MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 01:27 PM)Kammrath Wrote: He stays thin and works on his agility to play PF and welcomes another big like Richaun Holmes to play C next to him.

To me, this is the worst possible scenario. As @"vfromlmf" said the other day very well, "if he's a PF, there are two dozen PF's I'd rather have than KP." 

You, @"Kammrath" made a great point the other day about the Clippers' smaller lineup when you pointed out that their rare length at most positions means they're not actually that small. 

To ME, that is the benefit (in theory) of KP. He's a unicorn, but only at the 5, where (again, in theory) he has physical advantages in terms of speed, mobility and skill. At the 4, his length is uncommon, yes, but all three of those other things are huge, huge deficiencies. 

Like the point you made regarding the Clippers, the UPSIDE to KP (in theory) is that he's faster, quicker and more skilled than other centers WITHOUT giving up any length. He's a small ball center, without being a small ball center. Is he a little too weak? Yes, but I think mostly he just looks that way because he played so soft this year. And, frankly, he looked too slow to play the 5, NOT like he had an advantage there.

EDIT: In my opinion, this whole thing revolves around whether or not the Mavs believe KP can learn how not to get played into being a negative as a DEFENSIVE center. If they can figure that much out, I have a fair amount of faith the offensive end will click, eventually. If they think he'll always be a negative as a DEFENSIVE center, then the whole operation is just a waste of time.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 01:43 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: I'm not flaming you, but don't suggest that anything about this team needs to change except trade KP for a Coke machine and we'd have won the championship (That's hyperbole, btw for the dude in the back who can't recognize the difference between "hyperbole" and "straw man argument".)

"I figured it out." - James Harden
[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: only-a-fool-would-argue-with-a-fool-325999.jpg]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 01:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: To me, this is the worst possible scenario. As @"vfromlmf" said the other day very well, "if he's a PF, there are two dozen PF's I'd rather have than KP." 

You, @"Kammrath" made a great point the other day about the Clippers' smaller lineup when you pointed out that their rare length at most positions means they're not actually that small. 

To ME, that is the benefit (in theory) of KP. He's a unicorn, but only at the 5, where (again, in theory) he has physical advantages in terms of speed, mobility and skill. At the 4, his length is uncommon, yes, but all three of those other things are huge, huge deficiencies. 

Like the point you made regarding the Clippers, the UPSIDE to KP (in theory) is that he's faster, quicker and more skilled than other centers WITHOUT giving up any length. He's a small ball center, without being a small ball center. Is he a little too weak? Yes, but I think mostly he just looks that way because he played so soft this year. And, frankly, he looked too slow to play the 5, NOT like he had an advantage there.

EDIT: In my opinion, this whole thing revolves around whether or not the Mavs believe KP can learn how not to get played into being a negative as a DEFENSIVE center. If they can figure that much out, I have a fair amount of faith the offensive end will click, eventually. If they think he'll always be a negative as a DEFENSIVE center, then the whole operation is just a waste of time.

100.  That is the biggest worry that I have about KP.  You go look at him in NY and he's quicker/faster, even when he gets switched off on guards driving...it took one Google to get a highlight of a KP chase down and block of a guard that was exactly like those drives that Paul George just abused him on over and over...or got a foul.  It's apparent, he's not that quick where he is now.  If that's the meniscus surgery and inadequate rehab time (because Jaren Jackson had the same surgery a month before KP and barely got back by the end of the season) or it's just the last straw and that quickness is gone forever...that's the question for me.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 01:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Like the point you made regarding the Clippers, the UPSIDE to KP (in theory) is that he's faster, quicker and more skilled than other centers WITHOUT giving up any length. 

He still is all what you say related to KP against other centers. The problem is teams have figured out the key is not to defend him with center but a random wing or guard, and he is more or less cooked. For me this is the biggest priority for his offseason. Learn how to punish small guys. This way he will force opponents to guard him with centers, which will allow Luka/KP PnR or PnP to feast on them. Just imagine how Clippers series would look like if they would be forced to play Zubac.

