MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 07-07-2021

(07-07-2021, 02:03 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: When he bulked up at the beginning of the 2019 season his defense was at an all time high. Unfortunately his offense was inconsistent. As the season went on, he slowly lost that muscle mass and became more agile, and his offense came storming back.

We need a good middle ground. I hope KP returns to his former defensive glory.
Yep, so quit building upper body muscle mass that adds weight and screws with your shot. Just build lower body… and hugs, gotta have hugs!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - JamesConway - 07-07-2021

What a fall from grace, I still can’t fully grasp it tbh. For years I had little to no doubt about his abilities on the court, it was always exclusively the durability factor. Right now I’m in favor of keeping him around for one more year. I’m putting all my chips into the argument that his issues have been due to rushing back from the meniscus injury and that the bubble-version of him is still there.

I still believe in the unicorn.

https://giphy.com/gifs/Qz5qqMop4LGx5giOvp

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - michaeltex - 07-08-2021

I know physical conditioning is a key attribute for a professional athlete, but KP's issues aren't with upper body strength. I think the consensus is agility and confidence to take advantage of size mismatches. Dirk spoiled us to that and I'd like to see KP become more effective that way. Luka's already trying to use the one-legged lean back and KP needs to add it to his arsenal.

Instead of hugging a bouncy ball, I'd rather see him getting worked out by somebody who knows how to develop a big man.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Scott41theMavs - 07-08-2021

(07-07-2021, 02:27 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Yep, so quit building upper body muscle mass that adds weight and screws with your shot. Just build lower body… and hugs, gotta have hugs!

We can all hope that KP's even higher center of gravity is some other team's problem next year.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - JamesConway - 07-08-2021

The locked on guys had Nick De Paula on their show. According to him a few years ago Nike has the option to match a 7yr offer for Porzingis from Adidas.....and declined.

https://youtu.be/zsGzTvEf68A

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-08-2021

Sorry if this has already been posted:

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/7/5/22562843/was-kristaps-porzingis-role-one-of-the-reasons-for-the-mavericks-front-office-rift

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - JamesConway - 07-08-2021

Another worrisome part compared to season 1 is that he struggled so much in the minutes without Luka on the court this year, too. IIrc he put up better individual numbers in season 1 whenever Luka was out.

Also the FT drawing just vanished.

It’s pretty much indefensible what happened. The only way to look positive at his decline is with the theory in mind that being 12 more months away from the meniscus injury might help turn things around for him.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 07-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 05:09 PM)JamesConway Wrote: According to him a few years ago Nike has the option to match a 7yr offer for Porzingis from Adidas.....and declined.

If true, that would potentially say a lot about how Nico values KP as a player....

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 07:09 PM)Kammrath Wrote: If true, that would potentially say a lot about how Nico values KP as a player....

The guest went out of his way to explain Nike's decision as not being a referendum on how Nico valued KP.  Monster 7 year offer from Adidas and limited budget for Nike.  It was interesting how shoe companies have matching rights when another company tries to pilfer their client.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 07-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 07:09 PM)Kammrath Wrote: If true, that would potentially say a lot about how Nico values KP as a player....

Seems like Nike is mostly in the business of selling shoes

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 07-08-2021

What I don´t get is this whole: Clippers were a bad match-up.

How?

Why were they a bad match-up now and not 12 months ago with virtually the same team?

Why is Zubac, a traditional center, a bad match-up for Porzingis? Who is the right kind of match-up?

It´s not like the Clippers started with small ball. Porzingis was ineffective from the first game. He basically performed the same through all six games no matter what the Clippers did, no matter who he had to defend or who defended him. That´s probably saying something about Porzingis and also the Mavs coaching staff.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 07-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 10:51 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: How?

Why were they a bad match-up now and not 12 months ago with virtually the same team?

Why is Zubac, a traditional center, a bad match-up for Porzingis? Who is the right kind of match-up?

It´s not like the Clippers started with small ball. Porzingis was ineffective from the first game. He basically performed the same through all six games no matter what the Clippers did, no matter who he had to defend or who defended him. That´s probably saying something about Porzingis and also the Mavs coaching staff.

Who's arguing that the Clippers weren't a bad matchup 12 months ago? Out of all the teams in the West, the Clips were probably the worst team the Mavs could have faced and I thought that was a pretty universally understood. They have 2 all-world players at a position the Mavs are weakest in. 

