MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Kammrath - 08-21-2020

https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1297019053110972417

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - FunkBoreland - 08-21-2020

Wish Luka to recover well, but if he sits out (for the best), it would be amazing to see how he plays being the #1 option.

However, Mavs are 4 - 6 with a Luka-less, but KP led team.

The averages for those 10 games

32 Points
FG% .462
11.8 Rebounds
+9.6

And the games lost were all within single digits, except the Memphis game, which they lost by 14.

(I look it up in baskteball - reference.)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Kammrath - 08-23-2020

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1297669750743617536

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Hypermav - 08-23-2020

Hopefully a "nothing abnormal" for him as well.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - StepBackJay - 08-23-2020

KP needs to play man. I am surprised he didn't play tonight. All is well, maybe we needed the Clips to just relax a little bit with KP out and Luka hobbled.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ThisIStheYear - 08-24-2020

The knee has had plenty of time to get well. A normal recovery time would have had him on the floor last season. Since then he’s had two more off seasons and still can’t answer the bell for a playoff game. It’s not his fault, but you really have to be concerned about that big contract now. I’d move him if 75% on the dollar is a available or you could just dump the salary. My concern was that he’d be Ralph Sampson. He had about three good years in a lanky 7-4 frame before the knees finished him. Hope history doesn’t repeat.

But Mavs definitely did the right thing not pushing the knee.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Dundalis - 08-24-2020

(08-24-2020, 08:20 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The knee has had plenty of time to get well. A normal recovery time would have had him on the floor last season. Since then he’s had two more off seasons and still can’t answer the bell for a playoff game. It’s not his fault, but you really have to be concerned about that big contract now. I’d move him if 75% on the dollar is a available or you could just dump the salary.  My concern was that he’d be Ralph Sampson. He had about three good years in a lanky 7-4 frame before the knees finished him. Hope history doesn’t repeat.

Huh? It's not the same knee. That said I agree it's a bit concerning. Rick's comments post MRI are a little bit suspect.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Scott41theMavs - 08-24-2020

(08-24-2020, 08:20 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The knee has had plenty of time to get well. A normal recovery time would have had him on the floor last season. Since then he’s had two more off seasons and still can’t answer the bell for a playoff game. It’s not his fault, but you really have to be concerned about that big contract now. I’d move him if 75% on the dollar is a available or you could just dump the salary. My concern was that he’d be Ralph Sampson. He had about three good years in a lanky 7-4 frame before the knees finished him. Hope history doesn’t repeat.

Posts like this make me wish we had a downvote option here.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ThisIStheYear - 08-24-2020

Not the same knee huh? I don’t know if that’s good or bad. I remain concerned. Let’s see if he can go tomorrow. The Mavs do have a top training staff from all accounts.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ThisIStheYear - 08-25-2020

I hear he’s out again. Is that confirmed? Maybe when Powell is back next year they can platoon 48 minutes down the middle, 24mpg, at the center position to extend their careers. These knee issues are taking on a Ralph Sampson quality. Just tough on a lanky 7-4 player to give big minutes all the time.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - StepBackJay - 08-25-2020

(08-24-2020, 10:35 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Not the same knee huh?  I don’t know if that’s good or bad. I remain concerned. Let’s see if he can go tomorrow.  The Mavs do have a top training staff from all accounts.

Different knee. Confirmed he is out. Man what a huge blow. We have to be concerned ab KP's long-term health. He had 5 months rest and still has a sore knee after only a short time back.

The Mavs lack of depth currently is a problem. I expect Carlisle will go back to a small lineup again. I think the silver lining is that if KP is back for game 6 and we lose game 5, then we still have the ability to take it to a 7th game.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Davevoid - 08-25-2020

[Image: tenor.gif]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Benskix2 - 08-25-2020

This feels like microfracture waiting to happen.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Reunion Mav Old - 08-26-2020

So, now it is being said this was a contact injury in game one. I hope someone figures out which play so we can see it. Given the Clippers propensity to physical as a strategy to get us off our game, which absolutely does involve risk of injury to our players by this team that causes disturbances as the best way to motivate themselves. 

