MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 02:33 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: To me, at this point, KP dump trades are about flexibility in rebuilding the roster. It's hard to build a roster when you have $30 mil a year sunk into a center who can't defend and isn't all that great shakes on the offensive end either - and then there's the ticking bomb of his health. If you can get even one rotational piece that is usable for the medium term, you're ahead of the game. If you take on some more bite-sized mini-albatross contracts that are easier to move, that also creates flexibility. In spite of the poo-pooing of some posters, I am big on going as close to trading him into space as possible.

This is what I was saying about a month before the trade deadline. People thought I was bananas. It's probably still a decent way to go, it's just that my head is spinning so much about the Mavericks right now even my opinions are paralyzed. Further mistakes, at this stage, would be catastrophic. 

I just hope the new President/GM is the right person(s) for the job. Once we know what's going on with that, we'll all (hopefully) feel a lot better.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Scott41theMavs - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 02:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is what I was saying about a month before the trade deadline. People thought I was bananas. It's probably still a decent way to go, it's just that my head is spinning so much about the Mavericks right now even my opinions are paralyzed. Further mistakes, at this stage, would be catastrophic. 

I just hope the new President/GM is the right person(s) for the job. Once we know what's going on with that, we'll all (hopefully) feel a lot better.

To me, whether Bob is fired (or it's publicized that his contract won't be renewed) is the canary in the coal mine for the next five days or so.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Guwop - 06-21-2021

How about a 3 team trade with WAS & DAL & PHI 

Dallas receives Beal (WAS) & Thybulle (PHI) and gives up KP
Phi receives Westbrook (WAS) and gives up Simmons 
WAS receives Simmons (PHI) & KP (DAL) and gives up Westbrook and Bradley Beal 

this trade make all teams better IMO... Dallas clearly wins it but all parties benefit lol 

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-21-2021

(06-21-2021, 10:26 AM)Guwop Wrote: How about a 3 team trade with WAS & DAL & PHI 

Dallas receives Beal (WAS) & Thybulle (PHI) and gives up KP
Phi receives Westbrook (WAS) and gives up Simmons 
WAS receives Simmons (PHI) & KP (DAL) and gives up Westbrook and Bradley Beal 

this trade make all teams better IMO... Dallas clearly wins it but all parties benefit lol 

Lol didn't mean to like this post and I can't unlike it for some reason. Anyways this trade would never happen in a million years. Sorry to burst your bubble!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-21-2021

One idea I saw in a blog was just KP for Hield straight up which was another interesting idea to me.

Mavs would get some extra cap space in the process and Hield is a good shooter/scorer. 

I am resigned somewhat to the fact that KP won't be traded but I can drream!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - juanc - 06-22-2021

Ok I know that KP is the hot potato in the Mavericks(fans) hands, and everybody wants to get rid of him, but hear me out.

First of all, his value is at an all time low, and that wouldbe just poor asset management. I think that the Mavs are one of the poorest franchises when it comes to assets(OK we have Luka, but we know he isn't getting traded - like having the biggest gold coin in the kingdom, but other than that, you are struggling to find food Big Grin ). But things change in the NBA fast.

This will also be the first offseason in 3-4 years, where KP won't be recovering from an injury, and will have all the time to work on his game(Also Latvia isn't playing in any qualifiers this summer). And KP also knows he needs to evolve his game. A big factor here is also him getting more comfortable with his knees(that was a big reason, at least IMO, he wasn't the KP we used to see in 19/20(at least after january and in the bubble).
In his first three offseasons in the NBA, before the injuries, he allways added something to his game, and I belive this will also be the case this year.

And also there is a new head coach comming to Dallas. This can go both ways, but I think we have seen KP in his lesser role(as a spot up shooter), and there is just no way he'll get even less touches.

So when I look at all the facts, I think that this is(barring another injury) KP's rock bottom value. He still has value as a floor spacer, one little thing I hope he can add to his game is the offball around the basket game(kind of like Capella has(He has shown some flashes in the PO's when our favourite playmaker Boban feed him from the elbow).

I belive there is a bigger probability of KP at least restoring/getting back a little bit of his value, than there is of him loosing it. Heck even loosing one year on his contract is adding value Big Grin

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-22-2021

@juanc you raise some good points. If I can get out of KP's contract one way or another I will probably pull the trigger but if he does stay for at least a little while longer there is a better than zero chance he looks good and raises some of his value.

We have seen some over-reaction to single series performances (Simmons, Gobert, KP) and I think some of that will reside the longer time goes on.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 06-22-2021

(06-22-2021, 03:08 AM)juanc Wrote: Ok I know that KP is the hot potato in the Mavericks(fans) hands, and everybody wants to get rid of him, but hear me out.

First of all, his value is at an all time low, and that wouldbe just poor asset management. I think that the Mavs are one of the poorest franchises when it comes to assets(OK we have Luka, but we know he isn't getting traded - like having the biggest gold coin in the kingdom, but other than that, you are struggling to find food Big Grin ). But things change in the NBA fast.

