MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 10-14-2022

(10-14-2022, 02:20 PM)F Gump Wrote: "No" to Kemba. "No" to Dragic." I get the impression that Kidd's fingerprints are all over these decisions.

Apparently NEITHER was thought by the Mavs to be a satisfactory solution, and isn't the common denominator that neither can play much defense anymore? Then I notice how Kidd demands defense, with it being the calling card to get minutes on his team. 

It feels like Kidd is vetoing players from being signed, because they don't fit what he's trying to build. And OTOH, "Yes" to having guys like Ntilikina and Green, who we don't like so much because of their offensive limitations, but who are pretty helpful defenders. And Campazzo, perhaps being added despite his lack of size and offensive limits, but considered to be a pesky defender.

This definitely feels like the case but also leaves me confused why Bledsoe got zero consideration since he's very much a defense first ball handler but given that Kidd has coached him I would assume that he's making that decision for one reason or another.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Scott41theMavs - 10-14-2022

(10-14-2022, 02:25 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: This definitely feels like the case but also leaves me confused why Bledsoe got zero consideration since he's very much a defense first ball handler but given that Kidd has coached him I would assume that he's making that decision for one reason or another.

Can't speak from my own knowledge, but several have commented that Bledsoe's defense is toast.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - cow - 10-14-2022

(10-14-2022, 02:20 PM)F Gump Wrote: "No" to Kemba. "No" to Dragic." I get the impression that Kidd's fingerprints are all over these decisions.

Apparently NEITHER was thought by the Mavs to be a satisfactory solution, and isn't the common denominator that neither can play much defense anymore? Then I notice how Kidd demands defense, with it being the calling card to get minutes on his team. 

It feels like Kidd is vetoing players from being signed, because they don't fit what he's trying to build. And OTOH, "Yes" to having guys like Ntilikina and Green, who we don't like so much because of their offensive limitations, but who are pretty helpful defenders. And Campazzo, perhaps being added despite his lack of size and offensive limits, but considered to be a pesky defender.

I think there is some truth there but I don't get the Campazzo signing.  He checks that defender box and can probably run an offense better than Frank or Josh, but the dude can't create spacing and he'll be running units that will probably need some offensive punch.  The situation feels like that football adage, "if you have three quarterbacks, you probably have none."

On the other hand, you have lesser versions of Kemba and Dragic's skillset in THJ and Hardy so that adage cuts both ways.  

I guess it comes down to what you think this team needs.  Kemba, in my view, is nice insurance and makes trading THJ, should the opportunity arise, much more comfortable.  Ditto for if Spencer or Luka need to miss some time.

As we sit today, I don't want Frank or Campazzo getting any burn.  Give Josh those defensive minutes.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Jommybone - 10-14-2022

Campazzo hit 35% from deep his first year in Denver. Fell off year 2. I wouldn’t be 100% sure he won’t knock down wide-open looks here.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 10-14-2022

(10-14-2022, 02:30 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Can't speak from my own knowledge, but several have commented that Bledsoe's defense is toast.

Interesting considering he was second team all defense the last time he was on a relevant basketball team the bubble season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Hypermav - 10-14-2022

(10-14-2022, 11:59 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: You want to exclude the NBPA player representative and one of the three members of the leadership council?

You forgot Sith Lord.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - ballsrchr - 10-14-2022

(10-14-2022, 12:11 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Well Kemba is being waived.  Would you prefer him or Campazzo?

I would prefer Campazzo.  I think Kemba is toast, both mentally and physically.  Campazzo is a tough, tenacious, pesky defender and an underrated point guard.  I like Frank, but Campazzo is easily the #3 point guard--if the Mavs sign him.  Vet min?...right?  I like it.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...he's short.  So am I--maybe that's another reason I like him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - HoosierDaddyKid - 10-14-2022

I'd prefer Kemba, but nobody listens to me anyway, so there's that...

