MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Dundalis - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 02:39 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 02:29 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 02:25 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 02:22 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 12:03 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I would really like for KP to work on not getting shook from contact. To me that is the biggest factor in him turning the corner. It seems every time he gets bumped even a little, his control of the ball becomes an issue. Dirk had to figure that out early in his career too. I'd love to see Dirk attend some practices to help the big fella out in many facets of the game.
The one other thing I'd like to see him work on is putting a body of the defender when he sets a pick. This was pointed out by someone else previously in this or another thread and ever since I've been noticing how poorly he sets a pick. That more than anything probably has to do with why Luka and he are seemingly not on the same page. He scores best off the pick and roll and KP can't set a pick to save his life.
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1201551914556624897
Ya, I saw that after I posted. The eye test is way off from the stats, at least to me. Either way, he still doesn't set meaningful picks, he mostly puts a hand on the defender and goes to his spot.
It tells you how awesome Luka is at running an offense...
I was going to say. I think I could be out there setting the pick and the PPP from my pick setting would be ranked pretty high. Because Luka is the one actually ensuring points are scored off the action.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - fifteenth - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 02:25 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: we're not as dumb as y'all think

Who is "we" and who is "y'all"?

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - burekemde - 12-02-2019

To me it is interesting KP looked very good in the first games of the season, and also offensively in the paint. He was getting inside and getting passes and dunks. Then he hit some kind of a wall, looked terrible in the paint and shooting the 2, and lately mainly stays outside and shoots 3 pointers.

To me that suggests it is a mental problem. And that is great as that will turn around. It is not physical at all.

Defensively he has been a force. Even if not adding nearly as much on offense as expected, he has turned games around due to his great defensive play.

i think he will become better on offense.

His major issue is how bad he is setting the screens, its beyond horrible. If he gets better at that watch out for the pick and roll with Luka and KP. That should revive his inside game. Before he starts setting proper screens, forget about the inside game, all he can do is to shoot the 3. Which is still fine at the moment given how great he is on defense.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - pedroffabreu - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 12:45 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 12:03 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I would really like for KP to work on not getting shook from contact. To me that is the biggest factor in him turning the corner. It seems every time he gets bumped even a little, his control of the ball becomes an issue. Dirk had to figure that out early in his career too. I'd love to see Dirk attend some practices to help the big fella out in many facets of the game.

How cool would it be to have KP mentored by Dirk?  The possibilities are endless.  Really has all the ability to be All-NBA.  Dirk's moves on offense with KP's defensive skillset?  I know that asking him to BE Dirk is not fair to him.  On the other hand, I have optimism that KP's abilities in some ways surpass Dirk's.  I think he is just rushing and needs time to have the game slow back down again.  It will happen - especially if his work ethic is strong.
It's not like they were not familiar with each other before KP went to Dallas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnNrA5c7gYA

It's a match made in heaven. He will not find a better place to tune his game.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Mavsfan12 - 12-03-2019

(12-02-2019, 08:12 PM)pedroffabreu Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 12:45 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote:

How cool would it be to have KP mentored by Dirk?  The possibilities are endless.  Really has all the ability to be All-NBA.  Dirk's moves on offense with KP's defensive skillset?  I know that asking him to BE Dirk is not fair to him.  On the other hand, I have optimism that KP's abilities in some ways surpass Dirk's.  I think he is just rushing and needs time to have the game slow back down again.  It will happen - especially if his work ethic is strong.
It's not like they were not familiar with each other before KP went to Dallas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnNrA5c7gYA

Nice vid.  One thing that jumps right off the screen is how he has built his body up.  Dirk wasn't a bulky guy, but he seems like the hulk sitting next to 2017 KP.  Seeing KP in his NYK jersey in game action that seemed to be several sizes to big was pretty funny.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ItsGoTime - 12-03-2019

(12-02-2019, 08:12 PM)pedroffabreu Wrote: It's not like they were not familiar with each other before KP went to Dallas:

I remember that video when it was made. I did like the comment by KP, I want to play for the Knicks my whole career and win a championship for them. Kinda flies in the face of the venom spit at him after he left.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SportPsychMav - 12-03-2019

He needs way more credit for focussing on anchoring the defense and hustling. He plays to win. He needs to be given credit willing to be a role player on offense for now.

