MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 06-12-2021

(06-12-2021, 03:48 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's just a screenshot of KP's latest Instagram post. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQB_7G1L8o_/

That he apparently removed it, rather than the content itself, is more concerning. Confused

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-12-2021

(06-12-2021, 04:19 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: That he apparently removed it, rather than the content itself, is more concerning. Confused

KP has not removed anything

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 06-12-2021

(06-12-2021, 04:19 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: That he apparently removed it, rather than the content itself, is more concerning. Confused

Daton's tweet loads for me just fine and KP's instagram post is still there so nothing has been removed from anyone.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 06-12-2021

(06-12-2021, 04:27 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: KP has not removed anything

Strange, last time I clicked on the link it says post was removed. Now it´s back up.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 06-12-2021

(06-12-2021, 08:38 AM)MFFL Wrote: Can you imagine the crowing New York would be doing if we had taken Mitchell instead of Smith in the draft?
Mavs would not have traded a perfect backcourt partner for Luka, one would hope.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Scott41theMavs - 06-12-2021

(06-12-2021, 07:35 PM)Branduil Wrote: Mavs would not have traded a perfect backcourt partner for Luka, one would hope.

If anything, given how good Spida had already established himself to be, much better than DSJ's supposed "promise," I think the Mavs would have still done the deal, but we wouldn't have had to send any picks, if they negotiated well at all. But we still would have rued the deal.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 06-12-2021

(06-12-2021, 08:29 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: If anything, given how good Spida had already established himself to be, much better than DSJ's supposed "promise," I think the Mavs would have still done the deal, but we wouldn't have had to send any picks, if they negotiated well at all. But we still would have rued the deal.
IMO in that situation it's far more likely we just try to poach KP in the offseason with cap space. We're not going to trade a guy who almost won ROTY and I doubt Mitchell would have demanded a trade and pouted his way out of town like DSJ.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - haveitall - 06-14-2021

I notice this in all games.  Doncic takes too many shots and too many dribbles.  I really dont think KP was used well in these playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-lbmsrMbJ0

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - burekemde - 06-14-2021

(06-14-2021, 11:27 AM)haveitall Wrote: I notice this in all games.  Doncic takes too many shots and too many dribbles.  I really dont think KP was used well in these playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-lbmsrMbJ0

This is taking things out of context. How many times has he found and passed to KP made him.open. a million times. He even callef plays for KP overriding the coaches playcall. Changing plays to pass to KP.in the post. We saw how that turned up when KP had to create the offense.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-14-2021

I still need to listen to the Tim Cato pod but saw this nugget posted in the FO thread:

"Tim has heard no information indicating that the team is trying to trade KP, or that Luka and KP have any animosity between them. What info he has heard has been treated with lower importance by his sources than the front office matters."

It makes senes that they are clearly in damage control mode with this FO stuff. There is no urgency to do anything with KP as FA is months away and even then they may not really be shopping him as aggressively as we or some national media might believe he is being shopped.

I think a week ago I was like 99/1 he's gone, then this week 50/50, now I am like dropping that way down to 30/70 or so.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - mvossman - 06-15-2021

(06-14-2021, 09:44 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I still need to listen to the Tim Cato pod but saw this nugget posted in the FO thread:

"Tim has heard no information indicating that the team is trying to trade KP, or that Luka and KP have any animosity between them. What info he has heard has been treated with lower importance by his sources than the front office matters."

It makes senes that they are clearly in damage control mode with this FO stuff. There is no urgency to do anything with KP as FA is months away and even then they may not really be shopping him as aggressively as we or some national media might believe he is being shopped.

I think a week ago I was like 99/1 he's gone, then this week 50/50, now I am like dropping that way down to 30/70 or so.

There is a part of me that would like to see them run it back with a significant upgrade over JRich.  I feel like KP/Maxi/Powell were all struggling with injuries/Covid most of the year and with all of them having a healthy off season our big rotation could be much better next year without any changes.  Add in a player who can do what we hoped JRich could do or better (Ball would be ideal here) and I think you have a team that could legitimately contend.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-15-2021

Posted from another thread "Cato's view is that confidence has declined that KP can be the second star that was originally envisioned. He thinks the hope is that KP can improve his shooting to elite level, and sharpen up his defense to the point that he is not a liability, and maybe is even a slight positive, on that end of the floor. He sees them as eliminating a lot of his posting up, and some of his shot creation, and using him more as a tall shooting guard, who gets his points off spot-ups, cuts, off-ball movement, etc."

