MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 06-10-2021

(06-09-2021, 09:23 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: It wouldn't surprise me, but it would shock me, as in, if a train ran over my leg and cut it off, I'd go into shock.

What if the Mavs acted as a salary dump for Kemba and don't give up anything substantial in return? 

Something like JRich+WCS+Burke for Kemba+2023 1st round pick. 

We always pine for the Mavs to leverage their capspace that they aren't going to use properly to pickup bloated contracts for assets. Is this not a prime example of this? 

I know Kemba's knees are shot but the Mavs are essentially giving up air for a 2023 first and an opportunity to resurrect a fallen angel. All the positives about Kemba being next to Luka haven't disappeared and the Celtics were VERY close to making the finals in the bubble not too long ago with Kemba playing significant minutes.

EDIT: The reason why I say this is because there's a general theme among some that KP is viewed much like Kemba or other "untradeable" contracts. If KP is barely going to net a return of anything good, then shouldn't Kemba Walker (a player almost all will say is much worse than KP right now) net an even lower return? And in that case, shouldn't the Mavs try and push the Celtics to tack on some draft compensation in return for taking on a terrible contract? 
I don't know. Just trying to think outside the box.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Thukydides - 06-10-2021

From 22:00 min mark a good summarizing talk about the Mavs. I don't agree with Nate Duncan often, but I think he's right in his assessment, that signing THJ and keeping KP will lead to nothing.

https://pca.st/episode/7d3422e3-0020-4228-84b1-4279840a2b5f?t=1314

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - RedFlag41 - 06-10-2021

Would the Mavs and thr Boston go for a Kemba for Powell, Maxi, Jrich, and JB?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 01:21 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: Would the Mavs and thr Boston go for a Kemba for Powell, Maxi, Jrich, and JB?

No way I would include JB in that. Boston would be laughing all the way to the bank. If Mavs offered just role guys: Powell, Maxi, JR, Burke you could argue hey we are getting a good player for guys who didn't help much in the playoffs. Even still I am not crazy about it.

Your lineup would be Luka, Kemba, DFS, MLE (Batum?), KP with THJ, Brunson, WCS, maybe even JJR off the bench. Green + a BAE player. I think you could do worse than this type of trade but I believe the Mavs can do better with their cap space than this.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 12:42 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: What if the Mavs acted as a salary dump for Kemba and don't give up anything substantial in return? 

If Mavs got a pick that would make it a little bit better. So you are sending out 19ish and taking back 36 which means you have to each 17 or so mil in cap space. You would have to make sure THJ would sign for the rest (17/yr). If you did that you only have rMLE to improve the team through FA.

So you would have Luka, Kemba, DFS, KP, Powell as likely starting 5 with THJ, Brunson, Maxi, Green as key reserves + rMLE. For that rMLE you would probably try just just add the best big or wing you could find for that money. I mean you could do worse than that deal.

Having a pick would give Mavs the opportunity to trade Maxi or Brunson + a pick for something. Maxi, Powell could be traded for Adams. Or you could try a Maxi, Powell, Brunson + pick package for Turner or something like that.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 12:42 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: What if the Mavs acted as a salary dump for Kemba and don't give up anything substantial in return? 

We always pine for the Mavs to leverage their capspace that they aren't going to use properly to pickup bloated contracts for assets. Is this not a prime example of this? 

I know Kemba's knees are shot but the Mavs are essentially giving up air for a 2023 first and an opportunity to resurrect a fallen angel. All the positives about Kemba being next to Luka haven't disappeared and the Celtics were VERY close to making the finals in the bubble not too long ago with Kemba playing significant minutes.

EDIT: The reason why I say this is because there's a general theme among some that KP is viewed much like Kemba or other "untradeable" contracts. If KP is barely going to net a return of anything good, then shouldn't Kemba Walker (a player almost all will say is much worse than KP right now) net an even lower return? And in that case, shouldn't the Mavs try and push the Celtics to tack on some draft compensation in return for taking on a terrible contract? 
I don't know. Just trying to think outside the box.

Make it Richardson + Kleber + Burke for Kemba and I think the Celtics do that.

While I generally prefer the other ideas (trading Porzingis, getting young, capspace/collusion/assets)...

IF the MBT do not trade Porzingis....

THEN absolutely they should double down and acquire Kemba. Do not half-ass a "plan" again.

Cause either Porzingis will return to form and then you add a player in Kemba that will most likely will outcontribute Richardson/Kleber/Burke (duh) or Porzingis remains broken (physically/mentally), then you are ****** anyway and having Kemba makes no difference either.

(06-10-2021, 07:57 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Make it Richardson + Kleber + Burke for Kemba and I think the Celtics do that.

While I generally prefer the other ideas (trading Porzingis, getting young, capspace/collusion/assets)...

THEN absolutely they should double down and acquire Kemba. Do not half-ass a "plan" again.

Cause either Porzingis will return to form and then you add a player in Kemba that will most likely will outcontribute Richardson/Kleber/Burke (duh) or Porzingis remains broken (physically/mentally), then you are ****** anyway and having Kemba makes no difference either.

