MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - fifteenth - 09-27-2021

Clutch!!! <3

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 09-27-2021

(09-27-2021, 05:10 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Clutch!!! <3

https://media.giphy.com/media/kbQYe1eiKYfKB03Igv/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47q1wcgfq9hx0q3n136ahk8ar48rhc43p29ec0ihi0&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - fifteenth - 09-27-2021

sometimes you wanna go....

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 09-27-2021

This place is my Cheers...always will be...I have met so many smart and cool Mavs fans from all over the world because of this Community...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 09-27-2021

Tell license plate guy to post here, he seems like a smart fella.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 10-07-2021

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10014256-luka-doncic-kristaps-porzingis-feud-rumors-called-fake-news-by-mavs-jason-kidd

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ThisIStheYear - 10-21-2021

Looks exactly the same to me.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SwisherPrice - 10-21-2021

New coach, rested offseason, blah blah blah. It doesn't matter...that won't change the fact that he's a slow 7'3" big man without much of an all-around offensive game. No team will want him though, we are stuck

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Jason Terry - 10-21-2021

Too soon to call up Philly?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 10-22-2021

(10-21-2021, 09:11 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Too soon to call up Philly?

I would hope that call has happened six weeks ago, if Nico is very good at his job. Obviously Philly would have/has turned it down. Unless Nico can get Cuban to accept the reality that a best case return for Porzingis is something like Hield/Bagley or Ross/Bamba, we´lll never get rid of him.  And that´s a good outcome for the Mavs, which Cuban would 100% consider an insult.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - JamesConway - 10-23-2021

https://twitter.com/mavsdraft/status/1451608925917298693?s=21

I used to go back to this stat A LOT (in the sense of that he actually has that skill in him when healthy) during his first season here where he was in the single digits percentile in post plays for a long time at the beginning of the year, but at some point you gotta be honest and face the facts. I think the idea of KP being remotely „good“ in post plays is just not gonna happen anymore for whatever reasons. Tbh he didn’t even look good in those plays during preseason. 

I guess he just lost that skill through all the injuries and/or was just red hot for a while in his allstar year.

A few positives though:

- he looks genuinely better/quicker on defense so far 
- he can impact the game on offense in plenty other ways than the postplay
- he should benefit a lot from playing faster as he’s still very quick for a player his size when we’re talking about north-south quickness. He should get plenty easy buckets that way.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Chicagojk - 10-23-2021

I probably don't see KP as a really good post up player ever, but I think there are other ways to use his height.    One basket tonight he got position and Luka got him the ball and he went right up at the block with a nice little jumper.   Those are the plays I want to see more of him from (Although I will be honest, he is not the best at keeping a defender on his back).  I also like the plays at mid range where he can make quick decisions and use his length and athleticism vs strength.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - soog - 10-24-2021

Good stuff from Mavs Moneyball on the resurgence of KP’s defense: 
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/platform/amp/2021/10/24/22743163/kristaps-porzingis-rim-protection-is-back

Some highlights from the article:

In the 2020-21 season, Porzingis had career lows across the board in all block statistics. Through the first two games of this season, he is off to a career high start in all block statistics. He may not be able to maintain quite this pace, but it is apparent that he has vastly improved in this area. He recorded 4 or more blocks only once all of last season in 43 games. He has already done so once in two games this season. He recorded at least two blocks in 21 of those 43 games. He has done so in both games this season.”

He is also allowing an absurdly low 22.2 percent shooting at the rim thus far. That number is absolutely unsustainable but it is much better to be off to a good start than a bad one. He is contesting a much lower number of shots at the rim this season. That number should also go up as the season moves along but a lower number of contested shots at the rim can also be a positive sign for a rim protector.”

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 10-24-2021

(10-24-2021, 07:23 PM)soog Wrote: In the 2020-21 season, Porzingis had career lows across the board in all block statistics. Through the first two games of this season, he is off to a career high start in all block statistics. He may not be able to maintain quite this pace, but it is apparent that he has vastly improved in this area. He recorded 4 or more blocks only once all of last season in 43 games. He has already done so once in two games this season. He recorded at least two blocks in 21 of those 43 games. He has done so in both games this season.”

