MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ItsGoTime - 02-11-2021

Also by that time, John Collins will have had plenty of continuity with the two of them as the vocal locker room alpha!  Tongue

(02-11-2021, 02:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: lol, yep. That's the worry.
I'm not fully worried yet, but there are trades that I would do.

Man, I really wish that Oladipo and Turner trade for KP and filler happened this last offseason!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - dirkfansince1998 - 02-11-2021

(02-11-2021, 02:34 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: But you see what I mean regarding the rhetoric around KP? It's either he's apart of the future, or a garbage player that should be a 6th man if we're lucky. No in between.

But that´s actually the case. The bubble and playoff version of KP is a legit star player. Current KP is a net negative. High ceiling. Low floor.

pre allstar: 46 games: 18/9 54% TS
post allstar 15 games 26/11 58% TS
playoffs: 3 games 24/9 71% TS
this season: 15 games 20/8 55% TS

missed 29 regular season games and 3 playoff games.

Obviously a flawed/simplified formula but we have 111 total games.

KP missed 28.8%
KP played mediocre/bad 54.9%
KP played good/great 16.2%

We obviously have to consider that KP was/is recovering from injuries. But overall that´s not exactly max player production. Can we assume that we will see more of bubble/playoff KP if he can stay healthy? Maybe. Can he actually stay healthy? Maybe. So far he had two freak contact injuries but the history of 7ft+  guys with knee issues isn´t looking promising.

Bottom line: It´s not the time to make the final judgment on KPs future but we have to be honest. So far he hasn´t lived up to his contract. He also hasn´t been the reliable 2nd option most of us expected him to be.
At some point just  a few years ago he was in the conversation with Towns, Davis and Embiid. People expected him to be the next dominant bigman. No one was even mentioning Jokic. That´s the player the Mavs traded for.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Kammrath - 02-12-2021

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1360425856728973312

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ThisIStheYear - 02-13-2021

The offense will come and go.  I can appreciate that, and it’s a great bonus to get dynamic scoring potential from the center position.  But, KP’s real value, like for any max contract center, lives and dies with consistent defense and the ability to at least hold his own on the boards. Still not seeing that, even though Zinger has been a plus defender in his career. Until then, it’s like having a good bat, no glove shortstop. The good news is that better performance on offense may be a harbinger of better health and thus better movement in the defensive end.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Jason Terry - 02-13-2021

(02-11-2021, 02:34 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Case in point:

I don't even know where this is coming from. KP is an elite rim protector. He was 10th in the NBA in rim defense. He's 6th right now in the NBA. He had 48 games last year with 2 or more blocks. He averaged a career high 9.5rpg and the Mavs as a team ranked 4th in total rebounds last year (Though advanced stats paint the team as a whole as an above average rebounding team not elite).

He can't guard the perimeter effectively consistently which is a valid criticism. 

But you see what I mean regarding the rhetoric around KP? It's either he's apart of the future, or a garbage player that should be a 6th man if we're lucky. No in between.
Maybe the language around his rim protection should be that he’s average. Not elite or terrible. I’m not sure what numbers you’re looking at but was curious:

So, nba.com. Took the rim defense data(under 6ft). Put on a filter weeding out anyone who faces less than 6 attempts per game(that removed around 15 part time rim protectors). 23 players meet this criteria. 

KP is 12th in defended FG% and differential. 52.9%. Actually tied with Ibaka but I’ll give KP the advantage since his differential is better

AD is a name i was surprised to see near the end, but the others are who you would expect. Sabonis, Jokic, Plumlee, Vuc

Top 10 are: Turner(43.8%), Allen, Theis, Lopez, Ayton, Capela, Embiid, Gobert, Valanciunas, Nurkic

Special shout out to Poeltl from the spurs, Giannis and Bam who are maybe so good that teams have stopped going at them 

It’s been mentioned elsewhere, but KP’s help/weak side rim defense is what the eye test shows he’s not performing well at either. Not sure if there’s an advanced stat for that?!?!? Boxing out is part of the problem too. 