Also the Clips had some major personnel changes that affected how KP played against them this year. They got smaller and faster. They lost Montrez, who KP was a good matchup for KP. They instead added Batum and Ibaka. 2 more athletic 4's and defense oriented. Last year KP had a fantastic series. Many of us thought the Mavs would be swept but were surprised by Luka's brilliance in his debut playoffs. The Mavs were in control of game 1 until KP was ejected in the 3rd. They won game 2. KP got injured game 3 and by then Luka's bad ankle hampered him enough where the Mavs slowly lost their edge. 

How KP performed in the series this year seemed largely gameplanned. RC wanted KP playing that role. Why? Well that's what he thought KP was good for. Mavs were outscoring the Clips with KP out there. It was the bench and lack of offensive creation that did the Mavs in. 

There seems to be obvious disagreements for how KP was used between the front office and RC, and it was probably one of the factors that led to RC leaving.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 07-09-2021

(07-08-2021, 11:40 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Who's arguing that the Clippers weren't a bad matchup 12 months ago? Out of all the teams in the West, the Clips were probably the worst team the Mavs could have faced and I thought that was a pretty universally understood. They have 2 all-world players at a position the Mavs are weakest in. 

Also the Clips had some major personnel changes that affected how KP played against them this year. They got smaller and faster. They lost Montrez, who KP was a good matchup for KP. They instead added Batum and Ibaka. 2 more athletic 4's and defense oriented. Last year KP had a fantastic series. Many of us thought the Mavs would be swept but were surprised by Luka's brilliance in his debut playoffs. The Mavs were in control of game 1 until KP was ejected in the 3rd. They won game 2. KP got injured game 3 and by then Luka's bad ankle hampered him enough where the Mavs slowly lost their edge. 

How KP performed in the series this year seemed largely gameplanned. RC wanted KP playing that role. Why? Well that's what he thought KP was good for. Mavs were outscoring the Clips with KP out there. It was the bench and lack of offensive creation that did the Mavs in. 

There seems to be obvious disagreements for how KP was used between the front office and RC, and it was probably one of the factors that led to RC leaving.

1. Well I sure would like to see those posts from 12 months ago, when Porzingis put up 23/9 on 53% 3pt shooting. Sometimes you guys will just pull all sorts of sh*t out of your arses (excuse my language) to suit your agendas. If anything PG/Kawhi would be an match-up excuse for Luka to have a shitty series.

2. Ibaka played 18 MINUTES in the whole series. Harrell averaged 16 MPG last year.

3. If Batum is the level of player that makes playing Porzingis a match-up problem, then we should get rid of him right now.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 07-09-2021

(07-09-2021, 01:26 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: 3. If Batum is the level of player that makes playing Porzingis a match-up problem, then we should get rid of him right now.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 07-09-2021

(07-09-2021, 01:26 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: 3. If Batum is the level of player that makes playing Porzingis a match-up problem, then we should get rid of him right now.

It's not the level of player, it's the archetype.

6'6-6'9 forwards that have a perimeter game and are switchable on defense gives EVERY big in the NBA fits. The only 2 that have shown they can consistently handle that type of archetype are Jokic, Bam Adebayo, and Deandre Ayton. Anthony Davis had issues against Mikal Bridges. Joel Embiid got nearly played off the floor against Cam Reddish and Deandre Hunter (before he went down). 

Rudy Gobert who many here would give a leg for got destroyed by Terrance Mann and yes Batum. It's less about the individual matchup rather than the overall game plan. 

All 3 put up big numbers individually but they all had issues being able to switch effectively/consistently on the defensive end. 

All 3 are as elite as they get for big men in the NBA. All 3 got sent home packing by small ball. So no. Batum being able to matchup well against KP is not an indictment of him as a player. The only way to beat small ball is to match it or make sure your big man is varied enough on both the offensive and defensive end to make it a matchup nightmare.

KP nearly was that last series. He was still a net positive this year as well. That's why I have hope he can bounce back in a fresh system and full offseason of training with no injuries. 

