MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Kammrath - 08-28-2020

https://www.joionline.net/trending/content/lateral-meniscus-tear

https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1299479685953400834

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Mavs2019 - 08-28-2020

Looks like Cuban can´t even win trades with the Knicks. Only Luka is so good, that somehow both teams lost the trade.

This front office is such a mess, but somehow ended up with two of the three best European players of all-time.

The Powell contract comes back to bite us again. Unreal how stupid that was. So somehow the Mavs have bought Luka $40M in damaged goods, nearly 50% of the cap (including Luka) gone.

They better start working the eternal losers desperate for success and the small market teams unable to attract free agents. Does Utah accept Porzingis as compensation, if Gobert commits to the Mavs. On paper Gordon/Isaac/Porzingis looks pretty special. Would the Magic take the risk and consolidate their frontcourt by trading Vucevic, Bamba and Aminu?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Kammrath - 08-28-2020

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1299552939099525121

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - SleepingHero - 08-28-2020

(08-28-2020, 08:45 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Looks like Cuban can´t even win trades with the Knicks

What a reactionary take. 

First off, as knee injuries goes, a meniscus injury is as benign as they get. He will be recovered in 6 weeks at most. He will start to feel normal in 2-4 weeks. He freaking averaged 31 and 11 on a torn meniscus over 2 games. So please spare me the drivel. Furthermore, the play that it likely happened was when Zubac landed on KP's knee, so it wasn't like it was a non-contact injury.  

Secondly Kristaps played 57 games this year. Anthony Davis played only FIVE more games than KP, yet we don't hear a single mention about how the Lakers have to trade AD at all costs and how the Lakers lost the trade because of how injury prone AD is. 

And before you even say KP isn't even the same player as AD, KP averaged from December 23ppg 10rpg, and 2bpg on 45/37/84. In the bubble alone he 30.5ppg, 9.5rpg, 1.5bpg, on 48/38/89. He was transformational when he was on the court and affected the game in multiple ways. 

KP is as untouchable as he gets and I'm glad the Mavs front office sees it the way I do. 
(08-28-2020, 08:45 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: This front office is such a mess,

This front office from 1999 to 2020 has been the 2nd winningest team in the NBA only behind the Spurs, and that's including the tanking years. A messy front office does not nail 2 of the best European players of all time. A messy front office doesn't trade 3 expirings and a disgruntled PG for a key role player, and an All-NBA caliber big man. 

Your comment wreaks of entitlement and frankly unreachable expectations. The Mavs FO has made PLENTY of mistakes to harp on (like with any NBA franchise), but Kristaps freaking Porzingis isn't one of them. He isn't even close to a mistake.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - SwisherPrice - 08-28-2020

KP is going nowhere. I always wondered if maybe the best role for him going forward was as a #3 option/stretch big man (think Kevin Love on the Cavs w/ LeBron and Kyrie). Yeah he has a huge contract but that's life in the NBA. 

In today's NBA, that might be the best model we can expect if we want to contend. Focus on getting another great guard and then we have 2 dynamic perimeter players who create the majority of the offense + a great stretch 4/5

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SleepingHero - 08-28-2020

(08-25-2020, 08:55 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: This feels like microfracture waiting to happen.

2 totally different injuries.  A meniscus tear will never need a microfracture surgery. 

A microfracture surgery is needed when there is damage to the actual cartilage of the knee and doctors try a technique where they make small fractures along the knee to stimulate a clot and for more cartilage to be made. A meniscus tear can be either a lateral or a medial tear. Both have the same treatment options. 

Option 1. remove the damaged portion of the meniscus entirely, or removing the entire meniscus itself. Doing so rapidly speeds up recovery time from the injury (at most 8 weeks, but a large portion can return to full activities after 2 weeks of healing). Of course it doesn't come without risk. By removing the meniscus it opens up the knee to being susceptible to more injuries. The increase risk is small but there because an entire ligament has been removed. D-Whistle is a notable example of an athlete removing his meniscus and continuing his career just fine. 

Option 2. Let the tear heal by itself without any sort of intervention. This is a common route if the tear is relatively minor. Most tears heal within 6 weeks, but can last up to 12 weeks. Most athletes can continue to train with minor discomfort even on a torn meniscus. From the sound of it, KP has a very small tear. Which is why he was able to play 2 full NBA games on it, and why the Mavs had to do multiple MRI's to even see damage. 

