MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SleepingHero - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 09:22 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: Yeah I know and both involved him falling to the ground. He does fall a lot in most games and that could be due to the strength in his legs. 

I like KP as a player but I am just not sure if gambling on his health based off of the data we have now is worth risking 30% of our cap for. 

You can't plan against contact injuries. They're apart of the sport. It sucks but it happens. It's not KP's fault that Giannis landed on his knee and tore his ACL. It's not KP's fault that Morris or Zubac landed on his other knee and tore his meniscus. 
It's not gambling to recognize that.

If these were non-contact injuries, I.E Powell's achilles, or Rose's ACL, thats a different story. But it isn't.

Though I don't think I could change your mind anyways and this point will probably fall on deaf ears. To be fair, KP's long term health is a concern. It remains to be seen if he can avoid these type of injuries. Its fair to acknowledge the risk associated with that. But you also have to be fair and recognize that the hand that's been dealt to KP has been incredibly unlucky.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Kammrath - 02-01-2021

Mavs are 3-9 since KP came back....

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ThisIStheYear - 02-01-2021

Not horrible tonight. Not great but he played like a center and wasn’t the reason for another terrible performance by the team.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Scott41theMavs - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 11:00 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Mavs are 3-9 since KP came back....

What does that mean to you as an observer?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - omahen - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 11:00 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Mavs are 3-9 since KP came back....

Mavs are 3-9 since Covid struck...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Scott41theMavs - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 11:00 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Not horrible tonight. Not great but he played like a center and wasn’t the reason for another terrible performance by the team.

No one seems to be attacking Luka for all the shots he missed in the fourth. He makes a couple of those, we win. I'm not attacking Luka. I just think that the KP frustration is getting out of hand, such that people nit-pick his game to make him the reason we lost when, no, he wasn't.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Kammrath - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 11:00 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: What does that mean to you as an observer?

My observations:

1) He is shooting below 30% from three.

2) His PER is basically the worst of his career.

3) His on/off is by far the worst on the team with -7.9.

4) His defense, though a little bit better tonight, is the worst I have ever seen. 

5) His chemistry with Luka is poor, they are NOT complementing each other in any natural way. 

6) He is playing really poorly (one of the worst on the team) and is the highest paid player on the team. 

My overall observation: His presence is NOT helping winning right now. 

I sure hope that changes quick or the MBT is going to have some serious decisions to make.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - dirkfansince1998 - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 11:02 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: No one seems to be attacking Luka for all the shots he missed in the fourth. He makes a couple of those, we win. I'm not attacking Luka. I just think that the KP frustration is getting out of hand, such that people nit-pick his game to make him the reason we lost when, no, he wasn't.

Luka had a mediocre game but he isn´t a liability on defense. KPs pick and roll defense is a big problem. His rebounding is even worse. Mavs needed just one boxout from him and he couldn´t do it.
Not to mention that he screws up the spacing because he tries to post up way to much.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ThisIStheYear - 02-01-2021

Luka played a meh game. KP wasn’t good tonight but not the reason for the loss. Phoenix played a good game and the Mavs broke down mentally and lost a must win game really. They’re just losing touch and don’t have any cards to play.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SwisherPrice - 02-01-2021

Yeah I'm done with KP. They can keep him (not like they have much choice) but I know not to expect greatness out of him. Just too limited in today's perimeter-based game. As soon as he begins losing his athleticism (which could be sooner than you think), he will face a big decline.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Fuerza1 - 02-01-2021

KP was fine tonight, and I wouldn't scapegoat him for tonight's loss. However, fine is not going to cut it most nights, especially when you are paid like a superstar player yet are not even in the conversation for all-star snubs or all-defense. 

Might be best to cut him loose before it is too late. Albatross worth of money remaining left on that contract; just something to think about.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - dirkfansince1998 - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 11:39 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: KP was fine tonight, and I wouldn't scapegoat him for tonight's loss. However, fine is not going to cut it most nights, especially when you are paid like a superstar player yet are not even in the conversation for all-star snubs or all-defense. 

Might be best to cut him loose before it is too late. Albatross worth of money remaining left on that contract; just something to think about.

