MavsBoard
Team Tank 2022-23 - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Team Tank 2022-23 (/showthread.php?tid=2298)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - loki - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 03:46 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Ok. You’re talking me down here. They weren’t good before the trade, and I don’t think that’s the problem. But the coaching staff?  I really believe it’s cost the Mavs at least 10-12 wins this season.

Agreed. It's pretty shocking how bad they've been. I figured last year's playoff run would buy Kidd some time, but it's hard to imagine Cuban sticking with him if they miss the playoffs.

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - IamDougieFresh - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 04:07 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: The Bulls are going to beat the Lakers. We must lose out.

BigDirk41 is my spirit animal

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - Knutsen - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 04:16 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I completely forgot that there are no tiebreakers for ping-pong balls, so if we lose out, Utah needs to win just one more game. In that case we at least get a coin flip for 9th. That should be possible. Smile

They play at San Antonio on Thursday, that one they should hopefully win. They have two games left against the Lakers, hopefully they‘ll win one of those. The rest of their games are against pretty good teams.

I fear we can‘t afford to win another game if we want to keep our pick.

Edit: So Chicago did beat the Lakers in LA - that means we have the 10th worst record now for the moment!

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - omahen - 03-26-2023

Its obvious this team just wants the season to end as soon as possible. No point in playing starters anymore.

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - dirkfansince1998 - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 06:40 PM)omahen Wrote: Its obvious this team just wants the season to end as soon as possible. No point in playing starters anymore.

Playing the starters might be the best way to guarantee a successful tank job...

[Image: Screenshot-2023-03-27-at-01-43-36-Tankat...ulator.png]

Catching Utah would be huge. 9th odds give the Mavs  a 96.8% chance to keep the pick compared to 79.8% for the 10th odds.

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - ThisIStheYear - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 04:27 PM)loki Wrote: Agreed. It's pretty shocking how bad they've been. I figured last year's playoff run would buy Kidd some time, but it's hard to imagine Cuban sticking with him if they miss the playoffs.

You can’t stay with him. You just can’t. The Mavs had some injuries but nothing out of the ordinary. So this really is what they are with the current coaches. I can’t think of a time when a team just goes in the crapper, keeps it’s coach, and comes roaring back. They need to get a coach’s coach this off-season. No more thinking outside the box. No more gifts to ex players.

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - omahen - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 06:42 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Playing the starters might be the best way to guarantee a successful tank job...

While this might be true, it would also pile up huge amounts of negative energy. I think it is much better to end the season watching deep bench hustle (and most likely lose most if not all of the games) and see who is worth keeping, than continue with this.

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - Chicagojk - 03-26-2023

If they counted G-league records we would be sitting golden.  Texas Legends are 7-25 with the worst record in the G league.

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - loki - 03-26-2023

OKC wins in Portland to stay at 38 losses. Would be nice if Minny can beat Golden State to stay at 37 since they are on the road against the Kings tomorrow night as well.

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 07:14 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: You can’t stay with him. You just can’t. The Mavs had some injuries but nothing out of the ordinary. So this really is what they are with the current coaches. I can’t think of a time when a team just goes in the crapper, keeps it’s coach, and comes roaring back. They need to get a coach’s coach this off-season. No more thinking outside the box. No more gifts to ex players.

Co-sign.

A good coach would have found ways to work with the roster. Kidd just puts the blame on the "cards he was dealt with".
Instead of designing and implementing plays, Kidd played mind games. I would have appreciated mind games with good intentions, but Kidd's version is born out of arrogance.

Turns out, he isn't only arrogant, but he is incompetent too.

Now, the only thing going for Kidd is connections with Luka (and Kyrie).
If Kidd thinks he can stay because Luka likes him, then Kidd's an 1d10t.
If Cubes retains Kidd because of Luka, then Cubes is the bigger 1d10t.
If Luka demands Kidd to stay and wouldn't prefer anyone else -- I wouldn't want Luka on this team. Will only prove to me, he's a diva and isn't someone who'd actually give their best because he doesn't demand for better results.

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - hakeemfaan - 03-26-2023

Friends if we are talking about trading Luka then it has to come from him where we have no option but to trade him. However whether it comes from him or the Mavs proactively try to shake up this whole thing, before it comes to moving Luka, both Nico and Kidd have to be gone and an experienced front office guy that most of us agree upon have to be in place. 

I have zero confidence in this current MBT iteration winning any trade. So before going scorched earth to rebuild, they have to be out.

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - F Gump - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 08:21 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: If they counted G-league records we would be sitting golden.  Texas Legends are 7-25 with the worst record in the G league.

Cuban continues to be inept at using the Legends to extract NBA value, doesn't he? Early as an owner, he did a cost analysis of developing talent, decided it was an inefficient use of resources, and intentionally opted to "think outside the box" (outsmart the rest of the league) by building the talent base without scouting, drafting, development, etc, leaving those hard-to-do tasks to other franchises and then he could just buy their workproduct so to speak. Mistakes were solved by eating the bad payroll, and sometimes replacing it with players better but more expensive, rather than by having to wait for the next pick.

