MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 01:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:

The post up numbers are depressing. Over the last two seasons:

0.85ppc against centers, 37th percentile
0.88ppc against forwards, 12th percentile
1.04ppc against guards,  63th percentile

The screen numbers even more. "When Porzingis sets an on ball screen defenders switch 27% of the time. That´s the most often of all bigs to set at least 1000 screens this season"
[Image: 26b250a738ea4abc7a5af4d42ad93af0.jpg]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Hypermav - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 02:18 PM)omahen Wrote: https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1401956054062321667

Luka is on KP island with me now.  Not many peoples here, I can see Gilligan and the Skipper.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 06-07-2021

https://ahnfiredigital.com/nba/washington-wizards/report-washington-wizards-continue-to-monitor-kristaps-porzingis/

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 12:46 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: No. In the first 2-3 games Kawhi was guarding KP. Smart move from Lue because the Mavs don´t want to run pick and roll with the guy that Kawhi is guarding. Would be an easy switch. Obviously would be a different story if KP could set "real" screens or punish the mismatch against smaller guys. But based on everything we know that´s not the case and the Luka/KP pick and roll would result in a switch.
When the Mavs went big in the following games. The Mavs had a better inside option. Boban can do all the things that KP cannot do on offense. Set screens. Establish position inside. Take advantage of smaller defenders. This is the KP-Powell scenario from last season. KP wasn´t happy because the offense was build around the Doncic/Powell pick and roll. Turning the 2nd big into a spot up shooter /cutter.

Maybe KP could have pulled the trigger on some semi open catch and shoot opportunities. Maybe his teammates missed him on a few occasions. In the end it comes down to KP and his level of play (on both ends, haven´t even mentioned the biggest problem...defense). We can try to find excuses for him or question why  a 7´3 guy cannot score over guards. Why he cannot set a screen. Why he cannot shoot better percentages from midrange and 3-point range.
Look, this has turned into something I didn’t say. I said the teams that were interested in him before the playoffs won’t be scared off of him after, because they can look at how the gameplan minimized what he did. All season he wasn’t all that good at defense, so if they were interested in him before, and he didn’t do well during, it’s a moot point.

He was a 20 ppg scorer from the C spot on his best efficiency in his career. Constantly looking at the bad he did isn’t going to change that.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 03:19 PM)omahen Wrote: https://ahnfiredigital.com/nba/washington-wizards/report-washington-wizards-continue-to-monitor-kristaps-porzingis/

Quote:“Kristaps Porzingis, who is reportedly frustrated with his situation in Dallas, is a name to watch,” wrote Chris Crouse of FortyEightMinutes. “The front office continues to monitor Porzingis’ situation, though the price tag will be a major factor in whether or not the Wizards can pull off a deal.”

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DallasBasketball - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 02:58 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Luka is on KP island with me now.  Not many peoples here, I can see Gilligan and the Skipper.

I’m with Luka, and I’ve been wondering all season why KP isn’t featured more.

But then I think about it like this... did the Bulls feature Scottie Pippen instead of Michael Jordan! No No No!

So that’s our dilemma.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 04:04 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: But then I think about it like this... did the Bulls feature Scottie Pippen instead of Michael Jordan! No No No!
Huh? No one is asking for RC to feature KP instead of Luka. Scottie got plenty of usage when MJ was in or out of the game.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-07-2021

Stole this from @"StrandedOnBeauboisHill"....Vegas Odds for KP trade destinations:

Boston +200
Golden State +225
OKC +300
Orlando +400
Washington +500
Chicago +600

Here are the assets and trade matching salaries I have my eyes on from each of those teams to try and build a trade with...

BOSTON
Smart
Fournier (sign and trade)
RWIII
Nesmith
#16 pick

GOLDEN STATE
Wiggins
Wiseman
#6 pick

OKC
Horford
#4 pick
#18 pick
future picks

ORLANDO
Harris
Hampton
#3 pick
#8 pick

WASHINGTON
Bertans
Bryant
Advija
Rui
#15 pick

CHICAGO
Vucevic
Satoransky
Markkanen (sign and trade)
P Williams 
future picks

If even three of these teams are interested I feel good about the Mavs position to get something SOLID for KP.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 06-07-2021

are you saying some combo of those assets?  or that's the package you want from each team?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DallasBasketball - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 04:14 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Huh? No one is asking for RC to feature KP instead of Luka. Scottie got plenty of usage when MJ was in or out of the game.

Let me start at the beginning. I think the whole ‘KP doesn’t fit thing’ stems from our offense being 1 and 4 out or 1 w a roller and 3 out. And if we can run 100 pick n rolls a game we are in our sweet spot. That’s our offense.

I believe RC is not wanting to break from that style offense to create action specific to KP at the expense of the system and/or the ball in Luka’s hands.