Fine means he was bad but not alltime bad? 19/10, average TS% with 3 blocks looks okay on paper. 4 tov and only 1 ast. Not good but it happens. Watch the game and realize that the entire Suns offense was based on CP3 or Booker attacking him in the pick and roll and things look a lot worse. Realize that KP once again failed to boxout the opposing big (including the most important possession of the game) and we are approaching the all time bad category again.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Fuerza1 - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 11:53 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Fine means he was bad but not alltime bad? 19/10, average TS% with 3 blocks looks okay on paper. 4 tov and only 1 ast. Not good but it happens. Watch the game and realize that the entire Suns offense was based on CP3 or Booker attacking him in the pick and roll and things look a lot worse. Realize that KP once again failed to boxout the opposing big (including the most important possession of the game) and we are approaching the all time bad category again.

Ah, the old "watch the game" trope. Carry on.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - dirkfansince1998 - 02-02-2021

(02-01-2021, 11:56 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Ah, the old "watch the game" trope. Carry on.

Maybe you can enlighten me with your own observations instead of going for a cheap troll attempt. If that´s all you have to offer you are right. I will carry on and ignore your BS takes.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Kammrath - 02-09-2021

https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/1359003685553123335

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - HanspardShowerVoice - 02-10-2021

It seems to make a big difference when he plays with Maxi, on both sides of the floor.   KP is at his best when he's active in the offense and not just standing around waiting for a catch and shoot 3.   He is such a unique skillset, even though it's tempting to just pideonhole him as a high level stretch big, he's really not.   Maxi is our only big who can shoot 3s, so he can be the stretch and let KP be active as the pick man in the PnR and PnP.    That why I don't like the ide of pairing KP with someone like Drummond who can't shoot 3s.  Of the speculated names, I think he would be a much better fit with PJ Tucker or Collins.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ThisIStheYear - 02-11-2021

Zinger will probably never be a consistent player.  He’s going to throw in a dog game like this one against the Hawks every three or four games on average probably. But, he’ll have a great game every so often as well. I have no idea how to predict when they’re coming. What makes Atlanta such a tough matchup?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ItsGoTime - 02-11-2021

(02-11-2021, 12:34 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Zinger will probably never be a consistent player.  He’s going to throw in a dog game like this one against the Hawks every three or four games on average probably. But, he’ll have a great game every so often as well. I have no idea how to predict when they’re coming. What makes Atlanta such a tough matchup?
John Collins was guarding him most of the game, he wants his future teammate to look good!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - HanspardShowerVoice - 02-11-2021

(02-11-2021, 12:34 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Zinger will probably never be a consistent player.  He’s going to throw in a dog game like this one against the Hawks every three or four games on average probably. But, he’ll have a great game every so often as well. I have no idea how to predict when they’re coming. What makes Atlanta such a tough matchup?

Last night he just got into foul trouble early and was limited to 20 minutes and had to play cautious a good amount of those.   But my belief is he's a very under developed player for his age because he's spent so many offseasons rehabbing injuries rather than developing new aspects of his game.   Without a full arsenal of tools in his toolbox he has trouble counter adjusting to what the opponent is throwing at him.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - KillerLeft - 02-11-2021

(02-11-2021, 10:55 AM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: But my belief is he's a very under developed player for his age because he's spent so many offseasons rehabbing injuries rather than developing new aspects of his game. 

There is probably a lot of truth to this. I can definitely buy that this is why he seems so frustratingly limited on offense at times. If he's healthy for long enough this time, he will probably get better at playing with Luka in this system, and the high-post game will probably start to look better, too. 

As far as defense goes, I'm just too scared of his inability to move well to be a believer. I don't think he'll ever be the guy everyone wants him to be on that end. There were 2, maybe 3 games this season (so far) when I thought he looked like he felt good out there, and they weren't all in the last few, like his recently fixed knee is getting stronger. They were spread out, like it's kind of random which games he's going to have enough in the tank to play effectively. This scares the crap out of me. If it's like this now, when he's "healthy" in his mid-late 20's, do we think it's going to get better as he ages? 

When you give a guy a max contract, the hope is that he's so good that he makes OTHER players better, imo. I think in KP's case, Carlisle is busy trying to find a way to use him where others can cover up for his weaknesses. I think that's a HUGE problem for the team moving forward.