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Kammrath - 10-14-2022

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1581083291243147264

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - sterlingmallory - 10-14-2022

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1581139880402296832?s=20&t=KOnkRDFiZ4B54A9A6_r3kg

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Chicagojk - 10-15-2022

(10-14-2022, 11:35 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1581139880402296832?s=20&t=KOnkRDFiZ4B54A9A6_r3kg

Man, you certainly cannot say the Mavs aren't deliberate.   Longest free agent chase for a minimum player ever.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - DanSchwartzgan - 10-15-2022

(10-14-2022, 07:19 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: JM__________CW__________    __________JM____MK______
DS______________MK______    ________DS______________
RB______________JG______     __________RB____________
SD__________TH__________    ________________SD______
LD_________________SD___    ________LD______________

The first quarter above held to form almost exactly.  Predicting Josh would enter before the second quarter was a small step out onto a limb that actually happened.  Luka leaving before quarter end was the prediction that didn’t work out (but was addressed in the body of the post).  His leaving early would be a way of better accommodating getting Spencer back in to close the half.  But, that didn’t happen.

I was wrong about several things regarding the second quarter.  First off, Wood picking up his third foul three minutes into the quarter meant McGee coming in about 3 minutes early.  Frank cut Greens run short by subbing in for him.  But the main thing was who finished.  I anticipated they would set up the pattern so that Maxi and SD would close with Luka, DFS and Reggie.  Instead it was Wood and THJ.  I have no idea if Wood closing is their plan (Maxi closed a week ago), or just an accommodation to the fact Wood was short changed on minutes because of foul trouble.  The interesting one to me is Hardaway.  Both times they’ve kind of shown us the planned rotation, THJ was prioritized as a closer over Dinwiddie.  Something to watch.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | Gm 1 Oct 19 - Hypermav - 10-15-2022

https://twitter.com/KirkSeriousFace/status/1581413960175144961?s=20&t=DEDmBy9zIl1Qh51lOZEsUA

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | Gm 1 Oct 19 - Chicagojk - 10-16-2022

I tend to be more negative in my Mavs projections.  Last year, I believe I thought they would be 6 or 7, I think.   So take my predictions as a grain of salt, but I have them 7th in the west.    Maybe I am discounting Luka way to much and if he is playing as a top 5 player, the team will not slip that much.    I just think the west is really tough.  Outside of 2-3 teams, you will need to play well to win each night.   I just feel there is one or two things missing on this team that will pop up throughout the season.   I hope I am wrong.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | Gm 1 Oct 19 - Jym - 10-16-2022

(10-16-2022, 07:55 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I tend to be more negative in my Mavs projections.  Last year, I believe I thought they would be 6 or 7, I think.   So take my predictions as a grain of salt, but I have them 7th in the west.    Maybe I am discounting Luka way to much and if he is playing as a top 5 player, the team will not slip that much.    I just think the west is really tough.  Outside of 2-3 teams, you will need to play well to win each night.   I just feel there is one or two things missing on this team that will pop up throughout the season.   I hope I am wrong.

I think a lot depends on Luka's health in terms of regular season wins. If we get lucky and he plays 80+games then a top 2 seed is very much on the table.
But being so Lukacentric scares me when the playoffs roll around especially since all this regular season work is going to wear him down

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | Gm 1 Oct 19 - Chicagojk - 10-16-2022

(10-16-2022, 08:06 AM)Jym Wrote: I think a lot depends on Luka's health in terms of regular season wins. If we get lucky and he plays 80+games then a top 2 seed is very much on the table.
But being so Lukacentric scares me when the playoffs roll around especially since all this regular season work is going to wear him down

watching the dress rehearsal, my first thought was we are too Luka dependent.   It is tough not to be, but it would be great to have other ways to attack defenses consistently.  Hopefully other options are up to the task. 

I don't think we see 80plus game from Luka.   Look at most of the stars.  They miss games.  I am going to account for 10-15 missed games from Luka and Dinwiddie (hopefully not more).   Those 10-30 games making up for missing either is what troubles me.  

