MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-17-2021

MacMahon Nugget (from Lowe Podcast):

KP's relationship with Luka is "awkward." KP will not storm in and demand a trade, but he does not like playing in DAL at all.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 09:36 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: No...way.  I have been screaming at my TV all year on 5-7 plays just like that all year long.  If I was KP, I'd be pissed, adn it wouldn't be thinking "I'm better than that guy" (which I doubt seriously), but "hey, I'm open, I have a better shot than that."

Here's the problem with all you folks who beat me up when I say this stuff and get so righteously indignant when you think Luka can improve in this area.  He DOES take shots he should not take.  There have been loads of times that he's pissed his help off doing crap like the video above.  It doesn't destroy the fact that he's a generational talent to point that out and admit it.  It doesn't blame all the losses on him and it doesn't give KP a pass for when KP's been playing like crap.

BUT some of it does rest on Luka.  He's not perfect and a 40+ usage rate and having to put up 44/15/10 as an average will not get you from round 1 to a ring.  #fact

Luke reminds me of the classic extremely talented leader who really can do most things better than the people he leads...supremely talented, extremely high capacity, but those type of leaders can got the route of hovering over their direct reports, and because of their affinity and skill can't stand to watch someone take longer or not do as great a job as they do, so they end up taking over and pushing the person to the side.  Those subordinates either get used to having their work done for them or if they truly have talent, they leave because they want to be a part of it.  They get frustrated and most of them know, "Yes he's better", but they want to contribute and as a leader, you WANT people that care about contribution and selling out for the company (or team in this case)...and the high strung talent, you usually have to mentor into a more respectable understanding of life...the more talented, the more you put up with and vice versa.  It's the classic bottleneck -- in Luka's case, it's TERRIBLE that he assists on or scores like 80+% of the teams points.  Some of you wear that like a badge...that will get him to leave in a couple of years when he figures it out that he can't do that and win in the NBA.  That's not a shot, that's a reality.

It's a false dichotomy to say that if you point this out you somehow don't recognize the greatness of Luka or don't apppreciate him or are some KP fanboy.  You can do both, and honestly, I think that's the most balanced analysis of the team.  You can hate on KP all you want, but he's right...the ball is better when it moves, and when I say move, when the ball is moving, assists are more spaced out and come from several people.  20 assists by one player doesn't mean the ball was moving well, it means one dude moved the ball well...it often means it didn't move well.  Often the best basketball comes when the ball moves 3 passes off the drive and the shot you get is primo...the Mavs just didn't do that often last year.  They fell into Luka dribble until he scored or got someone a shot, and that wore him down.  Yes, he got them amazing shots, but in the 4th, in the playoffs, he and the team paid the price.

Even though Luka is probably as close as you can get to a player who can do it by himself, he can't through a deep playoff run, because no one can (which I pointed out was a lesson that MJ said he learned from the '86 series against the Celtics)...they've all got to be better.

But after a year of frustration, I'm not sure they will make it as constructed.

But that brings us back to the counter point. Who are the guys that are capable of driving and kicking it out to create the best possible shot. Three of the starters cannot put the ball on the floor (DFS, Kleber, KP). THJ can do it but he lacks the court vision to find the open guy.
I am not ignoring your point. Agree in general. Just think that it is hard to do the things that you are asking for with the current Mavs roster. Ball movement with multiple ballhandlers used to be the focal point of the Mavs offense in the late Dirk years. People  complained about the undersized lineups with multiple ballhandlers.
Best example is the Clippers series. The big difference between the role players was the ability to put the ball on the floor and make easy plays of the dribble. Morris, Batum and Jackson could do it. Mavs struggled.

We will see how the new coach approaches the situation. Will we see more play calling and less flow. Will the new GM add the necessary playmakers.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 09:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote: MacMahon Nugget (from Lowe Podcast):

KP's relationship with Luka is "awkward." KP will not storm in and demand a trade, but he does not like playing in DAL at all.

Feeling is mutual. Whoever lands RC should be forced to take KP as well.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 09:58 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Whoever lands RC should be forced to take KP as well.

Man for all we know (really) Carlisle quit today just to get away from that fraud.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 09:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: But that brings us back to the counter point. Who are the guys that are capable of driving and kicking it out to create the best possible shot. Three of the starters cannot put the ball on the floor (DFS, Kleber, KP). THJ can do it but he lacks the court vision to find the open guy.
I am not ignoring your point. Agree in general. Just think that it is hard to do the things that you are asking for with the current Mavs roster. Ball movement with multiple ballhandlers used to be the focal point of the Mavs offense in the late Dirk years. People  complained about the undersized lineups with multiple ballhandlers.
Best example is the Clippers series. The big difference between the role players was the ability to put the ball on the floor and make easy plays of the dribble. Morris, Batum and Jackson could do it. Mavs struggled.