Last season I totally agree with you. He looked great in most games. He totally anchored our D and did well protecting the rim. That’s what makes it so frustrating. Hopefully this is him just being careful not to do too much coming back from injury. At some point though he will need to show up with effort on that end nightly. Our season depends on it

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - omahen - 02-13-2021

(02-13-2021, 10:48 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Last season I totally agree with you. He looked great in most games. He totally anchored our D and did well protecting the rim. That’s what makes it so frustrating. Hopefully this is him just being careful not to do too much coming back from injury. At some point though he will need to show up with effort on that end nightly. Our season depends on it

It is also so obvious just by the eye test. Defense looks totally different for most of the time when WCS (or Powell) is in, because he brings energy and effort.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - omahen - 02-13-2021

I don't know why, but KP just looks so burdened with his offensive performance. Always worries how he contributes. His every statement this year is basically connected to improving offensively. "I need more minutes to get going", "I take quick shots to get in rhytm",... Like he is in contract year. Like he is affraid he will never see the ball again if he doesn't quickly shoot it. With the way he is playing, he would fit more as a super scoring boost 6th man. But, Mavs need more from him as a starter. 

I am not saying he is selfish by nature, I think he genuinly thinks he will help team best by being him best self on offense. I think it is troubling him a lot that he has come back rusty because of injury two seasons in a row and is frustrated he doesn't give what he thinks he is able to give. True, Mavs need best offensive KP. But Mavs need rim protecting KP from last season too. Perhaps this frustration is affecting his defensive effort. I hope. Because than D will improve once he calms himselfs.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ClutchDirk - 02-13-2021

(02-13-2021, 12:05 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't know why, but KP just looks so burdened with his offensive performance. Always worries how he contributes. His every statement this year is basically connected to improving offensively. "I need more minutes to get going", "I take quick shots to get in rhytm",... Like he is in contract year. Like he is affraid he will never see the ball again if he doesn't quickly shoot it. With the way he is playing, he would fit more as a super scoring boost 6th man. But, Mavs need more from him as a starter. 

I am not saying he is selfish by nature, I think he genuinly thinks he will help team best by being him best self on offense. I think it is troubling him a lot that he has come back rusty because of injury two seasons in a row and is frustrated he doesn't give what he thinks he is able to give. True, Mavs need best offensive KP. But Mavs need rim protecting KP from last season too. Perhaps this frustration is affecting his defensive effort. I hope. Because than D will improve once he calms himselfs.
One of the most honest and realistic critiques I have read...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - dirkfansince1998 - 02-13-2021

I think most uf us underestimated the impact of his injury. When KP returned last season he was in the best physical shape of his career. He had month to prepare for the season and it was more about him getting back in rhythm because he hadn´t played 5v5 basketball for more than a year.

This time he had surgery and made his comeback three month later. He had no offseason to work on his body. Just talking about athleticism he looks a lot worse than his bubble self. No lateral quickness, no explosiveness. With the tight schedule he really has no time to work on those issues.
I don´t think it will stay this way. As I already mentioned multiple times. I think he needs a long offseason to hone his craft and get his body back in the best possible shape.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Thukydides - 02-14-2021

my goodness, I thought everything was gone as I couldn´t get to the old site anymore on my phone. So here I am stating that KP is an atrocious defender and almost solely responsible for that huge drop off in defense. The way he shies away from doing dirty work in the paint and his inability of moving his feet is frightening. Let´s hope this gets better as he plays himself back into shape, but we might have a huge issue on our hands here. 

And let me be very clear: If this doesn´t improve, I want to see him being traded ASAP. Find someone who buys into him, because with this version of KP on defense there´s NO WAY to win a title. That´s the sad truth. 

To finish on a positive note: he opens the game up so much, he´s also almost solely responsible for taking this offense to historic heights. 

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ThisIStheYear - 02-14-2021

Gawd. Still reading about Zinger needing to get back in shape? And taking the offense to new heights? Lol. He was always overrated but with a high ceiling.  Now, he hasn’t made progress and it seems the modern game has just passed him by.  I heard Ainge say he’s looking for shooting with size.  The Mavs need to make a deal and reset their roster. They’ve got to do something. Time is running out.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - KillerLeft - 02-14-2021

(02-14-2021, 11:19 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Gawd. Still reading about Zinger needing to get back in shape? And taking the offense to new heights? Lol. He was always overrated but with a high ceiling.  Now, he hasn’t made progress and it seems the modern game has just passed him by.  I heard Ainge say he’s looking for shooting with size.  The Mavs need to make a deal and reset their roster. They’ve got to do something. Time is running out.

I agree.