This is a good way to approach KP ^^. Makes me think even more than Mavs are like 20/80 trading KP only if the right deal comes along this year (this can change as things evolve obviously). At any rate, adding a guy like Collins, getting a good MLE player could make this team significantly better given how much a zero J Rich was this entire season. What was worse than him being a zero and not getting playing time (e.g. Delon Wright) was that the trade + Duffy made Rick basically start him all year. If he had just not play important minutes I bet the Mavs would have won more games.

In another universe I want to see what would have happened had Rick just stuck with THJ starting the whole year and gave Rich 20 mpg off the bench.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-15-2021

Listening to Cato he says there is no KP, Luka beef so that is good.

I know we think a lot hinges on this summers FA moves but it actually probably hinges on KP more than anything, specifically what the Mavs do with him. The decision to keep him, move him, move him later, what you move him for might be the decision that ultimately defines the fate of the Luka era (or at least the era up until the end of his RFA max).

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-15-2021

(06-15-2021, 06:40 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: no KP, Luka beef so that is good

But KP definitely has an issue with the coaches and analysts IMO.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dynamicalVoid - 06-15-2021

(06-15-2021, 06:40 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Listening to Cato he says there is no KP, Luka beef so that is good.

I know we think a lot hinges on this summers FA moves but it actually probably hinges on KP more than anything, specifically what the Mavs do with him. The decision to keep him, move him, move him later, what you move him for might be the decision that ultimately defines the fate of the Luka era (or at least the era up until the end of his RFA max).

Of course...create the illusion something is wrong and then say there was nothing.  Doesnt surprise me at all.

So...KP is just OK with Luka and Brunson freezing him out constantly?

Doesnt mean there has to be beef by any means.   But all the talk of beef on these boards, the weird post game interviews, being frozen out, rumors of a trade that KP commented on, etc....and then there is nothing wrong lol.

The lengths things will go to just to create an illusion and then pull the rug out.   Baffling.

(06-15-2021, 07:55 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Of course...create the illusion something is wrong and then say there was nothing.  Doesnt surprise me at all.

So...KP is just OK with Luka and Brunson freezing him out constantly?

Doesnt mean there has to be beef by any means.   But all the talk of beef on these boards, the weird post game interviews, being frozen out, rumors of a trade that KP commented on, etc....and then there is nothing wrong lol.

The lengths things will go to just to create an illusion and then pull the rug out.   Baffling.

I don't really follow. Cato's whole piece is about the front office being dysfunctional. He also raises some concerns ab Rick and Luka's relationship. In interviews since then he has pointed out that he hasn't heard any KP, Luka beef. So to me that's a positive.

KP has been passive aggressive at times but I think that's getting better. I am not saying everything is going great with KP generally but just speaking to his relationship with Luka, it seems like they are fine. I don't believe they are best buds or anything. I wonder if either of them has texted the other a single time in their life lol.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SwisherPrice - 06-16-2021

It's the Mavs offensive system. They run a free-flowing offense with very little playcalling from RC...that's one of the big things he has had to adapt to because under normal situations, he would never let a 22-year old have that much authority on the court. But they've built their current system to let Luka create the entire offense with 4 other "shooters" spacing the floor, including KP. So all they want from him is to stand there and shoot. That's why he doesn't like the offense and has complained about it.

The Mavs force Luka to do everything so when the defense adjusts, like the Clippers did in the 4th quarter of every game, the offense stalled and then it's just a bunch of passing it around to someone to launch up a hero three (like THJ) to beat the shot clock. 

RC is TOO hands off and I don't know why...this is why I don't think he will be here long-term. A coach has to be able to incorporate what Luka does best while also being able to help him out with some designed plays when the offense stalls. Instead, they just kept trying to do the same thing that stopped working in the 4th quarter. 

