us the Mavs starting unit is the best in the NBA but they haven't played together nearly as much as other team's top units, because of COVID and injury rehab.

These numbers indicate the Doncic - JRich - DFS - Kleber - KP lineup is, in fact, off the charts dominant when they play together, and if they hold up in the second half, this team could be hell on wheels in the playoffs and maybe even special.

Interesting.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 03-03-2021

(03-03-2021, 01:03 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: These numbers tell us the Mavs starting unit is the best in the NBA but they haven't played together nearly as much as other team' top units, because of COVID and injury rehab.

These numbers indicate the Doncic - JRich - DFS - Kleber - KP lineup is, in fact, off the charts dominant when they play together, and if they hold up in the second half, this team could be hell on wheels in the playoffs and maybe even special.

This! It only means this unit deserves more time to make a final judgement