MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - StepBackJay - 02-27-2021

I don't think the issues are with his current medicals but rather potential for him to get injured in the future + the high maintenance factor. Like what if his brother is calling up Rick to complain ab his usage? Maybe that doesn't happen or maybe it does, we have no insight. Those stories tend to leak out once the player is gone. If the Mavs do end up selling "low" you might see some of these stories come out pretty quick to save face.

Mavs took a good risk to get KP here, basically it was 2 picks. His value is not lower than what they gave up. I think the opportunity cost was there to an extent because there is a better than zero chance that Vucevic was gettable that offseason. If we knew that for certain we could say it was not a good trade bc you could have had Vuc for just a contract but we don't know what would have happened.

I think 100 times out of a 100 you do that KP deal. Everything was looking great in the bubble and into the first round until KP hurt his knee. Now it's unclear. Is he just going to take more time to get back to where he was or is his body falling apart? No idea.

I do believe tho that Mavs are shopping him bc they understand that his fit isn't perfect and that combined with him being high maintenance and injury prone is worth testing the market.

(02-27-2021, 08:28 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: OTOH what can we get for him? Is he in the Russ/Wall territory where all you get is another bad contract? Or we can get some value for him? 

There is just no way he is in Russ/Wall territory. No way. Could he get there? Yes. There is risk that the longer this goes on where he doesn't look right on defense especially that it hampers his value. Offensively his stats are still good. He still does things that 7'3 guys don't do.

I just think this board is overstating his perceived "negative value."

I promise you if he was on another team doing what he was doing our board would be all over trying to trade for him (w/the exception of Kamm who doesn't like NBA players who have ever been injured).

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - ItsGoTime - 02-27-2021

I voted other because IF his value is that of what some are saying around here, I don't trade him til it has recovered or surpassed. I'm ok with the KP experiment to be over because of the injury concern and possible attitude issues (can't really know about those, only read the tea leaves), but I am not ok with getting pennies on the dollar for him to go to another team and fully recover to become a superstar.

@"Kammrath" I don't like the poll because it misses the one option most of us would want which is trade KP if the right package comes along. Like if teams are just going to give you garbage, there is no reason to not just hold onto KP. Mavs don't need to take a downgrade in talent just to "dump" KP.

However if the Warriors give you Wiseman because they want a win-now player I am pulling the trigger on that trade right now.

And that's essentially how Mavs should be with their whole roster sans Luka. This difference is that previously the untouchables were probably Luka and KP. Now Luka is the only guy you would not trade.

Yes there is risk that KP's value goes down not up over time but if all I am getting are garbage trade offers anyway then I would rather bet on KP getting better. I do believe he will improve as he gets more into shape.

(02-27-2021, 08:44 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I voted other because IF his value is that of what some are saying around here, I don't trade him til it has recovered or surpassed. I'm ok with the KP experiment to be over because of the injury concern and possible attitude issues (can't really know about those, only read the tea leaves), but I am not ok with getting pennies on the dollar for him to go to another team and fully recover to become a superstar.

The fit thing is real because KP just doesn't do enough offensively for me if he isn't going to be a force defensively. We already have Maxi who can shoot outside and play defense. If KP is going to mostly pick and pop then I think Luka is better served with an elite rim roller who rebounds and plays defense (assuming we can get one).

Maybe we solve for that by keeping KP but also getting Harrell to give Luka a better roll man off the bench than Powell.

(02-27-2021, 08:49 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: The fit thing is real because KP just doesn't do enough offensively for me if he isn't going to be a force defensively. We already have Maxi who can shoot outside and play defense. If KP is going to mostly pick and pop then I think Luka is better served with an elite rim roller who rebounds and plays defense (assuming we can get one).
I think these are the types of things that get better with time and development of a player who has been in the league for 6 years and hasn't had the benefit of the last 3 offseasons to develop in a major way like other young guys have.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - Chicagojk - 02-27-2021

I am against a KP trade now.  IMO KP here gives us the best possible route to a championship.  Sure there is risk due to health, but I would be surprised if a trade now would bring a better route to a title.   I don't want to trade him until we get the guy I envision to pair next to KP.   I just want one guy (besides Boban and Luka) who is not finesse.    My wants for the guy to pair with KP is long.  I will probably need to compromise on some of my wants, but I want to see this type of player before making my decision on KP.

I do think the Mavs came to the conclusion when KP got hurt in the bubble that they cannot count on him to be your second star and can't build the team around Luka and KP and fill the rest of the team with complimentary players.    The Mavs need to protect themselves from KP injury.   They need someone who can be your second best player and sort of count on KP as a wildcard.   If he is healthy, KP can play as your second star.  If he is hurt or compromised, the Mavs need ways to be able to get thru these stretches.  Ideally, this player would be a guy who could create his own shots (Derozan type).   

