MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - DanSchwartzgan - 01-31-2021

(01-30-2021, 01:05 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I’m not ready to give up on KP yet, but at this point, I for sure am keeping tabs on those GM’s who have recently and are calling about his availability just for future reference!

If we could get Lavine and WCJ for him and maybe Green or something, I might be interested.

His comments are making me side with those that are talking about an RC issue. I still have to wonder as has been touched on last year, if Luka’s star might be a bit too bright for him. I also talked a bit last year about Luka many times seeming to run the offense away from KP. Sometimes looking like it was deliberate (KP holding his hands up calling for a pass and Luka dribbling the other direction). 

I’m not here to give any definitive thoughts, but I have sometimes wondered if it would need to be a highly humble star that can co-exist with Luka. Either that or a star that is growing up now idolizing Luka.

Forgetting the LaVine/WCJ part of this (Chicago isn’t going to leave itself with KP/Markkanen), there is a lot to like about this post.  I’ve noticed the same thing about Luka running the offense away from KP and have wondered about the “star being too bright” thing you mention.  I don’t have an answer either, but it seems odd.

There is a fantastic two-part podcast on Kobe on rejecting the screen.  The issue with Kobe and Shaq wasn’t really what people thought it was.  Kobe didn’t respect Shaq and Shaq’s work ethic was at the heart of the issue.  Point being the issue, if there is one, could be very different that what we outsider presume.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - dirkfansince1998 - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 09:45 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Forgetting the LaVine/WCJ part of this (Chicago isn’t going to leave itself with KP/Markkanen), there is a lot to like about this post.  I’ve noticed the same thing about Luka running the offense away from KP and have wondered about the “star being too bright” thing you mention.  I don’t have an answer either, but it seems odd.

There is a fantastic two-part podcast on Kobe on rejecting the screen.  The issue with Kobe and Shaq wasn’t really what people thought it was.  Kobe didn’t respect Shaq and Shaq’s work ethic was at the heart of the issue.  Point being the issue, if there is one, could be very different that what we outsider presume.

I think in the last few games Luka actually tried to get KP involved. RC doubled down on his dislike for post ups but mentioned that Luka called a few for KP to get him going.
I already mentioned it in the RC thread. Right now the offense would probably look better with more play and set calls from RC but they want to give Luka the freedom to run the offense.
KP obviously isn´t Dirk but I would like to see some of the plays they used to run for oldman Dirk. Cross screens to give him an open midrange shot from the ellbow / baseline. More horns sets with double screens to create an open 3 from the top of the key.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - StepBackJay - 01-31-2021

I worry ab KP for a lot of reasons. One he is overrated as a shooter. His FG and 3pt % for his career are not that great. Dirk was a much better shooter. KP would do better to mix up his game more so that he is getting some easier looks such as rolls to the basket. He has the ability to be a well-rounded 2 way player. The issue is he does not look right physically. On defense he is getting beat pretty badly. Last year he looked much better on that end. On offense he doesn't move around a whole lot, he mostly stands around on the perimeter or sets up on the block.

To get maximum KP you need he active and disruptive on defense and moving around more on offense. I like when Mavs are doing lots of off-ball screens to get him looks. He also should be doing more PnR with Luka. I think something physical or mental is affecting him and I am worried that he can be a part of this thing long term.

(01-30-2021, 11:39 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Coming off an a$$ kicking for two games straight where Zinger laid down and showed his belly. He comes back with a 0 and 0 scratch in the biggest game of the year.  The Mavs are toast and this contract will hang over the franchise like an albatross.

I think this is overstating the negative case. And his contract isn't an albatross. KP would still be a positive asset if traded despite his lower value. He's only got 2 more years on an RFA max and one of those is a potential opt-out year. Mavs could definitely move him but what are they getting back in return?

A LaVine + WCJ deal would be pretty interesting to me. Beal definitely won't happen with KP's stock as low as it is. But there are deals to be had. First KP needs to just play better. I think by the end of the year he is going to look better. Mavs will need to decide this summer whether he is in their long-term plans.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - khaled1987 - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 11:22 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:  KP would still be a positive asset if traded despite his lower value. He's only got 2 more years on an RFA max and one of those is a potential opt-out year. 

His contract ends in 2024 actually. 
https://hoopshype.com/player/kristaps-porzingis/salary/

Whoops.... 

Well that's less than ideal but at least it's an RFA max. The best thing is for KP to start playing better and I think he will...at some point. This is a guy that was looking good in the playoffs just a short bit ago.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Omega_Supreme - 01-31-2021

Even if KP comes back and improves over the course of the season I will still not change my mind that we should move on from him.

I do not believe in having your most highest paid player missing the most games and always being injured. At some point that starts to impact your culture.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ItsGoTime - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 10:25 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think in the last few games Luka actually tried to get KP involved. RC doubled down on his dislike for post ups but mentioned that Luka called a few for KP to get him going.
I already mentioned it in the RC thread. Right now the offense would probably look better with more play and set calls from RC but they want to give Luka the freedom to run the offense.
KP obviously isn´t Dirk but I would like to see some of the plays they used to run for oldman Dirk. Cross screens to give him an open midrange shot from the ellbow / baseline. More horns sets with double screens to create an open 3 from the top of the key.
I’ve seen those things too which gives me hope that Luka is trying to make it work. That bodes well to me for most of the Luka portion of this going forward, I really hope they work it out. It would be nice if they were buddies outside of practice, but if not, they need a better working relationship where Luka is figuring out what part of KP’s game works the best and he helps unlock that for him.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Derek Nowitzki - 02-01-2021

(01-31-2021, 10:35 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: It would be nice if they were buddies outside of practice, but if not, they need a better working relationship where Luka is figuring out what part of KP’s game works the best and he helps unlock that for him.