The thing ab KP is that I think the hate has gone a little bit too far. Part of it was that the Clippers small ball lineup was not a good matchup for him. He is not in this situation every game. Rick/KP can come together to try to figure out how to use him better with a full offseason. The big change I think is getting a real defensive center next to KP. I am not crazy ab a Kemba move bc I think it makes it harder to add a center. If Mavs could find a center but still do the Kemba thing then it's not terrible I guess.

Like if you get Ibaka for example which means you probably need to move Powell somewhere.

Something like Luka, Kemba, DFS, KP, Ibaka, THJ, Brunson isn't the worse situation. I believe KP will likely move around better next year but I don't think he's going to be amazing defensively either so I'd still like to pair him with a defensive center.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 07:57 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Make it Richardson + Kleber + Burke for Kemba and I think the Celtics do that.

I think the Celtics will definitely be more than happy with that sort of package, but I do think the Mavs could get away with lowballing and seeing what happens. 

I also kind of want them to package Maxi+Brunson and try to swing for someone else should trade for Kemba. Lots of teams could be intrigued by a 6'10 stretch 4 that can actually move around the perimeter. 

SBJ kinda already got to where I was going with a Maxi+Brunson+2023 pick for Myles Turner+*Insert 1 of TJ McConnell/Jakarr Sampson/Aaron Holiday. 

KP does remain but the addition of Turner would make him a bit more expendable.

(06-10-2021, 11:02 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: KP does remain but the addition of Turner would make him a bit more expendable.

I think its clear that KP is already expendable in some sense but Turner would just make the frontcourt work so much better in that Turner can really bolster things on the defensive end. His versatility helps in that he can switch on the perimeter sometimes. I still don't know if Turner or KP are ideal guys to be covering guys on the perimeter full-time but I'd like to see the Mavs try it. Turner is a much better shot blockers so you would try to keep him in the paint.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 06-10-2021

Why is everyone overlooking that Turner is mostly a perimeter guy on offense? Now, that is currently due to him playing with Sabonis, but he can stretch the floor as well, which allows KP to have free reign on offense if RC figures out how to best utilize him. I'm sure Turner would do fine as a PnR guy too, he can mix it up, like JC. 

A Turner, JC and Brogdon offseason would be a golden opportunity to make this team what we want it to be, if we could do it.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HAguiar95 - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 12:54 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: A Turner, JC and Brogdon offseason would be a golden opportunity to make this team what we want it to be, if we could do it.

I can't see a way to get 2 let alone 3 of those guys.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 01:26 PM)HAguiar95 Wrote: I can't see a way to get 2 let alone 3 of those guys.
There would be a path to all of them. How realistic it is is more the issue.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Chicagojk - 06-10-2021

I saw this on reddit from last years bubble.  Can we get this KP back.   He is cutting and much more active that he was in most of the Clippers series.   He wasn't perfect, but with a full offseason can get back near this level?  His moves are much more sudden and confident.  I feel like we saw very little of this development off this this past year.   I put the blame on several parts of the team.  Regardless, KP should watch this and realize there is at least 8 points a game by cutting and being active.  Where was that one legged fadeway this year at the free throw line this year?  

It would certainly help the team on the floor and also give us more leverage in trade talks if we wanted to explore.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=9iV35fPCUkQ

(06-10-2021, 06:23 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I saw this on reddit from last years bubble.  Can we get this KP back.   He is cutting and much more active that he was in most of the Clippers series.   He wasn't perfect, but with a full offseason can get back near this level?  His moves are much more sudden and confident.  I feel like we saw very little of this development off this this past year.   I put the blame on several parts of the team.  Regardless, KP should watch this and realize there is at least 8 points a game by cutting and being active.  Where was that one legged fadeway this year at the free throw line this year?  

It would certainly help the team on the floor and also give us more leverage in trade talks if we wanted to explore.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=9iV35fPCUkQ

Ya he looks good there. He's been in quicksand this year. Another thing with the bubble is he had a super long layoff (ie lots of body rest) and this was pre-meniscus. Maybe after a full offseason he starts looking more like last year KP? I guess the shocker to me is that meniscus surgery is not some major surgery. Guys get that stuff done all the time. It makes no sense that he would look worse after that than an ACL tear (altho again he had a long layoff there too). I do wonder if everything just got too rushed and he never really got to condition right. Also remember the condensed schedule did him no favors.

(06-10-2021, 06:39 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Ya he looks good there. He's been in quicksand this year. Another thing with the bubble is he had a super long layoff (ie lots of body rest) and this was pre-meniscus. Maybe after a full offseason he starts looking more like last year KP? I guess the shocker to me is that meniscus surgery is not some major surgery. Guys get that stuff done all the time. It makes no sense that he would look worse after that than an ACL tear (altho again he had a long layoff there too). I do wonder if everything just got too rushed and he never really got to condition right. Also remember the condensed schedule did him no favors.
It was said that JJJ had the same surgery at the same time and he came back at the end of the season.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Scott41theMavs - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 06:39 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Ya he looks good there. He's been in quicksand this year. Another thing with the bubble is he had a super long layoff (ie lots of body rest) and this was pre-meniscus. Maybe after a full offseason he starts looking more like last year KP? I guess the shocker to me is that meniscus surgery is not some major surgery. Guys get that stuff done all the time. It makes no sense that he would look worse after that than an ACL tear (altho again he had a long layoff there too). I do wonder if everything just got too rushed and he never really got to condition right. Also remember the condensed schedule did him no favors.