Option 3. Surgically repair the tear by opening up and sewing the torn portions together. This is a difficult procedure, mostly because it is reserved for tears that are considerably large. The larger the tear the easier it is to see and sew up. An advantage for this is that while the doctor is in there he can reinforce the ligaments and try to create an environment where further knee injuries are less likely. This procedure has the longest turnaround time ~give or take 12 weeks. But it offers the most long term stability. 

In no scenario does having a meniscus tear have ANYTHING to do with the cartilage of the knee. As knee injuries go this is akin to sprained pinky finger.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Mavs2019 - 08-28-2020

(08-28-2020, 10:58 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 08:45 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Looks like Cuban can´t even win trades with the Knicks

What a reactionary take. 

First off, as knee injuries goes, a meniscus injury is as benign as they get. He will be recovered in 6 weeks at most. He will start to feel normal in 2-4 weeks. He freaking averaged 31 and 11 on a torn meniscus over 2 games. So please spare me the drivel. Furthermore, the play that it likely happened was when Zubac landed on KP's knee, so it wasn't like it was a non-contact injury. 

Thanks. I had no idea what a meniscus tear was.  Rolleyes 

Of course the Mavs will say it was a contact injury. That´s called protecting your investment. Nobody can prove otherwise.

Nobody doubts his basketball talent either.

The track record for NBA players 7´3+ is well-documented and once they develop leg/foot injuries the writing is usually on the wall.

The normal recovery time for an ACL injury is 6-12 months. How long was Porzingis out? He was extra careful and then lasted 31 games before missing a month with right knee soreness. Another 10 games and he has a torn meniscus in the same knee.

At this stage Porzingis should play around 30 regular season games maximum, which makes reaching the play-offs without additional help a lot more difficult. Plus it goes against the competitive nature of the player and the head coach, but the Mavs should have known that, when making the trade and planned accordingly.

The Mavs task of building a championship roster around Luka just got a lot more difficult.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - SleepingHero - 08-29-2020

(08-28-2020, 11:47 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: The normal recovery time for an ACL injury is 6-12 months. How long was Porzingis out? He was extra careful and then lasted 31 games before missing a month with right knee soreness. Another 10 games and he has a torn meniscus in the same knee.

I mean KP himself said he could've returned the same year when the Mavs traded for him. It would've been 12 months then. The Mavs, NOT KP, demanded he sit out till next season. We all know why they did it.

He was extra careful, and like almost every single player with returning from an ACL injury, began to develop issues on the opposite side because he was naturally favoring it. He missed 10 games, then went on to play 26 more in a shortened season. 57/75 games, close to 80%. Which is more than we all were expecting. 

On the 27th game (not 10th), Zubac landed his entire 240lb body on KP's legs and injured him. Now did KP get injured because he's injury prone or was it a freak accident? Regardless, the injury itself is relatively minor and will have absolutely no effect on his game and athleticism as long as he heals properly. 

To trade a dude like him for pennies on the dollar is foolish. Gobert isn't close to a prospect like KP is. The only guy that matches KP talent wise is Embiid, and he's just as injury prone. Even worse he has severe conditioning and maturity issues. 

(08-28-2020, 08:45 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: The Powell contract comes back to bite us again. Unreal how stupid that was.

Funnily enough, I totally agree with you here. The Powell contract was another case of the Mavs loving their boys in blue, and paying for chemistry. Powell's a great locker room guy but boy that contract was stupid. If anything, Powell's contract is exponentially worse than KP because not only is Powell barely a role player, he tore his freaking achilles, a death sentence for any pro player's career.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Mavs2019 - 08-29-2020

(08-29-2020, 12:04 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 11:47 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: The normal recovery time for an ACL injury is 6-12 months. How long was Porzingis out? He was extra careful and then lasted 31 games before missing a month with right knee soreness. Another 10 games and he has a torn meniscus in the same knee.

I mean KP himself said he could've returned the same year when the Mavs traded for him. It would've been 12 months then. The Mavs, NOT KP, demanded he sit out till next season. We all know why they did it.

He was extra careful, and like almost every single player with returning from an ACL injury, began to develop issues on the opposite side because he was naturally favoring it. He missed 10 games, then went on to play 26 more in a shortened season. 57/75 games, close to 80%. Which is more than we all were expecting. 