So my point about Pippen is just an analogy. You’re right it misses the mark, because he was a point forward. But all I am trying to say is if you have a Jordan it makes sense that would you not want to take the ball out of his hands. 

The irony is that you will have to sometimes and the roster has to be developed in order to do that as well.

(06-07-2021, 04:25 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: are you saying some of those assets?  or are you saying that's the package you want? 

I thought I was pretty clear in my post. These are the assets I have my eyes on to try and build a package from.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 06-07-2021

I think GS, Boston, Washington are realistic.

OKC only if we want to give them 1st round picks in order to get rid of KP.

Orlando makes no sense.

(06-07-2021, 04:22 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Stole this from @"StrandedOnBeauboisHill"....Vegas Odds for KP trade destinations:

Boston +200
Golden State +225
OKC +300
Orlando +400
Washington +500
Chicago +600

Here are the assets and trade matching salaries I have my eyes on from each of those teams to try and build a trade with...

BOSTON
Smart
Fournier (sign and trade)
RWIII
Nesmith
#16 pick

GOLDEN STATE
Wiggins
Wiseman
#6 pick

OKC
Horford
#4 pick
#18 pick
future picks

ORLANDO
Harris
Hampton
#3 pick
#8 pick

WASHINGTON
Bertans
Bryant
Advija
Rui
#15 pick

CHICAGO
Vucevic
Satoransky
Markkanen (sign and trade)
P Williams 
future picks

If even three of these teams are interested I feel good about the Mavs position to get something SOLID for KP.

Thank you for putting together that list. Amazing work.

(06-07-2021, 04:28 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: OKC only if we want to give them 1st round picks in order to get rid of KP.

Orlando makes no sense.

Well Vegas money disagrees with you.

lol ok mr vegas

A team that just publicly told everyone they're going to rebuild is going to trade for a max player....RIGHT.  I forgot rebuilding teams LOVE to trade away top 10 draft picks too.

[Image: tenor.gif]

(06-07-2021, 04:32 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: lol ok mr vegas

OKC is in a tight position:

1) They need to try to turn Horford's salary spot into something else.
2) They have SO many assets that they need to consolidate them so they don't go to waste.

KP offers them the opportunity to replace Horford's old man dead money with a young prospect they can rehabilitate into greater value and flip later. I think OKC would be able to increase KP's future trade value a lot by featuring him with their other young players. OKC also cannot possibly sign all of their first round picks every year, so in order to keep those from losing all value they need to bring some of them together into a single asset. Hence KP comes into play.

Orlando is desperate, having not been relevant in 11 years basically. They want to build around Fultz and Isaac. Having a player like KP gives them some offense and shooting they are desperately missing. And they might even have the defenders to surround him with.

(06-07-2021, 04:26 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I thought I was pretty clear in my post. These are the assets I have my eyes on to try and build a package from.
Yep, the step beyond that would be if other teams are interested in those assets that have the assets we want and are willing to let go of them.

Would love it if IND saw some value in a couple players on a certain team's list that is worth trading Turner to us for. Let's say Washington. If they have interest in Rui or Avdija, is that and another piece worth it to them? Avdija and Maxi for Turner and we get the rest of the assets from Washington?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-07-2021

Boston +200
Golden State +225
OKC +300
Orlando +400
Washington +500
Chicago +600

These are the odds I think bc the odd-makers I guess are betting on contract dumps.

Boston - I know they think Kemba is the guy
GSW -  Wiggins-based
OKC - Horford-based
Orlando - Harris-based
Wizards - Bertans+ based
Chicago - Young/Sato+ based. They don't have any picks to offer but Coby White could be the prize + Young/Sato being good role players. The big thing here is you would get a lot of future cap relief. For the Bulls they would get basically get KP for Coby White. Chicago seems like a weird landing spot considering they couldn't play Lauri and Vucevic together.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-07-2021

Actually Chicago makes sense bc of the Lauri to Mavs rumor, forgot ab that. Still wouldn't make a ton of sense for Bulls.

(06-07-2021, 04:39 PM)Kammrath Wrote: OKC is in a tight position:

1) They need to try to turn Horford's salary spot into something else.
2) They have SO many assets that they need to consolidate them so they don't go to waste.

KP offers them the opportunity to replace Horford's old man dead money with a young prospect they can rehabilitate into greater value and flip later. I think OKC would be able to increase KP's future trade value a lot by featuring him with their other young players. OKC also cannot possibly sign all of their first round picks every year, so in order to keep those from losing all value they need to bring some of them together into a single asset. Hence KP comes into play.

I agree with Kamm on this. OKC has more picks than they need and they can't be drafting first round players forever. I could see them cashing in 2-3 picks + Horford to see what KP has. They can always move him later. He could probably get more shots in OKC as SGA and Dort maybe are the only guys really competing for shots?