MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SportPsychMav - 12-04-2019

I think it is mostly a mental challenged for him.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Fuerza1 - 12-04-2019

The TNT crew ripped Porzingis a new on at halftime. During the game, Reggie Miller said he was too weak. Remember, KP posted lots of sexy instagram pics showing off his muscles. And he's still getting pushed around, playing passive, etc. 

His defense/rebounding has been good but in the grand scheme of things, we need his offense to come around to not only justify his contract but to take the team to the next level. As it stands right now, we're probably a really good regular season team but gets exposed in a 7-game series.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - StepBackJay - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 01:34 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: I think it is mostly a mental challenged for him.

Ya I do think that's it. I don't think his head is right at least on offense. Altho its hard to explain how he still good on D. Maybe on D he is not thinking and on O he is thinking too much?

I don't know why he always does the turnaround shot. Can he not do some face up stuff like Dirk? Hold the ball above your head because you are 7'3 and dare them to come up. He should be a triple threat. Other players do this as well. KP would get a much better look at the basket than doing a spin around move.

(12-04-2019, 04:45 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 01:34 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: I think it is mostly a mental challenged for him.

Ya I do think that's it. I don't think his head is right at least on offense. Altho its hard to explain how he still good on D. Maybe on D he is not thinking and on O he is thinking too much?

I don't know why he always does the turnaround shot. Can he not do some face up stuff like Dirk? Hold the ball above your head because you are 7'3 and dare them to come up. He should be a triple threat. Other players do this as well. KP would get a much better look at the basket than doing a spin around move.

Watching KP highlights he has done face up triple threat before, he has rolled to the rim before for dunks, he has put the ball on the deck and driven to the basket. These are things he isn't doing now. Earlier in the season he was putting the ball on the deck and losing it a lot because I think he wasn't being smart with it and he his handles are probably still rusty. All we see now are 3s and spin-around jump shots.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SportPsychMav - 12-04-2019

The difference between O and D is that on D it is all about effort and REACTING. Catch and shoot on O is REACTING. Creating your own shot is a totally different beast mentally.

That's the difference between what he does well and doesn't. 

Watching KP highlights he has done face up triple threat before, he has rolled to the rim before for dunks, he has put the ball on the deck and driven to the basket. These are things he isn't doing now. Earlier in the season he was putting the ball on the deck and losing it a lot because I think he wasn't being smart with it and he his handles are probably still rusty. All we see now are 3s and spin-around jump shots.
He was never really good at that though, not as abyssmal as this season, but never great.
It's great that he focusses on playing for the team instead of forcing himself back. He probably will be an elite roleplayer this season and hopefully can improve in the off-season. We need to give him credit for taking a backseat on O and focussing on D. He really just wants to win. He has his money already.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - StepBackJay - 12-04-2019

I think he is definitely contributing as a role player I just don't know that he is going to be happy with that all season. We will see, he still has plenty of time to figure things out.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Jym - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 07:56 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I think he is definitely contributing as a role player I just don't know that he is going to be happy with that all season. We will see, he still has plenty of time to figure things out.

I think he'll be fine especially as long as he keeps getting these same consistent minutes which he no doubt should.
It was my main worry that the fans would turn against him this year tho before he got everything figured out, but that shouldn't be an issue as long as they keep on winning.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - StepBackJay - 12-05-2019

VERY encouraged by last night's game. KP looked a lot more comfortable. He had a shot or two that bricked hard early I think. He is going too strong when he shoots sometimes. We have been asking why doesn't he do some face up stuff with a triple threat option and sure enough he did that multiple times. It lets him get a much better look at the basket. Sure Kawhi can spin around and make those shots with his back to the basket but it's a freaking hard shot. Dirk mastered the 1-legger of course. For KP, he is so tall he can protect the ball. I loved seeing him do a rip through move that got him to the the free throw line. There is no reason he can't do this several times a game + shoot 3s + get some nice put-backs. He had some big clutch points late in that game including a big dunk or two and a dagger 3.

The other thing about KP is man he is a presence near the rim. It is not fun driving to the basket when he is patrolling the paint. Even when he is not logging a lot of blocks he affects shots and generally deters guys from going into the paint.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - embellisher - 12-05-2019

(12-05-2019, 10:02 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: The other thing about KP is man he is a presence near the rim. It is not fun driving to the basket when he is patrolling the paint. Even when he is not logging a lot of blocks he affects shots and generally deters guys from going into the paint.

This. I think his offense will come around eventually, he's too skilled not to get it going. But his defense is something the Mavs have never really had.

Tyson was a good rim protector, but he didn't alter near as many unblocked shots just by being in the paint as KP.

Kristaps makes people afraid to take the ball inside, knowing that there's a good chance it's going to be swatted back in their face or into the stands. Like Moses Malone or Mark Eaton back in the day. He alters twice as many inside shots as he blocks, if not more.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ClutchDirk - 12-05-2019

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - iolide - 12-05-2019

Man, KP talking in spanish; he said some gold things.

Said that him and Luka are still in the process of getting to now each other on the court and jell. Luka is doing incredible things, i am here to support him and to keep putting up incredible numbers and keep winning games.