On the 27th game (not 10th), Zubac landed his entire 240lb body on KP's legs and injured him. Now did KP get injured because he's injury prone or was it a freak accident? Regardless, the injury itself is relatively minor and will have absolutely no effect on his game and athleticism as long as he heals properly. 

To trade a dude like him for pennies on the dollar is foolish. Gobert isn't close to a prospect like KP is. The only guy that matches KP talent wise is Embiid, and he's just as injury prone. Even worse he has severe conditioning and maturity issues. 

(08-28-2020, 08:45 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: The Powell contract comes back to bite us again. Unreal how stupid that was.

Funnily enough, I totally agree with you here. The Powell contract was another case of the Mavs loving their boys in blue, and paying for chemistry. Powell's a great locker room guy but boy that contract was stupid. If anything, Powell's contract is exponentially worse than KP because not only is Powell barely a role player, he tore his freaking achilles, a death sentence for any pro player's career.

Exactly. His body overcompensates for a weakness in his left knee and it leads to problems in his right knee. You know your medical stuff, so you´d also agree that 7´3 guys are simply not meant to run, stop-start, cut and jump around on concrete all year, especially as the speed of the game has intensified compared to 20-30 years ago.

I want to be wrong.

I know that all the trades suggested are not equal talent-wise, but the talent also needs to be on the floor with a certain reliability.

You think Luka will be happy, if every 2nd post-season is a write-off, cause Porzingis is hurt again.

Right now we are still in a fairly comfortable situation, because Luka is still on a rookie deal, but that will change, too.

So yeah I´d do trades like Lavine/WCJ, Capela/Hunter/Reddish, Vucevic/Bamba/Aminu in a heartbeat, because it becomes much easier and predictable from there.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - omahen - 08-29-2020

(08-29-2020, 02:39 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: So yeah I´d do trades like Lavine/WCJ, Capela/Hunter/Reddish, Vucevic/Bamba/Aminu in a heartbeat, because it becomes much easier and predictable from there.

So you basically want to do what Philly did by signing Horford. And look how great it was for them.

Mavs knew perfectly well what KP is and they will live with that. We can only hope that risk pays off and KP stays healthy.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - ItsGoTime - 08-29-2020

(08-29-2020, 02:53 AM)omahen Wrote: So you basically want to do what Philly did by signing Horford. And look how great it was for them.

Mavs knew perfectly well what KP is and they will live with that. We can only hope that risk pays off and KP stays healthy.
There's many times a difference with what the Mavs WILL do as opposed to what they SHOULD do. I don't know the full answer to that yet (no one will know for a few years), and I really want KP to stay and be healthy and have the career he's destined to have. 

I was so excited to get 2 superstars (and yes, KP will be a superstar if he stays relatively healthy) and defend KP from many who talked down about him...not seeing what he could be with us. I'm still excited to have him. I would also not mind having him traded if we can get equal value on a team needing lots of talent - solely due to the uncertainty of his body.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Mavs2019 - 08-29-2020

(08-29-2020, 02:53 AM)omahen Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 02:39 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: So yeah I´d do trades like Lavine/WCJ, Capela/Hunter/Reddish, Vucevic/Bamba/Aminu in a heartbeat, because it becomes much easier and predictable from there.

So you basically want to do what Philly did by signing Horford. And look how great it was for them.

Horford?

Spinning this along for 2021

Capela 17.1
Powell 11.1 (with two years left, I´ll leave him on the active cap)
Doncic 10.1
Kleber 8.8
                 [Wright 8.5] (I´ll exclude him, expiring, should be dump-able at reasonable cost)
Curry 8.2
Hunter 7.7
Reddish 4.6
DFS 4.0
Pokusevski 3.5
Brunson 1.8
Ramsey 1.8

If we assume a cap in the $115M range that gives us exactly a max contract slot (Giannis, Davis, Gobert) or we could split the money in creative ways.

Trade Hunter+Wright for Gordon

Now you could force Powell out with a massive double 1st round pick to return to max capspace for Giannis/AD.

Other options include Gobert, Drummond, Holiday, Oladipo in the $28M prize range (high end for these guys imho)

You could also make a substantial offer to Jarrett Allen. He´s 22 and reeks of Tyson Chandler.

