MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 07-05-2021

Wasn't there some data that suggested Luka and KP were deadly running that play?...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 07-05-2021

(07-05-2021, 11:49 AM)Hogmelon Wrote: Imagine if KP did nothing this summer but miraculously mutate into a great (or good, or above average) DEFENSIVE player.

He already has that in him (unless injury has truly failed his body completely). 

I still believe that everything for KP hinges on finding an offensive fit with Luka. Because IF he does that I think he becomes a much better defender. I think his defensive issues are between the ears and I feel like this past season when he looked "right in the head" his defense was solid to good. When he looked uninterested and checked out he was about as bad as you can get. 

I think RC being gone is a huge positive for his head space. But I think connecting with Luka on the O is the next key. 

I think KP is "fragile" mentally and stabilizing that is the key to untapping his potential. And I think having him understand his role on O and LIKE his role on O goes a LONG way in that.

P.S. I think we might discover that RC was about the worst possible fit for KP as a coach. I think KP needs more "coddling"....I think RC tried to do that with public comments, but I am fairly certain KP saw through the act.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 07-05-2021

(07-05-2021, 11:55 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Wasn't there some data that suggested Luka and KP were deadly running that play?...

Cuban claimed something, but I struggled to find the data to really back it up. So not sure....

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 07-05-2021

Found this on page 79...maybe this is what I am remembering...

Doncic has formed a strong partnership with Porzingis, especially on pick plays. According to Second Spectrum, the Mavericks have averaged 1.18 points per direct pick when Doncic is the ball handler and Porzingis is the screener. That is the most efficient combination in the league among duos to run 300 picks. -- Matt Williams

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - JREwing - 07-05-2021

I wonder if KP getting too-few touches was less Luka's prerogative and more Rick.

If Rick wanted him to get more touches, it sure didn't look like he was positioned for them.

Well, maybe it was Bob telling Rick what to do with KP. Because of the 'data'.

What a weird, messy end to the season. Let's hope everyone at least gets on the same page.

Skin is right ( I think) that we won't get good value for KP now, so it's best to hang on to him a little longer and see how he does next year.

I think his knee may have needed more time to fully recover than what he got, so he may play up to his potential.

Frankly, that would make this team a contender, when you consider how total his disappearing act was, and how close the Mavs came to beating a team that got to the WCF and gave Phoenix a good challenge despite losing Kawhi.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-05-2021

(07-05-2021, 05:46 PM)JREwing Wrote: Skin is right ( I think) that we won't get good value for KP now, so it's best to hang on to him a little longer and see how he does next year.

Do you think that KPs value is close to rock bottom right now? In my opinion it is just as likely that his value tanks even more. One more mediocre season or even worse an injury and we are talking about the worst contract in the league.
I get that he could improve but that´s not a given.

RE: Trading KP

I would honestly ask Luka. He knows.

I would ask him, "Is KP a guy you are ready to roll into battle with? Is he capable of helping you to that next level?"

If Luka wants to give it one more season I am ALL IN. If Luka has seen enough, I trade him now regardless of the return.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - khaled1987 - 07-06-2021

(07-05-2021, 09:13 PM)Kammrath Wrote: RE: Trading KP

I would ask him, "Is KP a guy you are ready to roll into battle with? Is he capable of helping you to that next level?"

If Luka wants to give it one more season I am ALL IN. If Luka has seen enough, I trade him now regardless of the return.

The last thing I want is making Luka an assistant GM. That is a recipe for disaster
Especially after years of hearing Cuban saying players make lousy GM. 
I would make that question to Kidd and Nico.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 07-06-2021

(07-06-2021, 03:22 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: I would make that question to Kidd and Nico.

Then there should be zero trading of KP if that is what you want. Kidd and Nico don't know. They haven't been in a work environment with KP. They haven't walked alongside him psychologically through the rigors of the season. If you want Kidd and Nico to truly make the decision themselves (and do it in an informed way) then you have to NOT trade KP. 

Also, I am NOT suggesting "making Luka GM" and that is a gross misrepresentation of my suggestion. It is seeking INFORMATION from Luka, who KNOWS about his teammate. THEN letting the GM use that information to build the team in the right way.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 07-06-2021

(07-06-2021, 07:54 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Then there should be zero trading of KP if that is what you want. Kidd and Nico don't know. They haven't been in a work environment with KP. They haven't walked alongside him psychologically through the rigors of the season. If you want Kidd and Nico to truly make the decision themselves (and do it in an informed way) then you have to NOT trade KP. 

This assumes that you're correct about his problems being psychological. 

I do not think they are, or at least I don't think that's anywhere near the main concern. I think 90% of the problems with KP were physical, and I believe anyone who watched him play here last year likely came to their Mavs interview absolutely loaded with opinions about what to do about him. 

Doesn't mean they'll trade him. In fact, I think I agree that these changes make it likely they won't.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 07-06-2021

(07-06-2021, 03:22 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: The last thing I want is making Luka an assistant GM. That is a recipe for disaster
Especially after years of hearing Cuban saying players make lousy GM. 
I would make that question to Kidd and Nico.