By the way, before you say AD and Embiid were injured and it obviously effected their performance, both of them are apart of the rare group that can't stay on the floor more than KP.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - JamesConway - 07-09-2021

(07-08-2021, 07:21 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The guest went out of his way to explain Nike's decision as not being a referendum on how Nico valued KP.  Monster 7 year offer from Adidas and limited budget for Nike.  It was interesting how shoe companies have matching rights when another company tries to pilfer their client.
Might be nothing/something. I thought it was interesting enough to be shared. If KP gets traded this summer it would be the second time Harrison didn’t want to put his chips into the KP basket. 

The biggest thing for me: It’s fun to have new variables in place. If Donnie and Rick were still around I probably would have punted the offseason and not follow their usual dysfunctional  FA/draft/trade desaster at all. With Harrison around things are at least new and exciting and we don’t know the usual, unsuccessful modus operandi already for weeks in advance.

Hopefully this doesn’t go south again lol.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-09-2021

I was encouraged about how things might work if KP stayed when I read this yesterday.  If we had a stronger bench and didn’t have to platoon so much…

Then I realized that when KP sits, Luka is basically playing with bench guys.  Non-KP lineups have Willie or Powell, THJ, JRich or Finney (or both) and occasionally Brunson.  Maxi didn’t play much in these lineups.  This isn’t a feel-good story about how KP helps Luka.  It is a feel-bad story about how bad our depth is.

There is a huge variance in the success of non-Luka lineups.  At least KP usually had THJ, Maxi and Brunson on with him anytime he was on the floor without Luka.  KP’s efficiency may have suffered (that is probably because he usage went way up), but if the lineup had DFS in it the lineup worked.  If it paired THJ with JRich, it didn’t.  

“The funny thing is that at least on offense, both Dončić and Porzingis played much better when they were on the floor together last season. Porzingis shot 53 percent from the field and 43 percent from three, and 28 percent of his shots were at the rim with Dončić on the court. Porzingis’ usage rate increased when Dončić was off, but his efficiency plummeted. Porzingis shot just 40 percent from the filed, 31 percent from three, and 20 percent of his shots were at the rim with Dončić on the bench.” 

“It worked the other way around too. Dončić had more space and was more efficient with Porzingis spacing the floor. Dončić shot 53 percent from the floor, 41 percent from three, and 26 percent of his shots were at the rim with Porizngis on the floor. These numbers dropped to 45 percent from the field, 32 percent from three, and 18 percent of Dončić’s shots at the rim with Porzingis off the court.”

“It’s obvious that on offense, a Dončić/Porzingis pairing works well. Lineups that featured both of them were in the top 95 percentile in offensive efficiency last season. The challenge is on defense and in the locker room.” 

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ReunionMav - 07-09-2021

Great job of having the numbers to back this up Dan. Watching the playoffs has certainly backed your numbers with the eye test. The number of great shooting perimeter players who can use picks and shoot right over good big man defense is going up rapidly. It started with no defense rules changes and Steph and Dame. 

I also agree with the need for depth improvement from guys 2-10. Everyone needs to be moved down at least one spot. With one legitimate 2-4 most talented player at a wing position, a 2way player, then any improvement from a current player would be magnified.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 07-09-2021

(07-09-2021, 07:10 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: “It’s obvious that on offense, a Dončić/Porzingis pairing works well. Lineups that featured both of them were in the top 95 percentile in offensive efficiency last season.” 

This feels more like an analysis of stats without watching games.  Luka and KP on the floor should not be described as "works well" because even if their percentages are higher playing together, they don't work well with one another and the frustration between the two is obvious.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 07-09-2021

(07-09-2021, 06:36 AM)JamesConway Wrote: Might be nothing/something. I thought it was interesting enough to be shared. If KP gets traded this summer it would be the second time Harrison didn’t want to put his chips into the KP basket. 

Honestly Harrison probably correctly evaluated his injury risk, so why would you want to associate yourself with him as a shoebrand, especially when his home market is Latvia and his worldwide appeal is miniscule? At least with Dirk you get Germany and with Luka you get a transcendent superstar.

Nike - our shoes give you ACLs, MCLs and bad backs.

Btw Harrison also turned down Lavine in 2017 after coming off his ACL. Injuries could play a huge factor in shoe decisions. Lavine at least had the super dunker factor, the legendary contest with Gordon, but maybe Harrison wasn´t sure he would maintain this explosive marketable part of his game after the ACL.

Now obviously making decisions based on shoes is slightly different than NBA rosters, but it could be a "character trait" that Harrison adopts into his GM role, then Porzingis is in big trouble.