MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ThisIStheYear - 02-15-2020

Zinger’s playing better lately so hopefully the upward trend continues.  He’s below average this season and for his career as a shooter (lower than average effective and true shooting percentages).  He can’t really be considered a good player until he gets those numbers up beyond his career average.  He’s going to need to raise his three point percentage up to 40% and increase his two point shot to at least 50%. If he can’t do that, he won’t be truly a good player, just a guy who’s noticeable and thus overrated.  He has a long ways to go but does have the talent to get there I think.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - DanSchwartzgan - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 11:56 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Zinger’s playing better lately so hopefully the upward trend continues.  He’s below average this season and for his career as a shooter (lower than average effective and true shooting percentages).  He can’t really be considered a good player until he gets those numbers up beyond his career average.  He’s going to need to raise his three point percentage up to 40% and increase his two point shot to at least 50%. If he can’t do that, he won’t be truly a good player, just a guy who’s noticeable and thus overrated.  He has a long ways to go but does have the talent to get there I think.

I agree with your sentiment about the need for improved shooting.  KP, even with his recent improvement, has the 14th best TS% on the team.  The only regular who is worse is Jackson.

However, I'd rather focus on the end result (TS%), than the specifics of 2% and 3%.  I don't care how he gets there (FT's are another factor) as long as he gets to a place where his shots are just as valuable as the other options.  Right now, KP is at .537%.  Seth and Maxi are in the .600's, Luka and DFS are in the .590's and THJ is .576%.  Set aside the benefit of floor spacing and take D out of the argument and a KP shot is the least efficient shot a player on this team ever takes (unless their name is Jackson). 

It has always been that way with KP, but he's never had the space and quality distributor he has now.  If he ever gets even to THJ's level (.576 is THJ's career high), then watch out because this O will be unstoppable.  It's an extra 1.4 points per 36 for the shots he's already taking added to the historic pp100 we are already achieving.  Plus, if he ever got to that kind of efficiency, he would probably take more shots.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Scott41theMavs - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 11:56 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Zinger’s playing better lately so hopefully the upward trend continues. He’s below average this season and for his career as a shooter (lower than average effective and true shooting percentages). He can’t really be considered a good player until he gets those numbers up beyond his career average. He’s going to need to raise his three point percentage up to 40% and increase his two point shot to at least 50%. If he can’t do that, he won’t be truly a good player, just a guy who’s noticeable and thus overrated. He has a long ways to go but does have the talent to get there I think.

"downvote"

He was rusty and not used to not being the alpha. I'm rather stunned that anyone, much less a Mavs fan, could look at his "it's all starting to click" February and have this opinion.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Tyler - 02-15-2020

Speaking of "it's all starting to click" February, here are KP's February stats per game:

27 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 1.4 blocks, 1.2 steals

Shooting 50/40/90.  With a .683 TS%.

[Image: 3pb9o9.jpg]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ClutchDirk - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 01:01 PM)Tyler Wrote: Speaking of "it's all starting to click" February, here are KP's February stats per game:

27 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 1.4 blocks, 1.2 steals

Shooting 50/40/90.  With a .683 TS%.

[Image: 3pb9o9.jpg]
He does what folks ask for but still gets questioned... Sad

(02-15-2020, 12:20 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 11:56 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Zinger’s playing better lately so hopefully the upward trend continues.  He’s below average this season and for his career as a shooter (lower than average effective and true shooting percentages).  He can’t really be considered a good player until he gets those numbers up beyond his career average.  He’s going to need to raise his three point percentage up to 40% and increase his two point shot to at least 50%. If he can’t do that, he won’t be truly a good player, just a guy who’s noticeable and thus overrated.  He has a long ways to go but does have the talent to get there I think.

"downvote"

He was rusty and not used to not being the alpha. I'm rather stunned that anyone, much less a Mavs fan, could look at his "it's all starting to click" February and have this opinion.

Partly rust maybe, but his shooting numbers are pretty consistent with his career.  Even his best year in New York, his shooting efficiency wasn’t good enough to make him a good player.  Just a guy who took shots and people noticed his style so he seemed better than he really is, a la Antoine Walker or someone like that. But, like I said, he has the talent to get better, good coaching, and a bunch of really good offensive players around him.  He’ll get a lot of good looks.  He has no excuse to not get closer to the 50-40-85 standard he needs to be at. If he keeps his Recent performance up long term, all will be good. But this can’t be a good stretch. It needs to be the normal.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - fifteenth - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 05:21 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Partly rust maybe, but his shooting numbers are pretty consistent with his career.  Even his best year in New York, his shooting efficiency wasn’t good enough to make him a good player.  Just a guy who took shots and people noticed his style so he seemed better than he really is, a la Antoine Walker or someone like that. But, like I said, he has the talent to get better, good coaching, and a bunch of really good offensive players around him.  He’ll get a lot of good looks.  He has no excuse to not get closer to the 50-40-85 standard he needs to be at. If he keeps his Recent performance up long term, all will be good. But this can’t be a good stretch. It needs to be the normal.

My hope, even prediction, is that his NY inefficiency was due to the offense he was in and the load he carried, his inefficiency this season is from rust and learning a new system, and that his Feb #s are more like what we'll see from a healthy confident KP and an in sinc KP and Luka.