Let's be honest, his technique and footwork is extremely poor in the post. His only move is to turn around and shoot a contested fade away jumper. He doesn't see help defense coming, lowers the ball and consequently often turns it over. He needs to work on this, whole offseason. Of course I see physical training as mandatory part of any offseason.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 02:01 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: [Image: only-a-fool-would-argue-with-a-fool-325999.jpg]

Vague quotes from smart people --- the last vestige of someone who is busted and they know it.  #strawman and #hyperbole are different.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 01:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: To me, this is the worst possible scenario. As @vfromlmf said the other day very well, "if he's a PF, there are two dozen PF's I'd rather have than KP." 

You, @Kammrath made a great point the other day about the Clippers' smaller lineup when you pointed out that their rare length at most positions means they're not actually that small. 

I can get on board with this, ONLY if he becomes a rim runner and strong roll man. Luka NEEDS that from his center. KP as a C is a total non starter if he won't set good screens for Luka and roll strong to the rim.

TOTAL NON-STARTER.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 02:03 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Vague quotes from smart people --- the last vestige of someone who is busted and they know it.  #strawman and #hyperbole are different.

Never denied that. Strawman. One guy is saying that KP isn´t the right 2nd option. The other answering that Luka-ball is not the solution and cannot work. Changed the topic. Did not adress my statement.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 02:02 PM)omahen Wrote: He still is all what you say related to KP against other centers. The problem is teams have figured out the key is not to defend him with center but a random wing or guard, and he is more or less cooked. For me this is the biggest priority for his offseason. Learn how to punish small guys. This way he will force opponents to guard him with centers, which will allow Luka/KP PnR or PnP to feast on them. 

Let's be honest, his technique and footwork is extremely poor in the post. His only move is to turn around and shoot a contested fade away jumper. He doesn't see help defense coming, lowers the ball and consequently often turns it over. He needs to work on this, whole offseason. Of course I see physical training as mandatory part of any offseason.

I don't disagree with any of the above - I think that's a great snapshot of where KP is on offense right now. 

But again, for me, I trust him/Luka/Carlisle to figure all of that out, eventually. He just needs to learn a few moves. What REALLY had me in "F KP" mode all year was the defensive end. The most encouraging thing from the exit interviews for me was that he and Carlisle both admitted he wasn't moving well physically all year. If that was TEMPORARY, and not CUMULATIVE, that would give me hope. I'm skeptical, but I trust the Mavs' opinion on the matter, as they have much more information than we do. 

Knowing only what I know, I'd still bail on the dude, but I guess I've talked myself into not being too disappointed if they decide to give it one more go. In my head, the version of KP we thought we were getting, committed to the defensive end, would be GREAT for this team.

(06-08-2021, 02:07 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I can get on board with this, ONLY if he becomes a rim runner and strong roll man. Luka NEEDS that from his center. KP as a C is a total non starter if he won't set good screens for Luka and roll strong to the rim.

TOTAL NON-STARTER.

Yeah, they need to find a way for the 2-man game between KP and Luka to work, I agree. 

I thought O'Conner's video (I think YOU posted it) went a long way towards making it crystal clear why they haven't been doing that. It's kind of to the point where KP NEEDS to post up smaller guys in order to be viable in the screen game.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HAguiar95 - 06-08-2021

Just give him DeAndre Ayton tapes from this postseason. Guy has been a beast doing simple work. I'm sure Luka could find him like CP and Book are finding Ayton.

(06-08-2021, 02:32 PM)HAguiar95 Wrote: Just give him DeAndre Ayton tapes from this postseason. Guy has been a beast doing simple work. I'm sure Luka could find him like CP and Book are finding Ayton.

For sure, and I think that's why some of us are higher on Wiseman than others.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 02:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's kind of to the point where KP NEEDS to post up smaller guys in order to be viable in the screen game.

But DP doesn't have to post up smaller players to be an effective roll man.

(06-08-2021, 02:34 PM)Kammrath Wrote: But DP doesn't have to post up smaller players to be an effective roll man.

True, maybe. 

I'd love to find out if they switch on Powell/Luka screens as much as on KP/Luka screens. I don't have a strong feeling for that, but I would point out that we haven't really gotten to see the Powell/Luka action in the playoffs much at all. It's possible that the Clippers WOULD have made taking that away a priority, and then maybe thing WOULD still have devolved into Luka going 1-on-1 after every screen. I don't KNOW that, just playing devil's advocate. 