But keep in mind that the offseason is rather shorter. The schedule right now is as if the Mavs made the WCFs, and the next season starts in a bit over four months.

(06-10-2021, 06:23 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I saw this on reddit from last years bubble.  Can we get this KP back.   He is cutting and much more active that he was in most of the Clippers series.   He wasn't perfect, but with a full offseason can get back near this level?  His moves are much more sudden and confident.  I feel like we saw very little of this development off this this past year.   I put the blame on several parts of the team.  Regardless, KP should watch this and realize there is at least 8 points a game by cutting and being active.  Where was that one legged fadeway this year at the free throw line this year?  

You can view this 1 of two ways, the optimist or the pessimist.

The optimist will say: Hey, this season was a weird season. Essentially it was a lockout shortened year with the added twist of no fans and an ongoing global pandemic to be worried about. So many games in a short amount of time. For KP, he never actually had an offseason. This undoubedtly affected his conditioning and his skills. I mean have you ever played basketball and just stopped for 3 weeks and picked back up? You're of course rusty. Now make the 3 weeks 4 months and instead of the YMCA it's the NBA. Shit is hard. Further KP didn't even have a training camp to get used to the new system/teammates, and was thrown into the fire. KP finally will have a healthy offseason, and the season will return to normal next year. 
Looking at it like that it's almost likely we get the old KP back. Lots of positives things.

The pessimist will say: KP is an injury prone stick that has obviously lost a step. He's had 2 knee surgeries in 3 years, and whenever he is healthy he always has nagging injuries. This year it looks like he moves in quicksand and has the balance of a drunk giraffe. There hasn't been any proof that KP can come back to where he was after this latest knee surgery as well.  Also, there's a good argument that KP at his best isn't really that good anyways, with mediocre efficiency and a playstyle that is slowly going extinct. Mavs should cut their losses before anything else happens to him.

Both have valid points. I guess you can choose what side you want to be on.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ThisIStheYear - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 11:02 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think the Celtics will definitely be more than happy with that sort of package, but I do think the Mavs could get away with lowballing and seeing what happens. 

I also kind of want them to package Maxi+Brunson and try to swing for someone else should trade for Kemba. Lots of teams could be intrigued by a 6'10 stretch 4 that can actually move around the perimeter. 

SBJ kinda already got to where I was going with a Maxi+Brunson+2023 pick for Myles Turner+*Insert 1 of TJ McConnell/Jakarr Sampson/Aaron Holiday. 

KP does remain but the addition of Turner would make him a bit more expendable.

The serious trade ideas for Kemba involve something like the Celtics receive nothing and send Kemba plus a couple of picks to a team. If the Mavs really want Kemba, all they need do is clear out some cap space and just have Boston transfer his contract.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 07:55 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: You can view this 1 of two ways, the optimist or the pessimist.

The optimist will say: Hey, this season was a weird season. Essentially it was a lockout shortened year with the added twist of no fans and an ongoing global pandemic to be worried about. So many games in a short amount of time. For KP, he never actually had an offseason. This undoubedtly affected his conditioning and his skills. I mean have you ever played basketball and just stopped for 3 weeks and picked back up? You're of course rusty. Now make the 3 weeks 4 months and instead of the YMCA it's the NBA. Shit is hard. Further KP didn't even have a training camp to get used to the new system/teammates, and was thrown into the fire. KP finally will have a healthy offseason, and the season will return to normal next year. 
Looking at it like that it's almost likely we get the old KP back. Lots of positives things.

The pessimist will say: KP is an injury prone stick that has obviously lost a step. He's had 2 knee surgeries in 3 years, and whenever he is healthy he always has nagging injuries. This year it looks like he moves in quicksand and has the balance of a drunk giraffe. There hasn't been any proof that KP can come back to where he was after this latest knee surgery as well.  Also, there's a good argument that KP at his best isn't really that good anyways, with mediocre efficiency and a playstyle that is slowly going extinct. Mavs should cut their losses before anything else happens to him.

Both have valid points. I guess you can choose what side you want to be on.

[Image: backgammon.png]

(06-10-2021, 07:58 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The serious trade ideas for Kemba involve something like the Celtics receive nothing and send Kemba plus a couple of picks to a team. If the Mavs really want Kemba, all they need do is clear out some cap space and just have Boston transfer his contract.

Exactly. That's what my original post said. Send BOS essentially air, JRich+Burke+WCS and in return for taking on Kemba's contract obtain 1 frp. 

BOS tried to do that with the Spurs this season with Lamarcus Aldridge, though the inclusion of a pick wasn't said (but makes sense). 

Cubes went out of his way to mention a goal is to find a playmaker with size and Kemba doesn't fit that. So I think any Kemba deal is a moot point.