It worked somewhat. But the NBA began to clamp down on spending, and eventually made it too punitive to have a high dollar payroll. Unfortunately Cuban's never recovered from that original mindset of leaving the frustrating drafting and development tasks to others.

It spills over to the GL. Many franchises have learned to develop marginal prospects into usable NBA players via the GL but Mavs continue to flail.

(03-26-2023, 08:55 PM)F Gump Wrote: Cuban continues to be inept at using the Legends to extract NBA value, doesn't he? He intentionally opted to try to build a winner without scouting, drafting, development, etc, leaving those hard-to-do tasks to other franchises and then he could just buy their workproduct so to speak. He's never recovered from that mindset.

Many franchises have learned to develop marginal prospects into usable NBA players via the GL but Mavs continue to flail.

It is just weird.   I would think this is the fun part of being a scout.   I know very few of these guys ever make it to the NBA or have a long NBA career.   But finding interesting prospects to get a closer look should be the fun part of the job.  

I was pretty critical of them last year too.  But Eugene turned out to be a pretty interesting dude.  Same with the SMU guy they had who eventually went to the Knicks.  Even Carlik Jones who is probably a G-league lifer has been productive in that league.    It seems like this year, they said ok we are good here.    Even the priority undrafted free agent they brought in, Marcus Bingham, was not exciting.   

I know very little of the names of the rest of the team, but I can tell you none are exciting.   Justin Jackson was a heck of a college player and a nice guy, but why bring him back to the G-league team?   

It is petty, but it has always bugged me.  I feel like if you don't put in any pride of finding interesting prospects for your G-league, do you put any priority in scouting?  I looked over our roster and AJ Lawson is the only player under 24.    Grant Riller had some draft buzz a few years ago and was a late second round pick.    But he has bounced around a ton already.   Justin Jackson has been in the league for a while.  I don't believe anyone else on the roster has a chance to ever sniff the NBA.   I mean not even close.

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - F Gump - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 08:30 PM)loki Wrote: OKC wins in Portland to stay at 38 losses. Would be nice if Minny can beat Golden State to stay at 37 since they are on the road against the Kings tomorrow night as well.

In a tanking race, the real standings are about the number of wins. A tanking team can add losses as they wish, more or less, but they can never erase a win.

Mavs are stuck with 36 wins on their record. I'm not sure they can afford any more, but we have to hope the teams around them all stumble their way to 38 or more, just in case. If we use 38 as our standard, then it's easier to see which other teams are already there, or might accidentally get there, and which teams are going to be the real "competition" until the last game for one of those top-10 slots.

1st 8 lottery slots -- out of reach to get to 37 or 38 - all at 33 wins or less
35 - UT
36 - DAL CHI
37 - ATL LAL TOR OKC NO MIN

(03-26-2023, 08:30 PM)loki Wrote: OKC wins in Portland to stay at 38 losses. Would be nice if Minny can beat Golden State to stay at 37 since they are on the road against the Kings tomorrow night as well.

I can't wait to see how we screw this up.   You know it is coming.  They are so stubborn, they will be eliminated from the playoffs but think it will be good momentum for next year to win the last two games of the year.  The last game being a 40 point beatdown by the Spurs who dress their mascot as Luka plays 47 minutes.

Will anyone tell Luka to sit down once eliminated.  I really think they wouldn't.

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - dynamicalVoid - 03-26-2023

Way to rip off the season ticket holders and fans.  Or are they offered money back when a team tanks?

Doesnt seem like ticket prices change when an Org decides to not compete.

Typical coward behavior.

(03-26-2023, 04:27 PM)loki Wrote: Agreed. It's pretty shocking how bad they've been. I figured last year's playoff run would buy Kidd some time, but it's hard to imagine Cuban sticking with him if they miss the playoffs.

It will be fascinating how things play out.  We will really get a glimpse of the front office this offseason too.  I thought right up to the Charlotte games that there was a 99% chance Kidd is back.  Now?   I can't explain the last two games.   I think even if we lost in the playin game or missed the playoffs by a game, they could create a story for bringing back Kidd (not saying I would agree with it).  But the Charlotte losses makes this really tough. 

I was already thinking how they would answer the disappointing season.   Both of our stars were hurt and they didn't play much together.  Almost all of our losses were close and  excruciating endings.   Just bad luck.    At the end of the season, the dam broke and the team was just exhausted.   ETC.   I think this was how they were going to answer this season.  But losing twice to a depleted and bad team?  It is tough to try to sell this story now.

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - LifeAquatic - 03-26-2023

Minnesota beat GS!

Edit: The exclamation point I put there reminded me how sad and pathetic it is that I'm reduced to begin excited about seeing MN get a 38th win.

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - ItsGoTime - 03-26-2023

Luka and Kyrie should have been shut down after the all star game and the tank should’ve been on then. If they had, we’d be talking about the odds of getting a top 4 pick right now.

RE: Team Tank 2022-23 - Jym - 03-27-2023

(03-26-2023, 11:16 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Luka and Kyrie should have been shut down after the all star game and the tank should’ve been on then. If they had, we’d be talking about the odds of getting a top 4 pick right now.

The bigger question is if we could have gotten a decent pick or 2 for DFS and Dinwiddie