MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 04:22 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Stole this from @"StrandedOnBeauboisHill"....Vegas Odds for KP trade destinations:

Boston +200
Golden State +225
OKC +300
Orlando +400
Washington +500
Chicago +600

Here are the assets and trade matching salaries I have my eyes on from each of those teams to try and build a trade with...

OKC
Horford
#4 pick
#18 pick
future picks

I like the way you consolidated all of this.  Well done.

Regarding OKC...Give me the worst of their 2023 picks as part of the deal...

2023 NBA Draft

Round     From                  Deal  

1               Own                   -
1               LAC*                   Paul George trade
1               Denver**             Steven Adams trade
1               Miami Heat^        Paul George trade

Details

* Right to swap.

** Top-14 protected. If not conveyed, the protections remain top-14 in 2024 and 2025 before finally converting to 2025 second-round pick and 2026 second-round pick.

Received from L.A. Clippers (part of four-team sign-and-trade to acquire Jimmy Butler) via Miami with top-14 protection. If not conveyed, it moves forward with the same protection to 2024 and then 2025 before eventually becoming unprotected in 2026.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 08:06 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Read again.

Okay so JJR then gotcha. Well that wasn't a great move but it was sort of low risk.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 07:57 AM)omahen Wrote: I also read another interesting piece I post below, basically saying: bring DeRozan, resign THJ (both for three years) and attack FA market in 2024 with just Luka on the books. Luka will be 25 then, more experienced, more mature. Perhaps ready for the super team and coexistence with other stars. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/how-can-the-mavericks-get-luka-doncic-a-co-star-that-depends-on-how-patient-theyre-willing-to-be/

This is probably the best article I've seen.  No idea if this is how they roll, but the article is very well thought out and not something we've spent time on (as opposed to regurgitating the same trades we've been making for the last month).  Not Plan Powder, but "Plan Booker".  

There isn't a requirement that the key player be DeRozan.  It can be any of the older guys who would take our money (my preference is Conley).  The 2023 draft will have passed by then and will put us in a better position with draft capital.

From a PR standpoint, we are getting a "name FA" this summer.  So we satisfy the fan base that wants us to "DO SOMETHING".  As I've said, you can argue that just one more good (not great) real NBA starter would have gotten us past LAC.  So, we would still be knocking on the door with a plan like this.  But the "real" plan is just to get us from here to 2024.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 07:17 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: KP is a unicorn at center in today's NBA. He's not a unicorn at forward. At forward, he's just a shooter who can't defend the perimeter and I can list two dozen guys I'd rather start than KP at PF. 

Unfortunately, he was utterly unplayable at center in the playoffs. 

werd

Zach Lowe said this word for word this afternoon.

KP at 4 is no better than Markannen, Bertans, random stretch 4.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 08:08 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Regarding OKC...Give me the worst of their 2023 picks as part of the deal...

Absolutely. Would be interested in that from any of the teams really.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 08:27 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: But the "real" plan is just to get us from here to 2024.

I get the logic with this and I do think the Mavs have to think long term......BUT I am convinced Luka is ready to win NOW (if he can just fix his diet and conditioning). I would hate squander true contention for three years aiming for 2024. 

But for me it ALL comes down to something I don't know:

What can the Mavs TRULY get for KP in a trade?

If I knew that then I would have a better sense of how to build moving forward.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 09:09 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I get the logic with this and I do think the Mavs have to think long term......BUT I am convinced Luka is ready to win NOW (if he can just fix his diet and conditioning). I would hate squander true contention for three years aiming for 2024. 

I'm totally with you, but...I also hope Luka's 25-32 years are wasted because the cap is jacked all to hell. 

People WILL want to play with him at that time (not now, they're still pissed that such a young pup is getting all the attention, and they're still trying to prove he's not as good as they've been told). If there isn't a way to bring his friends here during those years, he WILL go to play with them somewhere else. And, I honestly don't think it will matter whether he has won a ring yet or not. 