In the 131 minutes with him on the floor the Nets were -33 against the Raptors. In the 61 minutes without him they were -54.

I don´t think the Nets would match a $18M offer, so you´d even have the money left to-re-sign THJ.

Doncic/Brunson/Burke
THJ/Curry/Ramsey
DFS/Reddish/MKG
Gordon/Kleber/Pokusevski
Allen/Capela/Powell

I´d still take a healthy Porzingis over Gordon/Allen/Reddish, but this is the much safer way. When you have a player like Luka, Porzingis turning into Cousins/Wall is the only cul-de-sac. You can recover from everything else. This roster would be loaded with trade assets,too.

Tough choice.

One way or the other the Mavs need to manage his workload better, especially next season. We suck at home anyway, so the only point of the regular season is to make the play-offs and keep Porzingis healthy. Wish we were in the East. Shy

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - ClutchDirk - 08-29-2020

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1299738597826932736

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Kammrath - 08-29-2020

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1299738230653419526

https://twitter.com/IsaacLHarris/status/1299736018283884544

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1299735757058387969

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1299734940632977414

https://twitter.com/IsaacLHarris/status/1299734761364230145

https://twitter.com/IsaacLHarris/status/1299734387823652866

So they´ll start with conservative treatment and if his body doesn´t respond go for the surgery. Either way he should be fine for the start of next season, when Luka raises the banner.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - burekemde - 08-30-2020

(08-28-2020, 10:59 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: KP is going nowhere. I always wondered if maybe the best role for him going forward was as a #3 option/stretch big man (think Kevin Love on the Cavs w/ LeBron and Kyrie). Yeah he has a huge contract but that's life in the NBA. 

In today's NBA, that might be the best model we can expect if we want to contend. Focus on getting another great guard and then we have 2 dynamic perimeter players who create the majority of the offense + a great stretch 4/5

That's a great point with KP. As #3 option as stretch outside, this will also prolong his longevity.

His biggest impact by far comes from rim protection. He changes games here. And being stretch on offense, also saves his energy.

I think we need another big that can do what Powell does in rim running, while also providing rim protection and defense and excelling defensively. Or another big that knows how to score. I think if we had got Vucevic, we would have beaten the Clippers, and KP stayed healthy.

I think the key is the other big next to KP. Then another and much better SG that can also play D. We need to get tougher for next season.

On SF, DFS is doing great job defensively and can shoot the 3 when open, and he will be. We need the SG to be more consistent on offense and play well D. THJ's percentage isnt as good as should be considering the wide open looks by Luka.

In general, we need to go more physical. We need another physical rim protector next to KP, someone to set the tone on defense. Same with the SG position, we need more defense and set the tone. DFS, KP and Luka they will get it done defenisively.

If we add the PF and SG, it could result in a championship already next season. But these two spots are the key. And of course some depth on the bench which will also be key.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - Reunion Mav Old - 09-06-2020

Question? Does anyone know where KP spends his off season time. I hope he spends a lot of it with other Mavs or in Dallas. I suppose he goes home in Europe....or maybe not.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - omahen - 09-06-2020

(09-06-2020, 10:33 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Question? Does anyone know where KP spends his off season time. I hope he spends a lot of it with other Mavs or in Dallas. I suppose he goes home in Europe....or maybe not.

Mostly home, from what we could see last offseason

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - khaled1987 - 09-11-2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jobnzjcEiAk

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - StepBackJay - 09-12-2020

KP is great and he doesn't even have to play super-efficiently to help the offense as a whole be significantly better. A guy like that who can play the 5 effectively and shoot 3s four steps behind the 3-point line is incredible. He creates so much space. Even if he is having an off shooting night it's hard to leave him open from 3. KP can also improve his game. His shot selection is not always great. There is room for him to take better shots and be more efficient.

KP and Luka are the perfect pairing in my view and the only concern is injury which is significant. I still think it's too early to say that KP is always going to be injured or suffer career-altering surgeries on his knees. I love his game and love it for the modern NBA.

If you are trying to guard KP and put a big on him you are going to draw him out of the paint (Don Nelson's long sought after dream). KP can also run by bigs pretty easily. If you have to go small then you lose rebounding and shot blocking on the other end in most cases. KP doesn't do great against smaller players that he should be bullying or shooting over but he will figure it out.