I guess I really want to see if the contact was perfectly normal basketball contact, or the kind of things the Clippers are doing that raises risk of injury to our team. 

What happens if it turns out is was just as bad as Morris stepping on Luka. I watched that play over an over, as a highly trained evaluator does, giving much benefit of the doubt. I simply could find no evidence of trying to make a steal, or put on some defense or anything. What was in evidence, Morris acted like he had a beef with Luka and proceeded directly to his foot to make a point.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - reckoner07 - 08-26-2020

Players get injured all the time, and one injury with the Mavs doesn't mean he's going to be injury prone with the Mavs, although it's much more likely given his Knicks history. But...this is his first injury with his substantially developed body. That isn't the same as being KP having less skeletal protection, without the more muscular frame. Muscles offer protection for the skeletal structure by reducing stress on the bones, and provide natural protection from inadvertent injuries. This one was not inadvertent, as in, he didn't come down on his ankle or knee wrong. This was a contact injury.

That said, he has a long, gangly frame, which is much more exposed to injury. It was the primary risk of the trade, and remains so during his 5+ years with the Mavs. But the organization is taking every single step to make sure he is in the best possible place physically, and strategically, to reduce the risk substantially.

One injury to the new KP doesn't necessarily means he's going to be Sean Lee.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ClutchDirk - 08-26-2020

(08-26-2020, 09:54 AM)reckoner07 Wrote: Players get injured all the time, and one injury with the Mavs doesn't mean he's going to be injury prone with the Mavs, although it's much more likely given his Knicks history. But...this is his first injury with his substantially developed body.  That isn't the same as being KP having less skeletal protection, without the more muscular frame. Muscles offer protection for the skeletal structure by reducing stress on the bones, and provide natural protection from inadvertent injuries. This one was not inadvertent, as in, he didn't come down on his ankle or knee wrong. This was a contact injury.

That said, he has a long, gangly frame, which is much more exposed to injury.  It was the primary risk of the trade, and remains so during his 5+ years with the Mavs. But the organization is taking every single step to make sure he is in the best possible place physically, and strategically, to reduce the risk substantially.

One injury to the new KP doesn't necessarily means he's going to be Sean Lee.
Well said...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Dundalis - 08-28-2020

The Mavericks needed seven games to beat both the Blazers and the Kings, so the playoffs had already been a long battle. Dallas won game one against the Spurs before losing two straight. Tim Duncan scored over 30 in each of the first three games. Dirk Nowitzki sprained his knee during game three. Questionable for game four, Dirk wanted desperately to try and play.

Sports Illustrated reported that owner Mark Cuban wanted Dirk to play in game four, but head coach Don Nelson thought he should sit. SI quoted Don Nelson as saying, “I didn’t want to jeopardize this great young player’s career for a basketball game, no matter how important it seemed at the time”.

While Dirk could have played and stayed healthy, there is no guarantee of what the long term effects would have been.

Resting Dirk may have caused the Mavericks to lose one series, but they may have lost anyway. If Nowitzki’s knee received more damage, his prime may end sooner. That could mean fewer broken records or the Mavericks not winning a title in 2011. With instant gratification and the desire to focus solely on the present, it is easy to lose sight of the future.

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2020/08/27/mavericks-kristaps-porzingis-dirk-knee/2/

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Reunion Mav Old - 08-28-2020

Yes I suppose that is true. The current Mavericks have proven many times over that they can be trusted to do exactly that. Just ask KP, Seth, Javale McGee and others. 

I very much remember that series. It was probably the right thing to do but it did NOT make it hurt any less!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SwisherPrice - 08-28-2020

Dodged a bullet with the meniscus tear instead of ACL. Still not ideal but not the nightmare scenario for him. I do believe they may have pushed him with too many minutes in the restart after a 4 month layoff. He averaged 31 mpg during the season and ~ 36 mpg in The Bubble. He may just be a guy who can't play heavy minutes, even in the playoffs.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Luka_Magic - 08-28-2020

if he has a meniscectomy does that limit his ability to get future tears? I remember embiid had a similar injury.