Shouts out Kristaps!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - StepBackJay - 12-03-2019

Man KP is having a tough time offensively. He got beat up by the TNT crew who is observing now the same thing we have seen for weeks. KP is very passive. He does not look confident anywhere inside the 3 point line. He tried to post up some against New Orleans and it just did not look good. His handles have not been good this year. One of the things that makes him unique is that he can out the ball on the floor and really cause  a lot of problems. He has regressed since earlier in the year. You do not see him using his crossover move much. I don't know why he can't try to get deeper position in the paint against smaller players. If the other team puts a small I don't see why he can get very deep near the basket and get off an easy shot. When he does post up he is closer to the elbow and he is just throwing up bricks. I can't believe how bad it's been. Surely it can only get better. Otherwise he is basically a defensive center that shoots 3s.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - dirkfansince1998 - 12-03-2019

Only played 17 minutes today. Will he play tommorrow?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - donzingis38 - 12-03-2019

Positive: We're winning even with KP struggling. Imagine when he finally finds his game. Watch out. But at least he's helping out defensively with 5 blocks tonight.

Negative: Lets face it. He's so soft right now. With that size, he should be punishing smaller guys. This is where I miss Dirk when it comes to low post plays. Luka tried to get him going.

Anyway, I'm sticking to what I said before the season. Not gonna expect anything from him this season like how Hayward was when he came back from his injury. We need to be patient.

I think year 2 or 3 is when he's really gonna be killing it along with Luka and whoever that legit 3rd starter they will acquire.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - cow - 12-03-2019

It's going to take time for KP offensively. Yes he took a long time to come back and make sure his body was healthy, but you still need the wear and tear of an NBA season to trust your body again. It might be next season before he is fully comfortable and confident. He's making up for his offensive woes on the defensive side of the ball. My only worry about him is his mental state or rather his happiness. Winning certainly helps but I do have some fears about him asking out of this situation.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Tyler - 12-04-2019

Cuban on KP: 

“I think the most underappreciated change has been K.P,” Cuban said of Kristaps Porzingis. “I don’t there’s ever been a max-out player like that, who has changed his game to fit what’s needed for the team, as quickly as K.P. has. Literally starting with the Toronto game.”

The Nov. 16 home win over the Raptors started this nine-game run in which Dallas has outscored opponents by an average of 16 points per game.

After the Mavericks opened this trip with a win at Phoenix, a game in which Porzingis scored only two points but contributed 13 rebounds and three blocks, Cuban made a point to find his $158 million power forward.

“I went up to him and said, ‘Thank you. I’ve never seen as much impact, as much of a changing of a game, from someone who just scored two points,’ ” Cuban said. “And he’s doing it all the time.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2019/12/04/as-luka-doncics-dominance-continues-mark-cuban-raves-about-underappreciated-mavs-star-kristaps-porzingis/

For reference, the Toronto game was the first game after the second NY debacle.  So it sounds like Cuban attributes a big chunk of the improved Dallas play to KP accepting a new role.  He clearly still has a ways to go offensively, but I love to hear this type of positive news about the chemistry behind the scenes.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SleepingHero - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 12:03 AM)Tyler Wrote: For reference, the Toronto game was the first game after the second NY debacle.  So it sounds like Cuban attributes a big chunk of the improved Dallas play to KP accepting a new role.  He clearly still has a ways to go offensively, but I love to hear this type of positive news about the chemistry behind the scenes.

Is Cubes wrong though? KP has been one of the best, if not THE best, player(s) at defending the rim this season. He's been guarding that paint and making life a living hell. KP also has become an above average rebounder for the first time in his career. He's getting close to 10 a game! On of our biggest criticisms was that he couldn't rebound to save his life!