I would do KP for Brown in a NY minute, but that won’t happen.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SwisherPrice - 02-14-2021

Yeah Porzingis isn't the answer. I tried to like him but I just don't see it...and a lot of it isn't really his fault. He just came in the league about 5-10 years too late.

In today's small ball league, he is just too much of a defensive liability and a below-average rebounder so that really cancels out his offensive contributions.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ClutchDirk - 02-14-2021

https://tenor.com/wY9E.gif

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ThisIStheYear - 02-15-2021

(02-14-2021, 11:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree.

I would do KP for Brown in a NY minute, but that won’t happen.

It’s not that the Zinger trade was a loss, even if he’s not working out. The Mavs have THJ who’s been better than expected, mostly. And the Mavs gave up very little. Even if they don’t get a premium player coming back, that trade would still be in the plus column. They can get more than Smith and a couple of non premium picks I think.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - dirkfansince1998 - 02-15-2021

Summary of KPs season.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ItsGoTime - 02-15-2021

I'm gonna stay patient with him even if you guys want to pull out the pitch forks. First, I don't think he'd get all that much on the trade market because if he would, I think we hear about more rumors than we have (we have 1 article talking about him for a very miniscule return). That article has sobered me up a bit about what we could get for him. 

I see where others want to trade him before he gets injured yet again, cause that would pretty much be the nail in the coffin for him and if you believe he's just gonna inevitably be injured and out for a long time, I don't fault anyone for that thought process.

I'm seeing the same things the most negative are with him, I just believe with health, time and putting in the work, those things correct themselves for him (I assume the coaches are seeing the same flaws and are working with him on them and he is receptive to the criticism, since...that is why he's getting paid the big bucks...to get to being worthy of that contract because I certainly hope the FO didn't think his body of work warranted the contract he got).

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - StepBackJay - 02-15-2021

Dude just needs to play better

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - HanspardShowerVoice - 02-15-2021

(02-15-2021, 12:55 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I'm gonna stay patient with him even if you guys want to pull out the pitch forks. First, I don't think he'd get all that much on the trade market because if he would, I think we hear about more rumors than we have (we have 1 article talking about him for a very miniscule return). That article has sobered me up a bit about what we could get for him. 

I see where others want to trade him before he gets injured yet again, cause that would pretty much be the nail in the coffin for him and if you believe he's just gonna inevitably be injured and out for a long time, I don't fault anyone for that thought process.

I'm seeing the same things the most negative are with him, I just believe with health, time and putting in the work, those things correct themselves for him (I assume the coaches are seeing the same flaws and are working with him on them and he is receptive to the criticism, since...that is why he's getting paid the big bucks...to get to being worthy of that contract because I certainly hope the FO didn't think his body of work warranted the contract he got).   

That's where I am too.   The reality is you're not getting a potential star for KP, you're probably trading him off for a poo poo playter of overpaid role players that add up to $28 million or a bad contract on a washed up player. No one is drinking the KP Kool Aid here, but the reality is the goal should be to acquire star caliber talent to surround Luka with and the Mavs best current chance is for KP to achieve his ceiling ... not trading him off for a bunch of bit role player parts, which is just really spinning our organizational wheels.     Yes, we're not winning the NBA Championship with this version of KP, but we're also not winning an NBA Championship with Luka and a bunch of role players. 

Also, fortunes change quickly in the NBA.   A year ago at this time, Embiid was regarded a primadonna who wouldn't get into shape and would always be an injury risk.   Now he's a legit MVP Candidate, mainly because he's had an extended period of health and has been allowed to work on his game.   The Mavs best chance of adding a 2nd star is if KP stays healthy enough in an offseason that he can actually spend a few months working on new aspects of his game in the gym, not just rehabbing and building up strength in an injured leg in a trainer's room.  Big men take longer to develop than other positions, and particularly big men who are always rehabbing injuries every offseason rather than working on their game.   And even if you're deadset on trading KP, the only way you're getting value for him is if he can demonstrate that he can stay healthy for longer than 3 months at a time.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ItsGoTime - 02-15-2021

(02-15-2021, 02:15 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: And even if you're deadset on trading KP, the only way you're getting value for him is if he can demonstrate that he can stay healthy for longer than 3 months at a time.
This is my thing. I would trade him if someone saw value in him. I just can't see why others would see value in him til he's healthy for an extended period of time. Like I said, if he gets another big injury before the end of this season, IMO he's probably done as a player, and definitely done as a trade asset.