MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Mapka - 09-12-2020

(09-12-2020, 08:17 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: KP is great and he doesn't even have to play super-efficiently to help the offense as a whole be significantly better. A guy like that who can play the 5 effectively and shoot 3s four steps behind the 3-point line is incredible. He creates so much space. Even if he is having an off shooting night it's hard to leave him open from 3. KP can also improve his game. His shot selection is not always great. There is room for him to take better shots and be more efficient.

KP and Luka are the perfect pairing in my view and the only concern is injury which is significant. I still think it's too early to say that KP is always going to be injured or suffer career-altering surgeries on his knees. I love his game and love it for the modern NBA.

If you are trying to guard KP and put a big on him you are going to draw him out of the paint (Don Nelson's long sought after dream). KP can also run by bigs pretty easily. If you have to go small then you lose rebounding and shot blocking on the other end in most cases. KP doesn't do great against smaller players that he should be bullying or shooting over but he will figure it out.

KP is aweful on postplay, but he kills smaller players on cuts. 
That's valuable.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Dundalis - 09-20-2020

(08-29-2020, 02:53 AM)omahen Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 02:39 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: So yeah I´d do trades like Lavine/WCJ, Capela/Hunter/Reddish, Vucevic/Bamba/Aminu in a heartbeat, because it becomes much easier and predictable from there.

So you basically want to do what Philly did by signing Horford. And look how great it was for them.

Mavs knew perfectly well what KP is and they will live with that. We can only hope that risk pays off and KP stays healthy.

The thing is, it wasn't that much of a risk. The most valuable assets in the deal were the two firsts, and even back then it was pretty clear Luka was going to almost single handedly make those draft picks not so valuable. I know some people still had faith in DSJ, but I'd already had a pretty good idea of what his ceiling was going to be by the time of the trade. There is no way you get a stable superstar for what little they gave up. It was pure luck to be able to have that situation arise. I said at the time, even if KP doesn't work out, the risk would be worth it, because the chances of Dallas getting even one superstar much less two before the 2018 draft given the lack of assets we had and the unlucky draft position were so minimal it's not funny. This franchise was looking at a decade of literal bottom feeding. So the risk was always worth it no matter the outcome, because apart from the draft picks, the other assets in the trade weren't likely going to turn into a better player coming back in a trade.

My belief however is that it should still be looked at as an asset business. The idea that KP is untradeable is stupid, because it's not rational. He absolutely should be tradeable. The reason Luka isn't tradeable, is because there probably isn't a more valuable player in the entire NBA (or the margins are so thin as to not be worth it). That's not the case with KP. As has already been mentioned, we constantly make silly decisions by overvaluing our own players, with the contract Powell got a prime recent example. If you can acquire a more valuable asset or collection of assets than Porzingis, then you would be negligent to not seriously look at it. And by more valuable, that could in fact mean a slightly inferior talent, but whom has proven more consistent both in production and availability while also being a good fit with the team. 

I might also trade him for a package of quality players depending on age and skill profile. i.e. As a hypothetical, I'd probably trade him in a package for say Myles Turner and Brogdan. You might not get an individual with a ceiling as high as KP, but I just like the package better. We are an asset barren team with lot's of older role players around our two stars. We can't afford to be stingy when the simple fact of the matter is, Luka is our core, KP at 25 has never had one genuinely elite season (not even his all star season), he's really still potential and what we "hope" can be the core with Luka. He's really our only truly valuable trade piece, and there's simply no reason to be "stuck" with the hope he fulfills his potential without the injury issues getting in the way if the opportunity arises to turn him into something better or more reliable.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Mapka - 09-20-2020

(09-20-2020, 10:24 AM)Dundalis Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 02:53 AM)omahen Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 02:39 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: So yeah I´d do trades like Lavine/WCJ, Capela/Hunter/Reddish, Vucevic/Bamba/Aminu in a heartbeat, because it becomes much easier and predictable from there.

So you basically want to do what Philly did by signing Horford. And look how great it was for them.

Mavs knew perfectly well what KP is and they will live with that. We can only hope that risk pays off and KP stays healthy.

