MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 05:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think every bad thing stems from his inability to move.

Nah.  KP's best days in Dallas were without Luka.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 08:04 PM)cow Wrote: Nah.  KP's best days in Dallas were without Luka.

Maybe, but the problem you're talking about isn't either/or with the problem I'm talking about. 

Can't move, can't play...with ANYONE. Last year's KP was way better than this year's KP, imo, despite bad chemistry with Luka in both.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 08:08 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Maybe, but the problem you're talking about isn't either/or with the problem I'm talking about. 

Can't move, can't play...with ANYONE. Last year's KP was way better than this year's KP, imo, despite bad chemistry with Luka in both.

My point is that even we he could move and could play, he and Luka had chemistry issues and personality conflicts.  Moreover, it's a laundry list of issues so focusing on one is rather pointless.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - fifteenth - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 08:15 PM)cow Wrote: Moreover, it's a laundry list of issues so focusing on one is rather pointless.

One thing at a time is the way only way to get things done cowcow

(06-08-2021, 08:26 PM)fifteenth Wrote: One thing at a time is the way only way to get things done cowcow

There is one thing that will get things done.  Everything else is ifs and buts and candy and nuts.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 08:32 PM)cow Wrote: There is one thing that will get things done.  Everything else is ifs and buts and candy and nuts.
Yes, SnT him for OPJ!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 06:10 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: That´s where we disagree. I am not sure about the attitude. Maybe there are some problems but I don´t really care about off court stuff. I see a skill/ability problem.  The shots he used to take on the Knicks aren´t an option because the Mavs want to have more success than the Knicks. If one of your two main scoring options shoots low 40s from the field, mid 30s from 3 and isn´t getting to the FT line he probably shouldn´t be one of the two main scoring options. That´s what KP used to be in a more featured role. On the Knicks and in his first Mavs season.
Listening to RCs exit interview he more or less confirmed what we saw in the season. Mentioned cuts, catch and shoot/spacing and some pick and roll as great offensive options for KP. No talk about post play or isos.
I am not the only one that looks at the numbers. The Mavs probably have way more data and they come to the same conclusion. KP as a creator on offense is not leading to positive results. This season they started to make adjustments and already changed his role in the regular season. Less isos and post ups. More catch and shoot, more cuts  and more attempts in the paint. And it worked. Maybe KP isn´t happy but he scored 20ppg on above league average efficiency (first time in his career).

I mean everything you said is valid. But it also doesn't disprove that there's more to this story than just numbers.

Again 2 things can be true at once.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DallasBasketball - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 02:02 PM)omahen Wrote: He still is all what you say related to KP against other centers. The problem is teams have figured out the key is not to defend him with center but a random wing or guard, and he is more or less cooked. For me this is the biggest priority for his offseason. Learn how to punish small guys. This way he will force opponents to guard him with centers, which will allow Luka/KP PnR or PnP to feast on them. Just imagine how Clippers series would look like if they would be forced to play Zubac.

Let's be honest, his technique and footwork is extremely poor in the post. His only move is to turn around and shoot a contested fade away jumper. He doesn't see help defense coming, lowers the ball and consequently often turns it over. He needs to work on this, whole offseason. Of course I see physical training as mandatory part of any offseason.

I remember watching Porzee in the Olympics for Latvia and thinking he was a good post player. Is it possible he was a better post player before he entered the NBA? 

I hope a few things happen related to his post game;

1. I hope he works at it. Granted he’s finally healthy this may make a difference. And I’m hoping he gets back to where he can be strong backing a guy down with a strong dribble to take quality shots. Too much of the time when he’s posted this season the shot has looked like a bail out attempt after failing to get strong position or simply settling for an uncomfortable fadeaway. He should be a lot better at this. 
2. I hope his shot gets back to where it has been in the past to combine with better quality post looks. The guy is a talented shooter. Has he really gotten worse or is this a slump from all the time off? Should I be asking if he is a hard enough worker?
3. I’d like to see Carlisle and Luka both make an effort to force the ball into KP with some consistency given that there are so many times he gets the mismatch in the post. The fact that we never do this seems to me like the cover of the book titled ‘KP is an afterthought’ and it’s not just a problem of Luka playing the drive and kick game, Luka tried forcing it into Boban at least a few dozen times and gave KP a chance a handful of times. This is not on Luka IMO, I think he sees what we see, which is KP sucks in the post. But he shouldn’t suck. He’s been good before. Or am I wrong?

I think the off-season could really be key in figuring it out. And if KP can be featured more in the post and produce, I think he’ll stay in rhythm better and be more of a contributor off the bounce and the catch n shoots. Or at least I hope.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DallasBasketball - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 04:20 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I agree with all of this. He really needs to just drop his post-game altogether honestly. It reminds me of Dwight Howard who wanted to post-up 10 times a game but wasn't actually good at it.