The free-flowing offense is nothing new in the NBA, many teams run it - including the Suns. However, most teams have multiple shot creators to make it work successfully. The Mavs don't have the personnel outside of Luka but they also had no real Plan B or C so thus the reliance on Boban.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ClutchDirk - 06-17-2021

https://twitter.com/mavsnationcp/status/1405678671818477570?s=12

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 08:16 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/mavsnationcp/status/1405678671818477570?s=12

Now THIS is the least shocking news of the week.

[Image: Michelle-Tanner-Sarcastic-Duh-Gif-On-Full-House.gif]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 06-17-2021

(06-14-2021, 12:42 PM)burekemde Wrote: This is taking things out of context. How many times has he found and passed to KP made him.open. a million times. He even callef plays for KP overriding the coaches playcall. Changing plays to pass to KP.in the post. We saw how that turned up when KP had to create the offense.

No...way.  I have been screaming at my TV all year on 5-10 plays a NIGHT just like that all year long.  That video isn't cherrypicking at all, and I've been saying that ALL YEAR.  If I was KP, I'd be pissed, and it wouldn't be thinking "I'm better than that guy" (which I doubt seriously), but "hey, I'm open, I have a better shot than that crap you just clanked."

Here's the problem with all you folks who beat me up when I say this stuff and get so righteously indignant when someone suggest that Luka can improve in this area.  He DOES take shots he should not take.  No one is talking the bail out at the end of the clock stuff, but he tries to take bail out at the end of the clock stuff with 10 seconds left on the clock, when he doesn't HAVE TO.  There have been loads of times that he's pissed his help off doing crap like the video above.  It doesn't destroy the fact that he's a generational talent to point that out and admit it.  It doesn't blame all the losses on him and it doesn't give KP a pass for when KP's been playing like crap.

BUT some of it does rest on Luka.  He's not perfect and a 40+ usage rate and having to put up 44/15/10 as an average will not get you from round 1 to a ring.  #fact

Luke reminds me of the classic extremely talented leader who really can do most things better than the people he leads...supremely talented, extremely high capacity, but those type of leaders can get the rut of hovering over their direct reports, and because of their affinity and skill can't stand to watch someone take longer or not do as great a job as they do, so they end up taking over and pushing the person to the side.  Those subordinates either get used to having their work done for them or if they truly have talent, they leave because they want to be a part of it.  They get frustrated and most of them know, "Yes he's better", but they want to contribute and as a leader, you WANT people that care about contribution and selling out for the company (or team in this case)...and the high strung talent, you usually have to mentor into a more respectable understanding of life...the more talented, the more you put up with and vice versa.  It's the classic bottleneck -- in Luka's case, it's TERRIBLE that he assists on or scores like 80+% of the teams points.  Some of you wear that like a badge...that will get him to leave in a couple of years when he figures it out that he can't do that and win in the NBA.  That's not a shot at Luka, that's a reality.

It's a false dichotomy to say that if you point this out you somehow don't recognize the greatness of Luka or don't appreciate him or are some KP fanboy.  You can appreciate him and evaluate him fairly, and honestly, I think that's the most balanced analysis of the team.  You can hate on KP all you want, but he's right...the ball is better when it moves, and when I say move, when the ball is moving, assists are more spaced out and come from several people.  20 assists by one player doesn't mean the ball was moving well, it means one dude moved the ball well...it often means it didn't move well as a team. 

Often the best basketball comes when the ball moves 3 passes off the drive and the shot you get is primo...the Mavs just didn't do that often last year.  They fell into Luka dribble until he scored or got someone a shot, and that wore him down.  Yes, he got them amazing shots, but in the 4th, in the playoffs, he and the team paid the price.  In those clips above, you would see KP with the primo shot and there you go.  IN fact, some shots he passed up, but a lot of the shots you guys got mad at, I thought was moving the ball better to get the even MORE wide open shot, usually from the wing to the better corner 3.  That's good ball.

If you think anyone objectively hasn't watched film of these games and not seen this, and when I say that, I mean OTHER players in the league...they dont' want to play like that.  Everyone likes the idea of the unselfish superstar, but Luka didn't exhibit that last year at all.

Even though Luka is probably as close as you can get to a player who can do it by himself, he can't through a deep playoff run, because no one can (which I pointed out was a lesson that MJ said he learned from the '86 series against the Celtics)...they've all got to be better.

But after a year of frustration, I'm not sure they will make it as constructed.