The thing is, it wasn't that much of a risk. The most valuable assets in the deal were the two firsts, and even back then it was pretty clear Luka was going to almost single handedly make those draft picks not so valuable. I know some people still had faith in DSJ, but I'd already had a pretty good idea of what his ceiling was going to be by the time of the trade. There is no way you get a stable superstar for what little they gave up. It was pure luck to be able to have that situation arise. I said at the time, even if KP doesn't work out, the risk would be worth it, because the chances of Dallas getting even one superstar much less two before the 2018 draft given the lack of assets we had and the unlucky draft position were so minimal it's not funny. This franchise was looking at a decade of literal bottom feeding. So the risk was always worth it no matter the outcome, because apart from the draft picks, the other assets in the trade weren't likely going to turn into a better player coming back in a trade.

My belief however is that it should still be looked at as an asset business. The idea that KP is untradeable is stupid, because it's not rational. He absolutely should be tradeable. The reason Luka isn't tradeable, is because there probably isn't a more valuable player in the entire NBA (or the margins are so thin as to not be worth it). That's not the case with KP. As has already been mentioned, we constantly make silly decisions by overvaluing our own players, with the contract Powell got a prime recent example. If you can acquire a more valuable asset or collection of assets than Porzingis, then you would be negligent to not seriously look at it. And by more valuable, that could in fact mean a slightly inferior talent, but whom has proven more consistent both in production and availability while also being a good fit with the team. 

I might also trade him for a package of quality players depending on age and skill profile. i.e. As a hypothetical, I'd probably trade him in a package for say Myles Turner and Brogdan. You might not get an individual with a ceiling as high as KP, but I just like the package better. We are an asset barren team with lot's of older role players around our two stars. We can't afford to be stingy when the simple fact of the matter is, Luka is our core, KP at 25 has never had one genuinely elite season (not even his all star season), he's really still potential and what we "hope" can be the core with Luka. He's really our only truly valuable trade piece, and there's simply no reason to be "stuck" with the hope he fulfills his potential without the injury issues getting in the way if the opportunity arises to turn him into something better or more reliable.

Who gives the best player in a deal normally loses the trade. Of course there are lose-lose trades and amounts of picks could change this view.

But Quality>Quantity. 

I also can't see a better fit in playing style and personality with Luka in the league.

If the docs tell you he won't stay healty than sure.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - ClutchDirk - 09-22-2020

[Image: r3zkjrkyvpo51.jpg]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Kammrath - 09-22-2020

I want to know if his knee healed without surgery.....

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - ClutchDirk - 09-22-2020

(09-22-2020, 08:10 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I want to know if his knee healed without surgery.....
Good question...haven't seen anything yet...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - SleepingHero - 09-23-2020

(09-22-2020, 08:10 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I want to know if his knee healed without surgery.....

Most meniscus surgeries require 12 weeks of recovery time before you can do any heavy lifting/working out. A meniscus injury can heal on it's own in 4-6 weeks, with many people healing sooner than that depending on the tear. It's been almost 6 weeks since his initial injury (Mavs said it occurred game 1).

The fact that he's in the gym is a big sign that he probably didn't require surgery, and has the go ahead to start working out again. That, or KP is a bionic cyborg that can recover in less than half the normal time needed for a meniscus surgery.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Kammrath - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 05:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Most meniscus surgeries require 12 weeks of recovery time before you can do any heavy lifting/working out. A meniscus injury can heal on it's own in 4-6 weeks, with many people healing sooner than that depending on the tear. It's been almost 6 weeks since his initial injury (Mavs said it occurred game 1).

The fact that he's in the gym is a big sign that he probably didn't require surgery, and has the go ahead to start working out again. That, or KP is a bionic cyborg that can recover in less than half the normal time needed for a meniscus surgery.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - ItsGoTime - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 05:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

Most meniscus surgeries require 12 weeks of recovery time before you can do any heavy lifting/working out. A meniscus injury can heal on it's own in 4-6 weeks, with many people healing sooner than that depending on the tear. It's been almost 6 weeks since his initial injury (Mavs said it occurred game 1).