So for me, Keep KP.   Find a better fit with KP at PF.  Find a guy who can be your second/third best player.   And hopefully keep our depth/young rookies.  That is the path I want to take.   Getting there is difficult though.

Man, Favors would look so good here right now.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - dirkfansince1998 - 02-27-2021

(02-27-2021, 09:10 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Man, Favors would look so good here right now.

Big part of the Jazz success this season. They obviously have 2x DPOY of the year Gobert but even when he leaves the floor they really don´t lose a lot on defense. Favors himself ranked among the best defenders in the league in the last couple of seasons. Jazz defense last year wasn´t what it used to be and the Pelicans defense this year is clearly worse without him.
Not sure how it will translate in the playoffs but in the regular season 48 minutes of elite rim protection and rebounding from the center position make a big difference. With Azubuike they drafted another talented center that can replace one of them in the future. Best team in the league when it comes to talent evaluation for bigman.

(02-27-2021, 09:10 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Man, Favors would look so good here right now.

Mavs disinterest in Favors the last couple of years has been frustrating bc he was very gettable and you would think a great fit next to KP.

(02-27-2021, 09:48 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Mavs disinterest in Favors the last couple of years has been frustrating bc he was very gettable and you would think a great fit next to KP.
To me, it's telling.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - Hypermav - 02-27-2021

Hold onto him.  I would trade him for Beal.  (pipe dream)

*If he is a for sure documented locker room cancer, then trade him as soon as practical.  I see no real evidence of this right now.

*I ask unanimous consent to revise and extend my remarks in the future. Smile

(02-27-2021, 09:06 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am against a KP trade now.  IMO KP here gives us the best possible route to a championship.  Sure there is risk due to health, but I would be surprised if a trade now would bring a better route to a title.   I don't want to trade him until we get the guy I envision to pair next to KP.   I just want one guy (besides Boban and Luka) who is not finesse.    My wants for the guy to pair with KP is long.  I will probably need to compromise on some of my wants, but I want to see this type of player before making my decision on KP.

I do think the Mavs came to the conclusion when KP got hurt in the bubble that they cannot count on him to be your second star and can't build the team around Luka and KP and fill the rest of the team with complimentary players.    The Mavs need to protect themselves from KP injury.   They need someone who can be your second best player and sort of count on KP as a wildcard.   If he is healthy, KP can play as your second star.  If he is hurt or compromised, the Mavs need ways to be able to get thru these stretches.  Ideally, this player would be a guy who could create his own shots (Derozan type).   

So for me, Keep KP.   Find a better fit with KP at PF.  Find a guy who can be your second/third best player.   And hopefully keep our depth/young rookies.  That is the path I want to take.   Getting there is difficult though.

A guy that would help and is available but I don't think Mavs would get is Al Horford. Mavs would send Powell in the deal so we wouldn't be taking on all that money. Mavs cherish cap space above all else so I don't think they would do it but he's a guy you could get.

(02-27-2021, 09:54 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: A guy that would help and is available but I don't think Mavs would get is Al Horford. Mavs would send Powell in the deal so we wouldn't be taking on all that money. Mavs cherish cap space above all else so I don't think they would do it but he's a guy you could get.
Not against Al, but we would need more than just getting off Powell's contract from them and I don't think they're interested in that

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - Jason Terry - 02-27-2021

Something else. We can’t afford to do a bad contract swap just to trade him if that’s all that’s out there. In that case i would wait till the summer. 

Minimum i would need now:
1) starter quality front court player 
2) another asset or player to be used for upgrade 

So we would end up with a better fitting starter and some sort of ability to flip something else in conjunction with our low level assets into another starter.

Essentially KP plus non-rotation assets plus non-FRP’s for a brand new front court(2 players)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - LukTheShadow - 02-27-2021

KP on Poll on Mavsboard (and trade KP rumors around):

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1365398511890685954

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - vfromlmf - 02-27-2021

My question is who would be surprised if KP were traded and went on to average 28/10 or even 30/12 on another team? I wouldn't be surprised at all. The Mavs have been through this when everyone wanted to trade Dirk after he was exposed in the playoffs.

You only trade KP if you can get another transcendental talent.

(02-27-2021, 12:04 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: My question is who would be surprised if KP were traded and went on to average 28/10 or even 30/12 on another team?
Not me, one bit. Add to those stats 2.5 blocks. Not that he will get there here, but there is no doubt in my mind if we were to trade him that would happen.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - vfromlmf - 02-27-2021

Have to say ... after watching that clip it sure seems like there's something going on. 

It's telling what KP didn't say. He didn't say the trade rumors were "news to him". And he didn't say he wanted to be in Dallas. 

He did say "it kinda, like, came out and it is what it is"

He said "I don't know what's going on behind the scenes"

Watch his eyes after he says it is what it is. Then again as he thinks about what to say next.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | NEW POLL - omahen - 02-27-2021

Something else. I think several posters before me already posted it nicely. Not opposed to trade him, but only for a package that makes us better.