KP can punish wings pretty simply by just shooting over them. He has such a high release point it's hard to contest his shots. I feel like teams will eventually have to go back to guarding KP with bigger players if he can just focus on getting high quality shots over smaller players. Right now KP wants to back them down but he's not strong enough, he doesn't pass good out of double teams, high center of gravity, his footwork stinks, etc.. It's just a total waste and he could still be very effective as a jump shooter. Lots of talented offensive players don't have a post-up game. KP has yet to come to grips that he should drop it and focus on other areas.

You may be right. If true this is the source of KP trying to figure out how to fit into our system. Basically how to get those extra touches without being featured in the post.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cow - 06-09-2021

(06-08-2021, 09:56 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Yes, SnT him for OPJ!

[Image: tenor.gif]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Dahlsim - 06-09-2021

Checking in to say I like Kristaps as PF at 4 with a good 5 to complement him.  This works well for Luka as well imo because as a Big guard his rotations now have good protection and length around him. 
Kleber playing well makes the front line rotation as is very strong, hopefully he gets fully back in offseason. 

In general the KP/Boban minutes were all very competitive against the Clippers in the playoffs. 
I saw Dallas fall behind really when Boban went off the floor and KP or someone else tried to hold it down. 
If KP hadn't missed all 5 3 pointers (on top of TJH's 1 for 9) that entire game 7 looks different and if Boban had been part of the offensive closing unit with KP still out there (Kawhi also had to help guard Boban) the Mavs could well have won in 6. 

I thought about this JUMBO 4/5 reading about Jokic and the Serbian players after Nikola takes the MVP home

Quote:Marjanovic and Jokic first met when the Nuggets’ star was a teenager, and they spent time as teammates in the Adriatic League with Mega Leks.

“Nikola is [a] great guy. I know him, he show[ed] up and we basically played together on the same team,” Marjanovic said. “I played the 5, he played the 4. Back over there [in Serbia], that skill level that he has right now, he had that back over there. He was really good. All the potential, all the nice touches, all the movement, all the brain, all the passes was like what he’s doing right now in Denver. He’s amazing and I know everybody says, ‘I know he will be somebody someday.’ But I really knew it because you really know how Nikola is thinking, how he plays, how he makes great decisions in great moments. And he is my friend [laughs]. I am so proud of him. It would mean a lot for sure for Serbia. It mean[s] a lot for my country, but a lot for me. Nikola is my friend, one of my closest friends. We don’t talk every single day, but we are online very often. It mean[s] a lot for me and of course for him and of course for our country that we have the MVP of [the] NBA league, the best league in the world.

For him to win MVP it’s amazing, it’s great.”

If Porzingis plays the 4 as his primary off a good center the 5 then becomes a secondary role against some 2nd units but his length and skill level really only requires that he shoot the ball well to lock in an advantage against most any rotation.  

So yeah, give me a strong center performance with a revived Unicorn at 4, Luka Magic at 1.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-09-2021

(06-08-2021, 11:39 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: I think the off-season could really be key in figuring it out. And if KP can be featured more in the post and produce, I think he’ll stay in rhythm better and be more of a contributor off the bounce and the catch n shoots. Or at least I hope.

The post game isn't happening. This has been a KP, Rick battle since he got here. KP isn't good in the post even with mismatches. I think the ship has sailed on him becoming a Dirk like post assassin. Whether or not KP stays he needs to work on getting good looks as a jump shooter. Post ups and him trying to dribble the ball don't work most of the time. His game needs to be similar to a jump shooting wing player.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DallasBasketball - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 09:37 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: The post game isn't happening. This has been a KP, Rick battle since he got here. KP isn't good in the post even with mismatches. I think the ship has sailed on him becoming a Dirk like post assassin. Whether or not KP stays he needs to work on getting good looks as a jump shooter. Post ups and him trying to dribble the ball don't work most of the time. His game needs to be similar to a jump shooting wing player.

You are right, because the proof is in the pudding. Carlisle has chosen this route probably for correct reasons, but that doesn’t mean in the future things can’t change. 

Not that I am married to the idea of Porzee in the post: I’m just so surprised he has fallen this far. And given how much work Porzee has had to do to overcome his injuries, it should be no surprise that Carlisle is keeping it simple with him and just trying to get him to find himself within the offense. Like. When. He. Was. A. Rookie. :SMDH and this is the problem with ‘potential’

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DallasBasketball - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 04:03 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Checking in to say I like Kristaps as PF at 4 with a good 5 to complement him.  This works well for Luka as well imo because as a Big guard his rotations now have good protection and length around him. 
Kleber playing well makes the front line rotation as is very strong, hopefully he gets fully back in offseason. 