Could also be working just on upper body too. Which is also very important!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - radioaktiv - 09-23-2020

In case you missed this last week: https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2020/09/17/a-concerning-history-or-nba-trend-former-mavs-team-doctor-weighs-in-on-kristaps-porzingis-injuries/

Personally I'm not too concerned (yet).  Anthony Davis, Steph Curry, and Chris Paul were all injury-prone for years earlier in their careers.  Porzingis could very well bounce back from this and becomes an NBA iron man, who knows.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - dirkfansince1998 - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 09:39 PM)radioaktiv Wrote: In case you missed this last week: https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2020/09/17/a-concerning-history-or-nba-trend-former-mavs-team-doctor-weighs-in-on-kristaps-porzingis-injuries/

Personally I'm not too concerned (yet).  Anthony Davis, Steph Curry, and Chris Paul were all injury-prone for years earlier in their careers.  Porzingis could very well bounce back from this and becomes an NBA iron man, who knows.

Neither of them is a 7´2 unicorn. Looking at the injury history of other 7ft+ players there is a clear trend. Not saying that KP will follow the trend but it makes no sense to compare the injury history of guys like Steph Curry or CP3 to KPs.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Scott41theMavs - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 09:39 PM)radioaktiv Wrote: In case you missed this last week: https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2020/09/17/a-concerning-history-or-nba-trend-former-mavs-team-doctor-weighs-in-on-kristaps-porzingis-injuries/

Personally I'm not too concerned (yet). Anthony Davis, Steph Curry, and Chris Paul were all injury-prone for years earlier in their careers. Porzingis could very well bounce back from this and becomes an NBA iron man, who knows.

It's behind a pay wall. What's it say?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - radioaktiv - 09-23-2020

What I'm saying is a guy could get injured for consecutive years, for varying reason - luck, weakness at some parts of his body, play style, etc.  Guy could find a way to mitigate those factors (like Curry worked on strengthening his ankles and had shoes specifically designed for him), and the frequency of the injuries could lessen.  As the article pointed out, KP's injuries were contact injuries and could happen to anyone, and there are things he can do about it (strengthening).

Naysayers could be right and he'll be injured half of the time all his career.  It's not like I expect him to suddenly become invincible like John Stockton LOL.  But given his dedication to the game I have confidence he'll do what he can, and with some luck he could turn this around.  Maybe he could be a Bradley Beal and suddenly plays 75+ games for consecutive seasons, you know?

Scott, that's weird, there' no pay wall for me.  But here's some excerpts.

"T.O. Souryal, the Mavericks' former longtime team doctor, isn’t ready to decry the 25-year-old Porzingis' durability, longevity or potential.

Instead, Porzingis' latest setback might be a product of the evolution of the center position and his touch-heavy, versatile fit in the Mavericks' scheme.

“Anytime you have a star player with multiple injuries, especially to both knees, it’s a little troubling,” Souryal said. “But he seems to have come back from his ACL stronger than ever, so that injury’s behind us now. Each one of these injuries should be taken on its own merit.”

Souryal, who also served as a two-time president of the NBA Physicians Association and is now a leading orthopedic surgeon for Texas Sports Medicine, hasn’t treated Porzingis. Souryal stepped down from his role as the Mavericks' head team physician after 22 years in 2015, more than three years before Porzingis arrived in Dallas.

But Souryal worked with a handful of Mavericks, including Terry Davis, Nick Van Exel and Randy White, who suffered lateral meniscus injuries.

Porzingis said the tear happened after Clippers center Marcus Morris Sr. accidentally fell into him while Porzingis went for an offensive rebound. That means “it may have happened to anybody in that situation,” Souryal said.

Injuries from non-contact situations, like when Mavericks center Dwight Powell tore his right Achilles tendon in January, are generally more concerning, Souryal said.

Porzingis tore his left ACL in February 2018 while with the Knicks after landing awkwardly from a contested dunk.

“I can’t really be too worried about that. Both of them were contact injuries,” Porzingis said in August of his injury history. “These things happen. What I can do is focus on the work that I can put into it to make sure that I decrease the possibility of that happening. That means strengthening every day and just trying to do all the preventative work I can.”

