MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | listed as "probable" - KillerLeft - 01-16-2021

(01-16-2021, 04:48 PM)pompelmo Wrote: I think Luka, who has been in a professional environment since his puberty, would know this is a bad look.

You'd think that, but he clearly doesn't. He frequently wears his frustration for things that don't go well on his sleeve, and to confirm this, all one has to do is watch him after literally ANY drive of his that doesn't result in a foul being called on one of the defenders. It's NOT a great look - that much is true.

Having said that, I think it's really, really easy to forget that he's a 21 year old kid. Abundance of professional experience or not, his brain is a 21 year old brain. He's a kid. The end, period. Talent and getting a head start in your profession are GREAT things, but there's just no cutting corners when it comes to certain trials in life. 

I read here almost daily that people have expectations for this team based on Luka being "ready" to compete for a championship. The reality is that he's still developing, still growing. I feel like it's a damn safe bet that he'll reach a championship level someday as a star and as a team-leading cornerstone, but he is NOT there yet, and neither are the Mavs. With both the player and the team, I think it's crucial that we all approach the next 2-3 seasons with the mindset that we're watching a young superstar and team DEVELOP themselves into champions. 

All of that to say: if this was a 27 year old Luka showing up his coach after the game, and not just a bratty kid who hasn't quite learned the effect his visible emotion has on people and the perceptions it creates, I think we'd have something to worry about here. As it stands today, I don't feel that way at all.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | listed as "probable" - omahen - 01-16-2021

To understand where Luka is coming from. This is normal in Europe and this is actually most successful coach in Europe history, leading several teams to euroleague championship. I don't think he would last long in US Smile  You can find countless more videos of his anger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkMiCRfD6Og

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | listed as "probable" - dirkfansince1998 - 01-16-2021

(01-16-2021, 05:39 PM)omahen Wrote: To understand where Luka is coming from. This is normal in Europe and this is actually most successful coach in Europe history, leading several teams to euroleague championship. I don't think he would last long in US Smile  You can find countless more videos of his anger.

Can tell that he is saying a lot more that wasn´t translated for a reason.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | listed as "probable" - pompelmo - 01-17-2021

(01-16-2021, 05:39 PM)omahen Wrote: To understand where Luka is coming from. This is normal in Europe and this is actually most successful coach in Europe history, leading several teams to euroleague championship. I don't think he would last long in US Smile  You can find countless more videos of his anger.

I don't see how this video helps your argument. Luka wouldn't even think of questioning Obra's decision, let alone getting animated against him. I've never seen any of the players in that video (Nikola Kalinic, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Luigi Datome, Bobby Dixon, Kostas Sloukas) ever reacted to their coach in that way (and I watched them several times in person).

In fact, no player in Europe would do that because coach is the star here. It is easier to replace Ekpe Udoh for 3 million$ a year than Jelko Obradovic who had a contract of similar size, and there are only a handful teams that can spend that kind of money among whole Europe.

When Luka reacts to Rick that way, Rick is helpless. He can only coach Luka to the extend that Luka allows him. Luka can either be Lebron and diminish his coach to dust, or be Duncan and let him coach. The star player is the boss in the NBA.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | listed as "probable" - burekemde - 01-17-2021

(01-17-2021, 12:50 AM)pompelmo Wrote: When Luka reacts to Rick that way, Rick is helpless. He can only coach Luka to the extend that Luka allows him. Luka can either be Lebron and diminish his coach to dust, or be Duncan and let him coach. The star player is the boss in the NBA.

I think Luka wants to understand why there was no timeout made. That is not fully the same as he will never understand this, after he gets the explanation.

He reacts very quickly and with body language,  to many similar situations, involving refs, opposing players, etc.. I think when you know the guy and knows that he reacts that way (and the coach and his teammates know him very well know), then it does not make the coach or the teammates helpless as you write. They know he is trying to understand what happens, and he doesnt understand that in that very moment.

This would be the case (coach being helpless) if Luka kept not agreeing with this decision, even after this was explained to him.

I am quiet sure they have talked about it and he understands the decision now. It was also clear from his interview that the coaches decision is the right one.

I think its important to differentiate between the question in trying to understand why this was so, and the other thing being disagreement on the decision.

The way we can think of this, is in my opinion in this way: Most players would be able to wait for team meeting to get the coach to explain the reasoning why no timeout was made. And, this was the right decision by the coach, the opposing defense was indeed not set, and Mavs got two shots, and still preserved the timeout. Luka on other hand, is I think so quiet keen on winning and improving and understanding, that he wants to understand right away what happened. He cant wait for team meetings in same way as some other players. 

If he would on other hand, after the coaches explanation, not agree on the decision, and try play coach of the team on his own, this would be a completely different incident. This is serious. This leaves the coach helpless.

However, if a player asks the coach what happened, and why, to understand the game better, and he agrees after the explanation is made, no matter where that occurs, the team meeting or during or after the game, there is nothing serious in this. In fact, this is great, this is the way you learn the game.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - omahen - 01-17-2021

(01-17-2021, 05:09 AM)burekemde Wrote: He reacts very quickly and with body language,  to many similar situations, involving refs, opposing players, etc.. I think when you know the guy and knows that he reacts that way (and the coach and his teammates know him very well know), then it does not make the coach or the teammates helpless as you write. They know he is trying to understand what happens, and he doesnt understand that in that very moment.

Exactly. It is just the people not involved in the "incident" making the drama.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - burekemde - 01-17-2021

(01-17-2021, 05:18 AM)omahen Wrote: Exactly. It is just the people not involved in the "incident" making the drama.