Hires Finley and Nowitzki to make head coaching and GM decisions. Big Grin

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - mavsluvr - 07-06-2021

(07-05-2021, 11:58 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I think KP needs more "coddling".
That may be true, but I wonder how that will sit with Luka. We have already received indications that Luka is not amused by KP's acting out. 

Not sure exactly what you mean. The team should overlook misbehavior off the court? On the court? Pay more attention to letting him play the way he wants? Hang out with him at the strip clubs? Something else?

I hope these questions do not come across as snarky. I am sincerely interested in your (and anyone else's) thoughts on the matter.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 07-06-2021

(07-06-2021, 08:01 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: This assumes that you're correct about his problems being psychological. 

I do not think they are, or at least I don't think that's anywhere near the main concern. I think 90% of the problems with KP were physical, and I believe anyone who watched him play here last year likely came to their Mavs interview absolutely loaded with opinions about what to do about him. 

Sure, psychological AND chemistry/fit related. 

I would assume that Nico and Kidd KNOW how important those elements are. Sure, they may agree with you that KP has physical issues...BUT wouldn't it be presumptuous to not listen to those on the inside who would offer a different perspective? Wouldn't they want to talk to the training staff? Luka? Other coaches? Gather information? 

THAT'S my point. And my opinion is that Luka would have one of the most important perspectives. So I would put him at the top of my list if I was GM of who to talk to about KP.

(07-06-2021, 08:31 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: That may be true, but I wonder how that will sit with Luka. We have already received indications that Luka is not amused by KP's acting out. 

Not sure exactly what you mean. The team should overlook misbehavior off the court? On the court? Pay more attention to letting him play the way he wants? Hang out with him at the strip clubs? Something else?

I hope these questions do not come across as snarky. I am sincerely interested in your (and anyone else's) thoughts on the matter.

Well since you are speaking frankly, so will I.

Based on what I have read and heard (so these are FAN assumptions and dot connecting from me), it sounds to me like RC is a narcissist and had created an ambient abusive environment within the lockerroom and even front office. I have lived in those kind of environments and they are horrible. You are constantly on edge, ready for the next round of gaslighting, blame-shifting, etc. I'll leave it at that for now.

IF this is true (and again I am piecing things together from afar), then that environment could be completely debilitating to someone who is an empath and inclined to much more sensitivity to the people around them. If KP is that kind of person (as I suspect), then RC would be horrible to work with and for. ALSO, I suspect that KP has a fragile ego that needs someone to truly be more gentle in navigating him (hence my use of "coddling")....not in the sense of not holding him accountable, but holding him accountable in a firm, yet gentle and empathic way. Not like an asshole. In retrospect I regret using "coddle" because I think that ended up being unhelpful. I think KP needs kinder and more empathic souls around him, who can hold him accountable. He needs to be treated like a man, but it needs to be in an environment that is frankly more loving and less abusive.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-06-2021

(07-06-2021, 08:40 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Well since you are speaking frankly, so will I.

Based on what I have read and heard (so these are FAN assumptions and dot connecting from me), it sounds to me like RC is a narcissist and had created an ambient abusive environment within the lockerroom and even front office. I have lived in those kind of environments and they are horrible. You are constantly on edge, ready for the next round of gaslighting, blame-shifting, etc. I'll leave it at that for now.

IF this is true (and again I am piecing things together from afar), then that environment could be completely debilitating to someone who is an empath and inclined to much more sensitivity to the people around them. If KP is that kind of person (as I suspect), then RC would be horrible to work with and for. ALSO, I suspect that KP has a fragile ego that needs someone to truly be more gentle in navigating him (hence my use of "coddling")....not in the sense of not holding him accountable, but holding him accountable in a firm, yet gentle and empathic way. Not like an asshole. In retrospect I regret using "coddle" because I think that ended up being unhelpful. I think KP needs kinder and more empathic souls around him, who can hold him accountable. He needs to be treated like a man, but it needs to be in an environment that is frankly more loving and less abusive.

Thing is that he had the same or even worse problems in NY. Even asked to be traded. I don´t think the environment you are asking for exists in a success driven league like the NBA. And the NBA is already more player friendly/centric than most leagues outside of the US.

(07-06-2021, 08:50 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Thing is that he had the same or even worse problems in NY. Even asked to be traded. I don´t think the environment you are asking for exists in a success driven league like the NBA. And the NBA is already more player friendly/centric than most leagues outside of the US.

Absolutely. I am not trying to paint KP as some sort of "kind and loving saint." He clearly has had huge diva issues and made some massively selfish decisions himself. And maybe his "empath" stuff is all an act and he is a narcissist too that brings his own toxicity into the equation. Or maybe Janis is a big issue. Who knows.