One thing that would increase my optimism is if they prove last years top 10 defense was not a fluke.  When I look at our personnel, I don't think it is top 10 defense worthy.  But if they are good on defense, their offense is more than good enough.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | Gm 1 Oct 19 - DanSchwartzgan - 10-16-2022

(10-16-2022, 08:23 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: watching the dress rehearsal, my first thought was we are too Luka dependent.   It is tough not to be, but it would be great to have other ways to attack defenses consistently.  Hopefully other options are up to the task. 

I don't think we see 80plus game from Luka.   Look at most of the stars.  They miss games.  I am going to account for 10-15 missed games from Luka and Dinwiddie (hopefully not more).   Those 10-30 games making up for missing either is what troubles me.  

One thing that would increase my optimism is if they prove last years top 10 defense was not a fluke.  When I look at our personnel, I don't think it is top 10 defense worthy.  But if they are good on defense, their offense is more than good enough.

I also worry about are the games Luka takes “off” while he is actually in the lineup.  We have lost some ridiculous games during his tenure when we were still trying to create credibility.  Now that Luka has tasted the conference finals I could see his effort against weaker sisters going one of two ways.  

1. He could show effort and make sure we win all of the games we are “supposed to” win, thus helping seeding and home court.

2. He could be even worse at showing full effort against weaker sisters knowing the only season that really matters is the post season.

I hope the strong bench comes into play here and they are able to overwhelm the benches of other teams.  The top three in the West seems fairly set (though it rarely works out the way it is projected to, even when the projections seem obvious).  I could see an argument for any order of finish among Dallas, Phoenix, NO, Minn and Memphis.  It wouldn’t shock me if any of those teams finished 4th, but I’d be least likely to put money on Minnesota.  

The prediction part of this is further complicated by looking forward to second round opponents.  Is there anyone from among the top 3 that you’d prefer to share the bracket with?  We won’t know until we see what teams look like after the deadline.  With so many more teams tanking this year, someone is going to make one of those trades that a fantasy football commissioner would veto and it could change everything.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | Gm 1 Oct 19 - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 10-16-2022

(10-16-2022, 08:58 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I also worry about are the games Luka takes “off” while he is actually in the lineup.  We have lost some ridiculous games during his tenure when we were still trying to create credibility.  Now that Luka has tasted the conference finals I could see his effort against weaker sisters going one of two ways.  

1. He could show effort and make sure we win all of the games we are “supposed to” win, thus helping seeding and home court.

2. He could be even worse at showing full effort against weaker sisters knowing the only season that really matters is the post season.

If Luka shows WAY NO. 2, then this season will be a disaster.
Wood is the current Robin of this team, and this Robin isn't made of sturdy stuff.

If Batman shows any disinterest.
Robin will return just as much, or even worse.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | Gm 1 Oct 19 - HoosierDaddyKid - 10-16-2022

(10-16-2022, 08:58 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I also worry about are the games Luka takes “off” while he is actually in the lineup.  We have lost some ridiculous games during his tenure when we were still trying to create credibility.  Now that Luka has tasted the conference finals I could see his effort against weaker sisters going one of two ways.  

I hope the strong bench comes into play here and they are able to overwhelm the benches of other teams.  The top three in the West seems fairly set (though it rarely works out the way it is projected to, even when the projections seem obvious).  I could see an argument for any order of finish among Dallas, Phoenix, NO, Minn and Memphis.  It wouldn’t shock me if any of those teams finished 4th, but I’d be least likely to put money on Minnesota.  

The prediction part of this is further complicated by looking forward to second round opponents.  Is there anyone from among the top 3 that you’d prefer to share the bracket with?  We won’t know until we see what teams look like after the deadline.  With so many more teams tanking this year, someone is going to make one of those trades that a fantasy football commissioner would veto and it could change everything.

So your top 3 are GS, Denver, and the Clipps?  That seems fair I guess. But everything is fluid as you well know.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | Gm 1 Oct 19 - Hypermav - 10-16-2022

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1581756525541871616?s=20&t=I3Q6OfRgqeUZ7_Ts4ntd-A