In general the KP/Boban minutes were all very competitive against the Clippers in the playoffs. 
I saw Dallas fall behind really when Boban went off the floor and KP or someone else tried to hold it down. 
If KP hadn't missed all 5 3 pointers (on top of TJH's 1 for 9) that entire game 7 looks different and if Boban had been part of the offensive closing unit with KP still out there (Kawhi also had to help guard Boban) the Mavs could well have won in 6. 

I thought about this JUMBO 4/5 reading about Jokic and the Serbian players after Nikola takes the MVP home

If Porzingis plays the 4 as his primary off a good center the 5 then becomes a secondary role against some 2nd units but his length and skill level really only requires that he shoot the ball well to lock in an advantage against most any rotation.  

So yeah, give me a strong center performance with a revived Unicorn at 4, Luka Magic at 1.

I’m with you on how the team looked with the twin towers. We traded bad 3 point rotations for strong paint play on defense and offense and strong rebounding. Over 3 games the 3 point rotations proved insurmountable. I don’t know what the answer is but Carlisle does well with options. So I would like to see Mavs keep with a big strategy but try and improve it by replacing Boban with a more agile and more physical player.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 12:56 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: I’m with you on how the team looked with the twin towers. We traded bad 3 point rotations for strong paint play on defense and offense and strong rebounding. Over 3 games the 3 point rotations proved insurmountable. I don’t know what the answer is but Carlisle does well with options. So I would like to see Mavs keep with a big strategy but try and improve it by replacing Boban with a more agile and more physical player.

I liked the twin towers look as well. Kamm was big on twin towers when he thought Gobert would be available, not sure if he is an advocate in general or not.

I think you change out Boban for Adams and you have something. Sure Holmes or Turner would be fine too. We need a real paint protector. Boban is more of a paint clogger (in a good way on defense). Yes we would give up 3 point shots but guess what WE ALREADY DO. So if you have a 2 big system you win the boards basically every night and force teams into bad shots. Mavs already play drop coverage so guys on the perimeter (who lets face it aren't great) can be more aggressive knowing they have help behind them. You basically try to get teams to shoot difficult jumpers that aren't 3s if you do it right.

A guy like Adams is going to get a lot of offensive boards too. Just think of our rebounding if we had Adams + Luka and DFS who are already good rebounders for their positions.

Mavs likely can't play zone all game but I think you would run it some while still doing a lot of drop coverage. On offense with Luka at the helm he can get good shots over and over with a big time screen setter + spacers. Mavs need personnel to run small too bc it won't always work. If you get a guy like Batum then you can switch to 1 big lineups when the 2 big strategy gets torched. I like it as a base look though.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 01:34 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: A guy like Adams is going to get a lot of offensive boards too. Just think of our rebounding if we had Adams + Luka and DFS who are already good rebounders for their positions.

Should I start a Steven Adams thread? 

I am totally onboard with him. ALL aboard the Adams hype train.

(06-09-2021, 01:49 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Should I start a Steven Adams thread? 

I am totally onboard with him. ALL aboard the Adams hype train.

Ya I would support that.

Also, so I like a Lonzo pursuit even tho it will be a very competitive market (Bulls, Knicks are likely suitors). If Mavs feel like they are 'stuck' with KP for the time being then I would want to go even more aggressively for the Lonzo/Adams pairing.

Lonzo does what the Mavs need which is shoot, play defense and MOVE the ball. He helps Luka offensively as both a shooter and ball mover. Where this helps our KP *problem* is that Lonzo is going to help get KP the ball in advantageous spots. THJ and the others are not able to do this. I should also note that Adams is an underrated passer for his position.

Luka's style of play I think just doesn't mesh so well with KP. Lonzo would help reward KP for off-ball movement I think more than a guy like THJ who is looking to shoot or DFS who is only going to make really simple passes.

So with that said I would go hard after Lonzo either way probably, but even moreso if KP can't be traded. I realize Lonzo Ball has been tied to Chicago, but are we really saying a Luka-led Mavs team can't out maneuver a crappy Chicago team? Even if he wants to play with Lavine there's no guarantee Lavine is going to stay there. So I hope Mavs would seriously make a play for Lonzo if they are locked into KP for the foreseeable future.

@"KillerLeft"

BE PREPARED

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2944334-sources-say-boston-celtics-and-kemba-walker-want-a-breakup

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 08:53 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: BE PREPARED

I've been prepared for Kemba Walker to Dallas for like two months now. Wouldn't shock me a bit.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Scott41theMavs - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 09:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I've been prepared for Kemba Walker to Dallas for like two months now. Wouldn't shock me a bit.

It wouldn't surprise me, but it would shock me, as in, if a train ran over my leg and cut it off, I'd go into shock.