This will also be the first offseason in 3-4 years, where KP won't be recovering from an injury, and will have all the time to work on his game(Also Latvia isn't playing in any qualifiers this summer). And KP also knows he needs to evolve his game. A big factor here is also him getting more comfortable with his knees(that was a big reason, at least IMO, he wasn't the KP we used to see in 19/20(at least after january and in the bubble).
In his first three offseasons in the NBA, before the injuries, he allways added something to his game, and I belive this will also be the case this year.

And also there is a new head coach comming to Dallas. This can go both ways, but I think we have seen KP in his lesser role(as a spot up shooter), and there is just no way he'll get even less touches.

So when I look at all the facts, I think that this is(barring another injury) KP's rock bottom value. He still has value as a floor spacer, one little thing I hope he can add to his game is the offball around the basket game(kind of like Capella has(He has shown some flashes in the PO's when our favourite playmaker Boban feed him from the elbow).

I belive there is a bigger probability of KP at least restoring/getting back a little bit of his value, than there is of him loosing it. Heck even loosing one year on his contract is adding value Big Grin

Great post and thoughts.

Counterpoint:  While his value is low, it could go lower.  He's on an expensive contract that most are going to hesitate to trade for due to injury concerns.  Equal return for what we paid to acquire KP will never happen.  If he has a knee injury, you will probably be stuck with his contract for another three years.  A new coach could help but if Luka doesn't get KP more involved in the offense, KP is going to ask for a trade (further lowering his value).  We know Luka and KP don't mesh together on the court and there are grumblings that they might have personality conflicts off the court.  

I think KP has gotten a pretty raw deal with the Mavericks all and all.  He shares some blame of course but if I could get a reasonable trade offer for him, I wouldn't think twice.  In return for him, we are probably looking at a pu pu platter, equally bad contract or another flawed star.

I just don't see a happy ending here.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 07-05-2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E86xPqCD8w

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 07-05-2021

(07-05-2021, 10:41 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E86xPqCD8w
Man, I guess I don’t pay enough attention to Skin as I should. This is pretty much exactly my thoughts on everything me talked about.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 07-05-2021

(07-05-2021, 10:59 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Man, I guess I don’t pay enough attention to Skin as I should. This is pretty much exactly my thoughts on everything me talked about.

Only problem is that he didn´t mention the injured elephant in the room. If Porzingis was not such a health risk, nobody would consider trading him now, no matter how poorly he played in the play-offs.

Replacing the head coach and giving it another season is the usual first measure to get the star players on the same page. If that doesn´t work the trade is coming.

This all comes down to the injury risk evaluation.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 07-05-2021

(07-05-2021, 11:04 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: If Porzingis was not such a health risk, nobody would consider trading him now

I think health does indeed factor in a lot. 

I was very adamant that the threesome of Luka/KP/RC had, had, had to be broken up. With RC gone, I am willing to go into next season with KP. BUT I would prefer to trade him this summer still. But it isn't imperative anymore.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Chicagojk - 07-05-2021

(07-05-2021, 10:41 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E86xPqCD8w

I agree with his takes here.   There will always be an injury concern with him so I will never argue with someone who says we need to dump him ASAP.  

Personally, I think a lot of the names I see in trades for him are guys that don't really matter in the end.   KP play last year didn't matter but I believe the best of him is a guy who matters.  There are not many guys (40? 50?) of those in the league.   Can you find that again?

I agree that more motion is needed for this offense.  I have been focusing on another creator and I think KP could really flourish here.   He may not ever be a great pick and role guy with Luka as your offensive staple, but can you get him moving?   If he will never punish smaller guys in the post, have him coming off screens midrange and shooting over smaller players.   Then off that you can build off a pump fake and drive.   There are a lot of options I think you can build off him in mid range.   I envision getting him 4-5 baskets at the rim, 4-5 free throws, a few mid range shots, and 3-4 three attempts.  That right there puts him above 20 points a game and keeps him engaged.   The big question is his defense.   His play this year didn't give a lot of confidence there.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 07-05-2021

(07-05-2021, 11:04 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Only problem is that he didn´t mention the injured elephant in the room. If Porzingis was not such a health risk, nobody would consider trading him now, no matter how poorly he played in the play-offs.

Replacing the head coach and giving it another season is the usual first measure to get the star players on the same page. If that doesn´t work the trade is coming.

This all comes down to the injury risk evaluation.
It’s the measured approach he took with every statement. Say something, but leave room to be wrong. I find that approach refreshing in a sea of must have hot or cold takes about everything and snowball from there.

As far as KP’s health, even though he didn’t say it, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t think it. Can’t cover every single base all the time and sometimes one point you’re trying to make takes precedence over another opening that can of worms.

(07-05-2021, 11:21 AM)Chicagojk Wrote:  He may not ever be a great pick and role guy with Luka as your offensive staple, but can you get him moving? 

This is EVERYTHING for me about long term offensive fit. 