Said Our objective is to make the playoffs. The season is long, we are going to stay humble and keep on working to see how far we get.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Scott41theMavs - 12-05-2019

(12-04-2019, 07:56 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I think he is definitely contributing as a role player I just don't know that he is going to be happy with that all season. We will see, he still has plenty of time to figure things out.

"He's not going to be happy with that?" If the Mavs continue to force-feed him offensively, they will lose games they would otherwise win. If KP preferred being the man - or *a* man, since Luka is here - to winning while making max money, I would want him out of here. Fortunately, I don't at all believe that he is the douche that that theoretical player would be. He's very much acting as a team player, and is a big part of what the Mavs are doing. Anyway, if he were to be fussing about not getting more touches, etc., while playing poorly offensively, then he would have nowhere but the mirror to cast blame.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - StepBackJay - 12-05-2019

(12-05-2019, 02:24 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

"He's not going to be happy with that?" If the Mavs continue to force-feed him offensively, they will lose games they would otherwise win. If KP preferred being the man - or *a* man, since Luka is here - to winning while making max money, I would want him out of here. Fortunately, I don't at all believe that he is the douche that that theoretical player would be. He's very much acting as a team player, and is a big part of what the Mavs are doing. Anyway, if he were to be fussing about not getting more touches, etc., while playing poorly offensively, then he would have nowhere but the mirror to cast blame.

I know man, I am purely speculating when I have seen a guy who was clearly the number 1 alpha dog in NYC come to Dallas not to be the co-alpha star but more of a complimentary piece - I have concerns long-term. Right now it's all good and we're winning. I also think KP is going to figure it out. If he likes winning more than he likes being the man then this is a good situation and it's still possible that he can emerge as the "co-star" he wants to be. Only time will tell.

Another thing I am encouraged by with KP is seeing him line up sometimes in the corner or in the dunker's spot on the baseline looking to crash for offensive rebounds or put-backs. I do think he is slowly figuring out where his offense will come from. There's no reason he can't be a 20 ppg scorer on semi-efficient shooting (higher than he has been in his career). I do wonder if the handles are ever going to return post-ACL but even if they aren't 100% there they will still be better than average for his position and it's not essential for his offensive game.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SportPsychMav - 12-05-2019

https://nolimitjumper.files.wordpress.com/2019/12/img_0910.jpg?w=1024&h=655&crop=1

On this picture you can see how gigantic KRISTAPS really is.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ClutchDirk - 12-06-2019

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1202959712259641344

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - StepBackJay - 12-06-2019

Let Luka do his thing, that's a winning formula.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Tyler - 12-06-2019

(12-06-2019, 11:39 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1202959712259641344

Thanks!  I'd love to read a synopsis from someone with a subscription.  I've heard several people talk about how KP has changed his game and would be very interested in hearing more detail.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - StepBackJay - 12-06-2019

(12-06-2019, 12:32 PM)Tyler Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 11:39 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1202959712259641344

Thanks!  I'd love to read a synopsis from someone with a subscription.  I've heard several people talk about how KP has changed his game and would be very interested in hearing more detail.

It's worth a full read but basically KP has changed his game to fit the Mavs and he's happy with that because we are winning. Cuban sticks up for him saying he's impacting the game defensively and with his spacing. KP does acknowledge he isn't getting more touches and acknowledges his offensive struggles. For now it seems like he gets it.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Scott41theMavs - 12-06-2019

(12-06-2019, 01:48 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:

Thanks! I'd love to read a synopsis from someone with a subscription. I've heard several people talk about how KP has changed his game and would be very interested in hearing more detail.

It's worth a full read but basically KP has changed his game to fit the Mavs and he's happy with that because we are winning. Cuban sticks up for him saying he's impacting the game defensively and with his spacing. KP does acknowledge he isn't getting more touches and acknowledges his offensive struggles. For now it seems like he gets it.

I'm very pleased with the guy as it is now. Haters gonna hate, complainers gonna complain.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - mavsluvr - 12-06-2019

Synopsis --

He is having to change his game completely to fit the Mavericks' system. In NY, he was the first option, and usually played with the ball. The Mavs want him to space the floor and act as a PNR target. They are trying to get him to eliminate midrange jump shots and post-ups outside the paint. Both those kinds of efforts were encouraged by the Knicks. 

KP has bought in to the idea, but says actually implementing the change has proven very hard. But Luka is looking out for him, and getting him the ball when the opportunity presents. 

Cuban and Carlisle have persuaded Kristaps to concentrate on his total impact on the game, rather than individual statistics. Cuban compared his situation to that of Powell. Powell doesn't have big numbers, but his rolls to the basket open up layups and easy threes for his teammates, and impact the team in a positive way. KP makes a major impact with his defense, rebounding, shooting, and spacing. It's not just about points. 

Courtney Lee, Porzee's teammate in NY, says Kristaps' role with the Knicks was to carry the team. Here, Luka does that, and Kristaps has more of a supporting role, while also being able to serve as a second anchor, in a different way. 

Porzingis says he has been very down on himself this season, and is disappointed that all his hard work this summer has not completely translated into better performance on the court. However, he is enjoying winning, and thinks playing with Luka is fun.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ClutchDirk - 12-07-2019

https://twitter.com/TheFrankIsola/status/1203191509723598848

https://media.giphy.com/media/1hBpHdYhBykSBSxIVK/giphy.gif