Having said that, 50/40/90 with a .683 TS% with good volume over a number of years is HOF level.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Scott41theMavs - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 05:21 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 12:20 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 11:56 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Zinger’s playing better lately so hopefully the upward trend continues. He’s below average this season and for his career as a shooter (lower than average effective and true shooting percentages). He can’t really be considered a good player until he gets those numbers up beyond his career average. He’s going to need to raise his three point percentage up to 40% and increase his two point shot to at least 50%. If he can’t do that, he won’t be truly a good player, just a guy who’s noticeable and thus overrated. He has a long ways to go but does have the talent to get there I think.

"downvote"

Partly rust maybe, but his shooting numbers are pretty consistent with his career. Even his best year in New York, his shooting efficiency wasn’t good enough to make him a good player. Just a guy who took shots and people noticed his style so he seemed better than he really is, a la Antoine Walker or someone like that. But, like I said, he has the talent to get better, good coaching, and a bunch of really good offensive players around him. He’ll get a lot of good looks. He has no excuse to not get closer to the 50-40-85 standard he needs to be at. If he keeps his Recent performance up long term, all will be good. But this can’t be a good stretch. It needs to be the normal.

If you believe what you're posting, then you must have really been on the ledge about to jump when we traded for him. Glad you didn't jump!

(02-15-2020, 06:43 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 05:21 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Partly rust maybe, but his shooting numbers are pretty consistent with his career. Even his best year in New York, his shooting efficiency wasn’t good enough to make him a good player. Just a guy who took shots and people noticed his style so he seemed better than he really is, a la Antoine Walker or someone like that. But, like I said, he has the talent to get better, good coaching, and a bunch of really good offensive players around him. He’ll get a lot of good looks. He has no excuse to not get closer to the 50-40-85 standard he needs to be at. If he keeps his Recent performance up long term, all will be good. But this can’t be a good stretch. It needs to be the normal.

My hope, even prediction, is that his NY inefficiency was due to the offense he was in and the load he carried, his inefficiency this season is from rust and learning a new system, and that his Feb #s are more like what we'll see from a healthy confident KP and an in sinc KP and Luka.

Having said that, 50/40/90 with a .683 TS% with good volume over a number of years is HOF level.

Yeah, hard to see why one player should be held to a standard far above most all-stars before he can be a "good," much less great, player.

I favored the trade.  Zinger has potential. He’s young.  Mavs gave up no player of value and some mediocre draft picks and got back some other decent assets.  As for the standard to hold him to, it’s max player standard.  If your value is as a stretch five, you have to knock down your shots at an elite rate to be max worthy.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Mapka - 02-16-2020

(02-15-2020, 08:50 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I favored the trade.  Zinger has potential. He’s young.  Mavs gave up no player of value and some mediocre draft picks and got back some other decent assets.  As for the standard to hold him to, it’s max player standard.  If your value is as a stretch five, you have to knock down your shots at an elite rate to be max worthy.

That's not how this works.
To be medi-max-worthy your overall performance and fit at the right times have to be worth this contract adjustied to the player the team could have had instead.
I really like our chances for KP to be worth his.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Hypermav - 02-16-2020

[Image: EQ3jA1xUcAEfRQ9?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]

Tiny Luka growing out of the basketball lol.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Hypermav - 02-21-2020

https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1231042302824472576?s=20

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - StepBackJay - 02-21-2020

Man KP looks good. Looks like an all-star to me.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - haveitall - 02-21-2020

A few observations on Porzingis in the last few games:

- The and one at the foul line looked so Dirklike it was eerie.
- He has a ton of fire and passion for the game.
- He is slowly becoming a decent passer, something he could not do in NY.
- He dominates in the midrange.
- Defense is amazing.
- Only downside is how fragile his body looks, but lately he has been doing a better job falling. 
He now tends to fall on the butt instead of his feet with knees getting bent
- Interviews like a coach.
- Somehow his face looks like Carlisle. 
- Looks like a star.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ClutchDirk - 02-21-2020

In the not so distant past people were questioning the contract the Mavs gave him...

https://media.giphy.com/media/iMKhDJTaNM5yw/giphy.gif

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1231065208619225088

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ThunderMav - 02-22-2020

https://twitter.com/AndrewDBailey/status/1231232079565746176

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Kammrath - 02-22-2020

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Hypermav - 02-26-2020

"All that said, it’s easy to imagine what a Doncic, Porzingis, and Hardaway trio would look like in the lesser Eastern Conference. In a cruel twist of fate, Porzingis’ early stretch of dominance during the 2017-18 season torpedoed New York’s chances of climbing in the lottery to take the Wonder Boy.

Seeing Doncic and Porzingis don the orange and blue would have been enough to put many Knicks fans in a permanent state of nirvana. But alas, now Knicks fans can only watch what could have been from a distance."

https://elitesportsny.com/2020/02/17/kristaps-porzingis-tim-hardaway-jr-are-flourishing-away-from-new-york/

This could go in THJ's thread as well.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - fifteenth - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 03:23 PM)Hypermav Wrote: "All that said, it’s easy to imagine what a Doncic, Porzingis, and Hardaway trio would look like in the lesser Eastern Conference. In a cruel twist of fate, Porzingis’ early stretch of dominance during the 2017-18 season torpedoed New York’s chances of climbing in the lottery to take the Wonder Boy.

Seeing Doncic and Porzingis don the orange and blue would have been enough to put many Knicks fans in a permanent state of nirvana. But alas, now Knicks fans can only watch what could have been from a distance."

Wow. Luka and KP with the Knicks would have been a complete waste.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ClutchDirk - 02-26-2020

http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/28783095/how-kristaps-porzingis-sets-luka-doncic-nba-best-offense