I'm 100% on board with your assertion that for MAX money, Luka/KP two-man game needs to be a focal point. It's great that he can also be a spacer, but max money is too much to spend for that. 

AND, BECAUSE DEFENSE!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 02:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: True, maybe. 

I'd love to find out if they switch on Powell/Luka screens as much as on KP/Luka screens. I don't have a strong feeling for that, but I would point out that we haven't really gotten to see the Powell/Luka action in the playoffs much at all. It's possible that the Clippers WOULD have made taking that away a priority, and then maybe thing WOULD still have devolved into Luka going 1-on-1 after every screen. I don't KNOW that, just playing devil's advocate. 

Clippers took away all PnR when going small. This includes Powell. As Porzingis he too is unable to punish small guys and Clippers just switched everything. On the other end Clippers attacked Powell without any fear.

(06-08-2021, 02:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm 100% on board with your assertion that for MAX money, Luka/KP two-man game needs to be a focal point. It's great that he can also be a spacer, but max money is too much to spend for that. 

AND, BECAUSE DEFENSE

I am 100% out on KP because BOTH ends of the floor sucked this year. If he had started to develop a two man game with Luka OR even been the defender he was the previous year, then I would be far more open to him returning. But he was a total fail on both ends for a MAX player.

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1402353455424024584

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-08-2021

(06-07-2021, 10:33 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Didn't do an exit interview I don't think.....

That's good news to my ears because I don't think he skips an exit interview if he's going to opt into a contract. He wants out and I am happy to have his cap space back.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 12:37 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Say you do nothing but add DeRozan to the mix. Then all of the sudden you have a Doncic - THJ - DeRozan - DFS - Porzingis lineup that is much more formidable for teams to defend. DeRozan would feast in the paint without a shotblocker ... Mavs might just simply outscore teams with offensive force.

I feel the same way. If you just add talent then you are going to be better even if it doesn't fit into perfectly defined roles. To keep THJ and sign DeRozan you would need to shed some salary like Maxi for instance but that shouldn't be too hard.

I can't explain DeRozan's +/- numbers being so poor but Pop has trusted him this whole time and he's not dumb. Anyway its not like my first choice but you could do a lot worse than adding basically the Spurs best player to this team.

(06-08-2021, 07:39 AM)omahen Wrote: Here I would open this dilemma - do we repeat Wright and trade him for whatever we can get probably spending assets along the way or we invest effort and try to make it work better? He would only have one year left and his contract could come more handy later.

Given that J Rich is not giving an exit interview the only way I think he is opting in is in a trade situation. I think Duffy would work with the Mavs to find him a landing spot prior to the opt-in deadline. If none exists I expect him to opt out. I don't see any scenario where J Rich is on this team next year.

(06-08-2021, 10:22 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: The only way to get a guy to the post is not for him to set a screen.  That just shows how stat conscious you are, but not basketball savvy.  For example, one of the games...screen set FOR KP, crossed to the Low block, pass in from DFS, jump hook score.  Clean as a whistle.  The ONE and only time I remember that play being run in this series and honestly FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON.  Dirk got on the post with the help of a screen for him ALL THE TIME.  He was not exclusively set a screen for JET and then go post).

For example...why do we never see this run for KP?  Everyone just goes "He can't set a screen so he can't get open"....

This is one of the great mysteries to me and I wish someone would ask Rick or some basketball person would explain this. I would see screens set for KP on occasion get to get loose but not a lot. THJ would get screens to get him open. I guess they just didn't want to do it. KP with a clean look at the basket is a good shooter so it doesn't make sense to me why the Mavs wouldn't try to help him get open. I do think there is hope for him on offense.

On defense it's really about whether or not his body can recover back to where it was. Sometimes a new conditioning program can help with that sort of stuff. I know he looked pretty good body wise after his ACL because he had such a long-time to work on his body. Coming off an injury last year maybe he wasn't able to do the kind of body-shaping stuff he needed to do.