MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - dirkfansince1998 - 02-27-2021

(02-27-2021, 01:39 PM)omahen Wrote: Something else. I think several posters before me already posted it nicely. Not opposed to trade him, but only for a package that makes us better.

Better this season? Next season? Longterm?
Trading for a prospect like Wiseman wouldn´t make a big difference this season but it could be a move that turns the Mavs into top contender in 3-4 years.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - Jason Terry - 02-27-2021

(02-27-2021, 01:45 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Better this season? Next season? Longterm?
Trading for a prospect like Wiseman wouldn´t make a big difference this season but it could be a move that turns the Mavs into top contender in 3-4 years.
Which is why it makes sense for both teams. Mavs get a good player that increases our chances 3 and 4 and 5 years from now. Warriors get a guy who will likely peak in his career next year, year 2 and 3. Same peak as Thompson, Curry, Green at the end of their career

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - omahen - 02-27-2021

(02-27-2021, 01:45 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Better this season? Next season? Longterm?

Better now. I think Mavs want to win now, not wait for 2 years before they come to where they are now. 

However in this Wiseman example, there is still a possibility Mavs don't get worse or get even better now, if they get useful guy and Wiseman. Wiggins+Wiseman is not that bad option, if one believes in Wiseman future. Basically Wiggins replaces (current) KP production with bad defense included, while Wiseman is still better than any center we have. Bring in a good PF and the team can be better now.

I still hate that Griffin, Bey, Stewart trade idea of yours Smile

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - cow - 02-27-2021

Winning now isn't a puzzle that can be solved no matter how many trades we make.  I agree that is the MBT desire as they've always shown they have no patience for developing players and/or losing.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - dirkfansince1998 - 02-27-2021

(02-27-2021, 02:18 PM)omahen Wrote: Better now. I think Mavs want to win now, not wait for 2 years before they come to where they are now. 

However in this Wiseman example, there is still a possibility Mavs don't get worse or get even better now, if they get useful guy and Wiseman. Wiggins+Wiseman is not that bad option, if one believes in Wiseman future. Basically Wiggins replaces (current) KP production with bad defense included, while Wiseman is still better than any center we have. Bring in a good PF and the team can be better now.

I still hate that Griffin, Bey, Stewart trade idea of yours Smile

Wiggins defense is better than it used to be with the T`Wolves.  Question is if this is about Draymond´s on court coaching and the Warriors system or him improving as a player. Feels like any player with a defensive reputation looks like a mediocre defender in Dallas.

Wiggins value has gone up, certainly.  But I think that is a bit of fools gold and could easily regress on another team with a different system/coaching staff.  I still view him as a negative asset due to his contract and I wouldn't pay anything for him especially with GSW's tax situation.  

I don't really have an opinion on Wiseman as I haven't seen him play.  If the MBT desire is a Wiseman for KP swap and we have to eat Wiggins' contract to get that done, we need to make them eat Powell.

(02-27-2021, 02:31 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Question is if this is about Draymond´s on court coaching and the Warriors system or him improving as a player. Feels like any player with a defensive reputation looks like a mediocre defender in Dallas.

Mavs certainly need a defensive leader. So many times they look like a broken army, no communication. Especially in transition defense. This is the area where I think a good vet like Lowry/Horford would bring a huge difference. Something that is not in the stats.

Look at this brain freeze. DFS leaves more or less "can't miss if open shooter" to go towards Embiid he couldn't catch anyway... JRich looked totally off guard with DFS move. Not that it would help if he would rotate, as it would just leave Green wide open in the corner with no one left to rotate. 

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameEventID=67&GameID=0022000498&Season=2020-21&flag=1&title=Curry%2026%27%203PT%20Jump%20Shot%20(3%20PTS)%20(Embiid%201%20AST)&sct=plot

(02-27-2021, 02:43 PM)cow Wrote: If the MBT desire is a Wiseman for KP swap and we have to eat Wiggins' contract to get that done, we need to make them eat Powell.

I think the only factor is how Mavs see Wiseman. If they think he is great, than I wouldn't push it with Powell. But if they think he is just ok, than I am not sure I would even do the trade, even if GSW takes Powell.

(02-27-2021, 02:44 PM)omahen Wrote: I think the only factor is how Mavs see Wiseman. If they think he is great, than I wouldn't push it with Powell. But if they think he is just ok, than I am not sure I would even do the trade, even if GSW takes Powell.

I know KP's value is low and all, but Wiseman (+) and Wiggins (-) just seems lopsided.

If it did happen, I think that closes the door on us competing for a title for the length of Wiggins contract.  My next move would be to get on the phone with Houston or Washington and offer up our expirings for Wall/Westrbrook and try to get some picks out of the deal.

(02-27-2021, 02:52 PM)cow Wrote: My next move would be to get on the phone with Houston or Washington and offer up our expirings for Wall/Westrbrook and try to get some picks out of the deal.

I would actually be intrigued by Wall, but Westbrook is a disaster for any team and I don't want to have him, no matter how many picks would be attached. 

A proposal I made a couple of days ago: KP+Johnson for Wall and Woods. 

P.S.: I am not sure how his health is, but OPJ should be crazy cheap.

(02-27-2021, 02:58 PM)omahen Wrote: I would actually be intrigued by Wall, but Westbrook is a disaster for any team and I don't want to have him, no matter how many picks would be attached. 

A proposal I made a couple of days ago: KP+Johnson for Wall and Woods. 

P.S.: I am not sure how his health is, but OPJ should be crazy cheap.

I don't see Wall/Westbrooks as win now moves.  They are there to rebuild the war chest and allow you to stay as competitive as your are today.  The hope is that Wisemen, Luka and assets attained from that move are the core once Wiggins & Wall/Westbrook expire.  