We will see how the new coach approaches the situation. Will we see more play calling and less flow. Will the new GM add the necessary playmakers.

I don't disagree there and yes, the motion offense usually had that.  That's not the only way to move the ball for a good shot...that's a choice.  Teh bigger problem was not that our guys couldn't put it on the floor, but our guys showed no ability to stay in front of ANY player on the Clippers when they did, except may Zubac...and not very much.

I think this was why they wanted Delon Wright and Jason Richardson...honestly, it's why they should have kept Seth Curry.  Curry was able to run the pick and roll and make plays off the dribble in his FIRST stint here and you got the 50% from 3...and the missed fTs late as well...sigh.

Even so, you don't have to drive the ball to move it to the open spot and, that video above....you can go to any game of the season and see play after play like that.  Those were plays to be made and just ignored...maybe dude misses them and then we are all down KP's throat.  I'd much rather have that, than Luka jacking up crazy crap and be looking at an open max player who just doesn't get the ball.  At some point, you have to dance with who brought you and if you go down, you go down...you can't jury-rig and tap dance around who you are.  You are either good enough or you aren't.  They tried, good or bad, to cute their way around who they were and it cost them...  Maybe it WAS the only way to win, but they didn't...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-17-2021

(06-16-2021, 12:42 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: The free-flowing offense is nothing new in the NBA, many teams run it - including the Suns. However, most teams have multiple shot creators to make it work successfully. The Mavs don't have the personnel outside of Luka but they also had no real Plan B or C so thus the reliance on Boban.

Ya its going to be tough to fix that... I still think if you have guys that can hit open shots, Luka is so good that he can create a lot on his own. Ideally we'd have a second guy he can dump the ball to in traps that can make good decisions. Maxi and DFS are guys that we relied on too heavily in those situations. I felt like THJ let us down, he should have been better at being that 2nd guy but he sort of choked.

With KP I really thought he would be the trap buster because he would be unguardable in a 4 on 3 situation but he doesn't make good decisions I guess so they just stuck him in the corner.

We also thought J Rich would be the 2nd ball handler, good defender, decent shooter and of course that never panned out. Mavs could have used even an old Marc Gasol at the end of game 6 when they needed someone to make good passes.

I just think you need to blow most of this team up. Brunson was unplayable but has value. I still think Maxi and DFS have value on a Luka team since they are 2-way guys but I am open to anything.

Back to KP we will see if his value is as low as people say it is. I could see a new GM, coach trying to "make it work" a little while longer given their lack of trade options, if nothing else to try to raise his trade value.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 09:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: We will see how the new coach approaches the situation. Will we see more play calling and less flow. Will the new GM add the necessary playmakers.

I doubt it because of Luka and because of the way the NBA is played. Things are more flow now than ever and Luka knows how to run and offense, we just need better players around him.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Jommybone - 06-18-2021

The decoy thing. Can somebody help me understand that? I mean, I get what a decoy is. But once Carlisle said in a press conference that KP was being used as a decoy, the cat’s out of the bag at that point, right? And Kawhi didn’t keep guarding him. At least not much. So . . . ?

How was KP a decoy for more than a game or two?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-18-2021

Best potential KP partners:

- GSW: Wiggins-based. GSW may not see enough of an upgrade for the risk of KP but you never know.
- Wiz: Bertans, young guys, probably third team involved. Wiz are desperate enough to make a big move and the pieces they are giving up aren't that great.
- Hornets: Hayward-based, similar situation in Charlotte and they have a surplus of wings, guards but no center.
- Pels: Adams/Bledsoe. Pels need spacing and I think would like the upside of KP. Adams/Bledsoe are basically dumps. Adams fits Dallas much better. Dallas also gets their cap sheet in order given the much easier-to-move contracts. Pels have a surplus of picks. They could easily dump KP next year if it didn't work out.

