MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - HoosierDaddyKid - 10-27-2022

This is so sad...

https://www.tmz.com/2022/10/27/delonte-west-arrested-again-hit-with-four-criminal-charges/

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - ItsGoTime - 10-27-2022

(10-27-2022, 07:50 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: This is so sad...

https://www.tmz.com/2022/10/27/delonte-west-arrested-again-hit-with-four-criminal-charges/
Some people just don’t want to be helped.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 10-27-2022

Brunson, DSJ and Maledon were all good to great last night in Knicks vs. Hornets. Small sample but man, what a whiff on the guard spot. Facu has exactly zero upside. And that’s not a short joke.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - mvossman - 10-27-2022

(10-27-2022, 10:31 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Brunson, DSJ and Maledon were all good to great last night in Knicks vs. Hornets. Small sample but man, what a whiff on the guard spot. Facu has exactly zero upside. And that’s  not a short joke.

They were not looking for upside.  They were looking for a vet who can sit on the bench most games, but provide NBA level PG play when disaster strikes.  Any development/upside minutes are going to go to Green/Frank/Hardy and maybe Dorsey.  Not a lot of those minutes are available when you are aiming for a high playoff seed.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - SleepingHero - 10-27-2022

(10-27-2022, 01:28 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: That´s the Kobe fallacy. Are you a clutch player if you take every single clutch shot. Shooting 25% on them?

That's a fair point, but Luka isn't even remotely close to shooing 25% on clutch shots. 

Avid writer for 538 Michael Beuoy created this metric to define "clutchness" and I think it encapsulates the vagueness of the term quite well and defines it as such. 

https://www.inpredictable.com/2016/01/heroes-goats-and-garbage-men-new-clutch.html

Luka shoots a career 53.8% FG on shots crucial to game outcome.  (i.e to win/go ahead/tie with less than 2 mins remaining). 

Compare that with Lebron (43.1%), Kobe (43.3%), Dirk (42.3%) (* these are career numbers and Luka's career is only 5 years in but the point remains the same). It only takes just watching Luka over the last 4 years for those stats to match the eye test. He is an extremely clutch individual. He had 3 game winning step back threes alone last season. He's more than earned my trust when it comes to taking a game winning 3. 

Though I will concede, could the Mavs have gotten a better shot than that? Of course. But was I fine with Luka getting it and taking it? Yes.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - Kammrath - 10-27-2022

(10-27-2022, 02:01 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Luka shoots a career 53.8% FG on shots crucial to game outcome.

Where are you seeing this number?

Ok, finally found it. Here is the actual chart:

[Image: Screenshot-2022-10-27-4.00.16-PM.png]

Luka is NOT shooting 53.8% on field goals, instead he has an "effective field goal %" of 53.8%. The formula is (FG + 0.5 * 3P) / FGA. 

That is good still, really good compared to the league. But Luka is still missing more shots than he makes.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - ItsGoTime - 10-27-2022

(10-27-2022, 04:04 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Ok, finally found it. Here is the actual chart:

[Image: Screenshot-2022-10-27-4.00.16-PM.png]

Luka is NOT shooting 53.8% on field goals, instead he has an "effective field goal %" of 53.8%. The formula is (FG + 0.5 * 3P) / FGA. 

That is good still, really good compared to the league. But Luka is still missing more shots than he makes.
I mostly agree with your Luka takes (especially the bodily care), but this is one I can’t take that journey with you. Luka is as clutch as anyone ever has been. I don’t want him taking every single shot at the end of the game (even Jordan deferred), but if the game is on the line, Luka is NEVER gonna be a bad choice. We do need to develop reliable secondary options (and the only way to develop that is doing it in real time) and him doing it on his own so much does stifle that for the team.

(10-27-2022, 04:28 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Luka is NEVER gonna be a bad choice.

I LIKE Luka shooting the last shot, never said otherwise. I was simply scoffing at SD's complete overstatement of Luka's clutchness. Clutch shots are HARD. Nobody makes most of them.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - dirkfansince1998 - 10-27-2022

18/19: 44.6% FG 30.6% from 3 66.7% FT
19/20: 36.1% FG 17.1% from 3 64.5% FT
20/21: 47.6% FG 26.1% from 3 83.3% FT
21/22: 48.4% FG 23.1% from 3 85.7% FT

small sample size 22/23: 4/10 FG 0/5 from 3 4/4 FT

20% from 3 for his career in clutch minutes. Gets even worse when we just look at the last minute of the game.

Summary. Luka taking a lot of clutch FGA isn´t a bad idea. Luka´s tendency to force step back 3s even though more often than not there is enough time to create something else isn´ leading to great results.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - Kammrath - 10-28-2022

[Image: FgKWIDKWQAgMto5?format=jpg&name=large]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - Kammrath - 10-28-2022

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/1585984181934624769

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - Scott41theMavs - 10-28-2022

(10-28-2022, 09:46 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/1585984181934624769

Most surprising is the FTAs. Refs finally not swallowing whistles when the Mavs drive. Maybe Cuban's broke from paying them off. That's one way to make peace.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - Chicagojk - 10-28-2022

I am late to the party here, but I listened to Cato's podcast from eariler in the week and he said the Campazzo signing was not a quick decision.  He said Kidd and the front office had decided on him a while ago.  Has there been any talk why the signing took so long?   It is just really weird how slow this team operates at times.   From the non offer to Jalen last year to the Lack of interest in two way guys.  But at the same time the are quick to sign Javele and Sterling Browns of the world.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - KillerLeft - 10-28-2022

(10-28-2022, 03:39 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Has there been any talk why the signing took so long?