Probably several other Mavs players also had the same question as Luka. They just dont react and ask this immediately using body language. Some of them wait, some of them never ask the question. They probably had the exact same question as Luka in the head but kept it there. Probbaly some of them will also ask the coach latet to understand this.

This was most likely the right call by the coach. We got a great shooter with good space getting a chance to make the shot and we preserved thr timeout.

If Luka or anyone else, after talking to the coach, disagrees and tries to act as coach. This would on other hand get me really worried. This is not ok. Im pretty sure this is nowhere the case here. And Lukas interview confirms that. He is just very eager to understand the situation and wants to win. In general he never never blames others whether teammates or coaches. He reacts very quickly to situations with questions and cant hide the feeling of a loss.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - FunkBoreland - 01-17-2021

Does KP play the 4 on the offensive end and 5 on the defensive end, or does this rotate depending on the matchup?

I figure Rick wants KP to play the 4 so he doesn't bang too much with centers and have the mid-range court for the easy two. With the Knicks, he had Robin Lopez as the Center, with KP as the PF. Lopez definitely had size to hold his ground around the basket, with KP helping as weak side defender. However, WCS doesn't have too much strength in his lower body to hold his own under the basket.

The Chicago game, KP closeouts at the 3pt line weren't closeouts, but stop like a couple feet , with his body sideways and a hand up, and almost always, Markannen, Temple or Ardiaco would get the shot in. WCS is a bit better playing the perimeter, but just in the sense that his closer to the opposing player than KP.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - pompelmo - 01-18-2021

(01-17-2021, 10:46 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: Does KP play the 4 on the offensive end and 5 on the defensive end, or does this rotate depending on the matchup?

I figure Rick wants KP to play the 4 so he doesn't bang too much with centers and have the mid-range court for the easy two. With the Knicks, he had Robin Lopez as the Center, with KP as the PF. Lopez definitely had size to hold his ground around the basket, with KP helping as weak side defender. However, WCS doesn't have too much strength in his lower body to hold his own under the basket.

The Chicago game, KP closeouts at the 3pt line weren't closeouts, but stop like a couple feet , with his body sideways and a hand up, and almost always, Markannen, Temple or Ardiaco would get the shot in. WCS is a bit better playing the perimeter, but just in the sense that his closer to the opposing player than KP.

He looks uncomfortable at the 4. He felt and played better at the 5, finishing the plays at the rim which Willie blundered in the first half.

Derek Harper made a good point during the match. Those easy baskets should help gaining his feel and confidence which would also have a positive effect on his jump shot.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - KillerLeft - 01-18-2021

(01-18-2021, 01:00 AM)pompelmo Wrote: He looks uncomfortable at the 4. He felt and played better at the 5, finishing the plays at the rim which Willie blundered in the first half.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Tyler - 01-18-2021

(01-18-2021, 01:00 AM)pompelmo Wrote: He looks uncomfortable at the 4. He felt and played better at the 5, finishing the plays at the rim which Willie blundered in the first half.

Personally I think people are overthinking the 4 vs 5 argument. Against Chicago KP was 0-7 from 3 and 9-12 from 2. He just needs to lay off the trailing 3's and focus on getting more involved in the offense.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - pompelmo - 01-18-2021

(01-18-2021, 08:01 PM)Tyler Wrote: Personally I think people are overthinking the 4 vs 5 argument. Against Chicago KP was 0-7 from 3 and 9-12 from 2. He just needs to lay off the trailing 3's and focus on getting more involved in the offense.

Well, the kind of shots he made goes to Willie when he's paired with him. When Maxi plays the 4, it is not an issue. 

Other than that, it was just a bad shooting night from three. It happens.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ClutchDirk - 01-20-2021

https://twitter.com/kporzee/status/1351736950546436096

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - HanspardsShowerVoice - 01-20-2021

(01-17-2021, 10:46 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: Does KP play the 4 on the offensive end and 5 on the defensive end, or does this rotate depending on the matchup?

He plays the 5 on the offensive end, but it's the 2021 version of a 5 when your star player is best driving an open paint and not the 1997 version of a 5 when your star player thrives at shooting fadeaway jumpers.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Kammrath - 01-22-2021

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1352832339873832961

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ThisIStheYear - 01-23-2021

Obviously, these last two games, exactly what the Mavs need to contend, maybe even a bit on the high side of what’s needed.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - DanSchwartzgan - 01-23-2021

(01-23-2021, 09:40 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Obviously, these last two games, exactly what the Mavs need to contend, maybe even a bit on the high side of what’s needed.

I think you have to hand it to Donnie.  The team has gone 9 of 15 games without its second best player.  It has gone 7 games without the COVID guys and we've yet to see KP on the floor with any of JRich, DFS and Maxi/Powell.  Yet, we are above .500 and have a top 10 D-Rating.

Obviously Luka getting back to being Luka again has helped a ton.  But things like adding Iwundu as a 5th wing and Brunson as a 3rd PG and Johnson as a 5th big have all proved to be great moves.  The offseason was about D.  But, D can stand for both Defense and Depth.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Fuerza1 - 01-26-2021

Will Porzingis ever make an all-star team in a Mavs uniform?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - cow - 01-26-2021

(01-26-2021, 12:35 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Will Porzingis ever make an all-star team in a Mavs uniform?

[Image: magic-8-ball-2.jpg?fit=686%2C422]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SwisherPrice - 01-26-2021

I wish he would learn to play in the low post with traditional post moves like Boban. His post-up fadeaways have always looked awkward because he doesn't get much arc on his shot like Dirk. If he could learn a jump hook he'd be so much better. And yes, as Jokic shows, there is still value in a big man with a low-post game...as long as they can shoot from outside too.