The expectation, I think, is that Luka is on a team FAVORED as one of 3-4 contenders for the ENTIRETY of THOSE YEARS. What's happening NOW won't matter so much when we're there.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - chaparral - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 08:27 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This is probably the best article I've seen.  No idea if this is how they roll, but the article is very well thought out and not something we've spent time on (as opposed to regurgitating the same trades we've been making for the last month).  Not Plan Powder, but "Plan Booker".  

There isn't a requirement that the key player be DeRozan.  It can be any of the older guys who would take our money (my preference is Conley).  The 2023 draft will have passed by then and will put us in a better position with draft capital.

From a PR standpoint, we are getting a "name FA" this summer.  So we satisfy the fan base that wants us to "DO SOMETHING".  As I've said, you can argue that just one more good (not great) real NBA starter would have gotten us past LAC.  So, we would still be knocking on the door with a plan like this.  But the "real" plan is just to get us from here to 2024.

OK, Plan 2024.  But why Conley over Lowry?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 09:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The expectation, I think, is that Luka is on a team FAVORED as one of 3-4 contenders for the ENTIRETY of THOSE YEARS. What's happening NOW won't matter so much when we're there.

What is happening will determine if Luka is still on the Mavs in those years. If the Mavs cannot show him that they are willing and smart enough to build around him (including paying luxury tax) he could be gone before he enters his best years.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 08:27 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This is probably the best article I've seen.  No idea if this is how they roll, but the article is very well thought out and not something we've spent time on (as opposed to regurgitating the same trades we've been making for the last month).  Not Plan Powder, but "Plan Booker".  

If something like this is the plan I would be really disappointed. Just like free agency. Next year is the big one. In two years the Mavs need capspace for player x/y/z. At some point people need to realize that it is not working.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 09:17 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: What is happening will determine if Luka is still on the Mavs in those years. If the Mavs cannot show him that they are willing and smart enough to build around him (including paying luxury tax) he could be gone before he enters his best years.

See, I think it's more about the team's ability to maneuver in such a way where they are in position to deliver the team he wants/needs when he is truly aware enough to know it, right around when this coming extension is over (5 years, I think, if the 5th year of the extension is a player option). 

I don't think ANY amount of team success between now and then will matter much to him at that time if the roster isn't very flexible AT THAT TIME. Obviously, I'm not suggesting they don't TRY to put a great team out there in the meantime, but they need to make SMART decisions relative to timing. 

Maybe I'm wrong.

(06-07-2021, 09:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: See, I think it's more about the team's ability to maneuver in such a way where they are in position to deliver the team he wants/needs when he is truly aware enough to know it, right around when this coming extension is over (5 years, I think, if the 5th year of the extension is a player option). 

I don't think ANY amount of team success between now and then will matter much to him at that time if the roster isn't very flexible AT THAT TIME. Obviously, I'm not suggesting they don't TRY to put a great team out there in the meantime, but they need to make SMART decisions relative to timing. 

Maybe I'm wrong.

I am not suggesting a 00s Cavs like all in approach that leaves the Mavs with terrible contracts, no capspace or picks but I do think that Luka wants the Mavs to do everything  in their power to win now. There are no guarantees in the NBA. One injury. One bad trade (KP). The Mavs have to make the most of it while they have Luka.

(06-07-2021, 09:30 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I am not suggesting a 00s Cavs like all in approach that leaves the Mavs with terrible contracts, no capspace or picks but I do think that Luka wants the Mavs to do everything  in their power to win now. There are no guarantees in the NBA. One injury. One bad trade (KP). The Mavs have to make the most of it while they have Luka.

I don't disagree with any of this in spirit. 

My ideal approach can best be described by: not like they built around Dirk.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DallasBasketball - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 07:26 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Steven Adams also I think would be a good get if you are sending back salary (again Rich, Powell are candidates there). Adams doesn't fit next to Zion. Pels need to play fast and spread you out. Adams would work really well on the Mavs who play a deliberately slower pace.

Adams contract is pretty reasonable 17 x 2, you would even shave off some money if you sent back Powell and J Rich.