There were FLASHES of chemistry in the pick and roll with the two of them at times. Why didn't we see it more? KP not wanting to? KP just being that awful of a screen setter? Concerns about wear on KP's body as the screener? Poor coaching decisions? Luka preferring other options? 

I prefer KP gone THIS summer.....BUT there is a chunk of me that wants to see Luka and KP in the pick and roll with a brand new coaching staff, just to see. Cause "what if"? I LOVED the KP trade because of his D and what I thought he would be in the pick and roll with Luka. 

Imagine if KP did nothing this summer but work on being in the pick and roll....working on screens, on angles, on rolling, on slipping, etc.

(07-05-2021, 11:15 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I think health does indeed factor in a lot. 

I was very adamant that the threesome of Luka/KP/RC had, had, had to be broken up. With RC gone, I am willing to go into next season with KP. BUT I would prefer to trade him this summer still. But it isn't imperative anymore.
This is pretty much where I am. I think we will have a decent amount of time before the odds catch up to KP with injury. Last season I was hoping to see a return of KP in the playoffs so we could trade him in the offseason. Now I’m hoping for that at the beginning of the season in hopes of trading for the disgruntled star that moves next season.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 07-05-2021

(07-05-2021, 11:21 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I agree with his takes here.   There will always be an injury concern with him so I will never argue with someone who says we need to dump him ASAP.  

Personally, I think a lot of the names I see in trades for him are guys that don't really matter in the end.   KP play last year didn't matter but I believe the best of him is a guy who matters.  There are not many guys (40? 50?) of those in the league.   Can you find that again?

I agree that more motion is needed for this offense.  I have been focusing on another creator and I think KP could really flourish here.   He may not ever be a great pick and role guy with Luka as your offensive staple, but can you get him moving?   If he will never punish smaller guys in the post, have him coming off screens midrange and shooting over smaller players.   Then off that you can build off a pump fake and drive.   There are a lot of options I think you can build off him in mid range.   I envision getting him 4-5 baskets at the rim, 4-5 free throws, a few mid range shots, and 3-4 three attempts.  That right there puts him above 20 points a game and keeps him engaged.   The big question is his defense.   His play this year didn't give a lot of confidence there.
But that leads us right back to the elephant. He´s not Reggie Miller, Rip Hamilton or Tyson Chandler. Have you ever seen a 7´3 player used in such a manner? 

I´m absolutely 100% with you that would be the best use of Porzingis, but that also requires a heavy 7´3 player on bad knees to run around relentlessly (just on offense/don´t even mention defense), work around screens, make coordinated catch and quick release jump stops  and make well-timed cuts to the rim. More distance covered, more energy used, higher fatigue levels, higher risk of wear out and contact injuries.

I think you get a legit 2nd option and then you use Porzingis in pick and pop situation and as a spot up 3pt shooter, but he needs to learn to shoot over these smaller guys. He´ll never be able to consistently outrun them to an open spot, so he has to find ways to simply not be bothered by their presence.

The one thing I have 100% never understood, is why they didn´t use the Dirk trail three a 100 times. Let Luka drive and kick it back to the top, because that has multiple positive effects. Porzingis doesn´t have to run as far up and down the court and he also doesn´t have to run back as far to play defense.

(07-05-2021, 11:33 AM)Kammrath Wrote: This is EVERYTHING for me about long term offensive fit. 

There were FLASHES of chemistry in the pick and roll with the two of them at times. Why didn't we see it more? KP not wanting to? KP just being that awful of a screen setter? Concerns about wear on KP's body as the screener? Poor coaching decisions? Luka preferring other options? 

I prefer KP gone THIS summer.....BUT there is a chunk of me that wants to see Luka and KP in the pick and roll with a brand new coaching staff, just to see. Cause "what if"? I LOVED the KP trade because of his D and what I thought he would be in the pick and roll with Luka. 

Imagine if KP did nothing this summer but work on being in the pick and roll....working on screens, on angles, on rolling, on slipping, etc.
I also liked Skin’s idea of being a secondary action master where he gets the ball moving to the basket. Taking advantage of lapses in defense and coming off screens going to the basket. Doing that, he never needs to put the ball on the ground with those big strides. Even if he does, he is fine with a single dribble.

Other thing I found promising with him during the playoffs at times was when he got stuck, he found and passed to a wide open man. If he can keep that mentality it would go a long way for team basketball!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Hogmelon - 07-05-2021

(07-05-2021, 11:15 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I think health does indeed factor in a lot. 

Yes.  Definitely.

(07-05-2021, 11:15 AM)Kammrath Wrote:  I would prefer to trade [Porzingis] this summer still.

Yes.  Get the max value you can (whatever that may be) [considering the Mavs' most urgent needs and the expected "fit" of the incoming assets], and MOVE ON!  

Upward and onward ....

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Hogmelon - 07-05-2021

(07-05-2021, 11:33 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Imagine if KP did nothing this summer but work on being in the pick and roll....working on screens, on angles, on rolling, on slipping, etc.

Imagine if KP did nothing this summer but miraculously mutate into a great (or good, or above average) DEFENSIVE player.