Just a guess, but I bet it's about the non-guaranteed nature of the contract, which preserves Cuban's option to save big tax money. I bet Campazzo was hoping someone else would make an offer that he could leverage to get a guaranteed deal from the Mavs. 

Just a guess though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - sefant - 10-29-2022

(10-28-2022, 03:39 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am late to the party here, but I listened to Cato's podcast from eariler in the week and he said the Campazzo signing was not a quick decision.  He said Kidd and the front office had decided on him a while ago.  Has there been any talk why the signing took so long?   It is just really weird how slow this team operates at times.   From the non offer to Jalen last year to the Lack of interest in two way guys.  But at the same time the are quick to sign Javele and Sterling Browns of the world.
I mean they probably would have taken Dragic 1st (tho there was a wait period), if he would have accepted that role. Cato said there was no pressure, because it wasn't running away, if i remember right.

But it makes sense (with the Dragic story) that this wasn't some type of panic signing based on preseason, some dudes on twitter or reddit tried to claim. I think its obvious the plan was always a PG with the 15th slot.

Question remains, if they were just a bit too honest with Dragic. You are telling me, teams don't try to sign players and promise players fairy tales all the time to get them to sign, and figure things out later. I find it difficult to promise NBA players blank playing time, and than player b or player c performs better.

Otherwise i think the stories that its Dragic dream to play with Luka were prolly a bit overboard. There was a lot of beef rumors during Eurobaskets surrounding that Slovenian team. Dragic beefed with the Slovenian coach. Something looked totally off with that team chemistry in comparison to the Olympics. Than those partying rumors during Eurobaskets. Dragic also said when he signed with the Bulls, that a big reason was Vucevic.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - DanSchwartzgan - 10-29-2022

(10-28-2022, 03:39 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am late to the party here, but I listened to Cato's podcast from eariler in the week and he said the Campazzo signing was not a quick decision.  He said Kidd and the front office had decided on him a while ago.  Has there been any talk why the signing took so long?   It is just really weird how slow this team operates at times.   From the non offer to Jalen last year to the Lack of interest in two way guys.  But at the same time the are quick to sign Javele and Sterling Browns of the world.

I heard that too.  Kind of kills the theory that Cuban was holding the 15th spot open to save tax if true.  We know they discussed this spot with Dragic.  I suspect they turned to FC after that.  Yes, it is NG, but that doesn't mean we won't have a 15th man all season.  The thing we know for certain is we have a 15th man now and are paying the associated tax for that position.

Re:  McGee and Sterling Brown.  There seems to be a high priority on guys Kidd knows and trusts.  He's clashed with front offices in his past head coaching stints over roster control.  Good or bad, he seems to have a lot of influence here so far.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - mvossman - 10-29-2022

(10-29-2022, 09:09 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I heard that too.  Kind of kills the theory that Cuban was holding the 15th spot open to save tax if true.  We know they discussed this spot with Dragic.  I suspect they turned to FC after that.  Yes, it is NG, but that doesn't mean we won't have a 15th man all season.  The thing we know for certain is we have a 15th man now and are paying the associated tax for that position.

Re:  McGee and Sterling Brown.  There seems to be a high priority on guys Kidd knows and trusts.  He's clashed with front offices in his past head coaching stints over roster control.  Good or bad, he seems to have a lot of influence here so far.

Given the success with the Brown signing and the early returns on McGee, I wonder how long that will continue.  He is also potentially why Dragic is not here.  Kidd has been a surprisingly good coach, but not impressed with his GM skills.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - DallasMaverick - 10-29-2022

(10-29-2022, 02:58 AM)sefant Wrote: I mean they probably would have taken Dragic 1st (tho there was a wait period), if he would have accepted that role. Cato said there was no pressure, because it wasn't running away, if i remember right.

But it makes sense (with the Dragic story) that this wasn't some type of panic signing based on preseason, some dudes on twitter or reddit tried to claim. I think its obvious the plan was always a PG with the 15th slot.

Question remains, if they were just a bit too honest with Dragic. You are telling me, teams don't try to sign players and promise players fairy tales all the time to get them to sign, and figure things out later. I find it difficult to promise NBA players blank playing time, and than player b or player c performs better.

Otherwise i think the stories that its Dragic dream to play with Luka were prolly a bit overboard. There was a lot of beef rumors during Eurobaskets surrounding that Slovenian team. Dragic beefed with the Slovenian coach. Something looked totally off with that team chemistry in comparison to the Olympics. Than those partying rumors during Eurobaskets. Dragic also said when he signed with the Bulls, that a big reason was Vucevic.

I think honesty really pays off in the long term.  Aside from the moral problem of lying, agents and players learn whom they can trust, and who's full of hot air.

Mr. Putin hasn't quite learned that lesson, apparently.

For all of Donnie's faults, he had a reputation as a pretty straight shooter.  Remember the promise to Wesley Matthews that he could have "whatever is left over of our cap after we sign..."?  Painful thought it was, he did what he said.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Campazzo signs (1 yr, non-guaranteed) - Kammrath - 10-30-2022

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1586668580556488705