Maybe I missed this elsewhere, but is there any indication that they aren’t close off the court?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SleepingHero - 02-01-2021

(01-31-2021, 10:10 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: Even if KP comes back and improves over the course of the season I will still not change my mind that we should move on from him.

So basically there's nothing KP can do in your eyes and the Mavs have to move on from him forthwith?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ItsGoTime - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 07:54 AM)Derek Nowitzki Wrote: Maybe I missed this elsewhere, but is there any indication that they aren’t close off the court?
Not that they don’t like each other (I think they do), but I’ve read stories of Luka and others hanging out after practice with no mention of KP. I think KP is one of those super introverted people that finds it hard to break out of his shell and “put himself out there” to be the type that is easily likable. He seems always on guard to me. 

He also probably has no shortage of people in his life that make the effort to be his friend, so again, no need to go out of his way if others don’t take the first step. That is some of what I gleaned from that interview answer where he was saying the guys don’t hang out after practice.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Benskix2 - 02-01-2021

(01-30-2021, 11:34 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://hoopshabit.com/2019/02/06/dallas-mavericks-why-isnt-anyone-calling-kristaps-porzingis-diva/

"Now, certainly part of the distinction in coverage has to do with the fact that Kristaps is leaving a Knicks franchise that has been the model of ineptitude for the better part of the 21st century."

Duh, so why write the article?

"Maybe it’s a case of white privilege."

Okay.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - deronjohn - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 08:34 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: So basically there's nothing KP can do in your eyes and the Mavs have to move on from him forthwith?

Play 75 games a year for the remainder of his contract and all of the Playoffs

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SleepingHero - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 03:53 PM)deronjohn Wrote: Play 75 games a year for the remainder of his contract and all of the Playoffs

Luka hasn't even done that. 91% of games played is a tall order. We've been spoiled by Dirk the Iron Man.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Benskix2 - 02-01-2021

Lets say he plays every game for the rest of this season and the playoffs, does that mean he has proven to be healthy or does that mean you got lucky he didn't get hurt and you better trade him before he does?  I lean toward the 2nd one, but it's like 51% one way 49% the other.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ThisIStheYear - 02-01-2021

Well, one things for sure. KP’s honeymoon is definitely over. I don’t know what to do with him or how even to build around him. He needs to play center on offense really but is pushed around easily on the other side in the paint, can’t guard the post against power, and has a pedestrian rebounding percentage for his position. Thought he would work in a four wing lineup that would be best suited for Doncic, but he’s far too limited strength wise. He probably needs a skilled, mobile, and versatile mauler playing the four next to him, or at least a plus rebounder and versatile defender for the position, and those are hard to find. Really hard to find. DFS probably isn’t a good compliment at the 4. Right now, if the outside shot’s not falling, what can he do? Maybe some weakside help defense. He has to be more than a part time, skinny stretch 5 shooting spot ups and getting minutes only against soft teams. Tonight is a big night for him. He’s got to defeat Ayton in their matchup, including on the boards.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - StepBackJay - 02-01-2021

KP's defense is not good this year. He is a good interior defender, something is going on with him. In the paint yes he can get bullied sometimes, but there aren't a ton of bully-ball type bigs left these days. It's all ab rotations, stopping penetrations, closing out on shooters, disrupting passing lanes, altering shots at the rim. Getting pushed out of the way by some of your bigger bodies isn't as much of a problem as it might have been in the NBA in many years past. 

The issue with a guy like Powell is that you can easily move him out of the way enough for him to not bother your shot around the rim (altho he had a very nice defensive game last game by his standard). KP is a guy you shouldn't be able to get around bc he is long enough with good feet to block or bother your shot. This year is different. He just isn't moving fast enough or reacting fast enough or whatever to be a presence in the paint. On PnR defense he is getting smoked. I don't know what to think of it.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Omega_Supreme - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 05:08 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: Lets say he plays every game for the rest of this season and the playoffs, does that mean he has proven to be healthy or does that mean you got lucky he didn't get hurt and you better trade him before he does?  I lean toward the 2nd one, but it's like 51% one way 49% the other.

I would say he needs to play at least 80% of the regular season games and all playoff games and he needs to do this multiple seasons. 

The biggest issue is how often KP falls on the ground. Most injuries occur in the NBA when a player is falling. Its just a matter of time before he will be injured again.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Scott41theMavs - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 08:39 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 05:08 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: Lets say he plays every game for the rest of this season and the playoffs, does that mean he has proven to be healthy or does that mean you got lucky he didn't get hurt and you better trade him before he does? I lean toward the 2nd one, but it's like 51% one way 49% the other.

I would say he needs to play at least 80% of the regular season games and all playoff games and he needs to do this multiple seasons.

The biggest issue is how often KP falls on the ground. Most injuries occur in the NBA when a player is falling. Its just a matter of time before he will be injured again.

His last two major injuries were contact injuries.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Omega_Supreme - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 08:59 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: His last two major injuries were contact injuries.

Yeah I know and both involved him falling to the ground. He does fall a lot in most games and that could be due to the strength in his legs. 

I like KP as a player but I am just not sure if gambling on his health based off of the data we have now is worth risking 30% of our cap for. 

Another issue is he often has to take a considerable amount of games before he finds his rhythm. I worry about that as well because the team takes a step back everytime he goes in and out of the lineup. 

Your highest paid player should be one of your most consistent players bottom line.