My only point: 

IF the environment in the lockerroom that was painted in the last few weeks was just the tip of the iceberg THEN there is huge possibility that all the dynamics could change. IF KP needs good "head space" to perform (especially defensively) THEN there is a possibility that the front office changes could allow him to be a totally different and more impactful player. IF those things are true, THEN I can 100% see giving KP another year to figure it out with Luka. 

Look, that's a lot of "IFs" and I am just fan speculating for fun. I still in my gut want KP traded THIS summer....but I can see a scenario where it might be best to hold onto to him and see what the new environment does for him. 

Thankfully I am not making the decision. Hopefully the medical staff, Luka, and a whole bunch of other voices with help inform Nico and Kidd and help them make the right call.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - mavsluvr - 07-06-2021

(07-06-2021, 08:40 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Well since you are speaking frankly, so will I.

Thanks for clarifying your thoughts.

It sounds to me like you think it may be likely that KP withered under Carlisle's regime, and he would respond much better to a "player's coach," who relies mostly on positive reinforcement, rather than another disciplinarian. 

Since we're speaking frankly today, I have to say that there have been a lot of things about KP's attitude that haven't sat too well with me. Going to the strip club during the playoffs, even though it was off limits, and risking a suspension. Being unavailable for a game during last season's playoffs, because he didn't get his test done on time. The off-court incidents. Repeatedly checking out during games. Airing his grievances in the media. Always dissatisfied about something, and seemingly more focused on himself than the team. 

Maybe Carlisle was running a horror show in the locker room, but we didn't see that kind of attitude issue with the other players, for the most part. Given that KP also had these kinds of issues in NY, I suspect the problem at least partly lies with him. 

By all accounts, J Kidd has learned to relate well with players, and may provide a boost to KP's morale. I hope so. But there are some people who constantly think the world is doing them wrong, and act out their dissatisfaction with passive-aggressive behavior.

We are obviously doing quite a bit of armchair psychologizing based on incomplete information, but someone at the Mavs is bound to have a handle on what the situation really is. If they decide to roll with KP for now, I can understand that. It was thrilling to think, when the trade happened, that KP could be that unstoppable offensive player while also serving as a first-class rim protector, and they may not be ready to give up on that dream. 

I will cheer for him if he is still here, of course, but I have come to think that his physical decline, injury history, extreme tallness, and troubling attitude would take a lot of the sting out of losing him, especially if they can get some kind of reasonable return. It would be an admission of failure by the front office, but the shakeup in that department would make that decision easier, I'm guessing. 

I hope Kidd makes all the difference, as you suggest he might. It's not as easy to be loved as a head coach as it is as an assistant. Holding people accountable, even if done fairly and gently, doesn't always leave the person in a positive frame of mind.

(07-06-2021, 09:34 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: It sounds to me like you think it may be likely that KP withered under Carlisle's regime, and he would respond much better to a "player's coach," who relies mostly on positive reinforcement, rather than another disciplinarian. 

Since we're speaking frankly today, I have to say that there have been a lot of things about KP's attitude that haven't sat too well with me. Going to the strip club during the playoffs, even though it was off limits, and risking a suspension. Being unavailable for a game during last season's playoffs, because he didn't get his test done on time. The off-court incidents. Repeatedly checking out during games. Airing his grievances in the media. Always dissatisfied about something, and seemingly more focused on himself than the team. 

Maybe Carlisle was running a horror show in the locker room, but we didn't see that kind of attitude issue with the other players, for the most part. Given that KP also had these kinds of issues in NY, I suspect the problem at least partly lies with him. 

By all accounts, J Kidd has learned to relate well with players, and may provide a boost to KP's morale. I hope so. But there are some people who constantly think the world is doing them wrong, and act out their dissatisfaction with passive-aggressive behavior.

We are obviously doing quite a bit of armchair psychologizing based on incomplete information, but someone at the Mavs is bound to have a handle on what the situation really is. If they decide to roll with KP for now, I can understand that. It was thrilling to think, when the trade happened, that KP could be that unstoppable offensive player while also serving as a first-class rim protector, and they may not be ready to give up on that dream. 

I will cheer for him if he is still here, of course, but I have come to think that his physical decline, injury history, extreme tallness, and troubling attitude would take a lot of the sting out of losing him, especially if they can get some kind of reasonable return. It would be an admission of failure by the front office, but the shakeup in that department would make that decision easier, I'm guessing. 

I hope Kidd makes all the difference, as you suggest he might. It's not as easy to be loved as a head coach as it is as an assistant. Holding people accountable, even if done fairly and gently, doesn't always leave the person in a positive frame of mind.

100% with you. Good stuff here.

There are lots of different possibilities here. Don't take my musings and speculation as me thinking "I KNOW" (I don't).

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Radical Mavs - 07-06-2021

(07-05-2021, 09:13 PM)Kammrath Wrote: RE: Trading KP

Like this?

Kyrie Irving Has The Power To Trade Nets Players If They Disagree With Him (msn.com)

(07-06-2021, 09:45 AM)Radical Mavs Wrote: Like this?

No. Not at all like that. Was suggesting nothing of the sort.

[Image: giphy.gif]