KP managed to maintain his elite defensive identity, add stellar rebounding to his game, all the while working his way back into game shape and learning an entirely new offense that gets him looks he never got in NYK. Dude has been remarkable. Without KP, the Mavs are not 14-6 right now.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ItsGoTime - 12-04-2019

This is about where I thought he'd be at this time this season offensively. Lots of ups and downs as he's figuring everything out. Didn't think we'd see the defense and rebounding we've seen though. He is contributing, while figuring it out.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Lucky Luciano - 12-04-2019

4 blocks in the first quarter alone!!! Stats are too fun not to ask the question how many would he have had if he could have played 36 minutes!

Definitely in the "running" for DPOY!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - StepBackJay - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 12:51 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 12:03 AM)Tyler Wrote: For reference, the Toronto game was the first game after the second NY debacle.  So it sounds like Cuban attributes a big chunk of the improved Dallas play to KP accepting a new role.  He clearly still has a ways to go offensively, but I love to hear this type of positive news about the chemistry behind the scenes.

Is Cubes wrong though? KP has been one of the best, if not THE best, player(s) at defending the rim this season. He's been guarding that paint and making life a living hell. KP also has become an above average rebounder for the first time in his career. He's getting close to 10 a game! On of our biggest criticisms was that he couldn't rebound to save his life!

KP managed to maintain his elite defensive identity, add stellar rebounding to his game, all the while working his way back into game shape and learning an entirely new offense that gets him looks he never got in NYK. Dude has been remarkable. Without KP, the Mavs are not 14-6 right now.

I think that this uneasy peace will only last this season at most. KP is too good to be Tyson Chandler with a 3 point shot. He is going to want to be more involved in the offense. Right now everything runs through Luka. They tried feeding him a bunch in the post last night and he sucks at it. He has been a guy with a lot of offensive tools since he came into the league. I refuse to believe he has no post skills. I need to watch some old highlights again. He has stopped putting the ball on the deck lately because I think he has fumbled the ball away so much. It's a mess right now. Again it's great he can anchor our defense but I think he wants to be a 20 point scorer and all star, not a defensive role player.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SportPsychMav - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 09:38 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:

I think that this uneasy peace will only last this season at most. KP is too good to be Tyson Chandler with a 3 point shot. He is going to want to be more involved in the offense. Right now everything runs through Luka. They tried feeding him a bunch in the post last night and he sucks at it. He has been a guy with a lot of offensive tools since he came into the league. I refuse to believe he has no post skills. I need to watch some old highlights again. He has stopped putting the ball on the deck lately because I think he has fumbled the ball away so much. It's a mess right now. Again it's great he can anchor our defense but I think he wants to be a 20 point scorer and all star, not a defensive role player.

He has never been good in the post, but this year is still his worst.

First 2 years he shot about 36% , before his injury about 42% and this season so far 27%

He shoots 67% in the paint this season but just 2 attemps. per game

On Drives he shoots just 16% this season.

He was never better than 42% on Drives before.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ClutchDirk - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 09:38 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:

[Image: iwd7rqnfbon31.jpg]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Flipper - 12-04-2019

Something that has been both interesting and frustrating is the lack of calls KP is getting, especially on the block. When he was in NY and guys would get under him he would get whistles all the time. I have to imagine that is frustrating for him (evident by the tech he got last game). I think I have seen one call on a KP post up all year. Not an excuse for his poor shooting or lack of strength down there, but it surely has to affect him at least mentally.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ItsGoTime - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 12:40 PM)Flipper Wrote: Something that has been both interesting and frustrating is the lack of calls KP is getting, especially on the block. When he was in NY and guys would get under him he would get whistles all the time. I have to imagine that is frustrating for him (evident by the tech he got last game). I think I have seen one call on a KP post up all year. Not an excuse for his poor shooting or lack of strength down there, but it surely has to affect him at least mentally.
This is the playing through contact that I've been talking about. Getting bumped here and there is a part of the post up game. He either needs to accentuate the bumps or be able to play through them. Until he gets to the point where he can play through them, he should probably work on accentuating the contact or making the contact bigger by sweeping moves as opposed to direct ones.