He is also allowing an absurdly low 22.2 percent shooting at the rim thus far. That number is absolutely unsustainable but it is much better to be off to a good start than a bad one. He is contesting a much lower number of shots at the rim this season. That number should also go up as the season moves along but a lower number of contested shots at the rim can also be a positive sign for a rim protector.”

Thanks for sharing. Confirms everything we are seeing with our eyes.

The biggest and most exciting takeaway of these two games is the team defense, which includes more activity and deflections as a whole as well as KP looking so much better.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Jym - 10-25-2021

(10-24-2021, 07:40 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Thanks for sharing. Confirms everything we are seeing with our eyes.

The biggest and most exciting takeaway of these two games is the team defense, which includes more activity and deflections as a whole as well as KP looking so much better.

Yeah from the moment we got him I thought people were way overhyping his offensive potential
With him it's always been defense and why I was so disappointed in him last year. He was down right horrible at times on that end. If anything he exceeded what I thought he could do in terms of offensive efficiency
Hopefully he can keep up this defensive impact and overall activity. A game changer

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ThisIStheYear - 10-25-2021

As long as he can play effective defense, chip in an average of about 8.5 rebounds a game, and maybe score 17.5 efficient points a night (TS% ~60%), he’ll be a net plus.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 10-25-2021

(10-25-2021, 08:27 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: he’ll be a net plus.

That is really the only thing that matters. Of course, his bloated salary is still an issue if that net plus is a small number....BUT him being a net plus at least makes the contract tolerable and the team should be VERY competitive.

Last year KP was -6.9 on the defensive end. This KILLED the Mavs last year, just KILLED them. In two games (small sample size theater!!!!) this year he is +13.6. Of course his offensive impact has been an ABOMINATION this year (shooting 33% and 23% from three doesn't help), but the strides defensively are super promising.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 10-25-2021

(10-25-2021, 09:35 AM)Kammrath Wrote: That is really the only thing that matters. Of course, his bloated salary is still an issue if that net plus is a small number....BUT him being a net plus at least makes the contract tolerable and the team should be VERY competitive.

Last year KP was -6.9 on the defensive end. This KILLED the Mavs last year, just KILLED them. In two games (small sample size theater!!!!) this year he is +13.6. Of course his offensive impact has been an ABOMINATION this year (shooting 33% and 23% from three doesn't help), but the strides defensively are super promising.

We've only got two players that are shooting worth a crap so far, and neither of them is KP or Luka.  THJ (52% from the floor, 53% from 3) and Brunson (40% from the floor, 57% from 3) are the only players playing worth a dang offensively, so I would be pointing out the entire team is an ABOMINATION at this point offensively.

Luka 41% from the floor, 23% from 3
DFS  33% from the floor, 22% from 3
Dwight  50% from the floor (yay), 0% from 3
Maxi 25% from the floor, 28% from 3
Sterling Brown 12% from the floor, 14% from 3
Reggie Bullock 14% from the floor, 10% from 3

When you look at that list, you realize that 23% from there is horrible, but still equal to or better than most on the players who are getting minutes.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - embellisher - 10-25-2021

(10-25-2021, 10:00 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: We've only got two players that are shooting worth a crap so far, and neither of them is KP or Luka.  THJ (52% from the floor, 53% from 3) and Brunson (40% from the floor, 57% from 3) are the only players playing worth a dang offensively, so I would be pointing out the entire team is an ABOMINATION at this point offensively.

Luka 41% from the floor, 23% from 3
DFS  33% from the floor, 22% from 3
Dwight  50% from the floor (yay), 0% from 3
Maxi 25% from the floor, 28% from 3
Sterling Brown 12% from the floor, 14% from 3
Reggie Bullock 14% from the floor, 10% from 3

When you look at that list, you realize that 23% from there is horrible, but still equal to or better than most on the players who are getting minutes.

Unless we somehow have a team wide JRich effect, these numbers should all go up, based on everybody's career percentages. I'm still not too worried about scoring. 

The question is, how close to real is the defense we've seen so far? If it's sustainable at even 80% of what we've seen, it will be the best team defense we've had since 2011.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Omega_Supreme - 10-25-2021

KP's go to move should be a right shoulder and left shoulder Jump hook. 

He does not have to be fancy, that is it. 

If he masters that, with his height, he can be a MF problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS26Nf9lwUE