That's ab it. I don't see an OKC deal. I think Horford would have been the target there, but Celtics already made that deal.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 06-18-2021

The Pelicans certainly could be game for it, considering the potential of his fit with Zion and their desperation to put a good time around him. I'd want a treasure trove of picks from them though considering how lacking the players they have to offer us are.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Jommybone - 06-18-2021

Why not for s&t Collins straight up? Hawks prefer Maxi? Really?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 09:30 PM)Branduil Wrote: The Pelicans certainly could be game for it, considering the potential of his fit with Zion and their desperation to put a good time around him. I'd want a treasure trove of picks from them though considering how lacking the players they have to offer us are.

I mean I know ppl keep saying that but then Pels will say your guy is owed 100 million dollars and no one wants him so this is what you get.

(06-18-2021, 09:34 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Why not for s&t Collins straight up? Hawks prefer Maxi? Really?

For KP? Nah that's not going to happen. I think Collins is gettable though. I am not even sure they end/want Maxi they would just like an asset back. I had been thinking Mavs would go max but that's kind of nuts. They could be in the mix if they want him though. I had a feeling Donnie was all ab Collins but not sure which direction the new GM will go.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 09:34 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Why not for s&t Collins straight up? Hawks prefer Maxi? Really?
Maxi is cheap, and a good, versatile defender who can hit open threes when healthy. I would argue that's basically how they're using Collins already, since his rim-running skills aren't maximized playing next to Capela.

(06-18-2021, 09:18 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Best potential KP partners:

- GSW: Wiggins-based. GSW may not see enough of an upgrade for the risk of KP but you never know.
- Wiz: Bertans, young guys, probably third team involved. Wiz are desperate enough to make a big move and the pieces they are giving up aren't that great.
- Hornets: Hayward-based, similar situation in Charlotte and they have a surplus of wings, guards but no center.
- Pels: Adams/Bledsoe. Pels need spacing and I think would like the upside of KP. Adams/Bledsoe are basically dumps. Adams fits Dallas much better. Dallas also gets their cap sheet in order given the much easier-to-move contracts. Pels have a surplus of picks. They could easily dump KP next year if it didn't work out.

That's ab it. I don't see an OKC deal. I think Horford would have been the target there, but Celtics already made that deal.

Going to amend my statement on Wiz. Looking back at https://fortyeightminutes.com/wizards-rumors-porzingis/ I think they are looking at KP on the cheap which would be Bertans and Bryant, maybe a pick if we are lucky.

KP would be an expensive upgrade combination of those guys (ie stretch big). Bryant has his own injury issues and is not known as a defender. KP has more defensive potential than he does. KP also has a lot more upside than Bertans.

Bertans is useful as a stretch big and the deal sheds a lot of future cap space for Dallas. Both Bertans and Bryant could be more easily moved in other deals. Sometimes the first deal isn't the main point, its trying to break a dollar into quarters so you can make other moves.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 10:06 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Bertans is useful as a stretch big

Bertans makes a lot of sense if you get RH in free agency.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 06-19-2021

(06-18-2021, 10:06 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I think they are looking at KP on the cheap which would be Bertans and Bryant, maybe a pick if we are lucky.

KP would be an expensive upgrade combination of those guys (ie stretch big). Bryant has his own injury issues and is not known as a defender. KP has more defensive potential than he does. KP also has a lot more upside than Bertans.

Bertans is useful as a stretch big and the deal sheds a lot of future cap space for Dallas. Both Bertans and Bryant could be more easily moved in other deals. Sometimes the first deal isn't the main point, its trying to break a dollar into quarters so you can make other moves.

The problem with all these mocked trades from other teams is that they're looking to snag KP for nothing. They think for whatever reason the Mavs would rather take air than retain KP, which I don't believe is the Mavs mindset at all. This basically nullifies any of these "KP for 2 mediocre role players and a pick" trades that are totally one-sided. 

Going to wait and see who is the new GM because anyone but Luka is available now, though I do think it's extremely likely the Mavs hope KP has a resurgence year and just retains him.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 06-19-2021

Best-case scenario is Mavs manage to turn KP into 7'2" Klay, he puts up 20/8 in the regular season and we trade him at the deadline before he gets exposed in the playoffs again.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - khaled1987 - 06-19-2021

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2093489

Just hope that other team front offices don't share same opinion about KP contract (he is currently 2nd in a poll about worst contract in the NBA)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 08:11 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: Just hope that other team front offices don't share same opinion about KP contract (he is currently 2nd in a poll about worst contract in the NBA)

I am not really huge Gobert fan but I don't think his contract is third worst. So I wouldn't really think a lot about this poll. KP contract is bad but some team might be enamoured with potential. Or some team might be desperate to add an upgrade.