I don't mind Westbrook.  He might not be a championship level player but he gives maximum effort and does great community work.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 02-27-2021

https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1365732157222752256

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - Mavs2021 - 02-27-2021

Upside projection is not a Mavs thing. No way would they trade for Wiseman even if he was on the table.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 02-27-2021

(02-27-2021, 03:28 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1365732157222752256

NICE! I expect KP to have a great game tonight.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - StepBackJay - 02-27-2021

(02-27-2021, 02:44 PM)omahen Wrote: Mavs certainly need a defensive leader. So many times they look like a broken army, no communication. Especially in transition defense. This is the area where I think a good vet like Lowry/Horford would bring a huge difference. Something that is not in the stats.

Look at this brain freeze. DFS leaves more or less "can't miss if open shooter" to go towards Embiid he couldn't catch anyway... JRich looked totally off guard with DFS move. Not that it would help if he would rotate, as it would just leave Green wide open in the corner with no one left to rotate. 

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameEventID=67&GameID=0022000498&Season=2020-21&flag=1&title=Curry%2026%27%203PT%20Jump%20Shot%20(3%20PTS)%20(Embiid%201%20AST)&sct=plot

I think the only factor is how Mavs see Wiseman. If they think he is great, than I wouldn't push it with Powell. But if they think he is just ok, than I am not sure I would even do the trade, even if GSW takes Powell.

If Mavs don't think Wiseman is great then they aren't doing a deal at all. They will have other options including just keeping KP. It's hard for me to think Rick and team doesn't see the value of a talent like Wiseman.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Fuerza1 - 02-27-2021

I voted to trade him ASAP. KP is not a star. He is not an all-NBA defender. He is not a winner. He is making MAX money. 

He is a 7'3 twig who is always hurt. It's like Yao Ming who had a short career, you can't bet against basic biomechanics long term. He is a ticking time bomb and trading him now is our best shot to not be left with the ashes. 

Reminds me of Parsons who could never survive a full season, always nagging injuries, unavailable come playoff time. KP had several months of preparation before the Bubble started then 2 playoff games later he is sidelined for 6 months. Now he has over a week off and gets hurt doing nothing (or is it a fake injury?). 

MBT are trying to trade him, and rightfully so. I just hope it gets done sooner rather than later.

(02-27-2021, 03:52 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: If Mavs don't think Wiseman is great then they aren't doing a deal at all. They will have other options including just keeping KP. It's hard for me to think Rick and team doesn't see the value of a talent like Wiseman.

MBT are typically impatient which is why I think Wiseman is probably not the most desired outcome for them.  Or maybe they've finally wised up (free pun) and realized where the roster is as far as being contenders?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ballsrchr - 02-27-2021

Something else!  We can never know what is happening on the back channels...but:

I have lingering fears about the fragility of KP...and I believe this will always be a problem.

What is best for the team?  A healthy KP...of course!

What does KP want?

Play KP effectively, and he is not...being played effectively (when he plays).  In KP...RC is trying to recreate Dirk...and that will never happen.  KP has no post play, ie: posting out too far and has the back down power, or resistance, of a gangly scarecrow.  More learned persons can come up with more and better examples.

KP is not, and never will be, a defensive juggernaut.  Give him some help!  Come up with schemes and help defense that will cover his shortcomings.  Sure...he can have a great defensive game in spurts...but we need it all game, every game.  In my opinion Maxi is the best defensive player on the team, but he is spread a little thin and struggling right now after the covid stuff.  What ever happened to play the ball?  I don't know how many times I've seen a player drop off the ball to cover "their" man...only to allow a straight lane to the basket.  Help defense?  Not on that court.

I get side tracked...

Man...there are just too many variables to say whether I would trade him.  Investigate?  Certainly.

The only person I wouldn't trade under the right conditions is Luka.  And I'm getting a little nervous about how happy he is on this team...

I'm done...can't keep up...too many irons in the fire...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 02-27-2021

(02-27-2021, 04:41 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: KP has no post play, ie: posting out too far and has the back down power, or resistance, of a gangly scarecrow.  More learned persons can come up with more and better examples.

This KP post move is his signature move. He always played like this, not RC "forcing him". RC would actually love for KP to stop with this move.

Below was perhaps best eurobasket game I ever watched. KP was posting up basically everytime and he was deadly at that time (not just this game). Look how comfortable and unstoppable he is scoring from those position. Whether it is better defenders in NBA or he regressed, but his posting up look awful now. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFg2qDBugeU

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 02-27-2021

(02-27-2021, 04:50 PM)omahen Wrote: This KP post move is his signature move. He also played like this, not RC "forcing him". RC would actually love for KP to stop with this move.

Below was perhaps best eurobasket game I ever watched. KP was posting up basically everytime and he was deadly at that time (not just this game). Look how comfortable and unstoppable he is scoring from those position. Whether it is better defenders in NBA or he regressed, but his posting up look awful now. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFg2qDBugeU

Better athletes as defenders certainly help as they get into his airspace and bother him.  And from a defenders perspective, I'd definitely sell out as there is little chance of a blow by.  

I know KP has mentioned the coaching staff asking him to shoot more threes and someone asking him about his Duncan like bank shots and him alluding to the coaching staff not putting him in those situations.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 02-27-2021

(02-27-2021, 05:16 PM)cow Wrote: I know KP has mentioned the coaching staff asking him to shoot more threes and someone asking him about his Duncan like bank shots and him alluding to the coaching staff not putting him in those situations.

Yes, this was said. But as I said, he also looks awful when he tries his post ups now. Out of control, no confidence. So coaches (now) are quite right telling him not to do it Smile