It’s hard to think of a reason not to do this. I’d have to believe Powell and Richardson’s depth as role players is more valuable than having a big man in the middle who *I think* can make a difference.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 09:35 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: It’s hard to think of a reason not to do this. I’d have to believe Powell and Richardson’s depth as role players is more valuable than having a big man in the middle who *I think* can make a difference.

J Rich I think wants out, that much is clear. He would probably do better in another scheme but I also think he might opt to take his money, know Mavs will move him along somewhere else. I just think similar to Wright, the fit wasn't there. Powell is a good player and one I have grown to appreciate. 

I do think that with Adams you basically can buy low on him without using your major assets (KP, Brunson, etc) and he would step in and have an immediate impact in the starting lineup. He is also at a stage in his career where I don't think he's going to pout if he has to sit in the fourth because Mavs need to go small for a certain matchup. So for that reason he's one of my new favorite ideas.

The KP, Brunson and maybe even Maxi "chips" should be reserved for a legit playmaker.

I am also good with throwing money at any of the old guys, Lowry, Conley, DeRozan with DR seeming like the most gettable of the bunch. I like THJ but he seems like the classic guy on your own team you fall too much in love with situation. I know he is a shooter but he didn't make shots when it mattered. I would argue DeRozan who isn't an outside shooter but is definitely a mid-range + attack the basket and good passer would have been much better than THJ. DR is also still only 31 I think he is still in his prime. You have to live with the lack of defense.

(06-07-2021, 09:50 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: J Rich I think wants out, that much is clear.

Didn't do an exit interview I don't think.....

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DallasBasketball - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 09:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: See, I think it's more about the team's ability to maneuver in such a way where they are in position to deliver the team he wants/needs when he is truly aware enough to know it, right around when this coming extension is over (5 years, I think, if the 5th year of the extension is a player option). 

Maybe I'm wrong.

I think you are right. 

The greatest roster builds in the last 2 decades were 

1. Lakers 3peat - Timing, salesmanship, draft expertise all combined to pull off the heist of Shaquille O’Neal and the drafting of Kobe Bryant

2. 2010 cHeat - Pat Riley maneuvering for cap space when he had the inside track to LeBron James via Dwade

3.  2008 Boston - the original super team that did it the way any team could have done it. They developed and accumulated assets and parlayed them with great timing into the combo of Garnett, Allen, Pierce and Rondo.

4.  2016 Warriors - They did it through the draft and then got lucky via the unique situation of steph’s cheap contract and 1-time increase in the cap. 

5. Tim Duncan-Kawhi Spurs - They tanked, so they cheated, but after that they drafted and developed their asses off. 

6. 2015 Cavs/2019-2020 Lakers - With help from the league, they accrued draft collateral and landed appealing players which they traded for stars upon landing Lebron James via their individual inside tracks to the star. 2009 Lakers also got help from the league.

So of the situations above Mavs have first tried to follow in the path of the 3peat Lakers via draft and trade, but if it cannot work out they must pivot to the 2010 cHeat model for round 2 of Doncic. We cannot rely on luck (16 Warriors) or the league helping us out (Cavs/Lakers). We are not consistently good enough at drafting to do what the Spurs did in my opinion, nor do we have the asset discipline like Boston.

Swinging for the fences is Mark Cuban’s style.  

But do we have the inside track?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - vfromlmf - 06-07-2021

Alternate take on KP.

Pitchforks are out and I get it. KP's an easy target. Highest paid Mav, supposed second fiddle averaged 13 and 5 in the playoffs. Not good enough, so Dallas lost.

Or is there more to the story? 

Remember, the Mavs weren't supposed to win this series. I think 25 of 25 ESPN pundits picked the Clippers, most in 5 or 6 games. Vegas favored them too. But Dallas stormed out to a 2-0 series lead and forced LA to make some major adjustments to their attack.

Key for Dallas was KP at center (where he does unicorn things) and the Clippers were simply overmatched. KP played well. He didn't post huge numbers, but who cares. Mavs were winning and KP was efficient with his scoring, positive +/- and the spacing was devastating to the Clippers defense. As a result, Luka rendered two of LA's key players unplayable, Beverly & Zubac.