In evaluating Porzingis' medical timeline, which now includes tears in both knees and a handful of sprains, strains and sorenesses in his lower extremities, Souryal separates each instance.

History, he said, doesn’t typically contribute to a contact injury. Instead, the frequency of Porzingis' injuries may be tied to a different kind of trend.

As the role of NBA centers has evolved, so has the style of defense they face and the wear on their bodies.

In the 1990s and early 2000s when Shaquille O’Neal and Patrick Ewing starred at center, for example, they spent long stretches of possessions under the basket with less need for agility or to space the floor from the 3-point line.

Now, almost every center shoots from 3-point range, drives to the basket and defends outside the paint.
The play of centers more often looks like that of guards, so it’s no coincidence, Souryal said, that their list of injuries — such as ankle sprains and knee ligament tears — can, too.

“[Porzingis] plays more similar to a Luka than the traditional center, [who were] not so agile, not very quick, not very fast,” Souryal said. “Physics really comes into play now. You know, the velocity of the movement, it does make you susceptible to injury, and it’s not so much Kristaps. It’s anyone who moves that fast, plants that quick, jumps that rapidly.”

Porzingis, who received platelet-rich plasma injections during the playoffs and recently posted a photo on Instagram of him at a work out, has not made a decision on whether he’ll have surgery this offseason or rehabilitate his right knee otherwise.

But neither option should be a threat to his career longevity.

Meniscus injuries aren’t new in basketball, especially in positions that require players to have a quick twitch and face frequent contact. In the last decade or so, the NBA has just seen a broader range of players who are likely to face those situations.

“We are noticing more injuries in the bigs than we have before, but it’s not so much because there are more injuries,” Souryal said. "It’s because the position has evolved and the player playing in that position has evolved.

“You’re seeing many, many more bigs than you did decades ago, and they’re far more athletic than they were decades ago. Two plus two equals four, so you’re seeing more bigs, seeing more athleticism, and therefore you’re seeing more of the common basketball injuries.”

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - dirkfansince1998 - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 10:04 PM)radioaktiv Wrote: What I'm saying is a guy could get injured for consecutive years, for varying reason - luck, weakness at some parts of his body, play style, etc.  Guy could find a way to mitigate those factors (like Curry worked on strengthening his ankles and had shoes specifically designed for him), and the frequency of the injuries could lessen.  As the article pointed out, KP's injuries were contact injuries and could happen to anyone, and there are things he can do about it (strengthening).

Naysayers could be right and he'll be injured half of the time all his career.  It's not like I expect him to suddenly become invincible like John Stockton LOL.  But given his dedication to the game I have confidence he'll do what he can, and with some luck he could turn this around.  Maybe he could be a Bradley Beal and suddenly plays 75+ games for consecutive seasons, you know?

Don´t disagree. Just wanted to point out that a player of his size is not comparable to the average athlet. I am really torn on the entire gaining strength issue. Getting a stronger core and lower body is probably a good thing. Gaining weight and bulking up isn´t.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Kammrath - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 10:11 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Getting a stronger core and lower body is probably a good thing. Gaining weight and bulking up isn´t.

100% this. 100%.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Hypermav - 09-24-2020

(09-23-2020, 10:04 PM)radioaktiv Wrote: Porzingis said the tear happened after Clippers center Marcus Morris Sr. accidentally fell into him while Porzingis went for an offensive rebound.
It had to be that clown.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Hypermav - 09-30-2020

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1309963760568762368?s=20

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Tyler - 10-09-2020

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1314677632278069250

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Hypermav - 10-09-2020

(10-09-2020, 04:39 PM)Tyler Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1314677632278069250
[Image: giphy.gif]

I am sure he will be fine...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Mavs2019 - 10-09-2020

(09-23-2020, 05:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

Most meniscus surgeries require 12 weeks of recovery time before you can do any heavy lifting/working out.

So anyone still interested in those desperate WIN NOW moves for 2020/2021.

They rush Porzingis back, because they can´t let the Knicks have that unprotected lottery pick, and he plays heavy minutes under a condensed schedule this will only end up in major disaster.

How about that Smart/Brown for Porzingis trade now. Confused