Game 3 opened like the previous two, with Dallas racking up a huge lead against LA's starters. Then things changed. Lue said they finally figured out how to attack the Mavs by going small.

Let me reiterate this point. It looked like the Mavs might sweep the favored Clippers unless they drastically changed their strategy by pulling their center and going small. 

Now, does anyone remember the 2007 playoffs when Nelly's "We Believe" Warriors knocked off top seeded Mavs by going small? It felt SO bad because it seemed like Nelly built Dirk then exploited his only weakness. He tore Dirk down on the biggest stage. Nelly played small ball and it was Dirk's kryptonite.

Small ball was 2021 Mavs' kryptonite as well, but for different reasons. The 2007 Mavs needed Dirk to score but he couldn't get free against the Warriors switching defense. This year it was all about the Mavs defense. KP couldn't defend the rim so Carlisle had to go big, which moved KP from his unicorn position to forward where he is less effective. That also meant less Kleber and more Boban and WCS. Dallas lost 4 of the next 5 games.

So back to my original point and alternate take on KP. Dallas would have beaten the Clippers had they played straight up. They only lost when LA went small. Just like the Warriors series in '07. 

Good thing Dallas didn't just trade Dirk. Obviously, he figured out how to attack small ball. 

I'm willing to bet KP will figure it out too. He's already shown he can defend the rim. Maybe he just needs a little more time to recover from his surgery before he can do it consistently. He's still only 25. He'll get better and Dallas will add better defenders around him. If he does figure out how to play center against small ball lineups, watch out. This team is going to be a contender.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 11:35 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Alternate take on KP.

Pitchforks are out and I get it. KP's an easy target. Highest paid Mav, supposed second fiddle averaged 13 and 5 in the playoffs. Not good enough, so Dallas lost.

Or is there more to the story? 

Remember, the Mavs weren't supposed to win this series. I think 25 of 25 ESPN pundits picked the Clippers, most in 5 or 6 games. Vegas favored them too. But Dallas stormed out to a 2-0 series lead and forced LA to make some major adjustments to their attack.

Key for Dallas was KP at center (where he does unicorn things) and the Clippers were simply overmatched. KP played well. He didn't post huge numbers, but who cares. Mavs were winning and KP was efficient with his scoring, positive +/- and the spacing was devastating to the Clippers defense. As a result, Luka rendered two of LA's key players unplayable, Beverly & Zubac.

Game 3 opened like the previous two, with Dallas racking up a huge lead against LA's starters. Then things changed. Lue said they finally figured out how to attack the Mavs by going small.

Let me reiterate this point. It looked like the Mavs might sweep the favored Clippers unless they drastically changed their strategy by pulling their center and going small. 

Now, does anyone remember the 2007 playoffs when Nelly's "We Believe" Warriors knocked off top seeded Mavs by going small? It felt SO bad because it seemed like Nelly built Dirk then exploited his only weakness. He tore Dirk down on the biggest stage. Nelly played small ball and it was Dirk's kryptonite.

Small ball was 2021 Mavs' kryptonite as well, but for different reasons. The 2007 Mavs needed Dirk to score but he couldn't get free against the Warriors switching defense. This year it was all about the Mavs defense. KP couldn't defend the rim so Carlisle had to go big, which moved KP from his unicorn position to forward where he is less effective. That also meant less Kleber and more Boban and WCS. Dallas lost 4 of the next 5 games.

So back to my original point and alternate take on KP. Dallas would have beaten the Clippers had they played straight up. They only lost when LA went small. Just like the Warriors series in '07. 

Good thing Dallas didn't just trade Dirk. Obviously, he figured out how to attack small ball. 

I'm willing to bet KP will figure it out too. He's already shown he can defend the rim. Maybe he just needs a little more time to recover from his surgery before he can do it consistently. He's still only 25. He'll get better and Dallas will add better defenders around him. If he does figure out how to play center against small ball lineups, watch out. This team is going to be a contender.

The team we had the most trouble with this year, the Sacramento Kings basically ran small ball all the time.

I think you're onto something here...